Options

Running in the rain

Comments

• Options
    I can assure you all, I am the most unfit and most overweight here so there, I beat you all well and truly (wow, I finally get to win something), god I'm proud :-)
  • Options
    U/A...put vaseline in the potential chaffing areas and you are fine for long runs and rain. The good thing about running in the rain with only a vest and shorts on..is when the inconsiderate drivers splash you with puddles....the dirty greasy water doesn't weigh you down!! :-)
  • Options
    Just been out in the pouring rain and it was great, no-one about, no dog-walkers apologising for their dogs wanting to play. Never wear a long sleeved jacket but have worned a gillet as a wind break when it gets a bit colder up here in Aberdeen.
  • Options
    a gillet?...sounds painful!
  • Options
    there are now some waterproof running caps - Hilly (ron hill) i think and poss Nike do a drifit one

but what about those folding polythene rainhoods you used to buy in woolies - my nan always had one of those in her handbag in case it rained !!
  • Options
    well, I'm looking out of the window at the moment and it looks like its night time out there and I'm due to go for a run. Don't know if I can face it. I'm going to get my brand new trainers all wet and dirty too ;-)
  • Options
    LOL Bune! I remember my nan making me wear one of those things - the rain always sounded SOOO loud in there!
  • Options
    Hey Jane M, it's a bit nippy up here in the granite city today. I'm doing 90 minutes this evening and debating looking out some colder weather clothing as once the Sun goes down it'll be turning cold.

For what it's worth. I wear a light showerproof top (golf style top) when it rains with the addition of an extra layer underneath and gloves and a wooly hat for the really cold days in winter.

I love running in the rain.
  • Options
    Susi, we must suffer ignominius fashion moments for our fitness
  • Options
    what, getting my lovely new trainers wet?
  • Options
    Yes, go on get out there and get them dirty!
  • Options
    You don't want girly looking clean ones do you? A couple of inches of mud will do them the world of good!
  • Options
    but have you seen it out there, its torrential, not the bit of rain I've been talking about :-)
  • Options
    Well, look at it this way - if you can go out running in this weather, you can go out anytime.....just chuck yourself in at the deep end, it's fun, honest!
  • Options
    Just posted a new thread on the gear section regarding my new Concurve Rain Jacket.Interested to read everyones views about running in the rain, but i can say i,ve no problems with my new Concurve Jacket.It,s the old adage thing,you get what you pay for.Concurve are a bit pricey but worth it.
  • Options
    This is proper real weather running time of year. I'm a fresh air freak, but dislike asummer because I over-heat something rotten and sweat all the time. Autumn comes and you can do some decent running without going red all over.....Anyway, 'cause I know that I'll definately be getting dirty as well as wet when it rains, it's old trainers, t-shirt, old cut-off tracksters and a cheap shower-proof lightweight jacket. Still get wet and warm, but it keeps most of the muck off your back and stops wind-chill. Occasional car drvers can usually see the jacket.
  • Options
    Why does it stop raining as soon as you step inside the door- sorry if i deviated
  • Options
    Roof leaks, so it doesn't stop for me...
  • Options
    Long runs I'd probably wear a wooly hat (if winter) and jacket, never leggings though. Shorter runs (up to maybe 6 miles) just a t shirt and shorts. It does wreck your shoes doing too much running in the rain though.
  • Options
    whats rain?

sorry, living in Southern Italy - couldn't resist it. OK! OK! - I'll sod off now then
  • Options
    Interesting that other people feel they overheat when running. I thought I was the only one who could look like a beetroot that has just been through the hottest pickling factory.

I did the Wycombe half this year when it was 28 deg in the shade. Mistake. I nearly died in the last 3 miles. The only comfort was that I ws not the only one who seemed to feel it.

PS I enjoy running in the rain too - feels liberating and, naturally, a whole heap cooler and more refreshing.
  • Options
    Jackets are for wind or really bad weather, not for rain. Skin is waterproof.

My theory is that fit people sweat more because your body gets trained to get rid of excess heat.

Rain running is pleasant so long as it isn't horizontal.
  • Options
    I seem to be different from absolutely everybody in that I cannot stand any cold at all for the first 10 minutes, let alone wind chill. I have an immune problem and do get colds, very easily - not just colds but bad lung infections. You all are so lucky!!!! After 10 munutes I am usually okay, but I have to start out really warm, especially around the neck and shoulders, so what happens is that I wear a heavy sweatshirt WITH its XXX hood and then take it off after that 10 min and then lug it around my waist for the remaining hour plus. Ditto only more so in the rain. Have a fairly good semibreathable jacket, now, with hood, natch. I have tried several types in the last 10 years, however, and all have the same problem - when the hood is on and tied up (you know now how I must look if anyone is looking in the rain) I cannot look up because the hood does not permit unless I manually hoist it up by the neck. One of my running club colleagues called me Father Christmas when in my red sweatshirt, which almost put me off running. Any ideas? How about a scarf for the neck - and then there was the year of the ear infections...........ear muffs anybody? But whatever I take, I have to store on me when I warm up.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I *love* running in the rain! I have waterproofs that aren't really, but I don't care.

Rain is fabulous, life-affirming stuff and it makes the woods smell gorgeous.

And when people see me running in the rain they *know* that

1) I'm a nutter

2) I take my running seriously, no matter how slow I am.

:o)
  • Options
    well thanks for all the comments yesterday and today. I did finally get the courage to go out for a run in the TORRENTIAL rain of yesterday. It felt absolutely exhilarating. Felt a big of a pratt but didn't care. My teeth were chattering for the first 5 minutes but once I'd warmed up (which I do very quickly) it felt brilliant. Bring on the rain :-)
  • Options
    yipee!! adn wasn't it fun?! but, did anyone else notice a lack of runners out there? numbers seem to have dwindled almost overnight. Is it the onset of autumn? Have they all started to lay on fat to survive the long, wet winter??!
  • Options
    I hardly ever see any other runners anyway so I've not noticed the difference. The only person I see regularly is a little old man who must be at least 75 years old who always runs along the A4. I'd love to be still running at that age too. He does a fair amount of mileage too, he's great. Unfortunately I never see him when I'm out running, only when I'm whizzing past in the car.
  • Options
    yeah! I know what you mean. There's this old lady who runs with her dog; don't know how old she is or even what she looks like 'cos I haven't managed to catch her yet... but one day... one day
  • Options
    I ran yesterday in the howling gale and rain and a young chap also running gave me a thumbs up and said 'good effort'. Felt ridiculously chuffed.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoy running in the rain and cold. Not quite so enamoured of strong wind but sadly they often seem to go together. Winter sorts the real runners from the summer lightweights!

When it's chilly I'll swap shorts and t-shirt for running tights and a long-sleeved top. If it's bitterly cold I wear a light fleece on top and gloves. The worst part for me is that the cold makes my ears really sore but I get far too hot if I wear a hat, so I usually just put up with it.

I definitely run a lot better when it's cooler, and running in adverse conditions always imparts that extra feeling of smug self-satisfaction when you get out there while everyone else is indoors.