Options

Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Options

Hi all - many thanks for the good luck wishes for tomorrow.  Unfortunately I have had a bit of a cold ever since I got soaked through on Wednesday.  I'm still going to be able to run but think I'll have to take it a little easy this time.

Well done on all the miles this morning.  Glad to hear the injury is holding out OK Girlie - am sure all the core and resistance work you've been doing will be paying dividends in your running.  Some ((())) for RP and anyone else who needs it.

Off to find safety pins and more tissues now....

• Options
     good luck tomorrow bec hope the cold doesn't slow you down too much
  • Options

Evening everyone.

S'berry, all that talk of Switzerland is making me so jealous. Glad you didn't get broken in to.

Q, well done on the 4 miles today. Hope the smartcoach works as well for you as it does for me. I would definately try to do too much without it I think.

RP, thats really good news about going private... you will be sorted so much quicker. Don't quote me, but I think cartilage is what they look on an xray for when it comes to your knee.

Girlie, thats great about managing your running well this week, and you shouldn't put yourself down about your speed... I've seen your time for a mile on fetch image and when you weren't happy with 1:40 for a 10 mile race while ill, I am sure my face turned green with envy!

Seahippo, great weight loss and well done on the run at such a fab pace.

Bec, hope you are feeling fit and well and have a good race tomorrow.

I did 22.26 miles today from South Shields promenade to home (at snail pace... 4:19:59). The hills added up to 1363metres of ascent which is about 7 times higher than I need for Loch Ness. At 18.5 miles I went through a really bad patch and had to run/walk until I got to 20 miles where I gave my head a shake and ran the rest of the way.

I'm hoping tired legs after my biggest mileage week has contributed to the slowness and knackeredness today. image

• Options

Cabbey- cheersimage  I'm enterign the management phase of this injury, at the moment it is more important to run 3 x week rather than distance.  Hopefully I can start building on it over the next week or so.  See Mrs M on Monday for massage session anyway.

Well done on your runimage  18 miles is where everyone struggles to get through.

• Options
     great running cabbey
  • Options

Hello all

Another busy day! Ran 8 miles this morning, hurt a bit towards the end but enjoyed the run...longest run since Hm back in March!

Cabby - well doen on your mamouth run...make sure you give yourself time to recover!

Sea - Hippo - well done on the fantastic weight loss!

bec - good luck for tomorrow!

• Options

Evening all

RP - glad you got your referral and hopefully your apointment really soon.

Girlie - well done on your run - wouldn't mind some of your current speed!!!!

Sea Hippo - glad that your wife's knee is ok and well done on the run and fab weight loss

*pass Bec a packet of tissues for tomorrow*  Good luck for tomorrow

Cabbey - well done on your looonnnnnggg run today and hope you have a nice relaxing day tomorrow - you earned it

MWW - well done on your run - hope that any aches feel better tomorrow

Evening Q

I don't want to go to bed image even though I know that they have got him and all doors and windows are locked image

• Options

well done on the run MWW

s'berry you should be ok now

off to bed now goodnight all

• Options

Hi everyone, I am a complete beginner ! I am giving up the evil sticks on monday for good !!!! And thought it would be a great time to start running which is something i have always wanted to do !! I do exercise but have never attemped running because i thought it would be too difficult.  I have got the trainers (& patches) ready and was just wondering if anyone had any advice/motivation ?

• Options

good morning all

welcome to the thread Kathy. have you got  a training plan, if not then try the training tab at the top of the page and look at the beginner's plan. good luck and keep us posted on your progress

• Options
     just back from my run 8.42 mile's in just under 1 hour and 30 minutes a bit faster than the schedule
  • Options

Good running Q

Boot camp here today.  A friend came round to see what I do as she is thinkign of asking for a similar program from Mrs M as well.

• Options

Are you still enjoying it Girlie?

Great running Q how are you finding the smart coach?

Hi Kathy, I joined this thread on the back of giving up 40 marlboro a day 2 years ago so happy to share my ups and downs - welcome and good luck!

Hi Mrs B (((()))) I gather you've had a horrid experience

Great running MWW

Unbe***leivable Cabbey - great going you

Hope today wasn't too snotty Bec

Great advice and astonishing patience RP

• Options

good evening all

well done on boot camp girlie

SF smartcoach is ok  finding it difficult to stick with the pace sugested as i don't have a garmin so i don't know how fast i've ran till i log it on fetch

• Options

Hi Q - it looks a bit regimented to me but interested to see.

Powderham castle 10k today image

• Options

SF- definitely, getting a little bored with these exercises now, but they will change on 21st!  The results I have had are being noticed by my friends( unless they're very polite and pretending well!)

• Options

Powderham Castle Cancer Research UK 10k

Having bailed out of my last two events I was looking forward to actually competing again. It was always going to be emotional day but because of that I felt confident of running a bit quicker than last year (44.52) and beating pb (44.13) - loads more people than last year (947 apparently) and I gave full service to the warm up (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=104857&id=550413253&saved#/album.php?aid=104857&id=550413253&ref=nf) and the minutes silence image and joined the queue behind the flag saying 'runners' image

The first k starts through long grass up onto the service road and i (ssshhhh) went with the leaders. After a k in 4 mins decided to ease off a tad and got into a lovely rhythm on the flat part down to the railway line and all the way along it - running a really even pace and finding it incredible that people weren't passing me and the people ahead hadn't all dissappeared into the distance.

It might be corny, but I was truely inspired from somewhere today - k's in 4.09 4.07 4.12 4.17 4.14 4.09 4.21 4.18 were topped off by a screaming 3.55 for the last one. Apparently I was 9th (having been out sprinted at the line!).

I reckon I did my Sister proud today.

I appreciate that the top local runners don't appear at these events but I'll take my moment of glory image

• Options
    lol Girlie - looks pretty good from here image
  • Options

Ah, SF... lovely report, and well done for coming 9th ... thats fab! The photos are great too.

Well done on your run today Q, the smartcoach times are quite difficult to stick to aren't they?

Welcome to the thread Kathy. image

S'berry, hope you are feeling a little easier today. My Gran was broken into once and she felt a bit uneasy at first, and at least they got the ones from your way... they never did catch them up here!

Bec, I hope your run went well today.

Girlie, hope your change of exercises are good.

I'm feeling ok today. I thought I'd be aching everywhere but I must be getting used to this running lark (finally) image

Min, Can you put Taggy, Trots and me down for the Barns Green Half Marathon 1st November please. image

• Options

Big congrats SF that's fantastic racing - you certainly did do your sister proud.  Hope you enjoy your trip up to Manchester next weekend as well!

I also had a 10km race today albeit a much slower one!  Cold felt better this morning but I'm still a bit congested.  Felt OK when I started running but really struggled to keep my breathing under control and felt knackered from about 4 miles.  The course was mega flat and would have been great PB potential - even feeling under par I came in at 52.06.  A little disappointed but I suppose there is always next year!

Now what can I remember from my read back....

Some ((())) for S'Berry - how awful for you.  Hope you managed to get some sleep in the end.

Lots of miles from MWW and Q and even more from Cabbey - glad the legs are holding up OK!

Welcome to Kathy - I find this place a great motivational tool.  It's quite hard to back out of something when you've told everyone your plans and they all pop in to wih you luck/ ask how it went!

Well done on the exercises Girlie - bet you're looking forward to a change!

Think that's everyone.... apologies to anyone I missed.  Please blame the cold which is giving me that weird slightly deattached from reality feeling!

Oh and whilst I remember... would the list keeper please add the following for me:

25 October - Gin Pit 5 miles (no actual gin involved sadly)

29 November - Salford Ladies 5.25 miles

In post race race entry mode again.  Many thanks!

• Options

Well done Bec still getting out there and a pretty good time too.

Am running with my Brother next week (going to be a toughie emotionally) He only started in May and is hoping for something around the hour - I'm going to run alongside him

The Gin Pit 5 sounds interesting...

• Options
    Wolverhampton Marathon - Our 35 th FM in 4:39

After feeling unwell yesterday - bad head, sore joints , mentally subdued, snowed under with personal problems ,I didn’t go expecting to do more than a HM, Though I did know that the HM would NOT be a problem, just a formality as such, time wasn’t a worry, but of course the FM is a totally different story in every aspect

but as the morning unfolded, seeing and chatting to friends, I just kept myself calm, relaxed and positive, I went through my normal routine of changing and preparing, I never let anything let me differ or detract me from that
    Phillip’s comfort and warmth is paramount to me - but of course I do have to look after myself

So, off we went, I would not push any pace, a comfortable 2:10 HM would suffice - but lingering in my subconscious deep would be - am I up to a FM today, and this remained with me, The FM if I were to carry on would be based on stored energy, and tactics and the want and will to survive, as my training now - a - days isn’t good

I clocked off the miles quietly, laughing and having fun, and re- assessed my physical and phsycological standing regularly

I quickly realised that I was in ok good form, I was feeling good, which was a surprise after yesterday , so I just kept cool, kept going , NO heroics - as I went along, I started to concentrate deeply on FM distance, the course has changed greatly , so I had No idea what to expect, I wasn’t even bothered

Marathons runners should be prepared and go expecting the unexpected , and for me today, as I’ve run Wolves many times my tactics paid real dividends , but my ultimate decision on switching from HM to FM would come much later around 11 miles or so

I knew that 26 miles today would ONLY come from my legs strong and my physiological stamina and strict mind structure, so I had to work on this, I knew I could handle the pain , but I didn’t want to struggle on the second lap just to say I’d done another marathon - that was NOT on my agenda, but I did have to make a decision soon, so after around 10 miles after the hill my mind was made, I was running relaxed, I felt strong, a 5 hour marathon would suffice

The HM came to an end in around 2:05, that wasn’t even on my mind, the new course didn’t bother me in the slightest, but this FM did, I wanted it badly, so onwards through 14 and 15 miles, now - I had to just run the streets and bends and junctions as I arrived at them, sore joints started, but I could handle that - I moved towards 20 miles, I was happy, really happy,

I felt a little fatigued and really sore for the first time around 20 miles, but I was fully in charge, I knew there was only 6 to go, I could handle that with NO problem
    I felt proud as I moved on running All the way through 21, 22, 23 miles, then I savoured the last bit, 24 well, I was half in tears and half laughing, came to 25 and I just chilled and jogged home,

I felt real good, tired of course, but I was so happy, i had never lost control, today would stay with me for a long time finishing in 4:39

Could’nt quite believe it myself - but I had proved to myself I can still do it

Now for Robin Hood FM next week
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome !

I am really dreading tomorrow because of the smoking and the running, Oh and it's my little boys first day at nursery.  A new start all round, I shall let you all know how I get on tomorrow - thats if I've not collapsed somewhere.  Mmmm maybe I will need to wheel a tanks of gas and air round with me I've got a strange feeling that I am gonna need em image

I am gonna go and smoke rest of my packet now I can't have em hanging around in the morning !!!

• Options

Good for you - I was climbing the walls but I started running the week I gave up and was horrified by the appalling condition I was in - I honestly couldn't run a mile (I was 39 then and 42 now) and now I've ran 1 marathon 8 half marathons and goodness knows how many other races. The running became part of my battle against myself - which I won image

Please make sure you have shoes appropriate for your running gait.

Please turn off email notification from this thread you'll be inundated.

You'll get all the help, advice, encouragement, hugs, kicks up the ar$£ etc you'll ever need on the INSPIRE thread (I know I did then and still do now) - stick with us Kathy image and we'll help you get off the fags and on the road....

• Options
    Right todays efforts (and a lack of sleep!) make kevin a tired boy.....
  • Options
    Night SF.  Good luck Kathy.  And well done Mick - an inspiration as always!
  • Options

Wow ! What an achievement SF !

I could do with winning a battle or two, I am gonna do my best.  I am so glad I came across this site it has made me more eager to get going.

I have bought some asics gel 140 or something like that anyway!  I hope they are ok as it was a bit of a spare of the moment thing.  I guess I didn't really think about it untill I had a look on the net yesterday.

How many times a week did you start running ??

• Options

Hi,

Newbie to the forum here.

As you can see by the nickname an antipodeian, now living in Cambridgeshire. 

Back home as a kid I was a fair to reasonable 5k cross country runner making regional events on no training before hand...what I lack in speed I make up for in enduranceimage.

Anyway, now I am about to hit the big "four-oh" next year, I am kind of thinking I should make the effort to get a bit fitter and generally practice what I preach, given I am forever telling patients to do more exerciseimage. Weight loss - well 3-4 kg would be nice, but realistically I expect to lose cm rather than weight.

Am training for the Sandringham 10k (dang, I hate fundraising), and in the last week or so have finally broken the barrier of "Owww! I hate running, it HURTS" - can now do 30-40minutes in one go, all be it rather slowly.

I've fortunately got a very long legged Irish neighbour who comes training with me and kindly sticks to my pace while he is recovering from a knee injury - we managed a 90 minute cycle cross training today - albeit it was supposed to be 60 minutes and nobody told us the route would have a 10 mile gradual upwards gradient before a 6 mile slightly less graudal downward gradient!

Tomorrow will be another run, and I am trying to work out how to do the Swedish "speed-play" technique to help get my body at least used to the idea there is more than one speed when one is running.

Anyway, that's me, I only came on the runners world site to see if I could work out my "next" run, because I figure if I have one paid for, I won't wuss out of training.

Now to explain to my Scots partner that I am considering doing a New Year's Day run near Norfolk...so if he wants to cheer me on, we might have to curtail the first footingimage.

Helen

• Options

SF well done, a great run  and result

bec good running from you especially with a cold

mick awesome as usual

kathy good luck tomorrow

welcome kiwihelen don't worry about speed just yet that will come later

off to bed now got an early start in the morning

• Options
     good morning all, first day of my new school run