Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

What's VFF? i've just searched it on the gear section but nothing came up.

• Options

2/11/09  6 miles  1:02:50

Well yesterday i got up at around 8.30 am to go out for a run only to chicken out when i looked out the window.

Lounged on the sofa for most of the morning peering out the window every so often praying the weather would cheer up.

Around 12.30 weather cleared up so got myself ready for my 6 mile run i had planned.

The weather was overcast and V windy.

The course i had pre planned was main road all the way.................made it a bit awkward as i had to cross main roads several times so had a couple of pauses in my running (a few short rest breaks without visibly stopping for the sake of stopping.

1st mile done in 9.35 (always start faster than my comfort pace)

2nd mile done in around 9.45 (still faster than normal pace)

3rd mile done in around 10.15 (good pace for me considering wind)

4th mile done in around 10.20 (steady pace now)

5th mile done in 12.35 (disaster as phone rang twice, problem with running when on call)

6th mile done in 10.20 (another steady pace to finish)

Got home and was happy with the time and how my body felt and managed to stay dry even though there was plenty of puddles for cars to soak me with.

Glyn.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Got out yesterday for a run in two parts, with one mile of very slow, start-stop toddling along the incredibly slippery paths nearby, followed by a decision to move onto the roads and run at a better, looser pace.  Is everyone noticing how dangerous those leaves are at the moment?  After the first mile I decided to stop for a static stretch, to complement the warm-up, hoping that it might combat any issues caused by my feet sliding in two different directions!  Anyway, the first mile and a bit took me over a quarter of an hour, but then ran for about forty minutes at light effort heart rate, averaging 135bpm, recovering from yesterday's LSR.  It's very difficult to stay down at the pace required, but I felt like I could have carried on running for hours.

There was a lovely patch of the run alongside the river Ebbw, one of my local rivers, and looking at the effect of the last week's weather I'm very glad I didn't slip in.  The path's fairly safe, but it was pitch black under the trees.

Probably around 5.5 miles at a guess, as I haven't logged into mapmyrun yet.  Maybe 55 mins at recovery pace.  Not sure how long it will take the shoes to dry out.

Jogwatch - 0

• Options

Wanted 5 miles today but settled for 3.57 miles after a an hour on the bike.

Only running every other day to give the ankle a break.

Weather looked good today so thought I may as well get a short bike in, only 16 miles, then striaght in to the run. 

feeling terribly unfit and ploddy but 3:57 in 26:06.44 is 7:18m/m which isn't that bad!image

• Options

Lunchtime run today. What can I say? Well RAIN should just about cover it. If that wasnt the heaviest rain I have run in then it would be in the top 3. (New Zealand 1991 springs to mind)

Did a slightly new route today, same roads but some different switch backs and directions etc. Steady and comfortable-ish pace pushed it on a couple of the hills. Through the golf course there were 0 golfers, surprised the course was open considering the weather.

Anyway 6.16miles in 45:21.53 7:22m/m which is ok for me considering it felt pretty ok.

New profile pics eh Marshallini

JogWatch 1 (getting more usual to see others these days)

• Options

did 5.45 miles yesterday 1hr1min think i am starting to improve it wasnt a hard run

i have running club tonight

• Options
    Focussed on longer speed sessions today.

Did 2x2 miles at goal Half Marathon pace (8.4mph). Completed the first one in 14:19 and the second in 14:15. Averaged just over 77% of MHR for both reps, peaking both times at 84% of MHR.

After this, I did 2x1 mile at 10k pace (9.2mph), completing both miles in 6:28. Averaged 80% of MHR for the first mile (peaking at 85%) and just 77% for the second (peaking at 85% again).

Overall, I'm really happy with today. I showed that I can turn out consistent miles and that I'm well on course for achieving my race goals. I wasn't floundering during either workout, I felt strong and I could have kept going for longer if I needed to. My HR percentages are also encouraging, as I have until March for the Half I reckon I might be able to revise my target if I keep on course.

Overall, 6 miles in 41:23(excluding recovery periods, of course).
  • Options

0630  Sneaked out in between heavy showers for a slowish tour of Crosby & Blundellsands.  Quiet on the roads and a lone runner to acknowledge.  Slight hamstring tweak is keeping me away from even the gentlest of slopes.  Neither lungs nor legs turned up for this one.image

5.2 miles, 44:21, JogWatch: 1 

• Options

crikey it's cold, makes me run faster though, lazy bum that I am.

4 miles tonight in the pitch dark with a full moon to light the way - that and my head torch and all my hi viz malarky.  Tonight was the first time this autumn I've been proper cold on a run, I don't like to run too far on dark nights from home - no pavements, no street lights, lunatic farmers in 4x4's, kamikaze peacocks etc.  So, I am really glad that I have finally joined a running club, it means that at least one of my mid week runs gets up to 6 mile mark.  Anyhow, a good run tonight, a bit of musical fartlek going on tonight listening to the glories of Florence and the Machine and the Buzzcocksimage and home for a shower and lemon chicken made by Mr S yummmm

• Options

Hello All

I have dipped in and out of this site for years with not much running going on inbetween!

I have been lurking about for a few weeks and you guys have motivated me to get out a few times if only for a few gentle miles.

Just done 45 mins and feel great so I thought I would say Hello and hopefully perhaps stick with you for a while...

Regards

Worcs Red

• Options

D2D - respect for your times - congratulations. image  Do you always run the same route though?  I get bored with routes very quickly and try to mix it up as much as possible but I have a low boredom threshold!

I was going to run today - got dressed in my gear and about to head off when the heavens opened - and they opened for hours!  I ended up chickening out and doing 45 mins on the bike instead.  Indoors!  Congrats to those of you who braved the weather today.

• Options

D2D- How are you doing it??? - 7mm is pretty good going. I don't know why but in my head I thought you were a lot slower than these recent postings!?

Went out in the pouring rain to meet up with club mates- 5 chaps & me..... image

Luckily the rain stopped so it was cool & pleasant. Chose a hilly route & tempo'd (me flat out) up each hill. 

Not quite 6 miles but with 6 hills in it felt like a decent workout.  

Getting a pain in my foot when I take my trainers off - OK while I run though. Guess I should check out the injury threads..... ??

• Options

D2D:  Why not schedule one speed session permernantly into your weekly training? All the hard work has been done training for Abo so you don't need to go much over 10 mfor a long run unless your planning anything further than a 10K. Also have you thought any more about joining your local club as this may help with specific speed work too.

Another easy commute to work in the rain this morning. When I first headed out it wasn't raining but had my jacket on anyway and was starting to overheat but when the rain arrived I was glad for the limited protection otherwise I would have ended up getting really drenched. Wasn't able to notice much as I had to take off my glasses as they kept steaming up which was weird.

5.18 miles in 39' 15" @ 7:35mm

Jogwatch 0

YT: 815, MT: 11

• Options

03/11/09 -   4.32m reverse -    37'27
    With aching legs from Sunday I had to go out. My thinking was that I could run the aches out of my limbs. I set off just before 8pm with the intention of running to the top and back. To be honest after stretching I felt pretty good. I set off up my road and dodged the gas barricades up to and past the "Arms".  Crossed over at the library and carried on up Long Lane. I was moving quite well. Only problem was I had no drink but I took a chance. As I approached and passed Pratt's I decided it was 4+. The run down the A4020 was great, nice and steady. From just past the Greenway to before the main RAF gates I ran in virtual darkness as no streetlamps were working on my side. Only lit by on coming traffic. i reached the RAF point 19'54, OK I suppose.
    I dug in to run up Park Road and had a nice run down Honeycroft. Ran OK along the slight rise of Sweetcroft and I managed to get through the lights OK. Had some chick runners to chase along Windsor way past the bus stop. I passed them and set off up Grovesnor. i saved a last sprint up my road to finish. trying to push out the last soreness. After a nice bath my legs feel a little better.

jog Watch - 3 

• Options
    shelscrape wrote (see)

home for a shower and lemon chicken made by Mr S yummmm

Was the yummmm for the chicken or mr S?image

Welcome Worcs red.

Nothing done by me since my double session over the weekend.  Gym tomorrow then club Thursday.

• Options

club run tonight. new bloke there who went off like a greyhound, meaning it was a good couple of minutes faster than last time. am starting to enjoy this running with company malarkey.

5.31m in 49.53

oh, and welcome worcs red, hope to hear more from you in future!

• Options

Wow - lots of great running going on at the moment and welcome to all the new posters.  Tonight was back down for a normal club session and once again managed to get the youngest son to come out with me.  After meeting up at the light house we jogged round to the housing estate and did a warm up lap of the estate before getting down to the hard work.  We started off with the 800m lap with recovery and by the time we had done this our group leader had arrived so the hard work really started then.  We then did a 400m section followed by recovery and then 800m lap followed by recovery.  It was then up to 1200m with a recovery before doing 1600m and recovery.  Finished off the session with another 800m followed by two gentle laps of recovery before jogging back to the lighthouse. 

Will be looking forward to my next club session on Thursday as over the next two days we have the dreaded Ofsted Inspection happening at work.  Lucky old me I get to meet one of the inspectors to talk about the Pastoral work that I do as Year Co-ordinator.  Thats what I like about running as it gives you chance to forget about everything else that is happening and concentrate on the running!

• Options

Training for a HM, with target 1hr 45 mins (last one was 1hr 55min, so probably v optimistic).  One never knows what one is capable of though.  You can if you think you can!

Last run this lunch at the gym.  Speed sessions for 45 mins, 500m quick and 200m recovery.  Managed 6K in 35 mins, and it is getting easier.  Done this for 1x/wk for 3 weeks. 

Live in HK and yipppeeee!  Finally getting cooler (only 25 degrees today) so find am running much better (than when it was 32 degrees every day and 90% humidity).

• Options

SPsyduck nice running for your speed sessions. Do you mind me asking where you are running these. Have you got somewhere flat where you can run them? Seem like a good work out to me.

D2D i have been v impressed with your recent times and your progress in pace. Maybe it is simply the strength you gained training for the Mara being put to use in short sessions with more effort. It is interesting to me, because I used to run all my runs hard when I started and I improved dramatically over a very short period of time. Now I am trying to follow a more structured plan. Mainly because I wanted to increase my mileage.

My times are getting better again (after a period of levelling off) and for a while I thought it was just because I was trying harder and pushing myself but of course I was only able to do that because of the increased miles I was putting in.

Re your 10k I think you should really go for it. You will certainly go under go under 7m/m I am sure. You are already!!! You are obv used to pain running marathons, this is a short distance (for you) and the finishing line is never that far away! Just dont leave anything out there image