Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Saturday - me and trainer both chickened out due to horrendous weather!

Sunday - knee still giving gip, so aimed for 15-20 mins easy plus strides. Got a sudden pain in my ITB at one mile, so walked a bit, then jogged the last few minutes home. Humph.

Yesterday, ITB was painful on every step. Today, doesn't hurt at all, but a bit clicky. Did pilates this evening with no problems.

Meeting trainer tomorrow instead. Who knows what will happen!

Hmm, really starting to get annoyed with this whole ITBS thing now!
  • Options

Great news on the Brass Monkey, Swittle and Dr Dan.  Us Northern folk will have to meet up on the day! 

Tonight was back down to club for a speed/rep session.  7 of us out tonight so a good mix of abilities which meant different start times for us so that we all more or less finished together.  Started off with a good warm up jog before completing 6 x 400m with jog recoveries in between.  Once again my times were steady and consistent so its pleasing to know that I am maintaining my times throughout the session.  Hard work battling against the wind tonight and ended up with a headache because of it.  Nice soak in the bath when I got in soon sorted out the headache though.  

• Options

Did my Midweek Long Run a day early so

8.01 miles in 58' 06" @ 7:15mm

Jogwatch 0

YT: 878, MT: 74

Hills tomorrow

• Options

Just a quick scheduled 2 miler for me this morning!!image

Did 8.34 miles in 18.31mins. 7 mile tempo run on Thursday to look forward to at 5:15am!!image

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Bit late, but I'm posting yesterday's run.  I meant to head out at lunchtime but got caught up with stuff so got changed the moment I got home.  Did a recovery range run as I wasn't feeling it, so after a little bit of a jog to loosen up headed off in the light drizzle with the headtorch.  Trying to keep it within the 130-140bpm range.  It wasn't the world's greatest run; I could really feel it becoming an effort to keep up the low pace in the last couple of miles.  It's odd given that I took Monday off completely, so maybe I'm on the edge of a cold or something.

What was surprising was that my speed for the average HR was up.  I wasn't expecting improvement yet but this is becoming a trend in my recordings.

11.87km, 66:55mins, 135bpm ave, 10.63kmh

jogwatch 1

• Options

Did my hill run as promised but had to cut short by a couple of miles as the wind at the top of Cumnor hill was too strong to run against so I ducked in a Side road and looped back home. I still managed to achieve a sprint up a particularly steep bit of the hill. Not sure what to do tomorrow now so will play it by ear.

5.78 miles in 43' 46" @ 7:35 mm

Jogwatch 0

YT: 884, MT: 80

• Options

club run last night, couple of new folk turned up, so there were a couple of walking breaks to keep everyone together. probably a good thing as otherwise it was feeling like harder work than it should have done, think i'm still not 100% with my chest.

bad news is i turned my ankle coming off a kerb towards the end of the run, felt fine last night but really quite sore to walk on it today. thankfully it's my day off so and i'd no great plans so am spending the day off my feet with an ice pack. fingers crossed it sorts itself quickly, seems there is a master plan conspiring against me running the Clowne half!

5.41m in 56.33

• Options

Turbo - 30 mins @ 90-92 rpm (= 19+ mph)

VideoWatch - Above the Law 2
    Haircut continuity error watch - loadsimage

Run - 4.48 miles - 32:10.31 -  7:13m/m (last mile 7:17.55)

JogWatch - 7 (5 were Gary and his Wednesday Ladies group)

A lot windier than previous two days but I still would've been slower as I felt tired.

• Options
    Knee was feeling OK today, so I went out with my trainer, and did the session my physio recommended (after telling me off last week for doing too much).

15 mins easy, 5 min walk, 10 mins easy.

Knee held up well, and the rest of me found the run quite easy, which was nice! Maybe the end is in sight...

My trainer showed me the "alphabet" leg exercise as well. Very good for building up all parts of the quads. If you're interested, you lie on your back, neutral spine, then tense all four parts of the quad from the inside of one leg outwards (quite hard the first few times to isolate the right muscles). Once you've got that sorted, you lift the leg a few inches off the ground, then spell out the alphabet with a straight leg. Works all the muscles for a good minute or so. Repeat on other leg!
  • Options
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Ow.

Yesterday's run was bad.

It wasn't raining when I stepped out of the door, then about half a mile later it was.  Then it rained harder.  Then it kept raining but came down harder again.  Finally, it rained hardest, and kept raining that hard.

There was wind too.

So I started to feel this irritation across my chest after about two miles.  I'm thinking "It's okay, I'm not going too far today."  The irritation gets a little worse so I make the decision to run whilst holding my t-shirt off my chest.  That works well, and I run like that for a mile or two, with just the occasional slacking of the hold.  Unfortunately the next thing that happened, after about four and a half miles, was I got to the steep hill of the run.  I needed my arms, but running more slowly thought it would be safe to drop the t-shirt and wear it normally.  The irritation was immediate and intense.  I looked down, and my luridly luminous green t is turning pink in two spots.

Well, I turned around and headed direct for home, of course.  The other thing I did was lift the front of the t-shirt up over my head so it's resting on the back of my neck.  This eases any irritation and keeps my arms free.  It also exposes me to the wind and driving rain, and exposes me to the drivers coming through the lanes.  Luckily there weren't many of those on my route, though I did manage to shie a horse in a field - they're sensitive creatures, not used to bare-chested humans.

Maybe a 'short' run was better anyway.  The shower afterwards was pretty short.  I've also learned a lesson, and that is to cover the pointy bits if it looks like rain, with strong, waterproof plasters.

11.48km, 57'43", 149bpm ave, 11.93kmh

Jogwatch - who are you trying to kid?  Did you see what it was like out there!!?? imageimage

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Last run before Sunday's 10K.image

Another Race Pace Programming session, exactly the same as Tuesday's.

Brisk jog to the canal (1 mile), 8:03 min/mile, 138 bpm. 1:15 minute stretch.

INTERVAL 1: (1 mile) 6:59, 159bpm (average) /166 bpm (max). A bit too fast and not something I could mainatin for 10K.

2 min rest/stretch and then I went again..

INTERVAL 2: (1 mile) 7:02, 160/168 bpm. Again, it was too fast.

1:20 rest/stretch and then a jog back uphill at 9:16 min/mile. No aching foot ... no tachycardia ... no niggles at all. image

So, the lesson I learned today is ... don't run at 5K pace for a 10K. I will have to be pretty disciplined on Sunday or else I'll fall apart at 6-7K.

• Options

Very envious of all the good running you guys have been doing. Good luck on Sunday Dr Dan

Went out on Tuesday took it easy but again felt my right ankle after 3 miles so turned for home. Not nearly as bad as last week did 4.33m in 33mins but later felt a bit of stiffness in my calf and below the knee so wonder if I was not running properly because I was worried about my ankle?

Today I went out and tried again, concentrating on running as I normally do, felt pretty good and took it easy and, low and behold did not feel any pain in my ankle at all!!! Only did 3.59m but prob enough for now. Think I will run a few more of these short runs taking it easy over the next few days and see how the ankle feels but fingers crossed I may be on the mend YEAH!!

Will keep stretching etc and see how it goes.

• Options

set off on the middle route to work this morning but quite ealy on something wasn't feeling right in one of my legs. A dull ache started which felt like it was bone related and nothing to do with the muscles. Took it easy but in the end decided to cut the run short and not risk an injury. Fortunately I now have two rest days before my next planned run so hopefuly things will feel better by then.

4 miles in 30'  11" @ 7:32 mm

Jogwatch 0

YT: 888, MT:84

• Options

Normally, by Thursday i have 3 or 4 runs in the bank. Just got in from only my 2nd run of the week & an 18 mile total so far.

Was so grateful for Mondays rest day & it felt great on my Tuesday run. Got home from a long working day 20:30 last night, too tired to run. Had a bowl of rice & 2 cans of beer, shower then bed. (wide awake from 4 to 5am!)

9 miles this evening & it felt awkward & unfamiliar.  So; one rest day-good. A second, enforced rest day-bad. I've got a school reunion on Saturday night so not sure what Sunday will look like either.

• Options

I FEEL ON TOP OF THE WORLD image

Just got back from a run with one of my mates. He is in charge of the running club at my uni but only 3 of us turned up, me him and another girl who is fairly new to running. She didnt know how far she wanted to go so we decided to do a 3.2mile lap around the local area and then at the end of that if she wanted to do more she could.

We did it at a good pace for the girl finishing in 25minutes and she was really happy with herself but she couldnt do anymore so we dropped her off at the start and me and my mate decded to run it again, but to try and beat the 20minute barrier as we are working our way to a sub 40 10k (his PB is just over 43mins and i have yet to do my first race).

We didnt look at our watches, just ran hard in hope to beat the 20minute barrier. We got back to the finish and stopped our watches and it was a huge shock to see the time was 18.08! I would have never thought i could run that fast, the last time i tried to run hard and work out mins/mile i was on about 7.19mins/mile but what we ran for the second 3.2 is more like 6mins/mile!

So as of this moment i'm actually starting to believe i am a proper runner and i will actualy one day be able to do a sub 40 10k with my friends! My original plan until now was to have fun and aim for about 43mins but would be happy with anything under 45!

Feel like shouting my achivements from the rooftops im that happy image

3.2miles in 25.17 then another 3.2miles in 18.08!

jogwatch: 3

• Options

Nice work Boyddieimage

Turbo - 30 mins - 10 minutes @ 85 rpm - 1 min standing climb while the video rewind - 20 mins @ 85 rpm bigger gear than yesterday.

VideoWatch - Above the Law 2 then Top Fighter.

Run - Same route again - I wanted to break the 7 min barrier for this and set of not overly quick but determined.  Spotted a runner at the other end of the A5117 section so the pace picked up a bit, passed him before the Grove.

Got to Hope Farm and the wind was blowing which made this little climb twice as hard. HIt the final mile loop and to be honest didn't think the sub 7 overall pace was on, but i thought Id' still go for the last mile in under 7 mins.

Picked the pace up with about 400m to go and again once I was on Yeoman Way  - Last mile 6:53.4

4.48 miles - 30:49.67 - 6:53m/m

JogWatch - 1.

• Options

D2D- guess you're not a fan of those 4 legged canines then? (neither am I especially since 1 tripped my friend up a few weeks ago & sent her sprawling)

Club reps tonight which were a good distraction from the worry that my eldest went to Thailand yesterday & hasn't emailed or called to say he arrived safely....... 

7 x 400m @ 1.34 (1.40 last time)

1x400 @ 1.20 (same as last time but beat the boys this time!!)

Legs a bit sore so resting tomorrow as have Elan Valley 10m on Sat.

• Options

another steady run with the club tonight, a fair few hills in, starting to see them as doable rather than impossible, although not exactly speedy out tonight. Ankle still a little tender going down stairs but fine while running so fingers crossed it was a storm in a teacup.

5.76m in 58.09

• Options

Did my scheduled 7 miler this morning and left the house proper early again!!image

1st 2 miles were great and then got to the double back point on my run and WALLOP the wind was against me!!image Next 4 miles were harder than I hoped and I struggled to keep the sub 8m/m pace going!! Just about managed it but took it out of me!!

So much so that the remainder of the run (warm down mile and a bit) I ran at 10m/m pace!!image

7:38miles in 1hr 2mins @ 8.24avg. (middle 5 all about 8m/m).

Anyway another 2 miler in the morning before work again, hopefully less windy!!image

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Was meant to be a easy run today as was due a rest day but managed about an 1 hour 4 mins. I did a new route which included a lap of a big road not far from the house. After the first lap was only at 31 mins so went round again.

Don't know what the change is but the past week or so I've had almost limitless energy (time now being my restriction) so it felt good the whole way round, even the hills!

Downside was my right calf threatening to cramp at times and now developing a blister on my right arch.

Was raining and a bit windy but that just adds to the satisfaction on completion.

Use Nike+ but not always accurate so believe my distance to be 10-11km.

• Options

D2D what do you write about?

No run for me today as using enough energy stressing abut the forecast for tomorrow. image

• Options

Nice one D2D!!image Thats good going!!image

Did my 2.1 mile route this morning as scheduled, did'nt even take the Garmin though as it was LASHING down!! Got back and looked like a drowned rat!! Looking forward to my 1st ever 9 miler on Sunday!!image

• Options
    *Sigh* coming back from injury is so tedious.

Out with my trainer again today. My knee had been feeling really good, but it was annoyingly niggly on the run. We did 15 mins again, then a few mins walk, but cut the second run second short 'cos my knee was hurting. Grrr.

It'll come. Eventually.

Bumped into a club member I used to share lifts with, and we had a quick chat while she drove along side us! Hopefully back with the club in the new year.

Keep well all!
  • Options
    Keep at it SG, comng back from injury is never nice but at least now your getting better you can run again! I hated coming back from my stress fracture, i couldnt fnd the motivation to go out but stick to it and it will be worth it in the long run! Hope your knee stops hurting so you can run properly again! Sensible to stop when it started hurting tho!
  • Options
    Afternoon peeps.

First run since Tuesday for me - felt a slight twinge in the left Achilles Tendon after that session so took a few days off to let everything settle down (I've decided to use this as my low-mileage, rest week - had a few tough weeks, training wise).

So went back out today to see how it felt. And it felt pretty good, no discomfort, and I did 5.22 miles in 42:17 (8:06/mile). Averaged 74% MHR and peaked at 79%.

With the days off, I felt really energetic but resisted the urge to go balls-out. 14 miles tomorrow.

Jogwatch - 3, I smiled and said "good morning", but they were all serious and didn't look at me image
    Cyclewatch - about 7 or 8. The cycleroute predictably busy on a Saturday morning.
    Adorable-Chocolate Labrador Puppy-Watch - 1 image
  • Options

7 miles trail, beach & some road around Crosby.  Not cold, but he SE wind made a stern opponent.

1 hr, near as dammit, JogWatch: 0