Options

Advice needed from docs or pharmacists

I've recently been put on a 5 day course of erythromycin for a chest infection and a steroid inhaler to control my asthma. The doctor didn't say anything about not drinking alcohol whilst on the medication, but I know that it is a general perception that you shouldn't drink whilst on antibiotics. Is this correct? We've got friends coming for dinner tonight and because I've been ill, I haven't had an alcoholic drink for a fortnight and would quite like a glass or two of wine tonight, but will it stop the antibiotics from working?

Comments

• Options
    no not really
    sorry I was going to contact you and maybe say hello when I was in belfast but missed my plane and got there very late
  • Options
    As long as you don't drink so much that you forget the next dose of erythromycin you should be fine, Coco. Anecdotally, some people seem to find that alcohol worsens the nausea that's a common side-effect of erythromycin, but there's no real evidence of an interaction.

The only commonly-used antibiotic that you really mustn't drink alcohol with is metronidazole.

Enjoy your dinner!
  • Options
    Thanks V-rap. I'm much happier now!

Uh, Alan....?? I think you may have me confused with someone else. I have never been anywhere near Belfast in my life.
  • Options
    That may be the OTHER forumite formerly known as Road Runner, Coco. He does live in that corner of the universe.
  • Options
    Just to support vrap's comments about metronidazole. I was put on this several years ago and it said on the bottle "avoid alcohol". Well, that's a bit like "30mph" isn't it?

The bottle should have made it more clear. Something like "Drinking alcohol whilst on this medication will make you very, very ill" would have been closer. Had a half pint of lager, felt as nissed as a pewt and then started throwing up big time. Put me off alcohol for nearly two whole weeks.