Options

Wokingham Half-Marathon

18910111214»

Comments

• Options

My Garmin had the distance at 13.14 miles so correct enough there, though i agree they've added 8 seconds to the chip time to cover up the fact they cocked up the gun times in the first place

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i did an even sillier race today...timings spot on to the second, but the course was an absolute farce...loads of stop dead u turns, arrows showing you up a blind alley which you had to come back down, runners from the other direction thundering at you...terrible scenes!!

Hotel Olympia 10k! poor race

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

On the Wokingham start/finish lines... how far would anyone say they were apart? In the general hustle and bustle of the start I didn't take much notice but would they have been about 6/7/8 seconds apart?

I started my watch the first moment I heard the buzzy overhead lines but can't recall how far down the next set were. My watch time matches the official chip times as they are now but I had gained 7 seconds in the first set of results so perhaps there is an answer here somewhere? Or something wrong with the batch of chips?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

aint you at work today McBood? And what odds I come on here 2mins after you post!

You seem to be the only fella who seems to think they've got the right time now...the rest of us think we lost 7-8 seconds.

The key was checking the electronic clock on finishing, which unfortunately you missed, as the clock for me was on 1:19:50 the last time i looked, about 1metre from the finish line and gun time came out as 1hr 20 dead!

therefore, whatever happened with the chip the gun time certainly didn't match the clock at the end that gave the times.

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

Finished at half 1. Yep forgot about that bit with the clock time though. How long did you reck it was between the start and you getting over the start line Stevie G?

My guess would be they switched on the wrong wires then at some point realised the mistake (before I got over the line but after you did?)  although not sure how this would affect the gun times scenario or even if this is technically plausible.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

heck knows now.

i started the watch where looked right, though probably not the right place..althoguh i actually came away thinking i was gonna have time taken off my watch time of 1hr 19 06...not added!

to come out as 1 19 21 is a joke..and not a funny one. especially as the main evidence is the gun time being 1hr 20 dead when i was on the finish line at 1hr 19:50

there';s no way 10 seconds passed between then and 1metre to the line!

still...should mean the pb is easier to beat! lol

• Options
      I entered this event after  reading the reviews from previous years.I felt a little underwhelmed with the run.And will not be entering it next year.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep..once bitten twice shy.

maybe Reading next year?

• Options
     Wycombe half is a far superior run.
  • Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭
    Agree with you there. Have done it twice but hope to do it again this year if I'm up to speed by then. Being held in the summer maybe naturally makes it feel better but it is all round better. Good support, goody bag full of goodys, top medal and a t-shirt. Not the most scenic but not all samey for 13.1 miles and that nice downhill at 6 miles to look forward to.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I did the Goring 10K yesterday and they had chip timing issues as well, which they put down to the pouring rain and general wetness. I wonder if something like that made the Wokey electronics go a little haywire?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not a good time for chips at the moment then!

Ironically i did a terrible 10k at Hotelympia on sunday but the chip timing came out absolutely spot on to the second! Funny old game eh.

Did wycombe half 5 years in row from 2002 to 2006, but injury ruled me out in 07.

a 5 a side footy tournament the day before made me do the 10k the last 2 years, and there was a major screw up in the 10k last year, with no marshall on a key junction! Gave me my most frustrating result ever, in that i came 9th when i was battling for about 5th at one stage. But the others went the wrong way and did about 400metres less, with 2 people beating me who were well behind, and the other 2 i'd be battling with just having a free ride!

grrr 9 months on

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

At least they apologised most profusely for the Wycombe 10k  problem last year , and I know the Marshall in question's ears are still ringing!! The thing that gaulls me about Wokingham is the seeming intransigence in the face of what seems to me to be overwhelming evidence!!

Marlow Half is the best local half in my book (even if the price is getting a bit silly - you can pass that on MR G image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hehe fair dos bus boy. Half marathons seem to be going up everywhere at the moment. A good job most of us, bar legends like Mick N Phil only do a small amount a year!

ps 10k pb down to 37:03, but on a ropey non pb course...might be up for the Eastleigh 10k on 28th March if you fancy a very fast course, and cheeky little drive down to the coast?

As for Marlow...did that one twice before i properly joined the Striders, remember being absolutely shot at the end, especially the first time when I was less fit!

as for the Wokingham debacle...it'll probably sit in my little catalogue of race gripes for some while along with the Wycombe 10k, and getting a time of 40:02 rather than the sub 40 i thought I got at the Mortimer 10k back in 2006!

Who says runners are anoraks!image

• Options
    mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Bracknell Half Marathon, this is the best race of the year in this region at any distance!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doesn't that have a stack of hills?

i quite like Bracknell with it's great running areas like the lookout etc...but not exactly fast terrain...what's the course like?

• Options

Hello

Bracknell - start and finish at South Hill Park - mostly on the cycle paths of Bracknell - surprisingly green!  Towards the town centre, through Priestwood, up a long slow hill (not steep, just long) through Warfield, then out to near the rugby club/Running Horse roundabout, and back to South Hill Park around the back of Crown Wood/Forest Park.

So not rural but almost traffic-free.

Always been a good 'little' race for me.  Have not managed to do it for the last two years but previously a great medal and t shirt

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stevie G - you must be gutted with those 3 seconds!

I'm away 28th unfortuantely, but doing one of those Dorney lake ones the w/e before  - hopefully to crack 37 mins on a pancake flat course (fast, as long as its not windy!). There's stil places if you're about and a lot nearer than Eastleigh.

Marlow Half's definitely got everything (except pb potential!) - even starts with a bang! Quads hurt for a long time after mind!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was more gutted by the fall!

good luck with your dorney...a club mate who hadn't broken 40mins managed to get a great 38:22 there recently...even if they did have a sillier chip si9tuation than even Wokingham. Apparently the chip only kicked in after about 40seconds, as the start was too narrow or some cobblers!! Also my clubmate;s chip didn't work...so no evidence he actually ran it...just kidding Des if you're reading this!

so...37:03 but the fall and course were plain silly, so hopefully anywhere from sub 37 down to low 36 is possible, we;ll see. Probably have to educate myself to run shorter races a bit faster after Wokingham, but it's all good at the moment!

Oh yeah..can't make the Dorney one..unless it's on the saturday, as watching Man Utd v Poon on the sunday 21st.