Options

What in the CD player

2»

Comments

• Options

Have to admit that I can't really call myself a country "fan" - though I was brought up listening to both C&W and heavy metal! Things like Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, Boxcar Willie, Crystal Gayle, Dolly...

I've found myself gravitating that way in the last couple of years, because it's one of the few places left where you get great melodies, songwriting, singers etc.

I like the "hat" acts as much as anything, which is what I was getting a kick out of at the CMAs - though I couldn't make head nor tail of Travis Tritt! I love Faith Hill, though she's getting poppier by the album (she's still good, but I prefer her country side). And it's one of the few genres in which I can really listen to female singers properly (sorry!) - I think Reba McEntire is great, also Martina McBride ("Independence Day" was just a brilliant song) and Trisha Yearwood. But, like I say, I'm only just starting to actually BUY country music - other than Faith!

So I'm learning slowly - any recommendations?

• Options
    Copperhead Road by Steve Earle. Anything by Nancy Griffiths. Nothing by Eva Cassidy. (Dont even go there). Dancer with Bruised Knees, Kate and Anna McGarrigle. Wrecking Ball by the sublime Emmylou Harris.
  • Options
    Don't know if you would strictly classify it as country, but if you get a chance, listen to Linda Rhondstat's version of the Eagles 'Desperado'...amazing!!!
  • Options
    Usksider - Blackfoot! I can't believe it, there's a balst from the past. Blackfoot were support on the first concert I ever saw (Scorpions, 1980, Liverpool empire).

Mr A - I'm not a big country fan but if you like Faith Hill then you must like Shania Twain? I buy a lot of CD's and have been tempted to go down the Country route but have not yet found anything contemporary enough.

At the moment I'm into a vein of discovering progressive rock.
  • Options
    In the autochanger:
    1 Mozart Clarinet Concerto in A
    2 Dixie Chicks - Fly
    3 Jimi Hendrix - Best of
    4 Blondie - Parallel Lines
    5 Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
    6 Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Inside the car:
    Cream - Best of
    Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces
  • Options
    Mr A, not much into women country apart from Shania Twain , The Dixie Chicks and a bit of Dolly,
    Garth Brooks (the best)
    Brad Paisley (Joint fave with Garth)
    Alan Jackson (brilliant)
    Travis Tritt (very good)
    Brooks and Dunn (very good)
    Mark Chesnutt Quite good)
    George strait (slow stuff)
    and loads to many to mention......

Dont like the old country and western music,
    just modern and new country and as you say, Hat music, will have to upload a picture of me in my hat, then again better not.....
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Had to change my 3 in the car (I get three the wife gets three) because Daughter #1 doesn't like 'boys' singing.So had to ditch PWEI,New Order & the Ramones.

Replaced with Saint Etiennes new album 'Finisterre' - brilliant , Basement Jaxx get a reprieve with 'Rooty' and Best of the Smiths (a 4 year old can't have it ALL her own way....)
  • Options
    Ummm...

Schizoid list:

Goldie: Timeless
    Massive Attack: Blue Lines
    Supergrass: Disc with 'Moving' on it - superb song.

Or:

Mahler: Ninth Symphony
    Schoenberg: Moses und Aron
    Reich: Desert Music
    Schubert Heine Lieder

Or:

Ella, Duke Ellington and Count Basie

I like to keep an open mind...

DC
  • Options

Dustin - St Etienne! Thanks for reminding - that's just been added to the Crimbo list! Saw them a month or so ago at the Royal Festival Hall, and they were brilliant.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Shania Twain, though I do have one of her albums (someone gave it to me!). She was better than Mariah on "Fame Academy" though...
  • Options
    The Smiths - Singles
    Coldplay - Parachutes
    The Cure - Staring at the sea
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    U2 - Best of
    Radiohead - OK computer
  • Options
    MartinH - carn't beat the old classic rock acts like Blackfoot!

Have you lot checked out all the MP3 sharing sites? You can get a completely eclectic set of tunes to suit any running mood.

Not that I'd suggest for a moment robbing hard working bands and music executives of much needed royalty payments....but purely in the cause of promoting music check out www.grokster.com.
  • Options
    In the Black chariot's tape player:

Little Grey Rabbit stories(read by Hannah Gordon - serious chill out)
    The Big Mog Tape
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Paul Weller - Live Wood
    Trance Nation 3
    Pulp Fiction soundtrack
    Grateful Dead - Without a Net
    Louden Wainwright - More Love Songs
    REM - Dead letter office
    Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Astbury Park
    Maria McKee - Life is sweet