Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options

Morning all and new folks (and old )come and have a chat sometimes  running is talked about but not at the expense of normal gossip about every subject under the sun that what makes this such a great lounge to be a member of. As for running well I don't, as for long bike rides I don't as for swimming I don't so what the hell am I doing here??. Just enjoy seeing everyone getting on in there daily lives and the support which all the nice people on the forum give each other.

On the subject of oldies (jammie ) does anyone know how Beanz is getting on ??  she is the only Waister I have met in the flesh image

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise that you'd met, Beanzie, Westie - she's a nice lady and I do miss her. As for 'what the hell are you doing here?' - you provide a calming influence for us youngsters imageimage
  • Options

Morning peeps, and welcome Denise and Mark image

I seem to have an anti-plodding injury. Having worn sensible shoes to avoid injuring myself for months, after a week of heels, I've given myself shin pain! It's a sign to get out there plodding tonight...

Talking of which, going to the gym after work. Get the harribert ready if you catch me lurking instead!

• Options

Actually, Westie, you provide not only a calming influnce but a great example (you may not run or cycle but your hill-walking is legendary---I still remeber when you nearly got stuck on the deer fence image) and with Scott now literally running for Scotland, you're a champion supporter too! So don't be too modest image))))

FP, thanks for the link. What a very good charity to run for. The smaller, local ones are often the best cos you know what's happening with your money and you can see the difference it makes. Oh, and happy birthday to FP jnr!!! And now that you have a teenage daughter....here, have a drink!

Mark, welcome! It's good to see you, so please come in and tell us more about yourself. As to advice, I'm no expert, but a couple of thoughts. First, as Daffs said, you sound like you are trying to do way too much, way too fast. That will not only make you hurt, it can actually injure you cos you're asking muscles and tendons and all that to do things they aren't yet strong enough to do. Build up slowly and you will feel better, enjoy it more, and be much more succcessful in the long run. Look at the training schedules on this site, or look  here. Jeff Galloway is an Olympic runner turned coach whose run/walk methodis brilliant---people have actually improved marathon times using it, and if you follow his training programme you won't get hurt. Second, have you got proper running shoes that have been fitted by a proper running shop? It has to fit your way of moving as well as the size of your foot, so you need a shop that will do a gait analysis. Look here for the basics. Third, weight loss may take some time, both because you need to do quite a lot of exercise to use calories (this is where run/walk helps, cos you can keep it up for longer) and because as you get fit fat converts to muscle, which is actually heavier. So you need to give ittime. But as Daffs says, are you starting to FEEL better? That's key. On other things, there's a lot of good info on this site. Have a look at the articles here for a start. Most of all, pop back in here often for support and a good laugh, so let us know how you get on! 

Sluggie, so sorry the back is still bad. But do I see something significant in the way you're sniffing around FP's fundraising ride of *only* 510 miles???

WM, good news about not waking early....bad news about the bed! Hope you can fix it, but at least if all else fails a child can sleep safely on a mattress on the floor (as I know from experience...) image)

I did read back but have forgotten the rest ;-(( Had NINE HOURS of sleep last night and it's scrambled my brain! 

A holiday here: Liberation Day, which is now a holiday every 5 years. We're having a nice lazy time, might go look at a garden or something later but Mr C has a rotten cold and might be better just resting. 

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning - haven't been in for a while and it has taken aaaaaaagges to read back - can't remember half of what I read so not sure why I bother?

Welcome new people and hello Jammie  - <lots of welcoming comments, questions about your personal life and useful bits of advice>

Chuggy - re the cats needing the loo on a journey - put lots of towels in the bottom of the cat carrier and drive with the windows open after the deeds have been done - usually when you're on the motorway having just passed the services. Be prepared to have the entire of your car covered in all sorts of joy if you attempt to let cat out  - so speaks the voice of experience. Thinking of getting a roof rack for our next long trip.

Snaily - you can borrow my bike if you want image I'm a short ar$e so we should be able to get it to fit!

Had a few worrying days of late, but all better now. OH discovered a lump and was referred to the breast clinic in double quick time. Turned out to be a benign cyst and I saw it being drained on ultra sound  - eeeewwwwww image. The person who did it was a 'Dr Dog Leash' - so we chatted happily as OH was being pierced and prodded - I don't think she saw the funny side of it.

Happy ooh lookie it's Wednesday already

• Options
    Help! Does anyone have a goold recipe for flapjacks? I made the one from the NT Teatime Book but it's dry and horrid!
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Very glad to hear that OH's lump was benign, DL. Please remind me - are you going to be at Strattie this year?
  • Options
    FootpatherFootpather ✭✭✭

Sluggie, the charity is affilliated to Bradford Council but is largely self run through charity events such as this.  We had to pay £100 expenses and the rest is is paid for by corporate sponsorship where possible ie the vans we are taking as support are from a local Nissan garage and they are giving us a full tank of diesel in each one too.  One guy who is doing the ride owns a bike shop and he has managed to get us all some SIS stuff in large quantities so that we have it on tap, literally.  Our t-shirts will have the names of various sponsors splashed across them. 

We have a a minimum sponsorship of £500 to raise but I have done quite a bit of that doing raffles and a Christmas Hamper.

The last ride raised enough money to set up Bradford Disabled Cycling Club and we have various machines to suit various abilities and inabilities.   BDSL supports mentally and physically disabled athletes from starting out to BIG competitions ie Paralympics and especially the Special Olympics.

I believe there are 20 riders in total in two groups. The Sports (fast group, think M.eldy) and the Leisure group (slower especially me) but we don't get to take it at a leisurely pace.  The first day will be about 75 miles to Hull, overnight on the ferry then 100 miles from Europoort to Arnhem. Tuesday we do another 100 from Arnhem to Hamm.  Wednesday we have the day off and we have various things planned including the Bradford City Fire Disaster Memorial service.  Thursday we are going part way by coach to the next destination and then we are cycling only 30 miles into Utrecht.  Friday I'm not sure of the mileage but it is in the region of 65 miles I think.  Overnight on the ferry back to Blighty and then cycle back from Hull to Bradford.   (Hmmm, that's already more than 411 miles even without getting lost etc) It is shorter this time to cut down on hotel bills.

The authorities in Hamm are putting us up free in a youth hostel type place and they will really look after us while we are there.

Phew! sorry for waffling but Sluggie did ask image and it's nice to let the rest of you know what is involved too.

• Options
    FootpatherFootpather ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chuggy.
  • Options

FP, that's truly impressive. WELL DONE YOU!!!

DL, sorry, didn't see you there. VERY VERY glad that OH;s lump turned out to be nothing. Must have been a nasty few days for you both. Hope you do something extra nice now to celebrate!!!!

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Hoping to come to Strattie on the day - even if there are no WAISter racers, my brother and nephew have entered so thought I'd come along and offer the moral
  • Options
    FootpatherFootpather ✭✭✭
    DL, Pleased to hear that your OH's lump was nothing sinister. 
  • Options

Morning all.

Hello new people, welcome to the thread.

Errrr not really got much to say right now, struggling with black feelings again, thinking I might go back the doc's if things haven't changed in a week to see if I can get a stronger dose of Anti D's.

On a football related note, i'm off to Stockport this weekend with my friend to cheer on Tranmere Rovers in their fight for League 1 survival.

• Options
    FootpatherFootpather ✭✭✭
    ((((Jay)))) Not a lot I can say to help but get out for a run and I hope the endorphins will help lift your spirits a little.
  • Options

FP that puts any bike rides I have ever done in the shade, you must invite Noggy along it looks like his "thing" image

Feeling a "little" guilty at the moment as Mrs is out cutting the grass and I am on making coffee duty.

I met Beanz when she and the derby running club came up to Edinburgh and I was over with scott so we met up and said hello. 

Chuggy can't help you with the flap jacks but I had a great result making some "sticky toffee pudding and the cream sauce that goes with it it was brilliant even if I say so myself image

Will be heading off to the caravan later this week so hope wether warms up a bit we were planning a little trail walk and Mrs was keen to give it a go but thats out of the window for now.

O DL get a treat out for OH and enjoy the good news.

• Options

(((Jay))) Remind me, how long have you been on the antidepressants for? As I said before, it takes weeks to take full effect. I certainly felt worse before I felt better, then one morning I woke up and felt just normal, and that was great. Please don't rush to up the dosage unless you have advice to do so.

I'm glad you're getting out and about with friends. Please keep this up. It's very easy to cut yourself off when you just don't feel up to it. As FP says, try and keep up plodding too. It sometimes seems to take all the effort in the world just to put your trainers on, but you will feel better for it, I promise.

• Options

Morning..........

...........and what a morning too one way or another!!

DL - really glad OH's lump turned out to not be a worrisome type but must have been a bit scary (although being me seeing via ultrasound the draining must have been fascinating!)

Westie - good to see you back - how's the back feeling now?  Now Jammie's back you may meet some other WAISTers as she is one of the ones somewhat closer to you than us southerners.....

FP - will try and remember to sponsor you tonight from home - work controls re anklebiters makes it near impossible to do via work system!!

Gotta go but will pop back later

<waves in a worryingly cheery Daffyesque way>

• Options

Berry i've been on the Anti D's since the beginning of December last year. I felt like they were working etc, and i've had ups and downs, but the last week has been a real struggle. I wouldnt up the dose myself without speaking to the doc first.

I will continue to run, but i'm having an easy week this week.

And yeah the match on Saturday and a catch-up and a few beers with my bud should help also.

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    (((((Jay)))))))))) hope you're feeling better soon

Sounds like a fascinating trip to the hospital for you DL! But very glad OH's lump turned out to be less worrisome than thought. Not sure about your advice with the cats though image

Plodded myself this morning image Just 20 mins of ad hoc run/walking image Felt good, but legs a bit achey after Monday's longer run. Might leave it 3 days after a longer run in future...

In town now, about to do some PhD, but just had a lovely long chat with a lady at a stall in the Winter Gardens - she's from the guild of spinners, weavers and dyers (or something like that), and was knitting a cardigan with wool she'd spun from a fleece! Asked lots and lots of questions, and I'll be off to their open day - can foresee a new departure in cheery crafts heading my way some time soon... imageimage

Right, PhD calls or else I won't be spinning ANYTHING.
  • Options

afternoon (blimey you lot gossip!)

DL - Had a number problem with straty, however I'll be there from Friday afternoon so would be good to meet up (2 short-arses together!)   and glad OH lump is nothing too serious.

Mark - regarding your weightloss and running, they do not necessary go hand in had.  I've overweight by about 3 stone and since running on a regular(ish) basis since Jan I've only lost a 1 stone and that was with some serious dieting too.  It may be worth keeping a food diary just to see what your eating, I was surprised how much crap I ate!   BUT I have felt a lot fitter than ever and dropped a clothes size

I've fell of the diet bandwagon this week and going out for pizza tonight, so tomororw is a new day  image

Better get on, were short staffed and overworked!!!

• Options

Jay, I'm new on here so I don't know the history, but have you tried any other forms of therapy? I was on Anti D's for about a year but then I started talking therapy and that helped more than the pills did. Just a thought.

DL, good news about the lump being nothing too serious.

Went out for my run this morning. I got to the end of the flat road a lot quicker than I expected to so I ended up coming back via a steady slope. That, plus the fact it seemed really warm out there, made me struggle towards the end, but I did it and I felt so good after image

Ended up doing 2.46 miles in my 30 mins, r1/w1. I think I will do the same route again. It was really good for me. But I will stick with r1/w1 for another week. I may even do it backwards so I'm on the flat near the end when I am getting tired.

As I got home and put the key in the door, it started raining. Good timing.

My dad came up this morning and fixed WG's bed. I'll have to move their bedroom round later to stop them jumping from the window sill onto the bed. No rest for the wicked.

• Options
    (((jay)))
    dl - glad oh lump wasn't anything else - I too would have been fascinated by the ultrasound!!!
    Will you have to get a spinning wheel then daffs? Sounds good!!
    I've done all my ironing, had lunch and am just having a coffee before I do some assignment work. Just found out lectures cancelled tomorrow so that gives me a full day to work on it tomorrow and have Sunday earmarked too so hopefully will have 3000 words together by sun night!!!!
    Then I can start the next two image
  • Options
    Well plodded wm

snailes I am on the diet wagon after falling off last night!!
  • Options
    Welsh Mum i'm waiting for counselling, so just depends how much i've got to wait on their waiting list, i've been told I should hear something soon.
  • Options
    Hopefully it won't be too long and it will help you
  • Options

afternoon all

WM - you sound so enthusiastic image

DL - really glad OH is OK must have been a bit scary

((((Jay)))) hopefully just a blip

Westie - you've met OSN too - hopefully he'll return to us one day

FP - your cycle ride sounds amazing!

been in a meeting all morning - and it was actually really useful - shocker!

oops - welcome to the new chaps!

• Options
    Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭
    shock about the useful meeting Jenni!

Meant to say... Westie, I saw Beanzie when I went for my job interview - she's well, working, and doing lots of knitting! (in fact, she updated her knitting blog the other day for those who fancy a sneaky peak...).

When my new job starts, I will bizarrely be working in the next building to her, and so I'm sure will be able to reassure you that she's cheery enough on a regular basis! imageimage
  • Options

Right train tickets booked for stockport, £15 each so thats not too bad. just got to go pick the tickets up tomorrow from Chester train station as I wasnt paying £7.50 for them to be delivered tomorrow.

• Options

((((((((((Jay))))))))))) Hope the weekend away lifts your spirits, but since things have been quite stable and good for the last few months, it seems very sensible to go to the doc if you go on feeling low.

Flib, sounds like your academic stuff is going really well at the moment---hooray for you image)))))))

WM, well done you----sounds like a very good chug! And great that your father! coould mend the bed. But jumping from the window sill onto the bed.....don't you love the imagiative approach that kids take to life ?!??

Podds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

Morning..........

...........and what a morning too one way or another!!

Erm, would you care to expand on that, Poddles? Sounds like a hidden meaning there??

Daffs, if you've never got into spinning and weaving, you're in for a treat. One of my dearest friends and her husband do a lot of it, and it's ACE. I never got further than using a drop spindle (which is quite fun in itself) but there is SO much you can do. My friend made me a really beautiful rug, which she wove using very thin strips of old material (old clothes etc). Her husband now has a whole collection of spinning wheels, and spins all kinds of things (including the hair from their own goats and sheep) and then Bev weaves it up. They make all sorts of things, including fun projects. They were curious about linsey-woolsey, an the 18th century fabric (warp threads are linen and woof are cotton--or maybe vice versa) which they had read about it in weaving books but had never seen, so Bev wove some and then made an elegant 18th century style shirt that Doug wears sometimes. Yes, this is definitely your line of country image)))))

In the end we went to Noordwijk, a coastal village about 20 miles north. It's a big resort area, with a wide boulevard facing the sea, lined on the land side with cafes and restaurants. You can walk alone a path on the dunes with the sea on one side and this nice buzzy avenue on the other. We took Rossie, who loves it there, and had a nice walk and then a bit to eat in a 'strand tent', one of those little restaurants right on the beach. Very bracing, as the wind was quite cold, but there are clear plastic windbreaks all around the terace where you can sit outside. Mr C loves this, he used to have holidays in this area as kids when they rented a couple of rooms in a fisherman's houseevery year. In the summers the place is swamped with German tourists, as there are no good beaches in Germany, but the atmosphere is very cordial on both sides, it's nice, especially on a day like today. 

• Options

Afternoonimage

I am sorry I won't be at Strattieimage but I will be thinking of you and waving pompoms for whoever is racing.

DL - glad to hear OH's lump was nothing too nasty. I too would like to have watched the draining. One of my cats once had to have a cesaerean (sp?) and as it was 4am the vet couldn't get a nurse to assist in the operation so I helped him. I was there from start to finish and as he got the kittens out of her he passed them to me so I could rub them to get them breathing. Fantastic. 

Hi Jammie - good to see you back and glad that life has taken an up-turn for youimage

(((((((((Westie's back and Sluggie's back)))))))))

Well done on the plodding WMimage

Hi to the newbies.image

I have plodded for 1 hour and 5 minutes today. imageimage