Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭

enough tri talk, lets get back to some reps. First session since VLM - 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4 min with half previous rep time as recovery

4 min - 4:57 m/m
    3 min - 4:57
    2 min - 4:50
    1 min - 4:46
    1 min - 4:54
    2 min - 4:50
    3 min - 5:00
    4 min - 4:58

Legs felt ok running quickly, but still a lot slower than Marigold's reps last week

• Options
    TT, as far as I know the original injury is fine now, but haven't been able to test it.  re reflexology, I don't know too much, but wish I could have a hands on exam to see what I'd do with your knee image
  • Options

Those are nice reps coro.  I ought to try a bit of variation like that, I tend to stick to simple contstant interval reps, more out of lack of imagination than anything else.  I'd struggle to get to your kind of pace though, anything close to 5m/m even for a minute interval is a major achievement.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

PP/SL/RB - cheers for some excellent advice there. I'll find out this evening when I can pick it up. Obviously first few times will be just seeing how the knee reacts to it, and if it's fine then I'll play around with stride rate/resistance to see which is most comfortable. Very glad to hear I can work by HR on it. It will at least stop me from slacking off! image

Sounds positive on the run RB.

rfm - nope, it seems to be not so much the impact as the impact/motion combined. As there's more motion involved in the cycling I guess that would most likely balance out the removal of impact. I may try it when I get a few weeks down the line if all is going well though as I have the Boardman sitting there.

Nice reps coro!

TmR - you and me both. I just want a definitive answer as to what's wrong now so I can get my head around quite how long we're looking at for it. Good news on the original injury.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Coro - nice reps.  I think I'd need a slope or a bike (or both.  Weeeee!...) to generate anything starting with a 4 at the moment.

Just got slightly excited by a "ticketing update" e-mail for London 2012 but the highlight is news that the Olympic mascot will be unveiled tomorrow.  Woopeedoo!  Anyone else signed up for tickets, and how can I guarantee some velodrome action??  image

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

PP: I also opened this mail hopefully only to find that over a million have shown interest already; I'll be regularly checking my inbox tomorrow to see the mascots. Probably more chance of seeing some action if you volunteer to wear an oversized British bulldog suit or whatever else they're going to treat us to.

First interval session for me today since VLM (seems an age ago now): 8x3 mins with 2 mins recovery. The last couple were quite tough and it was pretty hot down on the seafront in Bournemouth at midday. Was hoping to be somewhere close to 6.00m/m for the Poole 10k on 6th June but not so sure now. Summer series (3.5miles) on Friday; that'll be interesting.

5.50; 5.53; 5.50; 5.51; 5.48; 5.50; 5.57; 5.56 m/m.

Strong reps from Coro there; flying.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Suggestion on the 2012 tickets - sign up for the volunteer pogramme if you havent already...you might get a good spot (you'll prob want to start with some experience before 2012 so try to do a few events this/next year if you can too) in one of your fav events...

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Mr Boat - nice intervals.  I feel weird running quick again first time after a marathon, even after a good recovery. 

Curly - Done!  Much as I like Mr Boat's bulldog idea, your volunteering sounds even more sensible.  Cheers for the suggestion!

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Curly: good idea for anyone living within range.

PP: As a bulldog you've alway's got the chance of hi-fiving Mr Bolt. Even Siralex has hi-fived the mascot.image

• Options
    Evening all

With all this talk of bikes and swimming I thought I would say hello and get things back to running.

Stunning reps coro. Bummer on the probs TT. Welcome back to good things PP.

Embarrassed to post here as I barely have time to lurk, but just to show I am still alive I ran the Dreiländer-Lauf (three countries run) half marathon on Sunday. An unusual event, that starts in Basel (switzerland), crosses to France, then Germany, and finishes back in Switzerland.
    After a fairly disappointing London Marathon (2 54, after 1 21 50 at half way: a half mara PB by 1 1/2 mins!), I have done almost no running, but planned to set off at 6mm and see what happened: aiming for ~1 19. Stuck to target almost all of the way, with 29 24 at 5 miles, 37 03 at 10K, 59 42 at ten miles, and 79m 38s at the end for sixth place overall and 3rd MV40 coffin dodger. A reasonably flat course, with kind weather. But lots of twists and turns, and occasional concern that I was off route in the last five miles slowed me down a bit (there was no one in front to follow!).

All in all one of the best runs I have had in a while. Looking forward to getting down to some solid prep for an autumn mara.
  • Options
    I never wanted the Olympics.

I'm a London ratepayer.

Went to Trafalgar Sq for the lunchtime announcement and was gutted when Paris didn't win.

It's all about legacies for the young they say. What about miserable old gits like me who are meant to keep smiling as they pay all the bills?

As for the mascot I recommend Dunstan the Turkey the failed glove puppet that got knocked out of the Eurovision Song contest qualifiers for Ireland.

Not bitter....honest.

Dull

• Options

Hail Hail

PhilPub wrote (see)

, and how can I guarantee some velodrome action??  image

Errr, get on your bike and do some training?

Bit easier for tickets for the Commonwealths up here 2 yrs later.

Oldshoes - tremendous.

coro - speechless.

• Options

Very nice TR - looks like seem decent weather too although I guess just a touch warm. Wish I could get into swimming - love doing tri's just not into the swim training at all.

Coro - Cracking set of reps. Do you do them on a track?

TT - nice bike too - any long term plans for that - racing/tri?

Oldshoes - well done on the dodger podium - sounds like a nice course.

You won't be volunteering then Dull!

Afternoon ran abondoned to a chilled bottle of white with OH - OCD must be fading as I get older!

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Oldshoes wrote (see)
    I have done almost no running, but planned to set off at 6mm and see what happened

Nice running Oldshoes.  I'm guessing you continue 'to live in interesting times' if the running has been curtailed?

I want to watch the Beach Volleyball in 2012.  Fast, dynamic sport with fit athletes - been a fan since way back when.  And Horseguards Parade - what a location for an Olympic Sport.  I've probably got fat chance of getting a ticket though because of all the pervs wanting to oggle scantily-clad ladies.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Coro - looks fast to me

OS - nice one on the sub80

Rfman - I was a nervous/carp swimmer and never had a road bike til 2 yrs ago - thats teh whole point of it for me. To see if I can improve my weaknesses.

I just ran a bit !

• Options

Nice reps Coro and  Mr Boat

Oldshoes - good to see you've got your mojo back

Great to see PP getting back on track again

TT - good luck with the X trainer

I did 77 miles on the bike today, it went pretty well, so I just need another 35 miles on top to make the full distance - a bit daunting TBH.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Njord - dont know what you mean
  • Options
    TR wrote (see)
    Njord - dont know what you mean
  • Options

Bit of a long read back after returning from Wembley in the same division we started the weekend. It's been difficult, but from what I can pick up through the tears:

Njord  - given that weekend, I'm disappointed the report didn't go into the fine detail in an hour-by-hour stylee.

Oldshoes - quality running, sounds like it could be a scenic one but probably equally likely it was through a multi-national industrial estate

coro - are those times legal?

TT - gutted that there seems to be a set back every week at the minute. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon

SL - a fine combination of speed and mental toughness there - while that time is out of my league anyway, I can never maintain a decent pace for long on my own

PP - nice running, glad the knee is (hopefully) on the mend. Also, thanks for mentioning the Olympics registration thingy. Usually manage to foget these things need to be sorted years in advance. You just slightly reduced your chances of Canoe / Kayak Sprint tickets

Last weekend racing types - all looks good to me

Edinburgh racing types - have a good one, and hopefully it won't be windy/warm/both as it seems to tend towards

Right, back to planning trips to Fleetwood, Histon and Barrow. And it could so easily have been Accrington, Bury and Hereford.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CRAB - you getting your bike out again next year - look whats on in the South next year !
  • Options
    TR - 10 x ironman in 10 days?!

(* faints and hits floor with a thud)!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL TR - can I get a swimmer stand in :¬)

10.5 easy miles RUNNING this morning.

I'm sure someone said we should talk about running in here
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - didn't know they'd moved that down South. That's just annoying - it's too tempting.

No training yesterday (working and looking at a possible wedding venue), but I don't feel too bad about that with Sunday coming up.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

tehre's no way I'm joining in that madness ! 

I ran a few miles last night, first time in T shirt and shorts in training this year

Bagged a turbo earlier and will swim later

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

getting warm ain't it image

funny night at wembley arena watching flight of the choncords last night.  meant my alcohol free week lasted all of 1 night though image.  Oh well, time to be v good now till the weekend.  Might go for a jog at lunch time after another zero yesterday, if i get any more hammy pain then that will be it till Sunday for me i think.

• Options

Hail Hail

Friend of the fred and ex-WR treadmill holder Neil K did one of them Deca things a couple of years ago.  Nutjob.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    I like the way they throw in free camping. If I were doing 10 IM in 10 days, that is just want I would want, a good nights sleep in a tent!!!!!
  • Options
    its warm even in East Yorkshire, ran in vest and shorts last night.  Went out into the countryside, saw lots of wildlife (inc barn owls) and did some running.  Might be able to do the parkrun Sat am, but will do tempo tonight and track tomorrow just in case I can't. 
    Is that enough running?

No news on where the LAMM is, just know it is 1.5 hours north of Glasgow.  Only 3 weeks away now.  Still got some kit to buy, sleeping mat, down jacket, hat, gloves, and some minature bottles of port.  Thought some cheese and port would go down nice after dinner on the Saturday.
  • Options
    Deca madness reminds me of a Harry Hill line about the Grand National: why don't they keep going round until all the horses are dead. I'll stick with my jogging!
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Selbs - Thanks to your gig at the Arena last night, I had to pay £18 to park at Wembley stadium to attend a dinner & sports quiz (it's normally free to park there). Mind you, we did win the quiz for the fifth year in a row. Chief Exec of the organising charity told me it's not fair that I turn up every year, and I might be barred in future. Clearly not a Sports Mastermind fan!!

On the subject of tickets for the Olympics, I'd brace yourselves for the fact that you'll probably struggle to get to watch anything you want to by legitimate and affordable means. Having worked for the main sponsors for many years, I've seen from the inside the size of the corporate operation, and regular tickets for regular fans are going to be so hard to come by, and no priority to UK or London residents. Basically, it's buy 'em off touts or fck off. It'll be like Beijing when the city's residents were taking long range photos of the stadia from behind military style iron fences.

For that reason, I no longer support the England 2018 football bid. Much rather it was overseas, and the fans that want to make the effort are the ones that will get to watch the games. Bizarrely, for the Athens Olympics in 2004, I just went online and bought tickets openly before the previous Christmas and got pairs of tickets for every day of the athletics & triathlon plus other sports like baseball & hockey. Oh, and beach volleyball.