Options

Coasting Round Britain : Oban To Ullapool

Comments

• Options

Iain,

I am not that local really...4hrs drive away up at the other end & side of Scotland.. not sure I have the confidence to provide the interview! What about Gone2thedogz, he is from down by OBAN... ?? 

• Options
    No prob - I'll PM him.

I went to Gairloch once when I was 8. Seem to remember sitting in the caravan looking at the rain. And then breaking all the gas mantles (it was that long ago...) so there were no lights.

• Options

Guys, just been looking at things again (was actually trying to fix the bloomin' website not wanting to put Jura down twice, sorted now image) and I noticed that the last leg of the Ayr-Oban is Barry leaving Oban, going on a tour of Kerrera with Duncan and then returning to Oban to then set off on the next section with Gone2TheDogz..

Just wondering whether it would be possible for the tour of Kerrera to be abandoned and if Duncan then takes the first stretch (or part there of) of the Oban - Ullapool bit would Gone2theDogz then be able to take the next stretch or 2 (or 3image) further along ?

This is obviously easily said from someone sat on the sofa in sunny North Wales but is it possible ?

• Options

Bruce didya put that link on?

taimage

• Options
    its on my to do list for tomorrow morning ... image
  • Options

Ok folks,

mixed my dates up.

I can be available for the Glenluig - Mallaig legs.

However, can only make it from the 7th.

Would need to arrange handover with both parties, that is at Glenluig and Mallaig.

Are the routes mapped out yet?

Mind you, it does look pretty much like just one road/route.

MT.

• Options

Bruce - creative thinking, but a tad too creative.  These are all self contained runs that do fit together but the logistics of any change render the resource lost.  Imagine you have a person in Devon at Barnstaple, one on Lundy and the next at Swansea.  The one who is on Lundy has a boat and collects the baton from Barnstaple, does his run and passes it to the person at Swansea.  Missing out the Lundy run would save you ten miles but ...

What was it you wanted me to do now I'm back home?

• Options
    Me.too - I take it that you are saying you can do entire Glenuig - Mallaig on the 7th June.  I'll draw you a map if you want but there are only two roads.  Provided you run north from Glenuig on the main road to Lochailort and then turn left towards Mallaig on the main road you will have great difficulty getting lost.
  • Options

One day, I wish,

I  can mage about 10 miles atime due to dicky knee.

So would be over 3 days.

I can B&B for two night's and do the  Arisaig - Mallaig leg on the third morning'ish, this is where the handover might be a problem.

MT.

• Options
    right of the week we are talking I am working Monday,(day) Tuesday (day) and Thursday (night)... so if I can help from Friday to Sunday let me knowimage)
  • Options
    Thats the week monday 7th - Sunday 13th!
  • Options

Ah...  I was about to say :

"Great stuff and I've mapped the route and added it to CoastersGB for the moment just on the Glenuig slot which Bruce will amend.  I have shown it to take the new road from Arisaig to Morar, whereas you would find it more pleasant but longer going on the old road."

However, clearly I was a touch too optimistic.  Before we start making any further changes to the map or the legs in the database, it may be helpful to Iain if you say what your preference is in terms of mileage and days, recognising that we are between a bit of a rock and a hard place.

• Options
    Sorry, should have been more specific there, well as I am night shift Thursday (unless I can swap shifts - this is a real possibility! People on my ward are really agreeable!!) I will be available all day Friday-Sunday, but am working early doors Monday 14th so Id need to be home at a reasonable hour - again unless I can swap shifts to the Tuesday!
    I can cover say 20-30 miles say over the 3 days but whatever you think I'll try and work around it - the cheaper the option the better!! image
  • Options

Tri-chick... great that you can help... maybe you could do the two legs before Colin???

Then again if someone else was to help you on both the Friday and the Saturday.. you could get 2 legs done each, each day!imageimage 

Woody?

• Options

Oban - Tobermory 21mi Gone2thedogz Sat 5th June
         -  [ferry Tobermory-Kilchoan] Sat 5th June 18:00 hrs
    Kilchoan - Ardslignish 9mi Sat 5th June
    Ardslignish - Salen 10.6mi Sun 6th June
    Salen - Glenuig 13.9mi  Sun 6th June

Glenuig - Lochailort (NR) 8.1mi  6th/7th?

Lochailort (NR) - Arisaig (NR) 8.8mi  7th?

Arisaig (NR) - Mallaig (NR) 7.4mi 7th?

-  [ferry Mallaig-Armadale. Offord will collect Barry at Mallaig]
    Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh 22.2mi Offord Tues 8 June or Wed 9 June
    Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton 5.7mi Longbow
    Plockton - Stromeferry 6.8mi Longbow
    Stromeferry - Strathcarron 7.9mi Longbow
    Strathcarron - Achnashellach (NR) 6.8mi Longbow
    Achnashelach - Kinlochewe 11.1mi
    Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4mi
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6mi
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2mi
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3mi
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m
    Mungasdale - Dundonnell 8.9mi Colin Sun 13th June 11am
    Dundonnell - Inverlael 7.8mi (Offroad - saves 12mi) Colin Sun 13th June
    Inverlael - Ullapool 7.1mi Colin Sun 13th June arrives Ullapool approx 6pm

Available unallocated as yet because of date constraints:
    Jo Cooke 18 June - 3 July (up to 14 miles) (page 10)
    Rokpig Arisaig area (p9)

Looks like Jo will have to travel further north to keep up with Barry - please will Jo sign on to Ullapool - Durness?

Offord has shown Mallaig to Kyle as either Tues or Wed 8 or 9 June.  Because I'm doing the Poppyline Marathon on Sun 6 June, I would prefer to run on Wed 9 June but will not inflict a lost day if this is better for the entire group.  Can't tell you yet of an approx arrival time Longbow until I know what time I am picking Barry up in Mallaig.

• Options

Iain,

Have you any update from the Kilchoan side??

I ask as I may/may not now have a car (run in with a bus and the blooming thing aint fixed yet)

• Options
    Did I see somewhere someone is possibly running to Gairloch? If so I could perhaps do Gairloch to Mungasdale?? No idea as yet how I'll get there bt sure I can figure something out??
  • Options
    on the 12th? maybe make my way up on 11th? then meet Colin 11am on 13th before heading home in time for work on 14th?
  • Options

Hi Coasters! Barry popping by....image

Not long now till I get to meet all of you - can't wait!  I am having a wonderful time in Scotland and there are more to see yet, and many people to meet too.  See you all in a few days' time...image

• Options
    me.too wrote (see)

One day, I wish,

I  can mage about 10 miles atime due to dicky knee.

So would be over 3 days.

I can B&B for two night's and do the  Arisaig - Mallaig leg on the third morning'ish, this is where the handover might be a problem.

MT.

this could work!

Glenuig - Lochailort (NR) 8.1mi  7th Me.too

Lochailort (NR) - Arisaig (NR) 8.8mi  8th Me.too

Arisaig (NR) - Mallaig (NR) 7.4mi 9th am Me.too - hand over to Offord who can run on the 9th

• Options

Oban - Tobermory 21mi Gone2thedogz Sat 5th June
         -  [ferry Tobermory-Kilchoan] Sat 5th June 18:00 hrs

Glenuig - Lochailort (NR) 8.1mi  7th Me.too

Lochailort (NR) - Arisaig (NR) 8.8mi  8th Me.too

Arisaig (NR) - Mallaig (NR) 7.4mi 9th Me.too

-  [ferry Mallaig-Armadale. Offord will collect Barry at Mallaig]
    Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh 22.2mi Offord Wed 9 June
    Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton 5.7mi Longbow 9th?
    Plockton - Stromeferry 6.8mi Longbow 9th
    Stromeferry - Strathcarron 7.9mi Longbow 10th?
    Strathcarron - Achnashellach (NR) 6.8mi Longbow 10th?
    Achnashelach - Kinlochewe 11.1mi 10th?
    Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4mi 11th?
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6mi 11th?
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2mi  Tri-chick 11th/12th?
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3mi Tri-chick 12th?
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m Tri-chick 13th?
    Mungasdale - Dundonnell 8.9mi Colin Sun 13th June 11am
    Dundonnell - Inverlael 7.8mi (Offroad - saves 12mi) Colin Sun 13th June
    Inverlael - Ullapool 7.1mi Colin Sun 13th June arrives Ullapool approx 6pm
  • Options

Hi Barry matey we might get the chance to catch up sooner than we thought? glad to hear your still having a great time.

My offer still stands if needed. My provisional plan/idea but open to change/ suggestions is for 2 runners to drive up (I live in Bolton) Friday afternoon arrive 10 pm camp for the night run 2 x 10 mile alternate legs whilst the other runner follows up in car (as Millster and I did Silloth to Gretna). Camp Sat night up early Sunday one more leg each and meet Colin at 11am. drive home arrive early evening Sunday. I recon between 50 to 60 mile's should be possible. If camping is not your scene I've checked out hostelworld and found - Inverness Fri £20 per night and Ullapool sat £17.25 per night. Fuel will cost about £100 sharing that would much appreciated.

• Options
    Woody, that would be good with me... if I could drive image however I am willing to cover those legs so dont know if there is any other way of working it between us? Hostels sound good, dates suit fine, camping is fine also, its merely a fact that I am not legally allowed (or able to) steer a petrol fuelled engine image
  • Options

that's OK then cos it's a diesel lol

Hmm I'm working on it . image

• Options
    Erm I do have a couple of cracking push bikes??? imageimage
  • Options

Funny you should mention that I had thought If no one came forward and to get some much needed IM training in, I could drive to the end of a leg cycle to the start lock up the bike run to the car drive back for the bike and repeat. I'm sure it sounds more complicated than it is.

With a name that begins with tri assuming you are a triathlete, as twist to the above,  but would depend on what you could run/ride. I could drop you off at the start drive 20 miles cycle back 10 miles or more you take over the bike and I continue the run?

• Options

seems that things here are sorting outimage I hate the idea that coasters can cost money for some. Mind I had to travel to Blackpool for my little bit. Still uneasy about it though.image

anything from our  Ross  Iain?

• Options

Okay - the North of Mallaig bit looks nearly sorted.  I can stay on an extra day and do "swaps" with Longbow so that he can get a couple of rests and hand over to Tri Chick and Woody further North.

I see that Iain's route shows Achnashelach - Kinlochewe 11.1m which looks to me as if it is over the tops crossing Coulin Forest rather than the easier but longer road round via Achnasheen.  Going over the top requires navigation on the plethora of hill and forestry tracks.  So if Longbow and I worked together to get Barry to Kinlochewe on the 10th, could Tri Chick and Woody patch in the rest later in the week or would you like us to complete another stage?

Iain - are you still up for cycling?  It would be very helpful if you could collect my rucksack (which I'll make as light as possible) for the run across Skye and also accompany the runner on some of the Kyle - Achnashellach sections which can be busy at times plus perhaps go over the top?  Is it a mountain bike or a road bike?  This way we could also get a few pictures enroute.

• Options

do you reckon we will be on schedule Offord?

Useful for me to know for further promo along the way.

• Options

morning all...

looks like it could be Stu... all we need now in theory is somebody or two for the 

and really this could all be done on the 5th/6th June