Options

Coasting Round Britain : Oban To Ullapool

Comments

• Options
    how much u think we'll need?
  • Options
    aint the foggiest TCimage
  • Options
    lol... shall I take my hat out tonight and do a little busking "for coasters" lol!! image
  • Options
    can you play anything? tri-angle, havoc or whateverimage
  • Options

Oban - Tobermory 21m  Gone2thedogz Sat 5th June
         -  [ferry Tobermory-Kilchoan] Sat 5th June 18:00 hrs
    Kilchoan - Ardslignish 9m  Sat 5th June
    Ardslignish - Salen 10.6m  Sun 6th June
    Salen - Glenuig 13.9m  Sun 6th June
    Glenuig - Lochailort (NR) 8.1m   7th Me.too
    Lochailort (NR) - Arisaig (NR) 8.8m  8th Me.too
    Arisaig (NR) - Mallaig (NR) 7.4m  9th Me.too
         -  [ferry Mallaig-Armadale. Offord will collect Barry at Mallaig]
    Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh 22.2m  Offord Wed 9 June
    Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton 5.7m  Longbow Wed 9th
    Plockton - Stromeferry 6.8m  Longbow Wed 9th
    Stromeferry - Strathcarron 7.9m  Offord or Longbow Thu 10th
    Strathcarron - Achnashellach (NR) 6.8m  Offord or Longbow Thu 10th
    Achnashelach - A896 (XCountry) 7.7m Offord or Longbow Thu 10th
    A896  - Kinlochewe 3.2m  Offord or Longbow or both Thu 10th
    Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4m  Woody/Tri-chick Sat 12th
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6m   Woody Sat 12th?
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2m  Tri-chick Sat 12th?
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3m  Woody Sun 13th?
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m  Tri-chick Sun 13th?
    Mungasdale - Dundonnell 8.9m Colin Sun 13th June 11am
    Dundonnell - Inverlael 7.8m (Offroad - saves 12m) Colin Sun 13th June
    Inverlael - Ullapool 7.1m  Colin Sun 13th June arrives Ullapool approx 6pm

Outstanding questions (please update) :

Iain - okay for Armadale to Kinlochewe inc XCountry?
    Longbow - okay for 9 & 10 June and interchange through to Kinlochewe with Offord?
    Who can do Kilchoan to Glenuig 5 / 6 June can be split into small chunks for a team.  Any volunteers?

• Options
    lol stu... I do play a mean triangle image suppose I could sing a song and do a dance into the bargain but then there's the chance I may end up locked up for the foreseeable future and not be able to coast at all! imageimage
  • Options
    we want to keep you out of the asylum for now TCimage They let me out just for thisimageimage
  • Options
    lol!! At least they LET you out... I escaped hehe!!! image
  • Options
    Glad to see this is building and that it might be done. Money is not the biggest deal though(I'm in for whatever is my share if I go £10 for others if I don't)the problem is a car and driver and some local knowledge. If we aim to do this over a couple of days we won't have a lot of time for navigation planning whilst we are doing it. This is where mapping on the central Coasters website would come in handy (yes I know I have been going on about it but surely this makes my point). If the maps were there now we'd have no worries on that score. How are you on local knowledge tri-chick? Hopefully, Alison Cameron and the few others who have worked so hard to keep this stretch alive would help us out. So Mr Driver and car where are you?? A few days up in the far north anyone?? It would be nice to meet the now legendary ATM for a cup of tea and a "Tunnock's caramel wafer" also as we pass by and I've never had a deep fried Mars Bar!!
  • Options

lolTC-ooh you have got it badimage

where there is a coaster there is a way LoA.

deep fried Mars Barsimage

• Options

LOA - Could you do Kilchoan to Glenuig with or without Alison?  Maps are not a problem here as anyone who has lived here or even been to the area knows.  There is one road (excepting for the XCountry sections described but they have runners).  I will do maps but I'm not investing the time and energy yet until we know where the legs split.  In any event there are plenty of maps online adequate for this type of planning at this stage.

Iain - okay for Armadale to Kinlochewe inc XCountry?
    Longbow - okay for 9 & 10 June and interchange through to Kinlochewe with Offord?
    Who can do Kilchoan to Glenuig 5 / 6 June can be split into small chunks for a team.  Any volunteers?  LOA with or without Alison?

• Options
    hehe Stu!! Yes well... I lost it long ago!! image
    Anyways off for a few drinks now at a friends so I'll catch up soon.
    Cheers guys image
  • Options

enjoyimage

could do with a beer myself as i am chillin'image

this stretch is looking better Offordimage It will be done and if we crack up there, coatsers will succeed

• Options

Afternoon guys!

lots of chat on here... but what has actually been agreed?

Has Iain got confirmation from the tentative for Kilchoan area??  (hopefully a local and save me a drive)

I need to drive 4hrs to get down there if I am needed to help out...can only do either 5th or 6th... need to be back home same day.. (i can be there for 6pm to collect Barry off Ferry on the 5th, run the 9m leg) and head home)

or

If I was down there for say 10 - 11 am on 6th is that enough time left in that day to complete the Kilchoan - Glenluig with help from someone else? I'd be looking at 10 min per mile probably if it's not boiling hot and uber hilly!

Laggan 10k today.. put some flyers out and 2 posters up! 

Also ran the 10k! hilly...image

• Options

well done on your 10k Alisonimage

hard to establish level of prgress on here but greater interest has been expressed it seems. Just watch this space I guess.

• Options

LOA - We haven't had confirmation about another possible runner for Kilchoan to Glenuig, so if they are not forthcoming, could you do Kilchoan to Glenuig with or without Alison?  Maps are not a problem here as anyone who has lived here or even been to the area knows.  There is one road (excepting for the XCountry sections described but they have runners).  I will do maps but I'm not investing the time and energy yet until we know where the legs split.  In any event there are plenty of maps online adequate for this type of planning at this stage.

Iain - are you okay for Armadale to Kinlochewe inc XCountry section on bike?
    Iain - any progress on your Kilchoan to Glenuig or part thereof runner?
    Who can do Kilchoan to Glenuig 5 / 6 June can be split into small chunks for a team.  Any volunteers?  LOA with or without Alison?
  • Options

i'm pretty confident that i will be okay for the 9th,10th and 11th which i would imagine would see us all the way to Kinlochewe.

i won't know for 100% until Tuesday when i can clear the days off with my work.

• Options
    Does anyone know if there is in fact a path right along the coast between Kilchoan & Ardslignish??
  • Options
    Offord I can do Kilchoan to Glenuig and more if need be. As I said when I put myself forward I am available from 3/6 until 18/6. This would be an alternative to a planned backpacking trip I had on the agenda. I'm a big boy and quite used to finding my way but some support/company would be useful. Unless I had that I wouldn't be able to make good progress since I would have to carry my pack with tent,food etc as I walk(and I would be walking in that case,I'm not in the Paras!!!).I also suggested a team of 2 runners plus a car with driver since I don't have a car and I thought this would be the best way of getting round that lack on my part(of course all expenses to be shared by the team). What I don't want to happen is that I get myself up there somehow by public transport do my bit and then have to find my way home from the middle of nowhere. I'm sure the country is wonderful but I am a bit concerned as to why the Scots seemed to have baulked at this fence except for a stalwart few. Do they know something I don't? Sorry to go on but I thought it best to make myself clear. In essence you have a willing volunteer who has two weeks to spare and will do whatever once I get up there. I don't think it is asking too much that I have some support in getting to and fro. I know you have done loads and are going to do a lot more. There must be a few others out there who are up for a real challenge?? Best Wishes LOA Tony
  • Options
    LOA - What have I done to deserve this in public?  What are you expecting from me?  This is a forum where people can step forward and be counted and participate in a fantastic adventure dreamed up by Stu. I am not going to engage in an open rant and then apologise for my behaviour.  What I will say though is, would you like your name to go on the programme with or without any form of caveat.  Let's just stick to the task in hand.
  • Options

I would just like to add that it is a great thing that LoA offers to do a bit . I can also see Offord's point of view.

Can I step in and say perhaps at the same time as getting names on legs , we (or rather you lot) could explore a "support structure". This would have to be done quite quick mind.

I do think that "support" (lists, bag carrying etc) does form part of the planning, especially in remote parts.  no time for fannying about though, really.

• Options

Very good suggestion Stu.  Iain has already made a general offer that I am trying to clarify in the outstanding questions list above.  I do hope that he will be able to give a positive answer.  Cycling alongside or meeting up every five or ten miles is very beneficial and a great way for those that aren't able to cover the distance on foot to be able to participate in the adventure and help make it the success that we all want.  Equally car ferrying etc may be extremely beneficial and just being there and cheering can be a fun way to participate!

Perhaps if someone could do this for LOA, then it could be that some or all of the Kilchoan to Glenuig legs could be filled in?  So let's update the outstanding list :

Specifics
    Iain
    - are you okay for Armadale to Kinlochewe inc XCountry section on bike?
    Iain - any progress on your Kilchoan to Glenuig or part thereof runner?
    Who can do Kilchoan to Glenuig 5 / 6 / 7 June can be split into small chunks for a team.  Any volunteers?

Offers of support :
    ?

• Options

I'm a Scot... and many more are;  both up here and South of the Border...that are already taking/or will take part, I don't think there is any baulking going on! This is a really busy time with Island half marathons on every weekend for the next few weeks.... as well as lots of other 10k's, athletics league competitions etc.....

anyway...  it's at a point where we need to know who is doing what.. so that we can all get ourselves organised and ready! (I have to work all week.. 3 teenagers... club stuff.... yadda yadda yadda) 

Let's just do it!

• Options

re bags and stuff have the YHA got hostels up there? Bags can be left at campsites too. Over two days an "unbagged" person could do 2 good stints in the area. I have done more than that camping with the ATC as a 14 year old. A decent map and maybe a compass would not pose a prob. A fella on a bike may bring you "provisions" at the end etc.

where there is a willimage

• Options
    Sorry Offord if you see my last post as a rant. I apologise without reserve. Again I'm just trying to make myself clear. Sorry but I have to put in my caveats. I don't know if I'm being too cagey. It seems to me that adventure or not, even on the road this area is no place for a lone traveller if the weather or circumstances turn against him. I'm afraid my caveats regarding support must remain. I wasn't expecting you to provide me with support,just hoping my original post would ring a bell with one or two others. If this is no use to you just say and I'll go away to await Barry's arrival in Wales. Again no offence meant and I hope none taken. No one has done more than you up there, LoA
  • Options
    have you looked at campsites and YHA hostels up there LoA? We have now put a category up for "support" - hopefully that will be used.
  • Options
    Alison again apologies to you also but we all have lives to lead apart from this. I have watched you doing loads on this site but it is not unreasonable to say that this stretch has been ignored by locals for whatever reason, otherwise why would runners have to travel in from outside to fill the gaps. I promise you there won't be any gaps in Anglesey even if I do the lot myself, LoA
  • Options

If I was down there for say 10 - 11 am on 6th is that enough time left in that day to complete the Kilchoan - Glenluig with help from someone else? I'd be looking at 10 min per mile probably if it's not boiling hot and uber hilly!

Could bring my bike! Could drop someone back to say Fortwilliam or wherever staying in area!  Ladies MTB i'm afraid! but better than nowt!

so.. 1 MTB, 1 car and a lift back to accommodation or Fortwilliam! best I can do......... I then have to drive North for 4hrs home.