Options

Coasting Round Britain : Oban To Ullapool

Comments

• Options

"ta Stu for help identifying campsites -I am really serious when I said I would like to do a stint up there"

I sense some fannying about here

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

• Options
    Living on Anglesey wrote (see)
    Alison again apologies to you also but we all have lives to lead apart from this. I have watched you doing loads on this site but it is not unreasonable to say that this stretch has been ignored by locals for whatever reason, otherwise why would runners have to travel in from outside to fill the gaps. I promise you there won't be any gaps in Anglesey even if I do the lot myself, LoA

Yes I expect there won't be any gaps in Anglesey.. the logistics of getting there are probably easier for a kick off! the whole population of Scotland can fit into London!

I give up!

• Options

Interesting developments not sure it's been productive image

So where were we image

Oban - Tobermory 21m  Gone2thedogz Sat 5th June
         -  [ferry Tobermory-Kilchoan] Sat 5th June 18:00 hrs
    Kilchoan - Ardslignish 9m  Sat 5th June
    Ardslignish - Salen 10.6m  Sun 6th June
    Salen - Glenuig 13.9m  Sun 6th June
    Glenuig - Lochailort (NR) 8.1m   7th Me.too
    Lochailort (NR) - Arisaig (NR) 8.8m  8th Me.too
    Arisaig (NR) - Mallaig (NR) 7.4m  9th Me.too
         -  [ferry Mallaig-Armadale. Offord will collect Barry at Mallaig]
    Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh 22.2m  Offord Wed 9 June
    Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton 5.7m  Longbow Wed 9th
    Plockton - Stromeferry 6.8m  Longbow Wed 9th
    Stromeferry - Strathcarron 7.9m  Offord or Longbow Thu 10th
    Strathcarron - Achnashellach (NR) 6.8m  Offord or Longbow Thu 10th
    Achnashelach - A896 (XCountry) 7.7m Offord or Longbow Thu 10th
    A896  - Kinlochewe 3.2m  Offord or Longbow or both Thu 10th
    Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4m  Woody/Tri-chick Sat 12th
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6m   Woody Sat 12th?
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2m  Tri-chick Sat 12th?
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3m  Woody Sun 13th?
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m  Tri-chick Sun 13th?
    Mungasdale - Dundonnell 8.9m Colin Sun 13th June 11am
    Dundonnell - Inverlael 7.8m (Offroad - saves 12m) Colin Sun 13th June
    Inverlael - Ullapool 7.1m  Colin Sun 13th June arrives Ullapool approx 6pm

Outstanding questions (please update) :

Specifics
    Iain
    - are you okay for Armadale to Kinlochewe inc XCountry section on bike?
    Iain - any progress on your Kilchoan to Glenuig or part thereof runner?
    Longbow - okay for 9 & 10 June and interchange through to Kinlochewe with Offord?
    Who can do Kilchoan to Glenuig 5 / 6 / 7 June can be split into small chunks for a team.  Any volunteers?

Offers of support :
    ?

• Options

LoA thanks for your offer, if car support can be found you will be a great asset, However we have tried in the past to drum up support by car or indeed any type of support but it has always drawn a virtual blank on these threads, which is not surprising being a running forum if anyone on here could they would much rather run than support. You are welcome to join me / us for the 3 days I have planed, you would just need to get to Bolton for Friday 11th

woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

My offer still stands if needed. My provisional plan/idea but open to change/ suggestions is for 2 runners to drive up (I live in Bolton) Friday afternoon arrive 10 pm camp for the night run 2 x 10 mile alternate legs whilst the other runner follows up in car (as Millster and I did Silloth to Gretna). Camp Sat night up early Sunday one more leg each and meet Colin at 11am. drive home arrive early evening Sunday. I recon between 50 to 60 mile's should be possible. If camping is not your scene I've checked out hostelworld and found - Inverness Fri £20 per night and Ullapool sat £17.25 per night. Fuel will cost about £100 sharing that would much appreciated.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but my offer is for a lift up to Scotland from the north west of England (Don't mind making slight deviations to pick up runners on route) on  Friday returning on Sunday. the fuel cost is an estimate for the total trip there back and for support in between.
    woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

Funny you should mention that I had thought If no one came forward and to get some much needed IM training in, I could drive to the end of a leg cycle to the start lock up the bike run to the car drive back for the bike and repeat. I'm sure it sounds more complicated than it is.

With a name that begins with tri assuming you are a triathlete, as twist to the above,  but would depend on what you could run/ride. I could drop you off at the start drive 20 miles cycle back 10 miles or more you take over the bike and I continue the run?

Tri chick  Whats your opinion on the above is it something you would be able to do?
  • Options

P.S

97 people per square km in Anglesey

0-9 people per square km in Highlands of Scotland.

Sorry... just thought I'd say... image

alison cameron 3 wrote (see)

If I was down there for say 10 - 11 am on 6th is that enough time left in that day to complete the Kilchoan - Glenluig with help from someone else? I'd be looking at 10 min per mile probably if it's not boiling hot and uber hilly!

Could bring my bike! Could drop someone back to say Fortwilliam or wherever staying in area!  Ladies MTB i'm afraid! but better than nowt!

so.. 1 MTB, 1 car and a lift back to accommodation or Fortwilliam! best I can do......... I then have to drive North for 4hrs home.

• Options
    Count me in Woody. It seems I have ruffled a few feathers and apologies for that. I was just trying to firm up on your original idea. I can make Bolton no problem. Camping is right up my street. Expenses shared fine. Why didn't I message you direct? Tony
  • Options
    Woody, I think I can manage that! Up friday return sunday you say?
    I am in Glasgow and dont drive though... is it possible to be picked up somewhere? Let me know what suits, I'll do what I can to make it as unawkward as possible for you?!?! Regarding the cycle/run combo, yes I can cycle should not be a problem at all!! - MTB as opposed to roadie I take it?
    Sharing fuel - no probs, camping - no probs!! image

TC
  • Options
    Out for the day having a life. I'll look in this evening.
  • Options

Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sat 12th
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6m   Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sat 12th
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sat 12th
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sun 13th
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sun 13th

Specifics
    Iain
    Longbow - okay for 9 & 10 June and interchange through to Kinlochewe with Offord?
    Who can do Kilchoan to Glenuig 5 / 6 / 7 June can be split into small chunks for a team.  Any volunteers?

Offers of support :
      None yet but :
          Can anyone transport a runner in the Glenuig / Kilchoan area?
           Anyone offer cycle support (water and convey change of clothes etc) in the Kilchoan / Glenuig area?

• Options
    alison cameron 3 wrote (see)

If I was down there for say 10 - 11 am on 6th is that enough time left in that day to complete the Kilchoan - Glenluig with help from someone else? I'd be looking at 10 min per mile probably if it's not boiling hot and uber hilly!

Could bring my bike! Could drop someone back to say Fortwilliam or wherever staying in area!  Ladies MTB i'm afraid! but better than nowt!

so.. 1 MTB, 1 car and a lift back to accommodation or Fortwilliam! best I can do......... I then have to drive North for 4hrs home.

??
  • Options
    three  last post form basis of a solution image
  • Options

we got a lift to accom and to places to star

Lift from  North West England

3 coatsers -2 of which dont mind camping

a list of campsites in the area.

back up bikes

notsa bad but will only bind with a bit of interaction rather than "faction"image

• Options
    Alison - I am not being obtuse, but does that reposting mean that you will do Kilchoan to Glenuig on your own if necessary using your bike to get back to your car or is it an offer of help if someone else comes forward?  I hope it is the former and that someone else joins you.  I would love to but can't get to Scotland on Sunday mornings as there is no sleeper service Saturday nights and because Poppyline marathon is that Sunday.  

I am fairly sure there is no bus service here on Sundays.
  • Options

mmm -seems like agendas are getting in the road of proper two way interaction now.

thrash it out eh?image

• Options
    Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

we got a lift to accom and to places to star

Lift from  North West England

3 coatsers -2 of which dont mind camping

a list of campsites in the area.

back up bikes

notsa bad but will only bind with a bit of interaction rather than "faction"image

• Options

I couldn't run it all on my own.

It was as an alternate to me coming down on the Saturday to just do the Kilchoan - Ardslignish leg on my own and then going back home. 

I can either do Kilchoan - Ardslignish on Sat evening or can come down on the Sunday to do bits of all three legs.. would bring the bike.. so that if someone else was there to take turns with it would get completed in that day. I have run up to 14.5 miles before in one go... but only a few times. 

I thought the Sunday option would make better use of my trip in the grand scheme of things? 

• Options

only first bit to be sorted then?

• Options

Okay - it's about to turn the page so will re-post full version then.  In meantime Questions and Support element :

Specifics :
    Iain

Offers of support :
    Alison can do approx a third of the Kilchoan to Glenuig legs on either Sat 5th June or Sun 6th, or is happy to work with someone else in run / transport mode to share possibly all of this if another runner can be found that is happy to run circa 20 miles.  Could be split so it's not 20 miles or so in one go if that suits.

Info :
    Kilchoan accommodation
    Campsites in general area

• Options

Here's an idea might be totally out of the question but

LoA would it be possible for you to get up to Scotland on the train on Sat 5th to help out all week when needed and then return with me on Sunday 13th to save cost?

Tri chick, LoA On the question of camping My plan was to wild camp but I fully understand if you want the convenience of proper facilities whats your preference  ?

LoA do you have a full driving licence ? if so I could find out what the cost would be to add you to the car insurance.

Have tried sending a PM  to  Longbow and Iain  ?

This is so close to completion now I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of traveling up and running a bit of the highlands. I'm of to work now and wont be back online until late, I hope things progress nicely for us all and things fall into place, take care everyone.  

• Options

Kinlochewe - Talladale 9.4m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sat 12th
    Talladale - Gairloch 9.6m   Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sat 12th
    Gairloch - Londubh 6.2m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sat 12th
    Londubh - Drumchork 9.3m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sun 13th
    Drumchork - Mungasdale 9.5m  Woody/Tri-chick/LOA Sun 13th

Outstanding questions & support etc  (please update) :

Specifics :
    Iain
    Longbow - are you okay for 9 & 10 June and interchange through to Kinlochewe with Offord?
    LOA - are you interested in getting to Kilchoan on Saturday and making a start with Alison Sat evening, carrying on on your own Sunday / Monday (taking it steady recognising that you'd have the backpacking equip) and meeting up with Me.too at or around Glenuig on Monday?  Perhaps meet up with Alison in Fort William Sat pm (or Sunday - remember not many buses and none to Kilchoan on Sundays).  Then carry on along the coast doing a mix of running and bussing until arriving at Kinlochewe and then picking up earlier arrangement with Woody and Tri Chick?

Offers of support :
    Alison can do approx a third of the Kilchoan to Glenuig legs on either Sat 5th June or Sun 6th, or is happy to work with someone else in run / transport mode to share possibly all of this if another runner can be found that is happy to run circa 20 miles.  Could be split so it's not 20 miles or so in one go if that suits.

Info :
    Kilchoan accommodation
    Campsites in general area
  • Options
    could manage the three legs Kilchoan - Glenuig on 6th...  running say 5 m each in turn? It appears to be about 33 - 34 m in total...
  • Options
    Please remember that the baton won't be going over to Kilchoan from Tob until the evening of Sat 5th June (about 6.30 by the time it arrives.)  Might be a bit late to start the Kilchoan to Glenuig leg at that time.  I suppose there will still be a few hours of daylight - so it will be up to Alison and any others helping out if they want to set out at that time.
  • Options
    G2D  .... I knowimage  thanks thoughimage
  • Options

we are getting thereimage

have just forwarded a runner to Iain who is available between 5th and  11thimage

should help I reckon.

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/thumbnail_1.jpg

You are all doing very wellimage

• Options
    so, woody are these final plans now then?
    just so I can confirm.. cheers image
  • Options
    Woody ditto as tri chick above? I'm up for weekend 11/13 as proposed,arrangements to be finalised. I do have full car licence,never had any points.

Offord your proposal doesn't appeal exactly as put but I have a counter. Kilchoan to Glenuig with Alison/A.N.other or even alone at a pinch over the weekend 5/6 is on. 34ish miles alone is right at my limit so would prefer a co-runner. I could do the lion's share of running over the two days if necessary. Woody's idea appealed because I would be able to make the trip at reasonable cost having only to get myself to Bolton area for a pick up. I don't want to stay up there all week but am happy to go up for the two weekends if another Coaster with car within reasonable distance of Anglesey wishes to share the trip of 5/6 with me(all expenses etc. etc.)Best offer I'm afraid.

I am out again soon but will check in before sleep

Regards Tony LoA
  • Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/6ftat9slm2jfsfma.jpg

Ollie had the right idea of re-fuelling a scotsmanimage

• Options

Tri chick, LoA  yep I'm happy with it.

Glasgow is on route so not a problem picking you up.

Will make provisional enquires for car insurance on tuesday, It will be great if the cost isn't prohibitive as we can go back to the original idea of car support and wont need the bike.

Are we finding campsites or roughing it?

Question for the locals;-  Will we encounter midges, if so how bad and whats the best repellent?