Options

Dartmoor Discovery

Any forumites doing this in a few weeks?

I've just entered after much mental too and fro..... I'm going for the self preservation plod option.

Comments

• Options

Ha ha I always hold the entry over the post box for a min or 2 as well! image

You wont regret it, its very well organised with special drinks. Yes its crazy tough but aint that the point??

As for the plod option its hard not to, I average around 3-3.15 for the marathon and I get to marathon point on this at 3.50ish so that shows just how hard it is. Dont be affraid to walk up the big steep hills and save your energy for later, trust me you will need it! just go enjoy it. 

This is my 3rd time doing it, so this year i really wanna go for it this year I did 4.45 last year and really wanna big improvement on that. Just hope its not too hot and definatly dont want 4 hours of terrential rain like last year either. 

good luck 210, u will be fine 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

There is a thread for this in "ultra/adventure racing".  I have done this event four times in the past but not for a couple of years (you can't do everything.)

Good luck with it!

• Options
    Wot u on about can't do everything? Course ya can! image
  • Options
    Dartmoor Discovery is an Ultra?

It's only 32 miles.

I thought Ultra was 50+ ?

(I grew up in Tavy and moved back down so I'm not saying "only 32 miles" in an ignorant sense. I'm in no doubt it's going to be tough.)
  • Options
    Ha ha I promise u it will feel like a 50! And u will be glad its not! Hope u like hills?
  • Options
    oh and a ultra is from 26.3 upwards!! dont have to be 50 +
  • Options
    Oh.

I train regularly around Tavistock and Princetown, but I haven't been out in ages because of work, family and any other excuse I can lay my hands on. I'm seriously opting for the self preservation angle and hope I don't lock up.

Is the hill through Badgers Holt and also the horrid one out of Dartmeet included in this course? I can't tell from the map.
  • Options
    Don't know about Badgers Holt but there is what I would loosely call a mountain out of Dartmeet. As I recall it is long, steep and goes up onto open moorland.

But by then we. will only have done 6 miles. When I did DD in 2006 it was when it really hit home what I had let my self in for.
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry to much about 2 hills, i would worry more about the other 30 on route! image
  • Options
    LOL! There are definitely NO flat bits!
  • Options
    Ther bar will be flat after!! anyone staying for the after Party??