Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Tmap, have a stormer tonight.
  • Options

Hail Hail

Race well Tmap.

I suppose so Brian.  Not often I get to type wins - 1 is it?

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Indeed Brian lol.  Should be a doddle then BEJ having already proved you can hit a target.  image

Hilly - I had to look that up to make sure you weren't joking.  And they reckon NZ has some funny place names! My wife comes from Whakatane which you prnounce "fuck-a-tahn-eh" which usually gets her some funny looks over here.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Congrats BEJ - but you have obviously not been putting enough energy into your training ! 
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

BEJ: Brilliant news - congrats to you both.

My June stats:

Miles: 111
    Pace: 7:41
    Rest days: 15 (!)
    Also 175 miles of cycling and a swim
    Weight: 74kg (11 stone 9 lbs) - about 6kg (13lbs) above racing weight.

That's not going to bag me a PB at Abingdon. So I'll be running home tonight. And I need to lose 1 lb per week in the process. That's 3,600 calories a week, or about 500 per day.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Evening all. First time on the laptop in a week, so haven't got the inclination to read back. Have I missed anything good?

Did a mountain marathon on Sunday - time is irrelevant really (it was 5h43m), but was about as fast as I could have gone considering the terrain and current fitness. Lost about 10 mins due to dodgy guts (3 stops!) and a nice tumble on the way down some ridiculously steep narrow path.

Did a six hour walk to 2,500m on Tuesday to aid recovery but I'm not sure that did much good. Main worry is the fact that my thighs are still killing me. Wouldn't mind, but I'm off to Verbier tomorrow for the 110k ultra on Saturday. At least I won't miss England in the world cup QF though.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Brian: My reference runs for HR/pace are my regular lunchtime 6 mile run from the office along the river and back. Very flat and very repeatable. I've run this run about 30 times this year, at different paces, with the following monthly average results in terms of beats/mile:

Jan: 1028
    Feb: 996
    Mar: 1003
    Apr: 1019
    May: 1061
    June: 1063

Fitness peaked in late Feb, which is when all the family stuff kicked off. Best score in that period was 960 on 12/2, the worst was 1151 on 30/6.

• Options

Wardi nice link,gave me goose bumpsimage

BEJ congratulations

Tmap good luck

TR, given BEJ`s expected due date,I believe there could be a case for immaculate conception,keep an eye out for a bright star over BEJ`s garden shed or 3 wise guys with big beards and unmarked packagesimage

Dan, good luck for saturday

4 days still no running, still feeling a bit chesty

• Options

Hail Hail

Well done and good luck DanA.  Nothing much happened here over the last few days.

MtR - crazy diet time?  I cant possibly think where you'll get advice for that.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

3/10 Mablethorpe

WTGY

3/10 Cologne

Joolska 

17/10 Amsterdam

Brian, Wardi, JAP, DanA, PRF, BEJ, RS

17/10 Abingdon

MTR, charliew, jamesito, GAWD, Hilly, SL2 

Big congratulations to BEJ and Mrs. BEJ.

• Options
    Congrats BEJ. Remind me, please, where does 5 mins off your last time leave you? 

Wardi If 3 laps is too many, don't go track racing!  Or pretend to lose count when you've has enough.

Good luck for Saturday Dan A.  Is it your quads? Down hill running is very painful unless you get to train for it.  Mountain marathon using paths? Strange concept.

15 very hot miles done here after work.  At mile 8 I turned and had the wind on my back, and got even hotter.  Then poked a contact lens behind my eyelid trying to get the sweat out of my eye.  Glad to get it finished.  Had to run as a new shiny pair of equalons had arrived (ebay £49 brand new) - last pair got to 1100 miles so these should see me past Xmas.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Congratulations BEJ

All the best DanA

Drifter, sounds like an interesting (of sorts) run!

• Options

Congratlations BEJ

Good luck on Saturday  DanA

Hilly - How's your training going? have you managed to get your 5k time down? Are you finding that being coached is beneficial?

Big day for me today: 1 hr swim this morning,  then 99 mile bike/4 mile run brick. I'm doing another swim and my long run tomorrow, and that should be the biggest two days I do before Aug 1st. I'm loving the IM training, but I'm looking forward to getting my life back - it really does take over.

• Options
    Drifter: I know it's a bit late, but well done for the mountain marathon. I'd love to do something like that at some point.
  • Options

And one last thing:

3/10 Mablethorpe

WTGY

3/10 Cologne

Joolska 

17/10 Amsterdam

17/10 Abingdon

MTR, charliew, jamesito, GAWD, Hilly, SL2 

30/10 Snowdonia

Mr Whippy, Experimental Penguin

• Options

Still on track but life permitting......

3/10 Mablethorpe

WTGY

3/10 Cologne

Joolska 

17/10 Amsterdam

17/10 Abingdon

MTR, charliew, jamesito, GAWD, Hilly, SL2, MichaelG

30/10 Snowdonia

• Options
    Quite a list. Looking forward to all the training successes and the races already.

Ep it was fab, 4 of us did it together in a non competitive way (sort of).  Fully recommend it (though had a dicky stomach for 4-5 days afterwards as I didnt bother to boil any water all weekend)
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Indeed that sounds fab Drifter, and DanA, you're a glutton for it doing a mountain marathon as a mere warm-up for an ultra a week later (is that mountainous too?) -- hope it goes splendidly.

I was excited to find the world has moved on since I bought the Garmin road maps for my 'walking' GPS. Now you can get open-source ones with footpaths and cycle routes, and it will even route you along them -- will come in very handy for planned Lake District holiday this year where I hope to recce the BGR (in manageable sections!)...

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

While we are finding places with silly names I would like to contribute Nobding and Bumthang from the country of Bhutan.  They are rather obsessed with fertility & phallic symbols over there.

DanA.. great stuff, all grist to the mill for your main event.  I keep reminding Shirley to find some hills.

EP.. an awesome day of training, hope you treated yourself to some prime tucker afterwards (& in between!).

Drifter.. didn't mind the 3 laps too much, though it was like running around a giant hairdryer - hot & windy.  I've got a track 10k in 2 weeks so it might at least give me some psychological preparation.  Nice run from you today BTW.

Many congrats to the BEJ's.  Hope all goes smoothly for you.

11m with a girlie clubmate tonight.  She was telling me that she had recently changed her hair colour from redhead to blonde and apparently it turned bright yellow.  Useful tip for Marigold perhaps image   

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good wishes.  I ended up being obliged to sort out a big mess at work and arrived at the club as the back-markers were finishing the 10K.  Aaaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh.

Looking at the results it would have been a very interesting V40 race as the top 2 were close around the 36:50 mark, which is about what I'd have expected (flat course but quite twisty and rough).

Ah well.  I suppose I get paid to sort out big messes at work, so I shouldn't grumble.

• Options

Congrats, BEJ.  Good incentive for a great run in Amsterdam (my favourite course)

Pleased to add to the international flavour below.

'Ran' home tonight in >30C heat.  Stopped to walk.  Twice. 

3/10 Mablethorpe

WTGY

3/10 Cologne

Joolska 

17/10 Amsterdam

17/10 Abingdon

MTR, charliew, jamesito, GAWD, Hilly, SL2, MichaelG

30/10 Snowdonia

31/10 Lausanne

Oldshoes 

• Options

Congratulations BEJ

DanA - have a good 'un this weekend!

3/10 Mablethorpe

WTGY

3/10 Cologne

Joolska 

17/10 Amsterdam

17/10 Abingdon

MTR, charliew, jamesito, GAWD, Hilly, SL2, MichaelG, Stet

30/10 Snowdonia

31/10 Lausanne

Oldshoes

7 miles this evening, 3 at sub 6 m/mi (was a struggle to hit that pace, heavy legs for some reason)!

Lost a couple more pounds, on track for a decent racing weight at Abo. image 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

tough luck Tmap - I had to work instead of doing my last race - and I dont get paid to work weekends !

EP - shocking behaviour ! If I get anywhere over bike miles ending in a 5 then I do more to round it up to base 10. I cant bleieve you stopped at 99 ! You must have lots of "me" time available too. Top work though - I'm most impressed. I still think of 50M as a long ride.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - wearing it or running it ?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Wardi - we live quite close to a place called Cheesebottom and Upperthong and know  this guy who lives there!  You just couldn't make it upimage

EP - I'm not being coached anymore as I really haven't got the time to follow such a tightly structured programme, so I'm back to being self coached and gaining the advice from my hubby.  Times haven't come down a great deal, but I ran 19:32 tonight on heavy legs having done 2 days of longer runs, which is a season's best.  So I'm hoping that a few more weeks of specific work will bring that down further.  I find 5ks the most difficult, but tonight although my legs were tired I didn't feel I was working very hard, so that's a postive sign.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Gah, followed Hilly's Po10 link and they've changed the page format totally -- my "screen-scraping" stalking tool (never really finished) will be trashed until I fix it up. Not sure of the new colour scheme, but maybe it will grow on me...
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Apparently David Blaine is gutted.  It seems that Wayne Rooney has broken his record for spending a lot of time in a box not achieving anything in particular.

Hilly.. nice result.  (The race, not your upper thong) image

Bad luck TMap, live to fight another day.

• Options

BEJ - congratulations

Padams - Nice target, would love that for the bike leg without adding in all the other stuff. Take it you have a tri specific bike?

Was going to be a day off from pedaling to work as rain was forecastimage but it's sunny so rest day is off the cardsimage.

• Options
    Well done BEJ life changing stuff.

Still haven't finalised my Autumn marathon. I emailed Slovenia(Ljubliana) to clarify some points and never got a reply, which worried me. As I can't speak what they speak out there (Serbo Croat?)then it's looking like being a no for that one.

Found another potential location though, costs about £25, and is a bit more English speaking. I'm investigating that at the moment.

Good luck the weekend racers.

Dull
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

DanA - good work in the mountains. I'd also like to have a go at that kind of thing, but maybe that's because I can't appreciate the pain!

Tmap - unlucky last night. I've been persuaded into doing the JPM thing on Tuesday, hoping I can get a position near the front at the start.

rf - yes, I used a TT bike in Barcelona. On the smooth flat roads 22mph seemed pretty comfortable, hopefully I will be able to maintain a steady 23 mph by this time next year. The problem is, you never know until you get there because the roads are so rubbish (and quite hilly) around here.

EP - I'm actually very impressed that you managed to stop at 99M. Like TR says, I think most people on here would have done 1M more, but 100M is fairly arbitrary. Clearly you don't have OCD.

Quite tempted to enter a marathon or similar in October just for fun and to give me some incentive to do some long runs. Snowdonia could be a plan, although it is quite a way away from here.