Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

TT sounds good.  Gently bentley. As for David Pleat his only saving grace is the hoppety, skippety jumpety thing he did across Maine Road after Sly Griffin got him off the hook.  At least that was mildly endearing - even if the suit was shocking.  TBH they both fall into the same category for me (GT even more so after that fckn McD's ad - I wish he'd just fckn passed me by the TWUNT), boring, un-insightful, monotone drone of the bleeding obvious.  Crikey it doesn't say much for the other ex-Pros or managers.  Enjoyed Robbie Savage the other day saying someone would be 'pleased with that fruition'.  Genius. Whilst not as offensive I do wonder if Jim Beglin has some compromising photos of the head of ITV sport - not sure how else somone like that keeps getting re-hired.  Now we all know (massive childhood hero of mine) Kevin Keegan knows fck all about football (except you need to breath a lot when you're under pressure apparently) so why put him up there to talk about something he's not a leader in his field on? He's not exaclty stacked with enthusiasm or charisma anymore either.  I won't be buying Patrick boots, Dentyne chewie or splashing on the Brut (sorry 'enry) as a protest.

Cobbles on the Tour were good.  Reminds me of my trip to the Lake District where I got a puncture in my front wheel. Barrow in Furness was the next town and we re-grouped there after a delay.

Do I win £5?

Oh fck gone off on one a bit. Focus. Focus. Running...yeah still do some sometimes.

As you were.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

> Do I win £5?

No.  And the judge's decision is final.  That's not using the word 'wheelbarrow' except in an "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" sense - the constituent parts are used adjacent to each other but not as one word.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Good news TT - all sounds promising, so finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

If I were you I'd be that giddy I'd go out and buy a new wheelbarrow.

• Options
    If LS21 can't claim the £5 for his wheelbarrow comment can I now?
  • Options

Just had a Dutchman and a German/Spaniard* at the door.  Quite assertive they were too.

'Veee are 'aving a problem wid our teller-wision.  You are not in zee World Finals Cup so we weel barrow your teller-wision on Sundays. Alles Klar?'

(ickle) Jools cheque or cash.  I'm not fussy.

As you were.

* delete as appropriate if reading after 930 tonight.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I should also point out that the real benefit of winning Barrister Word Bingo is kudos.  There's no way we'd dirty our hands by playing for money.  Or wheels.  Or barrows.

In another exciting instalment of 'Jools' Ankle' I'm pleased to report 6M done and dusted.  Very humid out there today.  Also, as it rained I think the black sports bra under the white top was possibly a mistake image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    just had a rogue VLM thought pop up - I wondered when GFA places need to be applied for. Turns out its 21st August, so I guess I need to write a letter soonish. 
  • Options
    My Autumn marathon is now sorted. Fills a nice gap weekend in October.

3/10 Mablethorpe

WTGY

3/10 Cologne

Joolska

17/10 Amsterdam

Brian, Wardi, JAP, DanA, PRF, BEJ, RS

17/10 Abingdon

MTR, charliew, jamesito, GAWD, Hilly, SL2, MichaelG, Stet

23/10 Bergen

Dull

30/10 Snowdonia

Mr Whippy, Experimental Penguin

31/10 Lausanne

Oldshoes

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    TR: mine dropped through the letter box this morning....when does that 18 week schedule start again? It's a week early this year and before Easter so much less chocolate kicking around the house; should help image
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    18 weeks - no chance ! I'm not investing a load more midweek 15mile runs in the freezing cold for another 2:55. Its 8 weeks for me from now on.
  • Options
    TR - sent my gfa form back on Tuesday!
    For once in organised with getting entries off early!
    Felsted 10k this coming Sunday, Harlow 10 mile end of the month. This is the first time I've entered my months races in advance. A new pb!

Dull - looking at that list, I'm getting the urge to combine an overseas holiday with a marathon. Just got to convince the other half!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Cheers all.

lol TR. Even with all the xtraining I've been doing I'm still not daft enough to try 80m within the first 3 weeks. 4 on the other hand.... image

PP - totally. I've managed to stay within a couple of lbs of normal racing weight as well, so all in all I'm not in too bad shape as long as this does the job.

CRAB - I actually used to watch ITV's coverage of the Champions League with the sound down if Pleat was on. No amount of mincing around Maine Road could endear him to me. As an Irishman though I find Lawrenson one of the worst as, in addition to being rubbish, he now refers to us as 'the Irish' and England as 'we/us', despite the fact that he was happy to claim to be Irish when it gave him an international career. Robbie Savage is normally good for a laugh.

Jools - nice. That's for the ankle, not for the display of underwear btw! image

I meant to mention, the consultant has got a good sporting background. Amongst other things, he is an ex-rugby pro (Bath, England 'B', Barbarians, amongst others, IIRC). Very tall and imposing, but very athletic looking all the same. I'd imagine he waltzed around many a tackle in his time. At the same time I'd expect getting tackled by him would be like getting a wheelbarrow full of bricks dropped on you from a height!

• Options

Too late TT and why would anyone be arsed to take a wheelbarrow load of bricks up to a great height?! Don't they have hod carriers and cheap labour from the continent for that nowadays

TDF not quite spoiler but mention. so avert eyes

- well that wasn't what I expected!

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

TT, great news, really hope the return to running goes smoothly

Footie pundits, sorry Trevor Francis and Joe Royle are my top picks for utter waste of space on TV. An uncontrollable urge to scream and shout at the tv as soon as I hear their voices just overwhelms me! And I do not even particularly like or enjoy footie anymore!

JI, good to see you back and I will see you at Yateley tonight. I did 34.29 for the last one, so should see you for a fair amount of the run tonight. Please don't scream and shout at me too much, and definitely no punches or headbutts!!!! image

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Pundits are interestingly useless, aren't they?  The problem they have is that football is such an inherently arbitrary sport, but "yes Brian, actually that was a bit lucky and no-one knew that was going to happen" isn't much of a story.  They need to explain why the winners played well and the losers didn't, even though in many or most cases the margins of victory are meaninglessly small.

However, I found some of the explanations (e.g. showing where a good cross should go over the first man) were things I really didn't know, so that was helpful.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

No Autumn marathon for me (probably) but in a fit of enthusiasm I've gone and entered a couple of races as warm-up and form guide before the Bristol half:

Elmbridge 10k, 25th July
    Mid-Kent 5 mile, Tonbridge, 15th August

Can't really expect much for the 10k (but will be good to see where I am) - but the second race has a good chance of being a pb, since my only other 5 mile race was in a howling blizzard of hailstones in Viccy Park a couple of years ago (28.xx, can't remember...)  Torn between the red shorts or a return to the orange beauties.  Maybe I'll see how Holland get on in the final.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Football pundits: however bad the BBC and ITV pundits/commentators are, and they are, very bad, they are much better than the created for MU Sky pundits.....come on, no one can honestly say they take Merson or Le tis seriously; just wish there was a button where you could keep the crowd noise for atmosphere but drop the commentary.

Running: TR, that's exactly the kind of time I'll be aiming for this time I think. I honestly enjoy the 18 week schedule; ticking the sessions off, watching the season change.

I struggled a bit last week as I've unusually been working nights. Wasn't quite sure how to play it, so I did my runs as soon as I got in in the morning and then got some kip. Was completely knackered for the first day or two due to next to no sleep on the first morning's session. Back on my week off now so no probs. Really nice 10 miler in relatively cool conditions today with 2 miles @ Target 10mi pace (6.10m/m); got my doubts about maintaining this for the New Forest 10 on Sunday; looks like it may be 23 C.

• Options
    TT brilliant news.  I can't manage 30 mins on a tread mill so your devotion to the elliptical thingy . .  well I'm lost for words.

Footy pundits. I actually like Mark Lawrenson, I do realise I am in a minority of 1. 

No autumn marathon for me, and now vlm is looking iffy.  The brown stuff has well and truly hit the fan at work, so another sub 3 attempt was marginal as training might have been limited, but Mrs Drifter is thinking of doing it!  Logistics mean both of us doing it is almost impossible.  Fancy a go at 3 Peaks race instead if I can't (Yorkshire 3 peaks, of course).

Better news, found a new 10m race to go for a sub 60 time on in September so not all is lost
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

PP>CW - hamstrings by any chance?
    Actually my calves (a perennial weakness), and maybe a smidge in my quads. I do stretch my hamstrings twice a day, not for running but because two people I saw about back pain commented on my ridiculous lack of flexibility in that department (not that it's changed). Edit: maybe it is the top of my calves though...

Hey, it's great that you've entered some races -- that's a real comeback. Hopefully TT can follow your lead in a few months...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Mr Boat  - tuck in behind me at VLM then, I'm good at  2:55s. I have a NF10 number too, but my mate has bailed on me and we now have U13s cricket, so the intended double family picnic in teh forest has become me flying Hans Solo if I want to race and seeing as its a late start I'll probably bail.

My U11s team went to 4 and 1 last night, U9s went to 9 and 1 tonight (win the last 2 and we are champions !)

• Options
    Nice to see Jonathon Creek putting Rene Artois' team through since the Beeb axed their programmes.

As you were.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Football punditry not the same since Gazza was in the ITV studio for the opening game of 2002

Jim Rosesthal -"So what do you know about Senegal then Gazza?"
    Gazza -"Not a lot"
    Rosenthal - "...er, so not too familiar with their football then?"
    Gazza -"No, I've never heard of Senegal."

He didn't last until the end of the week
  • Options

No mention for Andy Townsend? (or do 'apparent' pundits not count?)

Sorry to mention

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

JI.. good to see you back and still on good form.

Padams.. nicely raced over 3.5m.

Marigold.. damn good session; well I believe you anyway image

TT.. promising news indeed.  I hope the cortisone does the magic for you just as it did for me.

Dull.. committed to an autumn Marathon I see, good man.

A 10k at Selby for me last night, totally flat though a bit warm & muggy.  Still down on speed but more promising than the 10k debacle from 2 weeks ago.  40:53 on the boards, not too shabby but work still to be done.  I was discussing loss of form in veteran years with a decent V55 last night.  He agreed that recovery from long term injury is an increasingly slow process the older you get.  He was a top 10 V45 in VLM back in the early 2000's.    

I had to don congratulatory hat post race.  Mrs Wardi managed to knock a few seconds off her 3 year old PB to clock 51:05.  She was treated to waiter service of tea & cake once back at home, a very chuffed SPO indeed.  Also had to big up my clubmate Kev (known to BR, RM & WTGY)  who managed to clock a 10 second PB with 34:21 & 3rd man in the series. 

A submission for the Jools contest.. just after 7k I saw two rabbits on the grass verge.  One says to the other.. 'come on Bugs, I think we'll burrow here'.

• Options

Udd Odd

Some old croaks still out there trying to prove to the whipper snappers that they have got a chance of a sub 3.

Me?

Revelling in a pathetic excuse of injury that  would see me claiming Premier league salaries for sodall, or Ingurland cap status at the very least. It's fixed, but the CBA is HUGE. Glad to see Wardi and Dull still around, and TR still batting for the U13s. Just to upset the newbies, my last 2 marathon times were 3:28 and 4:16. OK?

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Some cycling for me last night - out to the TT course, one lap (10M) steady, then one lap hard, so total of around 37M with quite a bit of it hard. Easy night tonight I think after two hard evenings in a row.
  • Options

Some cycling for me too, but easy stuff cos I is tapering.

The thing that gets my goat about TV footie commentary is that (esp ITV, and double esp on sky) they appear to be contractually bound to describe every game as though it's the greatest match since chocolate and raisins.  The first semi wasn't sounding too good on the radio, but to the ITV blokes at half time you'd imagine they'd been watching Italy Brazil 1970 on tape instead.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Nice one on the 10k wardi. And a sepcial mention to Mrs Wardi too image

And speaking of Selby races...Drifter - if you fail to go sub 60 in September then check out the Wistow 10 on 24th October (I think?) - week after Abingdon anyway. Flat as flat can be. Out of interest where's the race you've found in September? A 10 mile race is part of our 'Road Rankings' for the year, and I've not done one yet. So it was going to be Thirsk, but that's barely a month post-Mara so probably not great. So if I can bag a decent time in September then that would be great.

Oh and footy pundits/reporters - Chris Kamara. 'Unbelievable Jeff!' He's ace. For those who never saw it, here is the red card he missed for Pompey - top stuff!

Cheers

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I've still only seen 3 matches so far !  Might make it 4 Sunday though.

Blisters - you been on the sauce ? And to think I gave you a performance of the year vote after your 2:58 at Abo that time !

Was meant to pedal early today but I was up til stupid o'clock sorting out lots of kids cricket admin after last nights match. My training volume just isnt where it should be lately.

• Options

A quick question for RB or any others familiar with Glasgow:
    The British athletics league will see my club competing in exciting venues such as Glasgow and Guernsey over coming weeks.  The only way I can get my permission slip signed is if I take the Mrs with me.  Of course that means we'd need a hotel she'd like rather than a hotel I'd settle for.

Any suggestions in the Glasgow area.  I'd assume we'd fly there, so city centre is probably most practical.  Apparently the venue of the meet is McScotstoun.

As for running, still doing a bit.  Ladder type affair on Tuesday: 1000-800-600-400-200 and back up of 200m/90s recovery.  Blistering times of 3:05, 2:26, 1:48, 66, 32, 33, 1:47, 2:25, 3:01 in case anybody's interested.  I'll increase my tempo by a mile today (starting at 2M, building up to 10 over 8 weeks), and otherwise jogging twice a day for as long as time / legs / Mrs allow.