Options

Worksop 'Halloween' Half

Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

I know there must be a thread for this somewhere but thought it was time to get a new one up and running.

So, who's in for 'the scenic one' this year? Usally a great race and this year on Halloween! What more could you want (although some decent training wouldn't go amiss in the coming weeks!!)  image

Comments

• Options
    I reckon I`ll do it again this year. I might not have my fan base though as my OH thought that Worksop wasn`t the best place to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday morning! I reckon I ought to smash my time from last year off the back of the training I did for the Nottm marathon, hopefully!
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Yes, you should do, I did Nottm marathon last year and subsequently smashed my half PB at Worksop off the back of it, dodn't think I'll be doing that this year, training's been far too hit and miss recently!!

I always look forward to this race though being my local half and it always has good support but like you say, Worksop aint the best place for supporters to kill a couple of hours on a Sunday morning!! image

• Options

doing this one for the first time this year.

I'd planned to do the GNR this weekend but injured my calf so didn't run for three weeks and deferred my GNR place.  Been back running for a couple of weeks with no problems, so touch wood I'll be ok for this one.

• Options
    I'm doing this one too. Will be my first half image
  • Options
    Good luck G and SSP! Last year it were glorious running weather . . . image
  • Options

heh, been out this weekend and bought a windproof & showerproof running jacket, sick of running in the cold and wet - I got drenched twice on my run on Thursday.

my mate's done the worksop the last couple of years and reckons it'll be chilly image

• Options
    I'm in for this. Not done it for the last couple of years so looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    The weather's usually OK,I seem to remember it being quite nice last year? though saying that I do remeber it lashing down about 3 years ago!! Like Gravitas says though, being at the end of October it can be chilly!!
  • Options

Hi

I'm doing this one this year for the first time.  Just moved into the area so it is now my local run!  Not done much training as been working far to much and injuries have prevented me from being totally dedicated.  Hope there will be some other slow runners in the event!  Clumber Park is gorgeous so if I am lagging behind at least the scenary will be amazing.  image

• Options
    I can guarantee there will be at least one slow runner image.............i.e. yours truly
  • Options
    Wicked, I will be by your side then image
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Well, my training for this has been slow to say the least, and wasn't made any better when I twisted my ankle over the weekend, reckon it will put pay to any training for a couple of weeks. Determined I will turn up on the 31st though and WILL finish (albeit very slowly I fear!!) image
  • Options

Ayup ET, we possibly fail to meet again!

Prior to my 1st mara at Nottingham a couple of weeks back, I was going to look for more long runs. After doing it....... I changed my mind.

I’ll do one again, but for now I’m looking to get a bit of speed and this looks like a good time for a 1st test. I did this one last year as my 1st half and liked it so much I’m back. Nice shirts here too. Last years is one of the ones that still gets worn regularly by me – and I’ve seen it worn at plenty of other races.

I should be a little harder to miss this time as my new Kimberworth vest now has “GARRY” printed front and back.

• Options

Had unfinished business after last year. Getting 'man flu' 10 days before meant I wasn't on best form to tackle it. In fact starting was touch and go.

Now wondering if history will repeat itself. Kids are coming down with bad colds and guys at work have been dropping like flies image

• Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Hope not Garry, fingers crossed you're fighting fit.

I'm just going for a 'get myself round' approach this year, I haven't done anywhere near enough training and twisting my ankle a couple of weeks ago hasn't helped! (which I'm still recovering from) I'm just hoping I can do minimal running on it between now and the race and hope I still keep enough fitness to enable me to complete it!! image

• Options

Looking forward to this ( i think ), it will be my first ever half marathon. I've heard the first couple of miles are all uphill too??
  • Options
    6 days to go, flippin heck! going easy this week, I'd hate to pick up and injury this close. I'll make it around even if I have to crawl the last bitimage
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Hi Sam, first mile is pretty much uphill but on the plus side, the last mile is all downhill (given it's the same hill!!) I'd say the first 4 miles are undulating but nothing too much to worry about!!

Gravitas, I might be crawling with you this year, no where near ready, seems to have crept up this year!!

• Options

ha, tell me about it.

I'm not donning any fancy dress costumes, but I imagine I may look lilke a shambling zombie by the time I cross the line image

• Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Well, Sunday it is - Good luck to all running this year (or crawling as seems the case with some of us!!!)  image
  • Options
    What`s the weather forecast. Nailed a great PB last weekend at Blackpool on a 10k so hope to be on form for Sunday. PBed at 1:51 last year but down to 1:44 at the moment. Should be fun. I`ll spot you this time Garry! Got 2 mates running too, one a first timer!
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Weather not too bad for tomorrow I don't think just a few showers, been really windy today in Worksop though so hope that drops a bit!!

ET, good luck with the PB, sounds like you should be pretty close? I PB'd at Worksop last year too with 49:38 but I don't expect to be anywhere near that this year image

• Options
    Thanks Hill! Still aching from last weekend somehow! Hope you have a good run too!
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Sorry, that time should clearly have read 1:49 38!!! Otherwise I'd be some sort of running genious!!!!!

Good luck everyone, nice bright morning here in Worksop town - should be ideal conditions for a leisurely jaunt!!   image

• Options
    Well that was good. PBed by a minute or so finishing in 1:43.24 or something like that. Thought it was very cold but pretty good really. Loved the signs in the park. Can we not review it on RW?
  • Options
    I have contacted our administrator so hopefully the event will back on here for review shortly.  I think there may have been a technical glitch!
  • Options
    well I made it around, walked between 10.5 & almost 12 as my hips were killing me before shambling over the line at around 2:43. Very happy with that, was expecting between 2:30 & 3hrs
  • Options
    Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭

Nowhere near a PB for me but still enjoyed it as always, big shout out to everyone involved in organizing.

One slight annoyance I did have this year which I haven't noticed in the last few years were the number of cyclists through clumber that insisted on trying to weave in and out of the runners rather than sticking to the sides, but hey, that's a very, very minor grumble on what was (and always is) an excellent half image

• Options
    We've posted some photos onto our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16915537412 so please feel free to browse through & tag any pictures of yourselves.