Options

A confused runner

Comments

• Options

this is getting interesting.

fair play to the lad for giving it a go in such a public fashion. if he breaks 19 mins then he must be naturally gifted given his er...radical training regime!!

• Options

Let's hope so about the 16:07.

I really want to make sure that I can improve as much as I can, and have been reading some threads about Garmin products. There are four options here and I was wondering on which is better to get:

Garmin f 50 with distance monitor and usb stick for £101

Garmin f 50 just the watch - £59

Garmin f 60 just the watch - £72 

Garmin f 205 just the watch/some acessories - £100 - which would mean an extra £30-40 for the shoeclip/footpod, or is that not necessary?

Thanks for the sprint training guide. So may something like sprint for 8 secs, rest for 11, and do this for a minute and then a minute rest? And do this for 10 minutes?

I want to do sprint training to lose an extra 1-2 stone and because I like playing football. Or is it not really possible to train for both - football and running?

And thanks Dash, let's see what happens!

• Options

A Garmin Forerunner 305 is the sort of thing you're after at about £108 on Amazon I believe.

Sprint training will not kickstart any weight loss and so is a terrible reason to do it.  You probably get sufficient sprint training in your football so I wouldn't worry.

A sprint session which focused on pure speed development would be more like 50m float into a 30m sprint || 3:00 rest.  Do about 8 of them at the very most but build up to that. 

But again, I can't stress enough that it's not what you want to do for weight loss and it's not necessary for the 5k if you're also playing football.

• Options

Thanks. Will I need one of these to go with the 305 to get the most accuracy?

I'm sorry to be asking yet more questions (it's funny how things have turned since my original question was all about weight loss), but I thought sprint training speeds up metabolism? If it's not sprint training I should do, what would you suggest?

• Options

No, you won't need the footpod.

• Options
    Fair play to you Masstnk for entering the Park Run - I hope it goes well for you image  OMG, just the thought of a 5K makes me feel nauseous image........... I think the last one I did made me puke after crossing the line.  I'll be routing for you on Saturday image
  • Options
    Good luck Masstsnk and if you run sub 16 mins in your 5k parkrun this weekend I'll buy you a 305! image
  • Options

Thanks very much! I'm going to honest though, I went to an athletics training session last night and got 19 minutes - so let's just say I'm not as fit as I was! Hope you are all delighted that my tiffin diet isn't the key to getting 16 minutes!

I'm still going to do the park run on Saturday so who knows - a miracle may happen

• Options

It was good while it lasted!

That's the problem with pedometers, I guess, not very accurate.

19 minutes is still pretty impressive considering you haven't done a lot of training. You should stick to some structured training for a few months and see what you are capable of.

• Options
    Thanks. I'm going to. My aim is to get 17 minutes in a few months. I think I'll drastically increase fitness in a few months - I've really come from hardly any training at all...
  • Options

Yes, a 19 minute 5k is still very impressive for someone with little running experience. Be careful targeting to run too fast too soon as you could end up injured. You should follow a structured 5k training schedule that you can find online or go to a local running club.

• Options
    Masstsnk wrote (see)
    My aim is to get 17 minutes in a few months.

Good to see you taking a long term(ish) view.  It takes longer to make real fitness gains than it can do to pick up injuries from hammering it too much.  So you're obviously no slouch, but I'll tweak my original advice by saying that you shouldn't be running any quicker than 8:00m/m for most of your training, including a long run, and maybe a tempo effort each week - e.g. 1M warm-up, 3-4M @ 6:30-6:40, 1M cool-down - to temper your frustrations at having to run so slowly. image 

Anyway, good luck with the Parkrun, tomorrow is it?

• Options
    Masstsnk - you didn't race the park run today?  I'm not sure I can handle the disappointment.
  • Options
    lol this thread made me laugh, reminds me of the time when a guy at the gym I go told me was going to train for the local 5km (3 weeks later) with the view of breaking 15min!

I don't think he even turned up!
  • Options
    Sorry, I had to return to London back to family for something important. I'm going to do it next Saturday - let my humilation hang in there until next week!!
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    People can surprise you Midland Runner. Last year I did a half marathon with some mates who's only exercise is to play 5 a side footie a couple of times a week. The furthest any of them got in the build up was 8-9 miles and they claimed to have only been running twice a week.

One of them did 1:29:xx the other 2 came in under 1:40, one of them having a cigarette as his post race reward...

• Options

With respect, there's a huge gulf between a 15 mins 5k and a 1:29 half.  (Equivalent performance in a half would be around 70 minutes.)  A generally fit young male with a bit of talent could go under 1:30 off little training but 15 mins 5k would take a LOT of dedicated training from anyone who isn't an utter freakzoid.

Masstsnk - pull your finger out, son!  image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good thread image

Nothing quite gets runners goats more than people claiming certain times in training with no race evidence.

Reminds me of a bit of a body builder guy at my work, who reckoned on a 10mile run he'd done the last mile in 5minutes. He did a half marathon a few weeks later, in over 2hours.

Fair play though...he did a lot better at running than I would at weights!

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Point taken PhilPub. Interesting to see how Masstsnk gets on next week.

• Options
    Time for another sweepstake maybe?  If you can get this one right to the second I'll be impressed!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This will be quite interesting, to do 19mins...presumably a low 19mins, and aiming for 17mins again presuming a low 17mins and in a few months? image

Seems a pretty big ask to me. I went from 1818 to 1710...over 4 years...and expanding from 25 miles to 50-60. Not designated 5k work necessraily but not sure the OP is doing that either.

I go 18.55 for the park run

• Options

Fascinating thread! It would surely be possible for someone with a lot of natural fitness but only very light training to knock out a few miles quite fast but be quite incapable of handling an HM? Still, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Not sure what the training session in 19m was all about but the ParkRun should be interesting (unless its a slow hilly one like my local one in Glasgow which I reckon adds at least a whole minute to my timesimage)

• Options
    Joe Volcano wrote (see)

Fascinating thread! 

I read that as "fantasy thread", which is probably more appropriate.

• Options
    I'm gutted there's no conclusion to this! Did he do it or didn't he!!???!!?? *waits with baited breath*
  • Options

Been reading with interest.

I'll say 19.00

• Options
    It's a 19:41 in my book.  Anything but a no show!
  • Options

20:11

(Brighton parkrun is not the easiest of courses, but not really tough either)