Options

Lest We Forget

Comments

• Options
    Lytical got it spot on. For me Remembrance is for all the brave ordinary men and women who joined the army and fought not through choice but through a sense of duty or simply because they had no choice.

We'll be observing the silence in school today and we'll be watching the last episode of Blackadder goes Forth to remind the class what we're remembering and why.

We've also been asking the pupils to research their own family tree and quite a number have brought in medals / stories of ancestors who fought in the Great War which they had not known about previously.

• Options
    For me its the sheer scale of losses that makes me stop and think. 25% of the Polish population were killed in WW2. 150,000 died at Stalingrad. 125,000 at Hiroshima. 50,000 were killed in the first hour on the Somme. Six million European Jews were gassed. The thiepval memorial lists the names of 750,000 men whose remains have never been found.

Until the mechanised warfare of the 20th century such losses were unheard of.

So the poppy is about rememberance and about passing on our collective desire to prevent such things from happening again.

I'll be going up to the wreck of the "Overexposed" this morning - and thinking what a lucky man I am...
  • Options
    My other half plays piano and organ and is on a rota to play at three different churches. On Sunday he was playing at a 9am remembrance service which was moving and uplifting. Afterwards I dashed into Asda (I'd run out of cat food!)still wearing my smart black suit and red poppy. The shop was already very busy at 10.30 and I felt a bit conspicuous dressed as I was and also noticed the near absence of poppy wearers (perhaps they were all in church). A woman was shopping and her three kids were playing up. She was yelling at them and they were taking no notice and giving her cheek. In the end she screamed something along the lines of "stop your f****ng messing or you'll get a f****ng good hiding!" Nobody turned a hair and carried on about their own business and I just felt quite sad but I'm not sure why. I don't know whether anybody there observed a silence at 11am. I hope some did.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see how many posts appear on the forum today between 11:00am and 11:01am.
  • Options
    Fell Running mentions the memorial at Thiepval - I went there a few years ago on the way back from Paris, I'd just read 'Birdsong' and wanted to have a look at Amiens. The sheer scale of the monument is so humbling - it's so big you can see it from a long way away. There are war cemeteries all around the area - there must be hundreds of thousands of graves, all immaculately tended, typically of young lads in their late teens and early twenties. It is so moving. At the Canadian memorial site there's a sculpture of a karibou on a small hill, facing the German lines, because a karibou never turns its back on an enemy.

I felt physically and emotionally drained.
  • Options
    Fat Face - probably a few, but if they appear at 11:01, they were sent at 10:58!

You know RW is in a slightly different time zone to the rest of us - 5mins ahead of GMT...
  • Options
    Ed, I went to a war memorial site in Belgium about 30 years ago on a school trip. Even at the age of 10 the effect was spine chilling. Row and rows and pure white crosses as far as the eye could see. It still sends shivers down my spine even now.
  • Options
    Some very touching sentiments on this thread and plain to see that it does not take a great deal of thought to see how this affects us all and how important we feel it is to show our respects and gratitude. It's not about glorifying war, it's about having feelings for our fellow men and women from all walks of life and from all Nations who found themselves in these situations for wahtever reason.
    My grandad was a JPOW for five years. Fortunately he survived to not tell the tale but keep it to himself. Nevertheless we now know the brutality and degradation that they suffered on the Death Railway. Young men in their late teens who had probably never left their own villages in Britain never mind being held prisoner in the squalor of a tropical jungle at the other side of the world.
    At work today we will be observing a two minutes silence and I shall be thinking of my grandad who I often think about when I'm out running. He gives me inspiration.
  • Options
    The people of that era (WW1 & 2) were very stoic and kept their emotions well under control. I read some postcards sent by a 25 year old PoW working on the Burma railway. He was writing to his young wife and 2 sons and never once used flowery language or actually wrote "I love you". He used phrases like "I hope you and the boys have enough to eat" and "don't worry about me, I am well enough", "hope to be home soon" etc. He didn't even hint at the horrors he must have been enduring, it was all very buttoned up. However, you just know how much he loves and misses his family and is worrying about the effect his absence must be having on them - he doesn't have to actually write the words down. He never made it home. He died in the PoW camp.
    Men that did come home often never burdened their loved ones with the details of their experiences, never even thought of such a thing as counselling. They, rightly or wrongly, put the lid on it all and got back on with the job of living.
  • Options
    My great-uncle never talked to anybody at all about his experiences in WWII, which were pretty horrific - he was in Crete when the Germans invaded, Italy, Africa, etc - until March of this year when I asked him directly. I wrote it all down - he talked for 3 or 4 hours, which was pretty difficult for him at the time - and then he died a fortnight later... maybe nobody ever asked those who returned. Maybe everyone kept silent.
  • Options
    I don't know why they never talked - similarly, my grandad lost a leg & had bullet holes in his arms from an ambush in WW1 (he was a steelworker) but would never ever talk about it, & the same with my two WW2 Desert Rat uncles (a carpenter & card salesman) - except that one of them served with Spike. I would have liked to understand what they went through, but respect the fact that that's one part of their lives they don't/didn't wish to share, for whatever reason. A different era I guess.
  • Options
    My great-uncle told me I was the first person who'd asked. I thought about that just now during the silence and ended up crying in the office... don't think he'd have been so very proud of me then...:-$
  • Options
    Just done the morning school assembly.. had one minutes silence at 11.. immaculately observed by whole school inc 4 yr olds.. nope we haven't forgotten.
  • Options
    The kids are a credit to you. Or perhaps it's the other way round.
  • Options
    I wore my poppy with pride and went to our local service this morning. Didn't agree with the religious stuff (and God Save the Queen is wearing a bit thin) but I was proud to remember and show respect to those who fell for their country.

One reason for the shortage of poppies this year was lots got held up in the postal strike.
  • Options
    Our office was selling poppies at reception and the office stopped for 2 mins at 11 this morning.
  • Options
    Walked up to Bleaklow and the wreck of "Overexposed" with Mrs and the dogs. It was very foggy on the way up - not unlike the weather all those years ago when they crashed.

Strangely at precisely 11am the sun broke through.....
  • Options
    Old folks stuff is it?

Sister-in-law in law is a war widow. No, he did not die of wounds, but in a much more revolting and horrible way, in a long drawn out dementia resulting, possibly, from inhalation of nasties when an arsenal which he was in charge of went up.

We don't know, the possibility was denied for several horrible years during which sis was faced with the prospect of paying the nursing home fees and bringing up two kids on a pittance.

Who saw to it that the record got put straight? The British Legion. Not just old folks stuff.

I quite enjoy shoving £20 notes in collecting boxes, and cry on remembrance Sunday, and during the silence. A very small price for a poppy, really.

Please please please don't forget the guys and girls in danger now either.
  • Options
    yes
    we had a minutes silence on the ward

the only chappie still speaking was an ex war veteran
    his brain is not wht it was
  • Options
    I did the 2 min silence at 11am today in my town market square (Harlow, Essex) and it was moving. Everyone acknowledged it: whether because they knew why or because it is difficult for even the least sensitive to walk across a space filled by non-moving people I don't know. But even if the lack of activity just made them wonder what was going on, it served its purpose. For 2 mins they stopped.

Even I, the bugler, was touched by the sound of my cornet and the absolute silence that accompanied it and lasted the 2 mins and through the revaille.

The 10 mins before was marked by 3 WW2 veterans squabbling over who had seniority (and, therefore, control) but then there were a couple of mins when everyone was humbled and equal.

I have never lost anyone I love to war, and I have read the messages posted here with admiration and awe. Next time I will think particularly of the people mentioned; peoples' grandfathers and Stickless's brother-in-law.

I wish I could even hope that such carnage would never happen again. But I do hope it will never be forgotten.
  • Options
    Agree with all these sentiments. I've been wearing my poppy and wish I'd seen more people wearing theirs! My father-in-law fought in the desert in WW2 and both my grandads were in the Navy during WW2 - we all know of someone who was involved, don't we. I have good friends in the Armed Forces now, one of whom fought in Iraq this year (he got back safely thank goodness) - as far as I'm concerned wearing a poppy and respecting the 2 minutes' silence are a mark of respect for anyone who has fought for our country, and those who are still doing so.

Having said all of that, I'm ashamed to say I was in a meeting all morning today and realised at 12.15 when I came out that everyone including me had forgotten to ask for the two minutes' silence at 11am. So I had my own 2 minutes a bit later on.

Don't lets allow our children to forget - we should be encouraging them to wear poppies too. I haven't seen many kids with poppies this year, unfortunately.
  • Options
    BTW Erratic - my father-in-law served with Spike as well, he probably knew your uncle!
  • Options
    I work in a secondary school. Well over half of our 850 - odd pupils and most of the staff have made donations and wore the poppy.

The only sound to be heard at 11 was the happy noise of three year olds in the nursery next door, and frankly, that felt appropriate too.

Teenage kids might be bloody minded and and pretty obnoxious at times, but they aren't callous and given the chance they can show respect and be amazingly reflective.

Two minutes later, the lessons resumed and the normal hubbub reigned!
  • Options
    A superb book out at the moment that gives a good insight into the horros of the 1st War is "Forgotten Voices". It is small recollections from various people throughout the war and paints a very vivid - and alarming - picture of the horrors these poor people went through. Well recommended.
  • Options
    ... and if anyone's really interested, I could shamelessly plug the subject of my PhD (and of my undergraduate thesis!), and happily talk about it for weeks...

'In Parenthesis' by David Jones... one of the most incredible books ever to be written in the English language, and yet forgotten now... T.S. Eliot called it 'a work of genius... Here is a book about the experiences of one soldier in the war of 1914-18'. Anyway, I won't give my comments on it, as most of my research relates to the use of medieval influences, and would probably just put people off reading it. It's a fantastic read though - my boyfriend (who's in the TA, and is heavily into military history) thought it was 'enjoyable' in as much as any book describing the Battle of Mametz Wood and the decimation of the 15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers can be enjoyable...

The author himself fought in the 15th RWF, and was one of the minority who survived that battle, and one of the things that makes the book so good is the fact that it is historically accurate - a few military historians have even written books on it as a factual report of the battle...

anyway, I'll shut up now, before I get carried away - but do read it if you can!!
  • Options
    Coming from a forces background - myself, father, uncle, grandparents and husband I want to say a great big thank you to those of you who wore poppies this year. It doesn't matter which war or conflict people were lost in, in matters that we remember them. For some of us it is all too raw the memory of losing friends and loved ones only 7 months ago. My husband lost friends in Iraq and coming from Plymouth this town did a very good job of remembering.
    'We will remember them' x
  • Options
    We should never forget those that died for our freedom. I always wear my poppy on rememberance Sunday. Yesterday, at 11 a.m. the workmen who were across the road carried on working through the 2 minutes silence. How disrespectful of them.