Options

Leeds/Sheffield half marathons 2011

if you are planning to do both of these then think again as Sheffield have move their date races to 2 weeks later then normal and that is the Normal day that Leeds race is on I think it is a bit daft staging 2 big events on the same day not far apart I know which I am doing and that is Leeds

Comments

• Options
    Sheffield City Council set the date not the Half Marathon organisers, probably leeds council do the same
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    ok

Leeds is always on that weekend it has happened once before

but hope to do sheffield lord mayors 10k
  • Options
    Compo, Leed is obviously better organised than Sheffield! When is Lord Mayors do you know?
  • Options

I did Leeds in 2008 and it was actually in September. I don't know if it was one off but since then it's been in May.

Done Leeds twice, never done Sheffield.
    I recommend Leeds. It's been really good.

Would like to try Sheffield but not planning on racing in May.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Nelly

I think it is sometime in April
  • Options
    Egg, cross wires, I was asking about lord mayors 10k
  • Options
    NellyMarcos wrote (see)
    Egg, cross wires, I was asking about lord mayors 10k
    OK. 17TH of  May, I think. Beware though, the course was woefully short last year and UKA were informed. (438m short!)
  • Options

These clashes between local races are annoying, but you've gotta love the fact that there are enough of us lunatics out there to regularly fill the roster for both.

Gone for Leeds over Sheffield. I've done Leeds before and would like a crack at Sheffield, but I've got a couple of mates doing Leeds this year so that swung it for me.

When I did this last time I must say I didn't have any particular issues with the bigger hills, but the almost imperceptible upwards drag over the last mile or so really hurt.

New PB last week at the Brass Monkey - flat as a hedgehog on the M6. Not going to beat that in Leeds, but it's tempting to see how close I can get.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I am in for Leeds aswell due to the fact it has a couple of steep hills
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Lord Mayors 10k is 17th April - same day as London.

Last year the course was short yes - but that was due to the staff at Don Valley Stadium opening the wrong gate for the runners to come back through. The course had been accurately measured using a gate a bit further up, but why the confusion arose I'm not sure. But it wasn't really the fault of the organising Club(s) - I'm sure that issue won't happen again this year!

• Options
    thanks LS21 will be doing that then
  • Options
    LS21 wrote (see)

Lord Mayors 10k is 17th April - same day as London.

Last year the course was short yes - but that was due to the staff at Don Valley Stadium opening the wrong gate for the runners to come back through. The course had been accurately measured using a gate a bit further up, but why the confusion arose I'm not sure. But it wasn't really the fault of the organising Club(s) - I'm sure that issue won't happen again this year!

Doh, yeah. April not May. I thought course seemed same as 2009 except for start / finish position. Can`t picture where this gate is supposed to be. Fault of race director?