Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Sounds like a good idea - any good mantra ideas out there?????

Well done on the 13 / 20 miles - play it up to the boss, good on you. I think these niggles are all part of it, is just a case of knowing when to back off a bit. Fingers crossed the ankle is holding out for Wotsit today. I am doing mine tomorrow - might stretch to an ankle support on both ankles - have been wearing one on my left but feels weird with only one.

Have been looking on the Thoosa website - they have a sale, am thinking whether any nice tops for Brighton, if not did Tatty mention a hot pink visor or something previously.

• Options
    Oh and on a non running front, what year groups do you teach. I am looking for study guide recommendations for J - he is year 9 now, so starting GCSE's. Everyone says something different so all views welcome.
  • Options

Abs - we use the York Notes for English. They're really good for all of the set texts at GCSE. Does he know what novels he'll be doing?

The hot pink headband was in use this morning. image Might have to think of something else for Brighton though - visor would be good, or else my head might get hot!

Good going, Gladrags. Really hope the end is in sight with the work situation soon. Definitely like the idea of a mantra too. I'm still a big fan of Wotsit's 'thin is fast'! On that front, I stayed the same this week but I think my strategy of weighing on a Sat is a bit flawed because I am always carbed up to the eyeballs ahead of the long run. Hmm, might have to rethink. And I did lose nearly 5lbs last week so I kind of expected a 'settling down' week!

Another long one in the bag today, despite a serious case of CBA this morning - tired from work etc etc. BUT once I got out I had a fab run. 10.5 done in 1.50, so that's a whole 23 seconds per mile average faster than last week! image Just to bore you all, my splits were 10.40, 10.34, 10.48, 10.41, 10.24, 10.46, 10.41, 10.39, 10.24, 9.28 (felt good at end so pushed it a bit!). Very happy with that.

Hope the ankle is OK Wotsit x

• Options

Well done Tatty!  And splits are not boring on this thread... you know you're going to get mine in a minute!

I find I am considerably lighter mid week, when I am in the midst of teaching/eating healthily / fast short running and much heavier at the weekend, when I'm either eating more ready for Saturday's run or eating to refuel.  Plus I think that muscles swell after a long run - you produce small tears in the muscle, it swells during recovery and repair - so you should be carrying extra fluid until the muscle has healed.

Hot pink sweatband?

I like 'fast, light, strong' as a running mantra.  It has to be something that I can fit into the beat, otherwise it would slow me down.  I'm such a delicate flower.

Marvellous running Gladrags.  What happened to 10-11 very slow? image

Well, I almost wimped out altogether today.  Unhappy tummy this morning, ankle still not 100%, but Wickett suggested just trying it out and phoning if I needed to be rescued.  I put an ankle support on, which made my foot ache from the first minute and by 3m my ankle started playing up too and I almost gave it up.  But then I got distracted by thoughts of decorating my lounge and realised by 5m that it wasn't hurting any more.  Ploughed along nicely till the canal path got closed off and I had to crawl through a hedge to get out.  Felt hard at the end, but I might have been pushing the pace a tad...

9:57, 10:02, 10:07, 10:42, 10:15, 10:44, 10:50, 10:19, 10:10, 10:08, 10:10, 10:01, 9:55

Feeling a touch nauseous now and ever so sleepy.  I think I need to be eating a more substantial breakfast before a run.  2 weetabix is just not cutting it.

• Options

I forgot - I teach GCSE Biology (though to mostly over-16s resitting it) and find that the best revision and study guides are rather personal.  Just make sure you get the right one for his examining board - not generic, for sciences, as there is a huge difference in the contents of the syllabus.

I have no idea how they drag GCSEs out to 3 years now.

• Options

splits all v interesting ladies..... i stil do not own a garmin or iphone so will continue my own luddite approach to running!

the v slow 10 miles went out of the window as soon as i'd boasted to boss about running a 20 miler! felt at least if i did 12 i was less of a fraud!

have lost 3lb in the last week with all this fuss. (so that's a small silver lining to start the ball rolling!) - ave been going to bed at about 9 every night as find it all quite physically draining. i did start to wonder whether i should have just accepted it and walked away, but now have renewed enthusiasm for the fight. it'll drag on for another 1-2 weeks if you can all bear with me? and then i will be a free agent able to focus on the minutae of training....

night all!

• Options

Too right Gladrags - dont just accept it, fight for it. No bearing to be done here, talk away as and when you need to, not surprised you are so shattered, mental exhaustion no doubt. Great news on the weight loss, i did a big food shop today, chicken, salmon, spinach, sweet potatos (no pasta - have about 50kgs already!) loads of fruit - I am going to plan my meals better this week and have a really healthy week. Last time i id that, it made a big difference in that i had loads more energy running.

LSR- well it went surprisingly better than expected - i set off at 6 30 - major CBA syndrome but got into it really quickly.  Had a banana before i set off and took a bottle of Powerade (thought better try it as will be the drink at Brighton - i think) Splits were 10.21, 10.20, 10.11, 10.01, 10.16, 10.10, 10.10, 10.10, 9.48, 9.37, 9.37, 9.34 and the last diddy bit at 9 06 before a slow walk for 10mins home. Did 12.16miles in total. Foot/ankle was ok generally - the odd feeling but no pain, knees twingey every now and again and that weird stretchy feeling you get around the inner ankles. Not sure if that is the little muscle tears - i remember getting that when i last marathon trained.. dont think cambers help there. anyway all in all, a successful run.

• Options

Not sure pink will go with my nice green MacMillan shirt image

Sounds like you are all digging very deep and getting through the miles...

Didn't fancy the LSR this weekend as was sooooo cold at my son's footy training in the morning, but got home, got out with my erstwhile running partner and trotted out 11.75 miles in 1:58:45... Felt pretty good for a change and having trailed in his wake since starting running is nice to be finishing stronger than him!

Need to read the manual for my Garmin again as can't seem to work out the splits... image

Lucky I did the run on Saturday as the evening turned very messy - my first ever Burns night celebration - massive amounts of food, whisky coming out of ears... may explain my 2 pound weight gain on the Wii Fit this morningimage

• Options

Wimp image

Gladrags - you feel free to release your frustrations as much as you want.  Thats the joy of a semi-anonymous forum.  

I can't believe you don't have the gadgettry though - perhaps you should treat yourself, then you can become a splits bore, like the rest of us?

RHGooner, which Garmin do you have? Well done on your long run, baking pace image

Abs - how on earth did you do that on just a banana?  I'm hopeless without something in my tummy.  Well done, thats a brilliant run especially given the tweaks and niggle of the last few weeks.

I have too many things to do and not enough hours to fit it in this week.  Gah.  Marking pile from hell, lounge that needs wallpaper stripping, holes filling and redecorating before our new sofas arrive on the 17th, not to mention all the normal jobs.  Thank goodness the external moderator was here last week, so I haven't got that to fret about too. 

I traded in my theshold set again this morning, with VERY tired and stiff legs and still slightly unsteady ankle.  But mostly because, when I tried I got the most monumental stitch, which I took to be a sign image  Was a beautiful morning, but brrrrr.... minus 6 makes for interesting running.  My tongue went numb and my toes didn't thaw till mile 4.

<runs off>

• Options

Stitch - eek, i tend to get them in races, very untimely.  Hope you are feeling better today and have found some life back in the legs.

I did 6.6 miles this morning including 5 x 5 mins ranging from 8 20 to 8 30 pace. Felt reasonably strong but the last 2 were a killer.  No natural speed in my legs at all, i would not like to see myself running fast, sure it is quite comical.

• Options

'fast, light, strong' is agood one - missed that earlier.... my slogan last year was 'strong,steady, tall' - and I do sometimes use that as I do need to remember to stand up straight otherwise I get very achey.

Abs - great run - did something similar (although notably less speedy!) on the treadie this afternoon. Think the determination to finish when really you'd rather sit down is all part of the toughening up process for the marathon?

what's everyone doing for the long run this weekend? am wondering whether to push it up to 15. My half marathon is in 2 weeks so could cut back to 10 next week in preparation.....

• Options

2hrs 20 for me this weekend.  Oooh... should cross the 13.1m threshold.  Or might that be famous last words?  I suspect I went a little bit fast last weekend as I can still feel my hamstrings.  That'll teach me!

Well done on the thresholds Abs.  Glad one of us is sticking to them image

Have discovered the amazing power of adrenaline during a run.  A car started weaving towards me and I got a very real flash of it coming straight for me and my pace picked up by miles!  Now, how to recreate that at the end of a marathon?

I've just eaten a caramel egg and I feel sick.  The mini ones are way better.

• Options
    Ooh I love the caramel eggs, so much better than creme eggs. That is quite scary when cars do that, but if that's what it takes for a sub 4 marathon, lol.

I am planning 14 but will take it slower than last weekend too. 10 30ish maybe.if all goes to plan, I will push up a bit more next weekend and then step back the following week.

Never think mantra in the moment other than 'shit this hurts' not too appropriate for us all to chant and not exactly motivational.
  • Options

LOL Abs! I often think 'WTF am I doing this?!'!!!

Mmmm, Caramel eggs. In fact, just mmmmm to chocolate. I have been very naughty over the last two days, which coincides with rest days. Oops. Anyone else find they eat obscene amounts on non-training days? Or is it just me?!

Belting paces for long runs. Definitely nothing 'S' about your LSR, Abs! Or Wotsit's or RHG's, for that matter! I'm planning 16 miles this weekend... image Then next week is a 12, which makes the 16 seem that much more appealing. I think.

No club run for me tonight. I am too tired from work. It is a bit of a pain atm - covering for a colleague who is off sick (she teaches all sixth form) but still having to plan for my lower school classes who are being farmed out to supply. It's crap. image Still, she's back tomorrow. Going for a steady trot on my own tomorrow morning. *Definitely* no harm in only doing one thresholdy type thing in one week - sometimes I find I get overtired if I do two hard club runs on Tues and Thurs.

• Options

take it easy tatty? sounds like you have a lot on your plate? (M has been singing the tatty Bogle song incessantly for the past few weeks - was quite endearing, now just annoying! )

weight mysteriously dipped below 10st at the weekend - lowest in 5 years! hoorah! all part of a trend going in the right direction!

adrenaline while running is an odd one isn't it? was feeling knackered at the end of a long cold 12 miler last year when dog started bounding towards me - amazing how you can sprint when you have to isn't it??

ok. will aim for about 2h20-2h30 on friday i reckon.

• Options
    How exciting to go under 10stone Gladrags. 10 2 is my goal - don't think will hit that before Brighton but by Summer hopefully.

MRI results - basically my pelvis still thinks I am pregnant! The bottom ring bit that stretches/expands when pregnant has never gone back so left pelvis unstable. This is apparently increasing risk of pulling ligaments and stuff around area when stressed. Need to have an affair with gym ball and do loads of strengthening and pilates. Must see physio a few times a year to assess doing things right and that it is improving. Seems best explanation so far!

Progression run tomorrow or marathon pace??? What should it be?
  • Options

<wolf whistles at Gladrags>

I'm not sure I've been under 10st in my whole adult life! image  I'm aiming for 10st 7 - 4lbs to go...

I have definately noticed my hunger levels being higher this week though, which is a shame.  I was doing so well with losing weight on 20ish miles a week.  Cracking that is great, but the appetite thing is a bummer because *obviously* I don't want to just eat healthy stuff, I want nice things too.  Like a M&S brownie today.  Yum.  I'll have to start carrying rice cakes around with me.

Bizarre pelvis news!  Perhaps having another baby will put it right? High price to pay image  Have you got a gym ball?  I have 2 spares in my garage that I liberated from the PTA sheds.  

Tomorrow for me is 30 mins easy, 30 mins marathon pace.  My favourite.  I am so lazy.

Tatty - I've taken on 3 tutorials while a colleague is away.  He left me with a huge list of student issues to resolve, which is nice, but not which students I should be seeing on any individual day, so I've spent half of today sorting out lists.  And yesterday the whole evening marking.  And tomorrow... I hate the fits and starts.  Glad your colleague is back now, hope you get a restful weekend!

• Options

image at the wolf whistle!

ok - am coming clean - am not going to run brighton. am really sorry, but we're going on our annual holiday and flying out on sun 10th was £750 (image) cheaper than flying out on mon 11th..... i hesitated before agreeing but really, we will have to watch our pennies soon and £750 is a lot of pennies.

am gutted as a team wotsit sub 4h30 marathon would have been fantastic. BUT - i am looking into other possibilities and still intend to build to a spring marathon.

having a real CBA day at work today. am here trying to prove how busy and indispensable i am and everyone is just taking the opportunity to get me to hand over stuff. all v depressing - makes me want to storm out but am trying to remain calm. so am looking forward to tomorrow's lsr as another head clearer.

happy running all.....

• Options
    OhhhhhH myyyyyy godddddd - shocker! Right call though mate, 750 too much to throw away. The goal is for us all to crack 4 30 - u can still do that so hang in there.

Sure they mean well at work but how tricky. Roll on when u can storm out eh!

Dog awful run today. Nothing at all in my legs. Opted for progression but final 20 was a killer at 9 05 pace - usually nail about 8 50 with more energy. Effort was there so must have done some good but will put it down to tiredness.
  • Options

oh yes - i will crack the sub 4h30 - to be honest i'm a bit behind schedule so if i get something scheduled for a week or so after we get back, then i do stand a good chance.

in the meantime am shaking my virtual pom poms for you brighton girls. imagine if you all crack 4h30 - woohoo!

• Options
    am getting good at baggsying the first post on each page! image - my personal mantra is 'no more moaning' - think life is just a state of mind!
  • Options

I think, Gladrags, that any of us would have made that same choice.  Its disappointing (you must be too?) but def the right priorities.  Going anywhere nice?

Abs - I was dead tired at the end of my run today too.  Pace was perky enough, I just wasn't feeling the love.  I almost tried to do the last at perkier pace, but mile4-5 was my hardest bit, so I ditched that pretty fast!  

I shall be in bed ever so early tonight.  Must catch up on some sleep.

• Options

lanzarote again - with friends who have kids the same age so shd be nice. yes - am v disappointed and did hesitate.... am not sure what to do now really - stratford, edinburgh and richmond park all seem to have spaces?

had a thought last night though.....am still around on ths saturday. could possibly join you all for the pasta feast if it goes ahead? train down to brighton is no problem......

off out for my lsr now image

• Options

That would be fantastic Gladrags if you could as long as not too much hassle just before going away.

How did the long  run go -are you still doing Brighton half? 

Wotsit - that does seem to be the way, a couple of good ones and then a crappy one. Funny how we can reassure each other it is fine but not ourselves. For the millionth time, i will tell myself that we have to have the downs to make the ups worthwhile.

• Options

Ouch that was a hard run - windy as hell and too many inclines. Pelvis was playing up from about 6 miles, just burnt on the right side. Think was my very bad posture today caused by fighting the wind trying to send me sidewards.

Splits were 10 27, 10 20, 10 13, 10 10, 10 12, 10 10, 10 15, 10 20, 10 07, 10 14, 9 58, 10 12, 10 01,       9 49(wanted to get home!)

Now for food and ice

• Options

My right side is playing up today too - can't work out if its a knock on from my ankle/ITB/hip combo or something else... image

Good run here - 13.33m in 2:20 - 10:06, 10:10, 10:07, 10:06, 10:49(gel), 10:12, 10:54, 10:18, 11:12, 11:29(gel), 10:22, 10:35, 10:49, 9:52  Deliberatelyslowed down after 6m, when I realised my pace.  Then got the wind straight in my face!  Was tough conditions, not least because it was so oddly mild.  I sweated buckets.  

Gladrags - would love to meet up!  Will you fit it in with packing OK?

Well done on your storming run Abs.  Hope the pelvis feels better tomorrow.

DVD and nice tea night here.  I've even bought some Ben & Jerry's as a treat image

• Options

Long run done, box ticked. 'Twas not a good one though - really struggled today. Felt like I had nothing in my legs for the entire way round! Ugh. Did 16m in 2.57, so just over 11 min pace average. Thank goodness I'm 'only' doing 12 next week!

Great running, ladies. I am impressed as ever! Gladrags - don't blame you, Lanzarote is definitely more appealing right now. I seriously wondered many times today why I was doing it!!!

Hope all of our niggles are OK. I suspect I may be sore in the morning...

Enjoy the ice cream, Wotsit. image I have my first Creme Egg of the year to enjoy!

• Options
    Great runs ladies. Loving the only 12 Tatty. 16 to look forward to next week then a step down - cannot wait.

Pelvis feels loads better now, wind was awful and I think my posture must have been compromised. Liz Yelling recommended a dvd on Twitter for pelvis problems so will check it out.

My treat is reeses chocolate cups - have only just broken even on calories today, have not had much of an appetite. Think I can remedy that tomorrow though.
  • Options

Well done on long runs people...

Not done as much as I wanted apart from a couple of 26 minute 3 milers (not sure what was going on there...)...

And so to today's LSR - Phew...windy windy windy...

Managed to get the 13 miler done (2:08:06) despite nearly being whacked by a Marks & Spencer's lorry on the A2 (I WAS on the pavement!!)...

Got the spilts fixed on the Garmin (305 - think someone asked a while back - purchased from Amazon for free with Nectar points image) - so here we go:

9:52; 9:46; 9:45; 9:42; 9:39; 9:42; 9:43; 9:39; 10:01; 10:00; 10:08; 9:53; 9:55 

Pretty pleased with that although seem to have a worrying tendency for blisters this year... still need to get and buy some bouncy trainers - was going to go to Sweatshop this afternoon but bit worried I'd be running all funny on the treadmill with blisters and achy legs and get the wrong pair?

And now to replace those 1988 Calories - is that roast chicken and all the trimmings I smell? 

• Options

RHGooner - way too speedy for me - well done! what are you aiming for in London?

Impressive stuff everyone - I managed a 12 miler on friday morning with a couple of big (for SE London!) hills. quite happy with that. have the brighton half in 2 weeks time - wonder what that will hold?

have had a weekend at centerparcs - lots of champagne, vodka and curry (in that order) - with a spa day and a 4 mile run thrown in to balance it up!!! think that is positively the last of my birthday celebrations now image