Options

Wolverton 5

Comments

• Options
    Thanks WR. I've just sent an email to MKAC to see what's happening.
  • Options
    MKAC say that the Race Organiser was on holiday last week and that now he's back the Race Packs should go out this week.
    Look out for something later in the week/monday next.
  • Options
    Cheers JohnC. I'll keep an eye out for the postie.
    WR
  • Options
    Roll Call:

SVT
    Stumpy
    Mr Stumpy
    Bernie W
    Brooks the Beast
    Nick
    Horsie
    Jon L + cyclist
    White Rabbit
    JohnC
    ?? Kirsten & buggyist

Congregate at the pagoda 20 mins before the off?
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. It would nice to put faces to the (nick)names.
    See you there.
    WR
  • Options
    I am a maybe but will be without buggy as have now given it away due to youngest now being too big and the fact that three are quite enough!
  • Options
    Right, so that's Kirsten and three pacemakers?!

We'll need some sort of secret handshake to identify each other, unless 'White Rabbit' isn't just a nickname!

Of course, if we start getting our race numbers through soon we can share them and identify each other that way. I'm hoping for 118...
  • Options
    In my case shouldn't that be "secret pawshake"?
    WR
  • Options
    I had 118 for the Derwentwater 10 a couple of weeks ago. Mister opened the envelope and got 119, and my heart sunk! I've got a sense of humour but we get so much heckling when we run round here that its worn a bit thin.

I just hope I don't get it again!
  • Options
    I haven't yet been heckled whilst running (people probably just pity me) so the number 118 holds no fear for me!

I've just got to hope my knee stops hurting in time for the race (but I'd probably race anyway). I think my record paced 5.5 miles last Friday, followed by my record distance 8.25 miles on the Saturday, and then running again on Monday when I thought I shouldn't have all added up! Never mind, hopefully the ice and rest will do the job.

Actually, today is the first time I've skipped a training session due to an injury I could theoretically have run through, but have been sensible enough not to. In a strange way it feels as much of an achievement as anything since I started running!
  • Options
    SVT - nice one, wisdom is usually earned painfully, see you on 22nd
  • Options
    So what's everyone's targets? It'd be nice to know at the end of the race whether I should congratulate you or commiserate with you on your 25:00 time!

I'll start: a (hopefully) conservative 40:00. Any time will be a PB...
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get inside 35:00. My first race was a 6 miler over at Buckingham a few weeks ago and I managed under 44mins. If you believe the tables in the Runner's World magazine then this equates to my target, so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Looking for Sub 32 mins, PB on 5 miles is currently 32:45. Just hope it isn't raining....
  • Options
    Managed 39.48 last year and to be honest would be happy to match it this time. Funnily enough, I hope its dry too.....
  • Options
    I'll be hoping for a time somewhere near to 40 mins plus, but you all look a bit quick to me - perhaps I'll bring my horse along and then it'll be no contest!
    I'm happy to meet at the pagoda 20 mins prior as Nick suggested.
    See you there!
  • Options
    My benchmark for 5 miles is 40 minutes but this is a fast course and I am looking for around 38.30. I won't be waiting to cheer on the Stumpies though because they always ignore me when I am running.

Indeed at the Luton Marathon last year, my team (including Stumpy) just let me go out to the start by myself and stayed in the warmth of the sports centre without offering a single cheer or word of encouragement.

So just remember that Stumpy this time....
  • Options
    Oi!!

1) It was absolutely disgusting weather that day
    2) Gecko agreed that we should keep ourselves warm to give the team the bast opportunity for a good performance
    3) We cheered you home, which we thought was more supportive, you kow, tired legs and all that
    4) We never have the chance to cheer you on any other run as you are always finished way before us!!

Incidentally, watch out when Brooksie describes courses - I happen to know that this one is pretty quick, but if you're not sure, he is prone to ignoring hills.....

HA!
  • Options
    1) Well it is fair to say that you pushed ME to do the first leg in the absolutely disgusting weather, I think the last two legs were almost tropical !

2) Yeah Right

3)Given it was a relay you had to be there when I came in ! OK so that only strictly applies to Gecko

4) I'll take that as a compliment although there was definitely one race last year where you could have done. Maybe it was the Milton Keynes 8 and 16 when I did two laps !

As for hills, see some of the threads on this year's Luton marathon, everybody else says it is undulating rather than hilly as well although they agree they are big undulations !

Putting the team squabble aside here, would everybody else please note that the stumpies and I are your representatives in the 2003 Luton Marathon Relay Official URWFRC team
  • Options
    1) The whole thing was your idea in the first place so you deserved top billing...
    2) Yeah, right!
    3) Exactly - we were there becasue we are caring, sharing, teamy people.
    4) Humph!

I'll go with the consensus then that they are big undulations, especially when you have only run the distance once before!!

(Whispers: Are you sure publicity is a good thing? People might expect us to do really well...)
  • Options
    I really don't think any of the 'hills' around Willen Lake count as such! There's some round the back of the pagoda, particularly a nice long flight of steps that we use for our weekly hill training, but I guess that's not part of the race course.

I'm still intrigued as to exactly where we will be running - I normally just plod around the outskirts of the lake (clockwise just for a bit of variety on Saturdays) unless I'm doing hills. So I might get to see a bit of new scenery in this race!
  • Options
    SVT
    If it is the course I expect it to be then there will be no hills just round the lakes with a bit of a detour round the back of the pub/club.

Given some of the times quoted I think that saying hello at the start will be a good thing as you will all be finished and home by the time I get there (especially if Daisy wants pushing some of the way)

I also have to say (and feel free to boo me roundly here) that if the weather is bad then I wont be there...This is not down to me (honest guv) but it just isnt a lot of fun for D if the weather is grim.

Jon
  • Options
    A few weeks ago I think I posted that I was looking for sub 40 minutes. A recurring ankle injury and a hamstring tweak leave me hoping to get round in one piece. So look out for the man hooked up to the MP3 (new toy - very pleased with it) starting at 7.5 min mile pace and finishing at 10.5 pace!
    Peace pagoda sounds good.
    I would like it to rain like last year but during the race would be nice. Those who were there know what I mean.
    See you all there.
  • Options
    The course is around the lakes at lakeside mostly so no hills. It runs in front of the pub not behind.

One circuit of the first lake by the Pagoda and then the second circuit goes around both lakes. THe only time is leaves the lakeside is by the mini railway line area where it goes up onthe path by the main road and around the hotel and then back to the lake.

Its about as fast as they come.
  • Options
    My race number arrived today ! See you all next weekend
  • Options
    There's so many possible routes around Willen I won't try and run it tomorrow as a practice - I'll just stick to my nice 5.5 miles, twice round both lakes.

I managed once round both lakes this morning without my knee hurting so things look good for next Saturday, as long as I take it fairly easy in the meantime. Can't wait!
  • Options
    Sorry guys but I have decided not to run after all - I struggled round the Brighton 10K on Sunday, and think I need a rest. We also have tickets for a Courtney Pine concert in London on Saturday nght, which would be a bit of a rush if I ran, so I am going to use that as an excuse too!

Hope you all run well, and that the weather is kind!
  • Options
    My race number arrived this morning (311) so if I don't get any recurrence of my recent injury I'll see you all on Saturday.

Stumpy - sorry to hear you won't be there, but enjoy your concert.

WR
  • Options
    Hello all, just got my number through - 103 - see you all there. Looks like it's a pretty fast course if last year's results are anything to go by - almost a quarter of the field finished in under 30 mins!!! (Not that I'm planning to, mind...)