Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Roger ... e-mail sent.
  • Options
    smiley999smiley999 ✭✭✭
    Hi - any advice on painful  blisters which have emerged on my middle toes this week?  I have tried plasters and those spongey toe covers from the chemist but I was still in quite a bit of pain on Saturday. Aaagh!
  • Options
    If it was me Smiley I'd pop them (very gently so that you just make a hole and not a big tear), squeeze out the fluid and then put Compeed Blister plasters on. I've tried other brands but Compeed seem to work the best.

Others may have other suggestions but that's what I'd do. image Good luck!
  • Options
    I may be tempting fate but I have only ever had one blister and that was in a 3 mile XC race.  Compeed stay put nicely though
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Compeed works for me too (on unpopped blisters for me)...
  • Options
    smiley999smiley999 ✭✭✭
    Thanks I'll try Compeed then. Do they stop the robbing and pain whilst running?
  • Options
    bbc, says 19 and heavy rain sky, 17 and showers accuweather 20 and rain met office 19 with hail sower yahoo 19 and rain
  • Options

Very excited now - having trouble concentrating at work. This'll be my 2nd marathon - the 1st being 7 years ago and riddled with injuries since. Can't wait! 

All seems a bit hot for me. What's the chances of having a following breeze the entire way round? image

It looks like I'm going to be heading out at the crack of dawn (or earlier - when does the sun come up these days? - I'm usually fast asleep at that time) and driving over on the day from Maidenhead. If anyone needs a lift from there, or points along the way (M4, M25, M11 etc) then let me know.

• Options

This is my first marathon and after starting training hoping for a 4-hr-ish finish (now completely unrealistic), I will be happy just to finish.

Just a couple of logistical questions for the experts:

1.  Are there a lot of car parking spaces - I would hate to turn up at a reasonable time and then have the stress of finding somewhere else to park.

2. Looking at the route, the best place for friends and family to watch me hobbling past would seem to be just after mile 4 on the way out, near Levit's Corner?? Is this the case or is there a better one? Is it easy for them to drive there, park and watch or is this normally heaving? Also, once they have seen me go past the last time, is it an easy drive to get back to the finish line for them?

Thanks for your help guys. If anyone wants to give me a piggyback for the last few miles, let me know.

Mark.

• Options

mark34 - I'm interested in answers to question 2 as well?

• Options
    Hi Mark,

There is usually loads of parking available - there is a field next to the start that has been opened up for cars in the past.

Levitt's corner is a good spot for spectators, but I don't know how busy it will be now this race is getting so popular! There are usually maps available from the information desk for spectators who don't know the area.

Our local weather forecast on the TV today was for rain on Sunday.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    I seem to have developed a virus. Swollen neck glands, yellow flem, headache and achey all over. Started on Tuesday but is not lifting. If I am still bad tomorrow I am going to have to withdrawl. Not happy as I've been training since Xmas for this race and was going for a sub 3 attempt.

Ho hum. I guess this is all part of the Mara-fun!
  • Options

Keir so sorry to hear that.  Really hope you feel better tomorrow. Not easy getting to the start line of a marathon 100% fit and healthy. Definitely adds to the challenge!

wild@heart many thanks for the information. I too had been wondering about the car parkingimage

• Options
    Bad luck Keir. Here's hoping things improve and you can still make it. Assuming I get to the start line on Sunday, this'll only be my 2nd marathon start from 4 attempts. Not a great strike rate! (but better than 1 from 3)
  • Options

Hi Mark

I ran last year and there was plenty of space in the car park, which as wild@heart said is a field near the start. My family drove to Levitt corner after seeing the start and they parked there with no problems, Levitt corner is a great place to spectate as the race passes it 4 times.

Hope the weather is going to be OK for sunday.

Good luck everyone for the raceimage

• Options
    Thanks all for the comments. Levit's corner it is.
    My only disappointment is that no-one offered a piggy back.
    Good luck all for Sunday and I hope the sun stays away.
  • Options

Good luck everyone for the race Sunday. I wish I was going to be there to join you all for the 'fun' but alas I am now 2 weeks into a 6 week recuperation from a medial knee ligament injury.

So wanted to be fit for the race but the physio says 'no way'. Still the organisers have deferred my entry until next year, so all being well I will join you all on the start line next year!!

Hope all goes well and it stays cool for you all.

• Options
    Bad luck Keir, that's what happened to me before Brighton!  I thought I had gotten away with it, but on the Friday night, the cold I had turned into a chesty cough.  You're better off pulling out if you feel ill though, as I can attest.
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    No, definately not good so not running. Good luck everyone and hopefully see you next year image
  • Options
    I have finally remembered what I wanted to ask last weekend!  Are the timing chips the type worn on the shoe or the ankle?  My choice of socks may hinge on this image
  • Options
    Good question USB!
  • Options

Keir so very disappointing for youimage GWS

Gary Craig same for youimage Hope you're back to running soon.

Very excited here even though the forecast goes from good to ok to eeekimage Still it's the same for everyone and am just itching to run now.

• Options
    Another question - do we know for definite if it'll be cups of water or bottles of water supplied at the water stations? If it's only cups, then I think I'll try and get my own bottles to the stations as otherwise I don't think I'll be able to drink enough on the run if it's hot. Never really mastered drinking from the sqidgy plastic cups - I usually end up wearing/spilling most of it.
  • Options
    Moooog, I read somewhere we should expect cups
  • Options

Thanks Blueski35, that's what I thought I'd read somewhere too image

Going to go for 330ml (or maybe 500ml) bottles of water at a few of the stations then and carry 3 or 4 lucozade gels with me to knock back just before I reach these stations. Never really tried this before although I have experimented with the gels so I know that I can stomach them.

• Options

Similar to my strategy. Gels at the water stations early in the race, a luco sport for halfway and a couple magic potions for later in the race. I find I can't stomach the gels passed halfway

Bound to work!

I've been trying the luco jelly beans in training. Not convinced yet. Chew them and they stick your mouth shut. Limits conversation, but I'll carry them anyway

• Options

I tried carrying some run-of-the-mill jelly babies in one of my training runs a month or so ago with the intention of having a few here and there along the way for a bit of a boost. Problem was that they were too nice and once I'd had the first one, I couldn't stop eating them so had nothing left for later! image

I'm guessing conversation will be pretty limited with me anyway - need to concentrate on more important things like breathing and putting one foot in front of the other. Unless I'm at the walking stage of course.

I figured 4 gels should be more than enough - never tried more than 2 on a run though. If it upsets the belly, I may have to carry on running through the finish line straight to the loos... image

• Options

I had a look at the website last night to check where to leave drinks. Limit is three per runner and facility will close when they can't distribute anymore. Think I will try and get there early due to the increase in entries.

Blueski magic potions sound interestingimage

• Options
    Given that this 'Spanish plume' might make it very hot and I suffer a lot in the heat, I think I will be wearing my kamelback with Nuun in it. Also will try to get a couple of Lucozades out, one halfway and the other at about 20m.