RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Options
    Woohoo Min - that's fab news on the job front image
  • Options
    Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Min.  Thats great news image
  • Options

Congrats on the job front Min.  I am looking at present so maybe hanging about in here, some of that luck will rub off.

Have decided to get my eldests 18th celebrations and organising out of the way this week and get my head and arse in gear next week with the training.  Open Water with the tri club starts on Monday so I shall plan on doing that every week with a run or bike afterwards........ will look at whether 3 of each will fit in with the family but whilst out of work, it should do.  Once it's down on paper I should be able to stick with it.  I do have a mentor for the Vit but he is a tad busy so this thread is going to be really useful and supportive I think. image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

woo hoo well done on the job front Minimageimageimage

Podds, that plan has made me come over all unwell image rather you than me !!

• Options

Thanks peeps - and thanks for your support!

No worries Saffers, if we can help, we will!

• Options

8 miles run today.  Should have been 10 but it was new route from work and footpath came to an abrupt halt. Shame cos it was really nice.  But I needed a you know what towards the end too so it was just as well really.  The 5 mile cycle home straight after was harder than I thought it would be.  It felt odd - don't know how people do duathlon.

I will do a few tweeks to my plan and post it up later. 

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo Min

I can be of little or no help I'm afraid Saffers - but I'm like a good bra - I can be fully supportive

No plodding for me again - throat and head hurty

• Options
    Thanks all......and DL, you know how we girlies just love a good bra. image
  • Options
    Lets see how long DL can string this sore throat out for    image

Nice job hunting Good Cop   image
  • Options

My schedule is a bit different to Podds cos I can't get up at 5am and I don't fancy doing a long run and a long bike in the same weekend. So I'm doing a 2-week alternating schedule like this:

mon - run 8  (<70%)
    tues - run 5 easy(<70%)   pm bike 20 hills (85% hills, 75% flat)
    weds - ow swim 1k easy, practice sighting etc (increasing to 2k)
    thurs - run 12  marathon pace (80%)
    fri - swim 1 -2k drills    pm bike 20 - 25 track (85-90% speed work)
    sat - Rest
    Sun - Long bike 30 miles rising to 60 (70% apart from hills)   pm  swim 1k easy

mon run 8 easy (<70% for 3 miles then 4 miles 85% 1 mile 65%)
    tues - run 5 easy (<70%)  pm bike 20 hills (85% hills, 75% flat)
    weds - ow swim 1k easy, practice sighting etc (increasing to 2K)
    thurs - bike 30  easy (75% apart from hills)
    fri - swim 1 -2k drills   pm bike 20 -25  track (85 – 90% speed work)
    sat - long run 15 -18 (<70% last 3 miles 85%) swim 1k easy
    sun -Rest

Comments welcome. image

• Options
    Did someone mention bras? I bought two new ones today - £7 in Primark. Being an egg chest has it's advantages at times!
  • Options
    I brought 2 swimming costumes for £7 each as well  !

Soupy, I think you would benefit say once every 4 weeks to do the long bike followed by the long run on the same weekend, make it the weekend before your recovery week, you will need at some point to do them on the same day  image

Week two perhaps could do with some tempo work on the run unless I have missed it

The plan as a whole looks good

If you could remove one session what would it be and if you could add one session what would you add??
  • Options
    My long runs are very long though Meldy cos I've got the marathon a month after.  I'm going to put in a brick session after the bike on Friday though of about 3 miles. But once a month sounds reasonable too - good idea.
  • Options
    I think your long bikes are backing up your long runs well, think of the sessions in terms of intensity first and then establish what they will be
    a shorter sharper session of whichever discipline will always help

If you have a long bike planned then sharpen up one of the runs and vice versa
  • Options
    just sharpened up a run - ta! image
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    5 miles d&d 52:52 image
  • Options
    Nice one squirrels    image
  • Options
    Have you decided on any goals yet, Soupy?
  • Options
    I could think of a few   image

;-)
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
  • Options

Goals - ah yes, I knew there was something I'd forgot.  I'd like to do better than last year and just checked the results which were:

swim: 00:55:10  (T1 6:05)  bike 3:38:20  (T2 3:54) run:  3:03:27   Total - 7:46:59

I actually beat my last year's aim which was to get round before the 8 hour cut-off so this year sub 7:30 should be doable.  So I'm thinking..............swim 50 mins,  bike 3:30, run 2:45

Is that good enough for you Meldy???  IM comes next year! image

• Options

Nice going on the job front, Min!image

And good running there, Spence. I didn't make the 10k tonight - didn't get out of work in time. ho hum.

I'm sure I can nod approvingly when a Tri schedule is passed in front of me. *nods approvingly* no idea what it meant, but I do a good approving nod. image

I seem to have bought too much running kit - it no longer fits in the drawer! Sounds like a purge is needed - it's still got the long things and crop tops I used to do aerobics in. And they're so old the elastic's gone crinkly. urgh. Swim suit I last wore about 10 years ago can go too - I was young(er) &  (more) foolish & thought I could get away with a two piece - how wrong I was... image

• Options

Hahaha Helen - I've got the same problem with kit.  But I can't bring myself to throw stuff away, specially race t-shirts.  It all spills out of the drawer! image 

Thanks for the nod.

Spence is going to keep Meldy's glove I reckon.

• Options
    Soupy you could get rid of those extra minutes in transition alone   image

and I personally like a plan A and a plan B goal, and some mid term ones as well so that it doesnt seem such a huge job to get to goal A .....

Spence had certainly better retain my glove but she can only have it a short while, I shall be wanting it back soon  !!
  • Options

Drawer?  I've got 2 big drawers and a large plastic box full of kit .... as well as the shoe pile by the back door image I find it hard to throw out but only far too easy to buy more.

Knee sore today so appointment with podiatrist on Friday.  I cannot ignore my feet any longer.  Better invest some time and money with him than pay the small fortune in physio fees which seem to be the other option.  Getting old is rubbish.

Tri schedules look great .... for other people image

• Options

I think you could even up the goals for biking and running, that is a (doable) large amount to take of the run, over 1 min per mile whereas if you concentrated on 1mph quicker on the bike it would give you a far better return and then concentrate on a strong (and quicker) run off the bike?

Sorry, this sounds a bit critical but its just another way at looking at options!!

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Soupy you could get rid of those extra minutes in transition alone   image

I need to practice getting my wettie off. I was last out of T1 - I forgot to put body glide on.  image 

• Options
    Tis okay Meldy.  I walked the run last year cos I was shattered off the bike and went dizzy and so disorientated I went the wrong way.  With a bit of better bike training and more fuel I should be able to run at least half of it  this year.  Not sure I can do the bike much quicker than 3:30 cos I'm slower than slower than slow up hills.  And yes, I'm perhaps the only one to think that the Vit has steep hills.  But I can perhaps look at my aims again after a few weeks of training.
  • Options
    Its good to reassess goals and you may find that the hills become less steep !!
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

IM comes next year! image

Soupy, Soupy, Soupy, *Shakes head despairingly*

That my friend will be bookmarked and will come back to haunt you !!

I am very flattered that you think Meldy's glove will be mine, however it would mean me doing an av pace of 11.7 and would mean a PB by 12 minutes.................I am much better prepared this year it's true, I also know I can do the distance which is a big boost.......... but them hills, them blasted hills.......still poor old XB knows what I want to do & I just must tell myself I CAN !!

*Goes to check Meldy's offical time*

you realise that should I do it I shall be bouncing like a bloody mad thing image image