Options

New shoes for marathon or stick with old failing ones?

I am running the edinburgh marathon which is only just week and a half away.  I had been thinking for a while that my old trainers which I've done all my training in were starting to need replaced.  However, always read never run marathon in new trainers - so decided to hold out and get new ones after the race.  However, on my last 2 runs I have had pain in the 3 middle toes on my left foot - like pressure underneath.  When I look at the sole of the shoe this area is very worn - no tread left.  So now I am in a dilemma, do I stick with them for the race - better the devil you know.  Or should I buy a new pair - but won't really have enough time to break them in and only 20-25 miles planned left to run before the day.

Opinions, help and advice appreciated image

Comments

• Options
    Im doing the edinburgh aswell. I got new trainers recently as mine were shot. I went from brooks vapour 9 to brooks trance 10's. i wore them around the house and did a few short runs in the before doing a 15 miler with no problems whatsoever (and i get serious blisters). if you run in knackered shoes youll probably injure yourself and you dont want that on the big day.
  • Options
    Thats comforting to hear.  Yeah I know, I put off getting new trainers cause didn't want to change anything but i can feel my old injuries and shin pain might be starting to come back with these old ones.  I don't want to waste all my hard work by making the wrong decision and ruining my race.  Good luck to you for your marathon!
  • Options
    Its a bit silly what youve done. In future you'd be better off with two pairs of shoes and alternate them.

But all is not lost - I'd go get another pair of shoes - same model and make. If you're lucky they won't have changed or discontinued them.

You have enough time to break them in - modern shoes don't need lots of running in. My Edinburgh shoes only have about 50 miles on them.
  • Options

I went to the running shop and apart from them saying the shoes I have are too small they said they aren't in bad shape.

Is there a possibility that I am just feeling all these pains as part of taper panic?  I did buy new shoes in a half size bigger, but a bit worried about them as even though they are just an updated model of the ones I had they don't feel the same.

• Options
    I'd wear the new ones in then - round the house and then out on a run. To me half a size bigger doesn't make much difference.

And yes it could just be taper panic. I ran on Monday and was running like a er, a not very good at running thing.

• Options

Thanks... I wore them out, they do feel bouncier but a bit hard.  Will try wear them in.  Toe pain was still there unfortunately, hopefully it will go once I get going in the new shoes.

• Options
    I'd follow Cougie's advice. Additionally, if the shoes serve you well in the race, I'd put tthem back in the box and reserve them for future races (assuming Edinburgh is not a one-off), and so avoid your dilemma in the future.  (You could keep a running total of the mileage you do in them on the lid, to give you an idea of when to replace thhem.)
  • Options

Just landed myself in this situation too, just prior to a season ending half marathon... poor planning. Realised knees complaining about 600+ mile runners, so have new ones (shoes that is). Have managed approx 10 miles in them and calf muscles feel like popping out my legs. Race is 3 days away and I think for sake of knees I should go with new rather than old... or maybe could use my 150mile off road shoes... but also aiming to break 96min PB so in a quandary whether quickest option is the new ones. Anyone with advice from prior experience?