how i feel

Morning

Well done Donshaw yesterday great race and great result

Sorry i couldn't resist theser lyrics - warped sense of humour

What : 1 mile or so, msaybe a bit more say 20 minutes
Why: making sure all body parts work
Last Hard: Friday
Lyrics: Holy Cow i do

Ran 1 mile yesterday just to check i could just shows how uch you use your arms when you run
wasn't easy but needs must

Bed now or soon

Comments

• Options

Was that you just home from work Pammie?

Yesterday's lyrics - Mad World by Tears for Fears

Alehouse - it sounds as though the marking is very structured but then I suppose it has to be in order to achieve consistency. Hope you have a good day in Manchester.

What:            just an hours easy run
    Why:             easier day
    Last hard:     holding on yesterday
    Last rest:      25/4

Lyrics - I believe I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Donshaw
    Great sub-90 in windy conditions - congrats!

RFJ
    Tidy Parkrun time.
    We've got one in sunny Devon now, must try it some time.

Race report from yesterday's Ivybridge 10K:
    Sunny & windy, nice temperature for an evening race.  Not really much by way of excuses for failing my 43 min target.
    We line up, and off we go.  First two K in 4:27 & 4:14, we get a few little downhills and I feel like I'm running quicker than my watch tells me.  Not the best opening signs.
    Then the big hill, 5:18 and I get passed by many.  Next 7 K had better be quick!
    Manage the 4th K in 4:14 and take back some places.
    Now the nice bit of the race, long gentle downhill and I bag a couple of sub-4s and quite a few places
    Closing Ks of 4:10, 4:23 & 3:58 give me a finishing time of 42:55.

So yesterday's target just achieved.  I'm some way off best form, and 3 minutes from that elusive sub-40, but things are heading in the right direction.

Today: Recovery run round the woods with Mrs 40.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 55 miles on the bike d&d
    60-90 minutes running later
    Why: Sunday feels like the time to do this
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: March
    Lyrics: No
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Gobi
    Good to see that you're still training lite.

Back from my run with Mrs 40, may have been an easy pace but there were some big hills for a recovery run!

What:  5 miles easy
    Why:  Recovery
    Last hard:  1 day
    Last rest:  2 days
    Lyrics:  Me neither

• Options
    tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

Checking in after long absence with a race report. It felt good to pin on a number this morning, and go through the little rituals again, and gearing up for the half marathon

The scene was: Leiden centrum, half and full marathon start at 10.30. The plan for me was originally to take a big chunk of my (lousy) PB. Life and work kept throwing all sorts of obstacles in the way of regular training. This morning I had resolved to just try and get round and see what happened. I knew I could sort of do the distance without dying but was not sure about how fast, and would just try to avoid a new personal worst.

The weather was/is brilliant: mid teens, a bit of a breeze, no rain, clouds and sunshine alternating. I got very confused in my little brain with the kilometer markers. I am a mile-based runner! Still, I managed to keep clear enough in the brain to get an idea of what was going on. And as I got to the halfway point I was very pleased with what I was doing.

The second half was always going to be tough for me, without sufficient miles in the legs, but I just kept plugging away. I took a few walk breaks, while the marathon first two men doubled me. They fly... The third mara-man and first lady overtook me in the final few hundred meters, and I crossed the finish against all odds with a shiny new PB. It's still lousy by most standards, but at 2:34.51 I am now over a minute closer again to that elusive 2.30.

What: HM D&D
    Why: start at 400m from my front door...
    Last hard: the final 500m today (well, everything before that made it so)
    Last rest: too many before today
    Lyrics: no

And if you'll now excuse me while I tend to my blisters... Hope you all have a great Sunday!
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all and congrats Don, 40 and Tinebeest.

This is a copy and paste from the 2011 Marathon Thread:
    I had a truly rubbish race today.  The good thing: 44:48 and a PB by just over a minute.  But I felt lousy.  In fact, have been feeling lousy since Thursday and nearly ditched the race today. I guess I should be happy with my time and I even got a trophy for 2nd lady but I felt so awful that it doesn't feel like I've achieved anything. No splits to report - just ran with the HRM as I didn't  want any pressure.

Very proud of Mr. Chick though. He decided to enter on the day and ran 52:47 off of no training. He runs about once every fortnight, lazy sod!

• Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments image

40 - well done on your 10K time and hitting your target.  You'll be back at your best before you know it!

tinebeest - well done on your pb - never ever put yourself down or call yourself lousy - running is a personal sport and you should be just as happy as anyone else who gets a pb - keep it up! image

chickadee - a new pb while feeling bad..... just think what will happen when it all clicks - fantastic image

Cheers everyone,

Don

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Tinebeest / Don and 40 mins well done on your races...

I have finally found the secret to success......

Its caled a night shift, 4 hours sleep, 3 hour drive, 1 packet of Percy Pig Sweets, 1 Snickers bar and a coffee...

Followed by a 2m warm up and a seasons best 10K (and 3rd fastest 10k) and 2nd team scorer beating club nemisis..... cant realy ask for much more......

So alarm went off in Plymouth at 0630 and on the road by 0640 ... pulled into race carpark at 0935..... met up with club mates confirmed we had 2 mens teams and a ladies team... (as looks like all three teams are going to be promoted as a result of todays performances and those over the 12 race season - as team captain - very happy - we my yet be champions in all three too...)

so the plan was despite being tired but full of bounce from sweets was to start steady and get under or around 39 mins....

1k - 3:58 - steady and busy start and already overtaking.
    2k - 3:47 - Nice pace and in 4th place from club
    3k - 3:49 - End of lap 1 and all systems are good and really feel good and strong
    4k - 3:54 - slight hill push through and take 3rd AAC runner... not been this high for a while....
    5k - 3:45 - a 19:15 5K very happy with that, AAC 2nd runner now in sight and my nemisis (only beaten him 2 times)
    6k - 3:53 - A bit windy but still pushing on and moving up the field...
    7K - 3:53 - Consistancy the key - motoring and now within a pace of 2nd AAC.....
    8k - 3:59 - A long K, but hit 2nd AAC, but know he is still there so keep trying to kick....
    9k - 3:35 - A short K - think I have beaten my nemisis as from team support work out he is 10m behind... enough to cover any kick
    10k - 3:45 - Try to push hard but know im spent... manage a sprint for the line to take another 2 places..... and stay 2nd scorer for AAC.....

2nd 5k 19:07 - oh how sweet (well sweet powered anyway).......

10k time of 38:22 and 47th place...... HAPPY DAYS.......

• Options

Wow Chickadeee - hope you feel better enough soon to enjoy it retrospectively - massive well done.

A PB Tinebeest - fantastic!

40 - a good marker and somewhere to move forward from. You sound quite happy with it.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon.

Not been on for a week or so, as I have been in Spain (Granada) for family wedding.

Tinebest - congrats on the continuing improvement.

Chickadee - "44:48 and a PB by just over a minute". It's a strange feeling when you can't engage with the race - I know exactly how you feel. I guess that this pb is due a bit of a hammering on a good day. That should be something to look forward to

DonShaw - great comeback effort, that 2 secs is pretty significant isn't it - I sneaked a 59;58 for 10M back in 2005, and that felt as good and as hard earned as my 50:05 back in 1977!

For myself, my running is a bit all over the place at the moment. I missed a day or two, down to family commitments and travel to/from Spain: Had a couple of days running with a lot of hip flexor problems, a steady 7.2M yesterday and a slow 10.3M today - both without any discomfort , though my legs were trashed after today's effort. I think my h/f problems are a bit like Alehouse's achilles - something to learn to live with.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    40mins - apologies, missed your post. Good to see you back in the saddle. Stick with it - there's plenty of scope for improvement.

RFJ- last time I looked on the thread you were crocked if I recall. You must be really made up with today's run - negative split and every kilometer sub 4min!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks Tom, the ankle roll / sprain only kept me out for a week and now using the mara training to good effect off the back off 3 weeks solid training

Chickade - sorry missed your result, very well done

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Welcome back Tom: relieved to hear you are in one piece (almost!).

Some good racing from Tine, Chick and 40 mins, and some very good racing from RFJ: justifiably pleased!

As for me, a particularly miserable, cold, wet 6 hours marshalling at the Great Manchester Ru: why we had to be at our posts 2 hours before the start of the first race I don't know...and I got told off for leaving mine to go for a short run. Had the foresight to take gloves, hat, many layers of clothing...and was still cold: only just thawed out an hour later.  Was 9 degrees when I got back in the car: seemed colder with the wind and rain. And you don't get to see much running: its all about marshalling spectators. Anyway, good to help the club out etc.

Lyrics: nope

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, RFJ - AWESOME!!!

Tom, you have a knack of expressing exactly how I felt. "Unable to engage" sums it up perfectly. Onwards and upwards! Next attempt at the distance will be June 19.
  • Options
    Good to see you back Tom - I feared you may have been practising the guitar a lot! Are you sure your problem is hip flexors? I only ask as I saw my biomechanics physio about a calf problem last week only to find out that I actually had a hip problem - right hip had about 50% extension and flexion compared to the left. I'm not stretching the hip joint but also have to adductor stretches - which she has me doing against a wall so that I can't cheat. Basically keep both heels and your btm against the wall as you stretch each side as apparently people 'cheat' by leaning forward into the stretch when they do it freestanding.
  • Options
    5 miles d&d.
    Gym circuit with core d&d.
    Little swim (500m) d&d.

Nice easy day.

Nice going RFJ & Chick. Chick - June 19 is shuddering- - Big PB then i think!!

Tine - well done.
  • Options

Afternoon all,

Some mixed results from the racing, but well done to: Don, RFJ, 40 and Chick for getting out there and doing it. 

• What:  8.5m
    • Why:  trying to get back to a long sunday run
    • Last Hard:  Runner's Trotts!
    • Last Rest:  Friday

Have a good one!

• Options
    40 - Sorry i missed your 10k - nice effort - right direction is good
  • Options

HM completed in 1:48 and some seconds.

Missed target time by 10 minutes. 'Tis a tale of woe. Of stomach cramps and sleep deprivation. Traffic congestion and humid, hot changeable weather

Might post report later if felling up to it. But right now I have a skull crusher headache and need some rest.

Feeling little bit despondent.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMUH - thanks for your suggestion. I think there is an underlying cause...I've had the problem before (see below) and I was advised that I needed to strengthen my glutes and work on my core stability. So in addition to the stretches I'm also doing the necessary strength work and core stability work as well. TBH it seems like the ache I'm getting in the hip/upper groin area is caused by fatigue as there is usually no residual discomfort when I stop running. I used to have similar symptom on the last 2-3 miles of my 20M LSRs...and that was definately fatigue.

As I said on the previous posting I can manage it providing that I don't get too precious about completing every session in the manner that I start it, and I'm hoping that regular strength work will get me over it. The last time I had the problem was in 2008 when I started back after the knee operation, when I ignored it and put myself out of running for 6-7 weeks....so in this case older really does mean wiser (a somewhat unusual situation for me to find myself in!)

I'm also exercised with another problem, which again is caused primarily by weak glutes. I've always had a very short stride, albeit compensated for by a high cadence - so on the face of it no problem. However in cases of extreme fatigue, eg "last 2-3 miles of my 20M LSRs" my stride gets even shorter, so I lean back slightly to increase stride length (as opposed to increasing knee lift - being too tired). Unfortunately this doesn't feel particularly natural...it almost feels that if I were to suddenly stop running, I'd fall over backwardsimage. At the moment I'm feeling like this quite a lot which suggests that something (notably in the glutes area) seems to have gone AWOl during the last injury induced layoff. So I'm trying to construct a more focused and rigorous glute enhancing regime (what a lovely phrase!)
  • Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Evening,

Catching up on the last couple of days... wow, some great racing going on here!! Well done Don, RFJ, 40, Tinebeest and Chickadeee (and Mr Chicka on an awesome debut), and BCDB (sounds like a well battled race despite not being what you'd hoped for). Well done to Simon too on the 800 last week - 7th is awesome!

Chicka - I felt exactly the same when I ran the Wolves half last year. Got a 2-min PB but felt like crap from start to finish and know I could have done a lot better. A few weeks later I matched the time halfway through a marathon! You'll smash your new PB in June image

BCDB - We all have our off days and it's a pisser when one of them happens to be race day. Try not to beat yourself up - you set your target for a reason, and on a better day you'll do it.

Reading back - ouch Pammie, that sounds nasty! Have done it myself a few times. Hope you're healing well.

LMUH, essay sounds very interesting indeed. Hope it's going well - sounds like you've put a lot of work in.

AF - my dad is a massive Floyd fan so would be very jealous. As for Runners Trotts, I sympathise!

What: 13.6 miles @ 8:45min/mile pace (ish)
    Why: LSR
    Last hard: Bits of that
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: Nope

Friday's party was great fun (no metal though Paddy) - was lovely to see my friends and their 8-month old baby, who was just a few weeks old when I last saw him. Spent yesterday chilling at home with the bf - cup final, Doctor Who then Eurovision image

Enjoy what's left of the weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Madame O - can't imagine you being a Eurovision fan...more My Chemical Romance or Funeral For a Friend typeimage
  • Options

I didn't have MadameO tagged as a Eurovision fan either! Only another 4000 words to find............but I am enjoying the process, it's just making the time.

Tom - there's always something isn't there? I had a long period of rehab working on firing my glutes as I ran off my hamstrings instead - ok up to about 30 miles a week but unsustainable thereafter - then it was my knees - now my hip - as soon as I fix something it feels as though something else goes instead. Heaven only knows what I'll be like in 20 years time - but I hope to still be running to find out!

Oh dear BSCDB - sounds like a lot of water needs to be drunk and some perspective found. If nothing else it sounds as though you managed a darn good training run!

AF - hope you feel better now.

• Options

yes LMUH, it was like a fartlek crossed with LSD. thanks M-O, I'll be OK tomorrow I'm sure. It's just a let-down, and physically I didn't feel too clever at all after the race (wasn't too out-of-breath though).

trying to re-hydrate and re-fuel now (sometimes my appetite goes after a long hard run).

I'm still in bits, so a brief report plus splits. Overcast at the start, very congested, they put me in the pen for 2:00 plus finishers. After a few km just as things were opening out, we hit a country trail on the way down to Lake Geneva. Very narrow, people tried to over-take down the sides, one guy almost turned his ankle, I saw a couple of people pulled up with presumably similar problems.

It then opened up on the road as we met the lake and began the downhill into town. I was ripping it off the tarmac, feeling the improvement in fitness feeling I was making up time I we went downhil. We hit the flat, part of my familiar training run. The way I was going the 1:38 target was going to be made.

Then ... disaster, a slight stomach cramp. I tried to ignore it but it got worse, steadily cranking up to pretty nasty, all I could do was hobble. That was about 11km. It all goes into a blur of staggering agony after that. Was wearing compression socks, not sure if they were to blame, but got aginising calf cramps at 15km.

Managed a sprint finish somehow and was gutted at the end to find I'd paid £35 and run 13 miles to be rewarded with a water bottle and holder with "Geneva Marathon" on it. Bit of a poor do. Not sure what marathon runners paid, but they got a pac-a-mac, medal and towel. Feeling a bit miffed.

km's

1 - 

2 - 9'50

3 - 5'19

4 - 

5 - 9'10

6 - 4'33

7 - 4'57

8 - 4'47

9 - 4'34

10 - 4'32

11 - 4'33

12 - 4'46

13 -

14 - 10'58

15 - 5'45

16 - 5'06

17 - 

18 - 11'49

19 - 5'12

20 - 

21.1 - 12'20

It's only running, I didn't die today. I'm sure perspective will return tomorrow. I could've nicked a medal while no-one was looking  in the funnel. Should I have done so? (I didn't.)

• Options
    Evening all

multi terrain 10k today, 42:12 & 1st lady. Low key charity race but still chuffed to bits.

Catch up time now

• Options

As above - so much to take in.....also 'geet chuffed' with 15.52 at the Beds Champs today for the 5000m. Although less so about being caught by my club mate in the last 50m! (well he is 17 years younger!!)

Some gutsy stuff here boys and girls - and some ups and downs. As said before, well done for getting out there. Good mention to alehouse for the marshalling! 

Have a good week

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Gosh - nearly all of you have been out racing!!

Donshaw - you seem happy with your result - well done.

Pammie - glad to see you still managed a run.

RFJ - 2 races in a row and a 38.22 10k - happy days indeed!

40mins - nice 10k.

tinebeest - congrats on your pb too!

chickadee - not nice when it feels so hard, but you have to be happy with a PB and 2 woman! Congrats to Mr Chick too.

Tom - sounds like you have been busy - good to see you are still running.

Alehouse - huge well-dones to you for marshalling again!

Broadsword - it sounds like you had a horrible time out there - hope you didn't hurt yourself too much.

JEB - nice result - 42.12 and !st woman!!

Simon - great 5000m 15.52 - good stuff.

What: 10 miles for me with 5.30km group, but when we finished the pack leader said we'd averaged 5.17km pace. Happy with that as I did 10 miles with my other group on Saturday too!

Good running everyone.