Options

Berlin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Flying out from Brum via Copenhagen on the Friday, then staying in Berlin for a week and then will book the sleeper train to come back, nice and easy.
  • Options

Flights from Brussels are horrible priced - around €276 (plus luggage from a cheapy n' nasty brightly coloured airline), or roughly another €100 on top per person for a 'normal' carrier. Yow.

Booked my hotel though, recommended by my German running partner. Apparently Motel One have six hotels in and around Berlin, all roughly the same standard, good reviews, priced around the €124-134/night/room level. The one I am using is less than a km from the start/ finish line.

That aside, kicked off my faux-training (this is a taper week for a big race) with a bright n' easy 11K. image

• Options
    Thanks for all responses. Have sneaked in with " BrianAir" from Stansted, not too expensive.  Next Question. I've changed my "profile" to give a codename and its still coming up with my proper name. Any clues?
  • Options

Another windy run tonight (nothing to do with last night's curry). 60mph westerly headwind on the way out. Lovely run on the way back! Hopefully Berlin will have nothing quite so extreme to throw at us...

• Options
    Eight miles for me last night at Marathon pace (or what I hope to be marathon pace). Might swap round todays tempo/speed session with tomorrows rest day.image
  • Options

4T8R - or can we call you "Paula"?! Takes a few hours/ upto a day for the sysadmins to approve the changes on the Profiles. Names seem so much nicer than numbers....

Given that we seem to have changed pace on this thread from "something that's going to happen in the future", to "something we are training for", do we need any recap of the earlier conversations/ introductions?

Maybe something about our running experience, or achievements, or goals that we are setting, type of training we will be doing? Without waiting for permission, maybe I can set a pattern for people to follow & improve:

Where I live: Belgium (you could name a region or town if you want, or just a country)
    Running since: 2006
    Marathons completed: 6
    Annual training mileage expected this year: around 2,500 (4.000kms)
    Aim for Berlin: take 7 mins off my PB (dip under 2h50)
    Interesting snippet of info: never recorded a 10K race time, best ever WAVA score 76%, first marathon time was 3h39 - also in Germany (Cologne)

• Options
    Someone asked this question on another thread. The official sports drink provider for the race is Powerbar, details on the official website here
  • Options
    Oh good idea T.D.  I live in East Anglia, UK. Started runningfrom zero miles per week on my 60th birthday (hence the 4T8R) and ran Florence Marathon 2010 two years later. OK time at 4:11:30 - didn't come across the Wall there image  - but freezing cold rain was my companion that day!  Aim for Berlin is to take25 mins off.  Is this possible for an ol' git? Start my programme 6th June (16 weeks) and its sooooo cool to find some friendship through this thread.
  • Options

Morning everyone,

Training for Berlin starts as soon as my legs have recovered from Edinburgh (about 2 weeks time), giving me exactly 16 weeks!

The goal...... sub 3h, just did 3:15:53. 

Had better start practicing my German, weil es ist nicht so gut.

• Options

Good call Tricky.

Been running since around 97, ran the London marathon in 98 with very little experience, longest training run for it was 13 miles, as you can guess broken down and walked 10miles, 5:07imageomething. Well I probably deserved it. Did various races 10ks, halfs, over the following 10 years with no real training programme or mileage.

Decided enough was enough  and couldnt tolerate my single marathon disaster so there was a score to be settled and decided to settle it by entering the Athens marathon 2007, trained properly, thought it all through. Ran non stop (it was hurting) and managed a sub 4. Didnt stop. yessss, possible up there one of the best days of my life.

2008 joined running club, more steady running now, around 25 a week but this go up with marathon training. Times are slowly improveing in all distances, this year have broken my 5k and 10k.

Live in the UK, Birmingham, age 44, hope to run sub 3:30:00, best wava is just over 70%

RR54, Es ist besser als meine

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm at the slower end of the pack around these parts.

Where I live: Scotland
    Running since: September 2006
    Marathons completed: 6
    Aim for Berlin: Sub 4 (current PB is 4:01:50 which included a long cramp stop)
    Interesting snippet of info: First marathon time was 5:15:10 at Disney Florida Jan 2007, I'd only taken up running four months before and was about as far from a running background as you can get. I was the kid at school that couldn't make it around the football pitch without having to walk! Nearly knocked an hour off my time at my second marathon 4:16:10 at Amsterdam in Oct 2007. Been stuck hovering between that 4-4:20 mark in the last four image
  • Options

Good idea.  Here is my response:

Where I live: Lewisham, London

Running since: 2001 - Very casually but consistently for a number of years - seriously started training in 2009 for a marathon

Marathons completed: 1

Annual training mileage expected this year: About 800

Aim for Berlin: get round without further injury

Interesting snippet of info: I did my first marathon in 2010 - Paris.  I have a slight spine curvature that developed from playing way too much guitar in my teens (I used to be a semi professional musician) and this has injury implications as it's difficult to maintain stability.  Did Paris last year in 4:30 and would be delighted with the same again this year in Berlin.  I'm not a competitive runner and see a marathon as a day of glory in the sun once in a while in what is a fairly solitary sport and also a chance to get out and run in a new city!  My proudest running moment was doing the Great South Run (10 miles) in 84 mins in 2010.

• Options

Hi all,

I am doing the Berlin Marathon in September and came across this thread which looked good so I have joined up!

Where I live: Warwickshire

Running since: 2007

Marathons completed: 0 full, 2 halfs

Annual training mileage expected this year: probably not enough

Aim for Berlin: It will be my first marathon, and I'm hoping to finish in 4hrs 30min ish (not sure exactly of time as I haven't run a marathon before). I'm with Alex Gillespie above me as although I want to do the best I can I'm really just looking to finish this one to see what the experience is like, hopefully without serious injury, and to enjoy the training and of course the race itself.

Interesting snippet of info: I did 2 half marathons last year with PB of 1hr58min, and did 3 triathlons last year too. No tri for me this though year as I'm concentrating on my running, which I am really enjoying at the moment (training hasn't got too intense yet!).  If it's interesting to know I'm kind of following the Hal Higden novice 1 programme as a general guide for my training for Berlin, but am adding things in such as the odd extra mile or two, hill reps and the odd sprint in my weekday runs as following this programme exactly felt slightly too easy. I also cycle for transport so I'm considering that as my main cross-training, which I do daily (anywhere between 4 and 12 miles on an average day, perhaps a longer ride on a sunday).

For my interest: what are people's views on my chances of finishing in my target 4hr30 time with this kind of training?

• Options
    Where I live - Toulouse

Running since - off & on since school

Marathons completed - Paris, Amsterdam & Barcelona

Average mileage - circa 1250

Aim for Berlin - to get a finish time that starts with a big fat 3!

Other info' - I shall be running DollyG image

Training starts in earnest soon. I am having to start running at silly o'clock as it is too hot otherwise.
  • Options

Elizabeth - loving the idea that you will be "running DollyG", although I'm trying to figure out precisely what that means. No need to clarify though - I have good imagination and it's more fun that way!

Abigail - welcome on board. Chances of going sub 4h30 if you've run a HM in 1h58 are good, but it's all about the consistency of your training. If you are finding the Hal Higdon training too easy, I'd ask how far into the programme are you? If it's only a couple of weeks - AND you see a big increase in the weekly mileage, then maybe you are coming to a premature judgement.

If you've been doing it a month or more and the plan is hardly any stretch on what you were doing before (maybe even a reduction in weekly mileage), then yes perhaps you are right, it could be too easy.

You probably ought to explain what you mean by too easy as well. Is that - not enough intensity/ speed activities? Is it the mileage is insufficient?

The key risk for a marathon newbie is that you get an overuse injury because your body hasn't adjusted properly to the increased mileage. It is a very TYPICAL problem and can be a huge setback. So watch out for things like tenderness in your shins, footpain, sore knees and hips. It's OK to increase training intensity little by little, not in big doses. So for example, adding on 50% extra mileage next week is far too much of an increase. The rule is usually, 10% a week.

Keep the little bio's coming image

• Options

Hi Folks 

Where I live: Central Scotland

Running since: 1994

Marathons completed: 5 (pb 3:53:06)

Annual training mileage expected this year: around 1000 miles

Aim for Berlin: Sub 3:30

Interesting snippet of info: tends to always go tits up either during the marathon or the week before (took ill week before London last month)

• Options

Hi TD, thanks for your response

I'm currently on week 3 of the programme, as I started it 2 weeks early to give myself room for any injuries or anything else that might come up. However, I actually started doing the first few weeks of the programme a few weeks before as I wanted to get into the habit of running on those days, so really I have been doing the first 3 weeks for about 7 weeks. Maybe this is why it feels slightly easy (although it didn't really feel particularly hard even when I first started).

The reason why I have added a bit in is because distance-wise the first 5 weeks or so of the HH novice 1 is the same or perhaps even a bit less than I was doing before I started, and this programme doesn't include things I was doing before like the hill reps and sprints. I was generally running about 5/6 miles a few times a week during the winter (usually at a steady 9ish min/mile pace).  I felt that doing the next programme up could be too much of a quick increase for me distance-wise, and I'm trying not to increase too quickly due to risk of injury, as you say.

I guess I sound like the complete amateur that I really am?! image

• Options
    Sorry that was meant to read 'with' DollyG image
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Abigail, I think sub 4:30 is certainly possible based on your HM time.

I did a 4:16 on my second marathon following the highly popular 'No structure just make it up as you go along training program', and I set a HM PB of 1:56 about six weeks before that event. At that time all I did was three runs a week and one game of five-a-side football a week. The only thing I was really structured about was making sure I did my long runs each week, with the distances planned out. The other two runs had no structure in terms of pace, or what they would do other than bank some miles and in truth where much shorter than I should have been doing (4 & 7 miles), with a highly techincal run round as fast as you can methodology in place!

If the plan you have doesn't feel right then look at others, even mix and match to build one that you feel works best for you. Your target certianly looks achievable.

• Options

Where I live: Birmingham

Running since: Seriously since 2009

Marathons completed: Berlin 2010 (rainy), Paris 2011 (hot), Edinburgh 2011 (windy).

Annual training mileage expected this year: Over 1000

Aim for Berlin: Beat pb primarily.Would like sub-4hr, but not sure if realistic - based on best half-marathon of 1:52, 10k - 51minutes. Going to spend the summer doing more pace work.

Interesting snippet of info: If I keep up my current performance I will qualify for Boston in 23 years.

• Options

Welcome BlackTriangle - if I were a betting man, I reckon you'd be worth 50p each way with Ladbrokes for Boston 2034. But I'm not.

Abigail - from what you say, I think you could increase the training load a bit and perhaps start to plot an increase from the level 1 to the level 2 of the training plan. Or just keep doing what you're doing by adding in extra bits as you feel like. You may be an amateur (we all are!), but your approach seems very sensible to me.  If anything, I'd ask you to consider whether or not 4h30 is a bit on the easy side for a goal.

I understand it's your first marathon, and just finishing is fabulous. But if you take the formula of 2x HM PB time, +10 mins, this gives a reasonable target to go for. Which in your case would be something around 4h08.

Something to think about maybe, but I reckon 4h20 is doable for your first time, if you have good consistent training.

• Options

thanks for the encouragement guys! I think I will carry on using HH1 as a base, but keep on adding extra bits here and there during the week, and following the weekend long run distances at a steady/slow pace. For example today it simply said '3 miles'. I ran 3.5 miles at a decent clip, then did some hill reps (in the rain, surely that deserves some extra training points image ). 

My thinking is that most of the online reviewers of HH1 have said that it 'got them round' reasonably well - if I can do this programme 'plus a bit' I will hopefully feel more confident mentally on race day, not to mention being physically more prepared. On the other hand, if in 2 months I'm really struggling with it, I can follow the programme more faithfully knowing I will hopefully still finish. (amateur runner logic strikes again image ). The marathon is all a big unknown to me but I'm trying to give it my best shot without burming out by mid-July!

anyway, enough about me. I see you are based in Birmingham Blacktriangle... are you doing the black country to birmingham half this year? I did last year and really enjoyed it, despite the tough conditions (freak hot weather).

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

A new 10k PB at Clydebank tonight, 48:41. Nearly a minute off my old PB. image

Great boost right at the start of my marathon training to know I've got that pace in me. Now bring on that sub 4!

• Options
    Great stuff Eggy - a minute off is a big deal. Have you tried firing that time into a VDOT calculator to give you indicated training paces for your marathon programme?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Tricky I hadn't, but I just did.

It has returned a marathon time of 3:45, which is well under my goal. The half marathon time it returned was almost bang on my half PB though.

• Options

Eggy - just remember, the VDOT calculator is not supposed to be used as a race time predictor. It's purpose is to make an assessment of your CURRENT running capbility and to indicate the level of training intensity you should use to keep improving.

So your 10K PB time is being used to indicate that with adequate structured training, assuming the same level of training intensity/ fitness as you currently have, you would be able to run a 3h45 marathon under ideal conditions.  That's a whole load of 'ifs'.

Potentially, with a good programme, you could exceed 3h45 because your running capacity should increase. This would mean avoiding injury, good diet, plenty of sleep (for recovery), good balance of easy  endurance and hard speed sessions, all done at the paces suggested by the VDOT calculator. The theory comes from Jack Daniel's book "Running Formula".  Good luck!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Tricky. as with any race I know there is a whole load of ifs. I was just suprised to see that marathon estimate as right now it seems completely unrealistic. I was also suprised to see the half time was scarily close to my actual PB.

I'm going to take a look at this "running formula" over the weekend. I was suprised to PB last night, even more so by the margin. My training has been more about keeping a base fitness this year. To hit a PB in what was seen as a test my pace race has really motivated me to use that as something to push on from. After cutting down on running after Amsterdam last year I feel mentally fresher and really looking forward to training for Berlin.

This year more than ever every mile counts for me. I want to run across that finish line and look at my watch and see a nice big 3:xx:xx on there. Don't care if it's 3:59:59, I need to rid myself of the ghost of Vondel Park. My plan is to be the best I've ever been on that start line in September, if I can do that I'm confident I can hit my target.

• Options

Where I live: Amsterdam

Running since: Seriously again since Sept 2008

Marathons completed: Paris and Amsterdam

Annual training mileage expected this year: Over 1000 but hope to do more - also commute by bike 10 mile each way most days

Aim for Berlin: Sub 4 with Elizabeth - as with Eggy we would be happy with 3:59:59 on the card!

Interesting snippet of info: PB's in 4 distances last year - 10k, 10m, half and full marathon. This year just the one will do - Berlin

• Options

Hi all, I'm doing Berlin this year too!  Very excited, but looking forward to the beer more than the race I think!

Where I live: Scotland

Running since: 2009 but have only properly gotten to grips with it this year

Marathons completed: None (yet)

Annual training mileage expected this year: Hoping to reach 1000miles (injuries permitting)

Aim for Berlin: Heart says sub 4.15, head says sub 4.30, legs say be happy just to finish!

Interesting snippet of info: In the past two years I've had IT band problems, a sprained ankle, a torn rotator cuff, sesamoiditis, and medial peroneal tendinitis.  I don't think I'm designed for sport!!

I've heard only good things about the Berlin  marathon and I'm really looking forward to participating.  I haven't started my marathon training proper yet because I've been following a half marathon plan for a run on Sunday.  I'm thinking about using Hal Higdon's plan - starts on Monday with a rest day image

• Options

Hi all!

I followed the discussion here last year, while resting on my laurels from 2009, but this year I'm going back to Berlin! So here are my vital statistics:

Where I live: Oslo, Norway

Running since: Hmmm... I guess quasi-seriously from 2005. Getting older... I need to do something to stay (moderately) fit & healthy

Marathons completed: 1. In Berlin 2009. Great fun! Ok, it was hot (too hot for Mr Gebrselassie), but great for stretching&resting in front of the Reichstag with complimentary beer. But non-alcoholic? What's with that, Germans?? I know you got the good stuff...

Annual mileage exp this year: Miles? Hmmm.. I prefer kilometers, the numbers just sounds more impressive, I guess... But probably not more than 8-900 miles. Wintertime means skis in Norway, and I guess those miles don't count here...

Aim for Berlin: Sub 3:30, a PB of 20-30mins. Barring any injuries during the training period...

Damn... we don't have a lot of time now, do we? I still haven't got any runs above 22 km, so I'm still optimistic. Two years ago I got so fed up with the really long runs in the training period (+30km, getting up at way-too-early on a Sunday morning, to get used to the torture of running before my body is awake), that I started wondering: "why, oh why do I do this...?" And during the last 7 km of the Berlin 2009 I promised myself: "Never again". And here I go again... Ah, well. Hard at learning,I guess...