Options

Talkback: Eat by the Clock

"Fat and fibre should be limited as they slow the transition of food through the gut"

Surely fibre speeds up the transition of food through the gut?

Comments

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Don't quote me on this but doesn't (insoluble) fibre do its thing after leaving the gut, bulking up your stools and keeping you regular?  It seems the article is recommending avoiding high fibre foods either a couple of hours before or immediately after the run, which would require a careful balance, since you do want carbs in there.  I suppose it comes down to things like eating porridge for breakfast rather than bran flakes, etc.

It doesn't actually say whether fibre is a good thing or not or when to eat high fibre foods if that's the case.  I'll carry on eating my brown rice I think.

• Options
    I read somewhere that you blood sodium levels are HIGHER when racing and that taking electrolytes during the race wouldn't be beneficial.....this artical seems to recmmend taking a sports drink before and during the race.  Which is correct?
  • Options

I am confused by this. The heading is all about eating a sweet potato two hours before but at the end of the article is says...

Eat: Chicken, oats, white fish (cod, haddock), oily fish (salmon, mackerel), brown rice, low-fat Greek yoghurt, bulgur wheat, quark smooth cheese, wholewheat pasta, sweet potato, eggs, brown bread.

Meal ticket: Eggs with brown bread or fish with sweet potato

Maybe I am being a bit slow but there seems to be a whole bunch of mixed messages here?