Options

seen any good flicks lately?

Comments

• Options

Please forgive me for not reading back through 311 pages, in case this is bindun, but...

Dust to Glory. Documentary on the Baja 1000. Pure awesome.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Just saw Bad Teacher. Great way to finish the week. Light hearted & funny.
  • Options

Bit of a boing for the movies thread, but hve to give a major thumbs up for...

Catfish. Movie documentary ostensibly about social networking, but SO much more than that. One of the most interesting and original things I've seen for years.

(apols if it has been done on this thread.... as above, I can't be bothered to trawl through all the previous posts)

• Options

Saw this a couple of months ago Doogie - really interesting take on assumed identities etc.  Really liked how the tension was ratcheted up once the rumble was in and then allowed to dissipate during the reveal. 

• Options
    Anonymous

Elizabethan political intrigue based around the notion that Bill the Quill (Shakespeare) didn't write all of his plays - now whether he did or he didn't is a moot point soon forgotten in this dire movie; it takes all sorts of liberties with history, which does not necessarily a bad movie maketh - (Michael Collins and Patton - being two historically poor but decent films). Bloody awful acting and completely anachronistic script, no pacing, no tension. It's also as camp as pink wellies...

Shockingly dreadful

1/10
  • Options
    I saw Margin Call in theaters. It was really Great I would definitely recommend it.
  • Options
    I like the look of that!
  • Options

Oooh, the flicks thread is back! Now what have I seen recently...?

The Ghostwriter - Ewan MacGregor is the ghostwriter of the title, Pierce Brosnan the Tony-Blair-in-all-but-name ex-PM whose autobiography he's writing.  Throw in Olivia Williams' Cherie-type wife, a war crimes tribunal, a murdered predecessor and some historical facts that don't add up, and he finds the job not quite what it was cracked up to be.  Great use of the New England coast for the setting, average performances from two leads who I don't tend to expect much of, an okay conspiracy plot with a conclusion that's both silly and cynically believable at the same time. The whole war crime part of the plot seems tagged on, with no real bearing on the story other than to put the ex-PM and posse on edge, and seems more like wishful thinking from the writer regarding Blair.

• Options
    I saw Red Road on DVD.  Can't believe I didn't see it at the cinema.  I do believe it has rocketed to No 1 place in my heart as fave film of all time, pipping Small Faces at No 2 and I'm not sure what at No 3, but maybe Ne Le Dis A Personne.
  • Options

Biutiful -  Javier Bardem carried the film. He was great but the film would have been shocking without him. 

Dogtooth -  I wasn't in the right mood to see this. There were some funny lines though.

In a Better World - This film was an Academy Award winner which says a fair bit. Contrived but a relief for me to watch having just seen Dogtooth. 

Incendies -  The story was weak but the film really drew me in with the brothers quest and some well placed action scenes. .  

Outside the Law -  Great performances by the actors but as a review on rottentomatoes said, it was like an overloaded pizza with too many toppings. Weak take on history apparently. 

The Kids Are Alright - This wasn't my choice for a film. A witty 'modern day drama'. A fair few cliches but it wasn't as bad as I expected it would be. Let down by a weak ending.

True Grit - I know this has been out for ages but I enjoyed this much more than I expected I would. I saw it for the cinematography. 

• Options

Oh Red Squirrel - I thought you looked familiar.

Margin Call looks good.

• Options
    I've read 'Ghostwriter' SVT and thought it was a bit dull and I've not seen the film as a consequence. Nice review

Red Squirrel - I feel I know you image I agree 'Red Road' is a very good film... it regularly does the 'art-houses' around the country as a 'requested' repeat. I saw it in Newcastle at the Tyneside two years ago and it was virtually a full house.
  • Options
    LN - I unexpectedly liked true grit!
  • Options

I really enjoyed True Grit, right up to the last 2 minutes.  what an odd ending.

And I loved Tintin after not thinking I would

• Options
    Also saw 'The Reef'. Imagine 'Open Water', but Australian, and with five people in peril instead of two. Based  on a true story, and I won't tell you how many survive. Okay, but nothing that wasn't done at least as well in 'Open Water'.
  • Options

Hello Ninja and Corinth image

I feel more comfortable in my new identity because I truly am a squirrelly sort of girl, always red and never the grey invader.

I saw Animal Kingdom at a friend's.  Disappointing and depressing to no purpose.  First Aussie film I've not liked.  I usually like the dark feel a lot of Australian directors inject into their productions. 

Talking of Aus films, have people on here seen Picnic at Hanging Rock?  The word atmospheric was made for that slice of celluloid ...

• Options

But RS doesn't sound as nice as Parky for a nickname. Squirelly is too long to type. I'm sure I'll adjust though image  had to see PAHR years ago but barely remember it now. 

In my recent movie binge, I also saw 127 hours - no surprises as I knew the ending but still very watchable, and Another Year - A film seen with a fluffy film loving friend. The film didn't work for me. I just wanted to shake one of the main characters, Mary. It was certainly true to life but bored me. 

• Options

I know what you're saying Ninja but I was having an identity crisis.  I can't even remember your previous name, although I do remember you had a change. image

• Options

I'm just playing with you but for the record, my previous nickname was abbreviated to LE so still easy to pronounce image 

• Options
    Yep - I've seen 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' it is very atmospheric and very good.
  • Options
    BTW - If anyone can get up (or down) to Newcastle on a Tuesday or a Thursday over the next 6 weeks the 'Magical Monument Movies' will be showing free films outdoors at Grey's monument... noon, 3pm and 5.30pm start times.

Lots of Xmas movies from 'White Christmas' to 'Scrooge' - but also classics like 'Singing in the Rain' to 'The lady Killers'

I'll be there most Thursdays and if anyone fancies meeting up and a pint after drop me a PM
  • Options
    Sounds good, but possibly a little too far...
  • Options
    Recently watched...

Bad Teacher - 7/10
    Beginners - 8/10
    Cowboys vs Aliens - 7/10
    Green Lantern - 5/10
    Limitless - 7/10
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 8/10 (I was surprised)
    Super 8 - 6/8
    Thor - 8/10
    Transformers 3 - 1/10 (That blonde piece is fekkin' awful)
    True Grit - 8/10
    X-Men: First Class: 6/10
  • Options

Recently watched..

Zulu 10/10

Unstoppable 5/10

Friday the 13th (Remake) 2/10

La Haine 8/10

• Options

Recent films were:

synecdoche new york - Very confused by the end but get the feeling that was the point?

Finally watched Avatar which I enjoyed

Intermanaut - good list of films!

• Options

Hi everyone (tentatively dipping toe in water). I'm new here, so hope you don't mind me posting here? image

I'm off to see Tin Tin tonight, which will be quite a change to the previous film I saw last week which was "Drive". It was a good film but I nearly ended up under my seat when the 'hero' killed a baddie by stamping on his head! image

• Options
    Hi Sqwark - I hardly ever post on here but I just popped in and watched the trailer for Margin Call - does look good!
  • Options
    Sucker Punch - 7/10. Visually stunning, helped along by some really tidy crumpet dressed in rather skimpy gear. It's fantastical and super-hero-esque, but it's enjoyable. The music, sounds, and visual effects are first-rate.
  • Options

This thread seems to have been abandoned, so in the hope of reviving it I'm reporting that I saw "Wuthering Heights" last night. Gritty, realistic, extraordinary. Lots of tramping around in the mud and rain. No music at all until the end titles. Graphic scene of a sheep being killed, and nasty things done to dogs. I wonder what Emily Bronte would have made of it.

Did I enjoy it? Hard to say really as I'm not sure that it is the sort of film that you are supposed to 'enjoy', but it WAS  gripping in a bleak, grim sort of way!!image

• Options

Morning Sqwark,

this thread seems to blow hot and cold so don't worry too much about there being no recent postings.  I'll add WH to the 'must see at some point' list, I struggled a bit with the book, so it will be interesting to see which bits make it to the screen.

Caught up with a couple of superhero 'brain in neutral' films last weekend, like Intermanaut I rated X-men as better than Green Lantern but both far inferior to Thor.