Options

Any weather that people wont run in?

I tend to follow a running routine, and normally have my week planned out, what days i am going to run, since what with family, work etc, i cannot be too spontaneous unfortunately.

Imagine it though, its raining really hard outside, or its so bloody cold even your breath feels like its going to freeze. Is there any weather that people wont run in? I have sometimes got up extra early to avoid the extreme heat on a summers day, but usually i just gear up appropriately when its bad outside. I guess it just made me think, what with these storms we have been having, and i noticed this guy running in it as i drove past.

What about everyone else?

Comments

• Options
    Like KK - if there's black ice about I'll either put it off or head to the gym. Solid ice though I just put on my Yak Trax or as I'm mostly an off road runner stay off the pavements. I'm very lucky in that if its blowing a hooley I have networks of sheltered cyclepaths/bridleways to choose from and if you've got the right kit on - it's never as bad as you think it's going to be!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I'm the same as KK - Black ice is my only real deterent. Am happy to run in mostly everything else.
  • Options
    when icy just go off road

ran through over 1/4 mile of flood waters yesterday on a path i have never seen have anything but surface water......i thought it would only be ankle deep and about 100m.....it got deeper and deeper until I had to pull my short legs fully up as it was mid thigh length.....really strange as it just went on and on...enjoyed it in a strange way.....even though it was murky brown and ice cold
  • Options
    TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    I opt for the treadmill and a gym workout when it is rainy and icy outside. I also try to avoid ghastly winds. Or if it is too dark. I do not mind cold weather.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

If there is I have to find it!

I might move runs around (e.g. do an easy run instead of a session) if its really snowy/icy, but I never cancel because of the weather. 

• Options
    The only weather that's stopped me running was 3ft of snow in Aberdeen, which I think is fair and 30 degrees plus in the mid summer heat in Queensland, other than that bring it on, strangely I love running into the wind, in my head saying this won't beat me image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)
    when icy just go off road ran through over 1/4 mile of flood waters yesterday on a path i have never seen have anything but surface water......i thought it would only be ankle deep and about 100m.....it got deeper and deeper until I had to pull my short legs fully up as it was mid thigh length.....really strange as it just went on and on...enjoyed it in a strange way.....even though it was murky brown and ice cold

I had that cycling in Germany. One morning I thought "it doesnt look that deep" to be met with water up to my saddle! Was a funny story to tell at work but my shoes took forever to dry out!

• Options

Ice (never) and anything over 25C (unless I really can't avoid it) I've been out during the last two gales - only for a short one mind - I couldn't imagine battling strong wimds for more than about 5 miles image

Running in snow's the best image

• Options
    I don't really like ice - especially on a track, but everything else - Torrential rain is great fun, especially if in the woods.
  • Options
    In winds like we've had here the last 2 days...no on safety grounds.  Very mature woodland round here, in fact we had to detour to a race on Boxing Day because a tree fell in our lane.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

windy, a wee bit rain, a bit hot, snow, ice, fog,....

any excuse really.  image

but honestly, < -5 or gale force winds would have me resting or heading for the treadmill.  

• Options
    Ice - makes you fall over. I also avoid meteorite storms and plagues of locusts
  • Options
    Corinthian wrote (see)
    Ice - makes you fall over. I also avoid meteorite storms and plagues of locusts
    Very sensible image
  • Options
    just ice really.
  • Options
    Any sort of ice and fog.
  • Options
    I will switch runs around so that I'm doing longer runs on nicer days - I don't mind running in the rain, for example, but a long run in heavy rain will probably leave me freezing for the rest of the day.
    I run almost totally off road now so ice doesn't really bother me but, I'm with Corinthian, meteorite storms and plagues of locusts should be avoided by any sensible runner.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Again, ice stops me. I do quite a bit of off-road running but I need to cover a mile or two on pavements to get to the trails so if it's icy and snowy I stay in and hit the rowing machine instead.

Don't mind a bit of breeze or rain - common sense applies, though, and I wouldn't have gone out yesterday when the storm was at its height. I got given a good bit of advice when I was training for a multi-day event - be bloody-minded and go out in all weathers, it'll not be worse on race day and the running will be easier.

Only one thing putting me off at the moment, though. There's a Russian satellite falling back to Earth after its launch failed. And not all of it will burn up on re-entry. Perhaps I ought to stay indoors until it's over.

• Options
    Sounds like the ice pretty much stops most people with me included. Try to get out in most other conditions though, but if things are that bad would always just head to the gym for some treadmill fun.
  • Options
    Ghostrider wrote (see)

Imagine it though, its raining really hard outside, or its so bloody cold even your breath feels like its going to freeze.

That's a summer day up here in Scotland image

Never get bummed out by the weather, it's all good for mental fortitude. If you can run a 5-mile hard tempo run in 50mph crosswinds with ice stinging your face you can pretty much do anything! Ice is basically the only deal-breaker but in that case I go run around a field perimeter for as long as necessary.

• Options

I'll hit the treadmill if it's too icy so luckily only once so far this winter. 

I enjoy running in wild weather; getting out there rain, hail or shine is part of the fun. 

Character building.image

• Options
    ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    every now and again a run in some crazy weather is quite fun, but on the whole I am put off by really heavy rain.

Like windy runs somehow feels like I can get more o2 in coz it's blown into your lungs! image not keen if too hot, go for a swim instead
  • Options

The kind with really high winds.

In fact 91mph winds recorded yesterday at weather station 2miles away from my house !

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Ice, like everyone else. Any conditions were practically you can't, or it really wouldn't be safe to, run would put me off. I quite like the rain and storms sometimes because it means less people and I can run in places which would normally be too busy.

A good thunder storm is always enjoyable.
  • Options
    I'm a bit of a wimp and if its torrential rain will go to the gym. I've got quite a weakened immune system so usually use that as an excuse lol.
  • Options

I love running in 'weather'.  It makes for a really interesting run most of the time.  Have to say, my least favourite weather was the sideways hail that forced me to cower behind the only shelter nearby - a nearly bare gorse bush!  If there's ice I tend to play safe and head for a local country estate and go of road on their MTB trails, which are most fun in soggy/wintery conditions anyway.  Love rain although tend to perform badly in strong wind.  Still, it breaks the routine a bit and makes for good experience - afterall, not every race is going to present favourable conditions!

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    CB69 wrote (see)
     but, I'm with Corinthian, meteorite storms and plagues of locusts should be avoided by any sensible runner.
    should be avoided like the plague in fact.
  • Options
    I won't run in ice or lightning.  Lightning poses a particular risks if you carry an MP3 player.  Not because they attract the lightning but because, if you get struck by lightning, the charge is carried straight to your ears via the earphones.  You can also suffer burns where the cables runs.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

You could always leave the MP3 at home as opposed to missing a run... ?

• Options
    And you'll be able hear the meteorite strikes...