Options

The General 10k

I entered this prize draw when I saw it advertised on a thread here - anyone else won at all, it said it was one of 5 free entries.

Comments

• Options
    Or anyone else running it at all - I'm always prepared to come last but if I'm the only one I'll be first and last!
  • Options
    I won one of the places too! image

Says in the e-mail you can pay the extra to bump it up to 'battlezone' (obstacle course)... I'm tempted!
  • Options
    I'm tempted too, I think we'd be able to decide nearer the day so I'll wait and see how I feel - I did an army obstacle course once but that was over 20 years ago!
  • Options
    I've just signed up for the 'Battlezone' should be a giggle and I think you may have a race on your hands image ..................coming last that is!!
  • Options
    Battlezone Matt - certainly sounds like fun, is that the one with the rifle or without? I think I'll leave it till nearer the time to decide which one to do. I've been ill since 2009 and am just getting back into running and entering races again - I haven't done one for so long I want to see how I get on between now and then. I'm doing the Tunbridge Wells 1/2m in a couple of weeks and and somehow seem to find myself with entries for Abingdon and Beachy Head marathons which are only a week apart in October - madness!
  • Options
    Gone for without, the rifle sounded all a bit to much.  Well it sounds like you are well on the way to recovery!! What commitment you have.  How much more do you train for a 1/2m than a 10k.  Good luck to The October MADNESS!!
  • Options
    I just make slow increases each few weeks - I up the weekend long slow run by 2 miles every 3 weeks and have a midweek long run of half that distance - so if my sunday run is 10 miles my midweek one is 5, the other 2 or 3 (not that I ever seem to manage 5 runs a week!) are all small - mondays are always 2-3 miles just to stretch out after the sunday run, tues rest, wed longish, thurs hills or fartlek and friday sensible pace 4 or 5 again, faster than the slow run, slower than the fast ones image I follow the same pattern for marathons too, I've been running since the '80s and have always done the same - works for me image
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Sunluvva.  I like the program although I'm with you on the 5 runs a week...... 
  • Options

ps Sunluvva.  With your experience in running marathons and speaking to other marathon runners.  Would you say everyone you know hits a wall whilst running that distance?  Thanks 

• Options
    No - if you've trained well and eaten properly you don't hit the wall - it's only if you run out of 'fuel'.
  • Options
    Any advice on good 'fuel'?  Would you carry gels for a race?
  • Options
    Lots of people have gels, drinks and jelly babies - personally I prefer not to eat or drink anything that's been created in a lab and stick a banana and some dates in my pocket! Gels hadn't been invented when I started running and you only got lucozade when you were ill!!!!!

Put simply our bodies run on glucose and the best source is from fruit - it's easily digested, won't give you the dreaded 'runners trots' and so long as you start off sensibly and get used to eating it during a run you'll feel the benefit of it image All the reliance on drinks and gels is down to clever marketing and nothing else.
  • Options
    Hey, great to see you guys are up for the race.  I'm in for the 10K, looks like it will a great but some what challenging race.  Started to build in a few hills for stamina training all going well.  Next step.....sunluvvas standard, eating whilst running a marathon!!!!image
  • Options
    Lol Laura - people give me funny looks while I'm chomping away on a banana half way through a race and they're guzzling gels or some bright blue liquid - I think they're all nuts!
  • Options

Haha I could say that I work for a well known energy drinks company and they'll give you wings!  Why did a sugary drink get classified as being good for you when you were ill?  Great marketing yet again.

• Options
    Funny Matt - I imagine you've seen the effects of those drinks when someone has too many - even without the vodka! I'd challenge anyone to drink only water for a month or at least a week and see what the effect of any other drink has on them afterwards whether it's a sports drink, energy drink, a cuppa or even milk - you'd be surprised at how shit they make you feel! That said I'm no fanatic and drink far too much tea than is good for me but like I said I don't touch anything that's been created in a lab!

I suppose lucozade was good when you were ill because you got glucose and that could perk you up enough to want a bit of food - just a thought, it used to come in a glass bottle with an orange cellophane wrapper and looked like it was gift wrapped - and it was really expensive back then.
  • Options
    Coffee is my nemesis - too much and I get the shakes and feel very tired, none at all and I have a headache from hell.  Not to mention the staining of my teethimage  Water is a wiiner all round, cures headaches, re hydrates, good for you and keeps your teeth clean. ha!
  • Options
    I have a pint of water before I get out of bed then try to drink at least 4 more throughout the day - doesn't always happen but I try image

Luckily I've never really drunk coffee - give me a big mug of Yorkshire tea anyday image
  • Options
    The only way to have tea is with a biscuit.........has to be a hob nob with chocolateimage
  • Options
    Lol - I'm with you on the biscuits but I'm one of those rare women who doesn't have a thing for chocolate - give me bag of american hard gums anyday image
  • Options
    American hard gums - do they still sell themimage  How do you work out your distances when running?  Just went out with a new app on the phone and I was quite surprised at how accurate my estimation wasimage
  • Options
    I used to literally do it with a map and a bit of string - a Garmin is so much easier and I wouldn't want to be without mine now. It gives accurate distance, pace, time, calories, heart rate and much much more. I upload it to my laptop and it shows it all plotted out on a map and gives elevations etc.
  • Options
    It's pay day and I wish to purchase a new pair of runners.  Something with tread and can deal with asphalt and mud.  Can any of you guys make a reccomendation?
  • Options
    Salomans or innov-8, that's what I'm saving up for.
  • Options

Looks set to be a great race and raising funds for a Starlight and Help for Heroes!

• Options
    Just watching a program on the Southdowns and may make a weekend of it.  Looks fantastic if not slightly hilly!
  • Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    What programme is that?
  • Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    Ignore that Laura I've just seen which one it is and had recorded it.
  • Options
    Have you had a chance to watch it?