What's in a name

2»

Comments

• Options

see the English language is crap.......image

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

But ~ Harry and Henry have the same amount of letters so how can it be a diminutive?(as do Jack and John)

have you any idea what a diminutive is?

in many languages the diminutive form of a name is longer than the original name.

• Options
    skotty wrote (see)

But ~ Harry and Henry have the same amount of letters so how can it be a diminutive?(as do Jack and John)

have you any idea what a diminutive is?

in many languages the diminutive form of a name is longer than the original name.

I'm also thinking that in days of yore, when a son was named after the father, they probably called the son Jack and the father John to differentiate. They were definitely not called John Junior and John Senior in those days.

• Options

I always thought diminutive meant smaller. 

• Options

If you can stay awake while reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive

• Options

Yes, like the Spanish adding ito to mean smaller despite lengthening the word . 

• Options

He is pretty small...

• Options
    DiscountRunner image wrote (see)
    /members/images/767733/Gallery/Dave.jpg

I'm liking this one... or "Rodney"

• Options

Anyway Nick, why am I getting the impression you have an obsession with dwarves? image

• Options

I often wonder what they would do now if the heir to the throne had a disability..would they hide him/her away as in the past....

as the heir is only a figurehead would they still allow him or her to take up their rightful place as king or queen........

would the dsability act allow then to be pushed aside........

• Options

I think that since the parents are young and from a different generation the attitude would be very different from the way it used to be years ago.

Of course if the child had a mental disability it would be unlikely it could take the throne given the nature of the job - apart from anything else I imagine it would be too overwhelming.

If I remember rightly, one of Kate's bridesmaids had a mental disability.

Physical disability on the other hand - unless it was severe I can imagine that it wouldn't stand in the way  at all - FDR managed to be US president for three terms without anyone finding out he was paralysed with polio - and that was in the 30s/40s.

• Options

If the son had a mental dissability the parent would have to make sure they stayed in power for a really long time so that he could never be king until they were really old. Even if it meant being monarch for over 60 years. In the mean time the son could happily go talk to plants.

• Options

If the son had a mental dissability the parent would have to make sure they stayed in power for a really long time so that he could never be king until they were really old. Even if it meant being monarch for over 60 years. In the mean time the son could happily go talk to plants.

image.ok that made me laugh.....

but even wioth mental disabilities there is such a wide range of abilities etc....I wonder who would decide and when.......

the monarch job is to meet and greet and open up new buildings etc.......could be done by a large number of mental disabilities

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll ask the guy who checked out Prince George after he was born, if he was dropped on his head or something.

🙂

• Options

i don't think you heights for men and women match up Nick.I think you are being incredible sexist by being biased towards the one sex