Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options
    Well I've entered the ballot,if I dont get in,I can always stand ans cheer at the 12 mile marker like last year image my hands were aching off clapping.
  • Options

Hi Vixx.I have a half marathon in three weeks which I have successfully under-trained for,a 10k entry in Februray and the Liverpool half in March.Only real goal is to hopefully achieve 100 parkruns,currently on 56 after today's run and be lucky in the ballot.

• Options

Happy New Year everyone!

• Options

Happy New Year spongcake and CC2 image

Which half are you doing Dasher?

Welcome Tim, and Happy New Year.

• Options

Helsby Vixx.Very popular race,scenic running through four villages and a two mile downhill finish.

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Happy New Year folks, I hope 2013 goes beyond your expectations.

Good luck in the ballot.

• Options
    TimD - thanks for that link just entered my daughter into ballot. Hopefully she will get in and I will be able to enjoy a nice easy run in September getting her round. Happy new year to everyone
  • Options

I've heard good things about Helsby DD - it does sound like it'll be worth a go image

Happy New Year Mr K and Bearsted Plodder - Hope you both have a great year image

• Options

Happy New Year to Fiona and Billy also! Don't know how I missed your post image

• Options

Happy New Year everyone.

Hope 2013 is good to you all. image

I celebrated New Years day with a nice 7 mile run. Very nice. image 

• Options

Happy New Year Stringy image

Have a good one. Come back safe and sound. image

• Options

Hi - does anyone know when the actual ballot opens for th GNR please?

• Options
    Just entered GNR ballot, and spongecake your sore hands and cheering were very much appreciated lat year !
  • Options
    Have you actually entered the ballot mr sj? When I go go the site I can only sign up for reminders.
  • Options

Good morning, everypeople.

Still haven't broken my 2013 running duck. Had thought about a little trot this mornig, but decided bed was too warm, what a wuss.

Blade and K80. There is a "pre-ballot ballot" through the Daily Mirro (see Tim's link on the previous page) which allocates a few early places. If you don't get in that way, you are automatically entered into the main ballot, so effectively, it gives you two shots at getting in. If I remember rightly, you DON'T need to re-enter if you are unlucky in the Mirror's ballot. The main ballot opens in a few weeks, I think.

Good luck, to everyone entering.

• Options

Thanks XL-man - right off to try my luck in the ballot then.

• Options
    Sorry k80 only just spotted your message ! But yes as XL says go through the mirror ballot and they then forward you into the main ballot.

XL - i havent been out for a run yet either, club session tomorrow night, then long run sunday , have been doing loads of sessions on the bike on the turbo trainer though
  • Options

Happy New Year everyone.  Hope those entering the ballot are successful.

There have been some cracking statistics posted here.  My 2012 was average for most distances but only a new PB at 5K (as I only started to run that distance in 2012).  I got consecutive personal worsts for my Half Marathons, the spring one I did not have enough miles in my legs and had a bad day at the office, and in the autumn I sustained an injury.  My total mileage was down by 35 percent and I only got to about 300 miles -  I probably only ran for about 8 months in total.  So apart from joining in with the fun of parkrun and the National Lottery Olympic Park Run, 2012 was not too great as far as my running was concerned.
    I went out for a slow 3.5 mile trot at lunch time today to ease my legs a little as I did about 8.5 miles on Sunday - my next half is mid February.

This evening I was informed that I was volunteered to be Run Director at parkrun on Saturday.  I had said "put me down for any role" and as I was not present when the main roles were handed out on New Years Day I was nominated and seconded!  I don't mind as I was overdue to be RD again.  Then from next week I am Volunteer Coordinator for the month, so that will be fun!

• Options

Thankyou for that advice - I have now entered the ballot so fingers crossed that I can get in!

I did a lot of running some years ago - and got a place in 1996 but had to pull out after getting a severe viral infection. Anyway - after years of 'threatening' to enter again - and as I retire in April - this year would be the right time to do it and tick off a massive ambition.

I am sure I won't be chasing down many folk on here but have started training and am really hoping I can be on the start line in September.

Good luck everybody and happy new year from a GNR thread newbie!

• Options
    Welcome aboard blade41 and good luck in the ballot
  • Options

Good luck Blade41, hope the training goes well and good luck fot the ballot and everyone else entering.
    I totaled up my running miles for 2012 and i only did 524!! Crappest total for quite a while.

• Options
    Blade4 - fingers crossed for the ballot and welcome to the thread.

Stringy - 500 and odd miles is better than no miles at all.
  • Options

Appointment with Consultant Cardiologost today to find out results of heart scans had just before Christmas - hopeful not to serious but who knows - can't bear to think how would feel if she said had to cut back or stop the running. Never had issues with heart before!!

• Options

Morning all.

well, that's 2013 under way with a cheeky little 4 miler. Actually felt quite warm out there in long sleeves !

Quality, not quantity, Mick - I did a 1:49:04 GNR in 2005 off just 450 miles in the year. It took a few more miles than that to get to Redcar last year, but my point is that it's not just mileage alone that matters. Well done on your 7 miler.

I see the Argentine Prime Minister is making her mouth go, is that affecting things for you?

Welcome, Blade and all the best in the ballot.

Good morning, Fiona. Did you say you were heading north this weekend? Have a good trip, and see you on 12th

That sounds worrying, BP - I hope it's good news for you.

• Options
    Morning all,

BP - hope you get some good news !

Stringy- hows running conditions in the falklands ??

Planning my first run of 2013 tonight and hoping my lovely new running shoes arrive today!

As for running mileage, 2012 was my biggest by far but this year im planning on changi things a bit and have a bit more structure and specific sessions and try to limit just running 'junk miles', so doubt i'll hit 1000 again but instead should be hitting a lot more pb's
  • Options

Good morning & Happy New Year everyone!image

I was just wondering if anyone has received a confirmation email to say they have entered the GNR ballot?

I entered last night, money 'taken' from my account  - checked on my great run account and it says I have entered the ballot! In previous years I have received the confirmation email quite quick.

I have checked my inbox and junk but still no mail image 

Bit concerned, only a bit!!

• Options
    I got an email tanlash, came through quite quickly
  • Options

Thanks sj - hope all is OK with my application and best of luck with yours.

Bit concerned, only a bit image

• Options

Fingers crossed for good news, BP.

Good luck Bob Parr for being RD on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone who has entered the ballot.

I added up my mileage the other day for 2012 and I only managed about 500 miles. Happy with that really as I expected it to be about 300 before I started to count!

Ran 9 miles this morning which was my longest run in months. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be with the added bonus of going out in 3/4 length leggings. I don't think I've ever run in anything other than long leggings at this time of year before. I just hope it stays nice and mild til Spring! 

• Options
    Tanlash wrote (see)

Good morning & Happy New Year everyone!image

I was just wondering if anyone has received a confirmation email to say they have entered the GNR ballot?

I entered last night, money 'taken' from my account  - checked on my great run account and it says I have entered the ballot! In previous years I have received the confirmation email quite quick.

I have checked my inbox and junk but still no mail image 

Bit concerned, only a bit!!

I entered the ballot yesterday and got an email confirmation pretty much straight away.

I'm a bit concerned you say money was "taken" from your account as the confirmation email says that the race entry fee will only be deducted from your account if your name is drawn out of the ballot. 

Made it out last night for the first run of 2013. Managed just over 5 miles but damn those mince pies & chocolate over the holiday break image