Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

I put these in my friends birthday Pris Preparation kit.  For fuelling, obv...

http://www.annsummers.com/p/jelly-willies/08cfnhas1023037

• Options

Laminated bristol chart...

• Options

Entry into next year's Piece of String run. This year's entry fee was only £1.37.

Been trying to find the picture of me in my Buck Rogers outfit on Christmas morning 1980, but had no luck. Oh well, you'll just have to imagine a little kid in his pyjamas squeezed into a cheap plastic helmet and pointing a deadly laser gun at you.

Daddsy - I'd probably leave it a day or two. Better safe than sorry when it comes to pains.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I'm with RS. Remember "Two plasters for your tits"?

YM - PMSL image

• Options
    9 miles in the new shoes today - not as enamoured as I was a few days ago but I think it's me, not the shoes. I have not run in shoes for so long that I think any shoe will feel heavy.  I felt like I was landing hard every time, seemed to get pains in my ankles and legs I have not had before, etc.  Probably all in my mind, but it does get me back to that old saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it".   Or, as I often have to tell medical students and residents - "the enemy of good is better"  
  • Options
    Dannirr... sorry if I missed it earlier, but why have you changed footwear?
  • Options

at the risk of starting a never ending debate...sports personality of the year? your pick and why.  I don't usually give a toss about it but while I think all the nominations are amazing and in any other year would throughly deserve it...my vote goes to wiggo.  It's a HUGE blinker but if you ignore the olympic medals, winning the tour of france is just the most awesome feat.  He's also a brilliant personality!!!  All round great guy who's not perfect and never claims to be.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I think I agree with you Sal. Though some on here might favour that miserable Scot....

• Options

I like Wiggins miserable refusal to conform to being a celebrity. Anyone who choses to stay in Wigan when they have the means to leave is obviously a curmudgeonly character and would probably not want to receive SPOTY award, so should get it.

Any other year and Andy Murray would have been an outright hero for winning Wimblydon. I think the two sobbing ladies who won in the canoe was my favourite sporting moment from the summer though.

RR - dog is just fine and dandy. He's also getting very fit. Can keep in front of me for a very long time whilst mountain biking and i'm pushing my HR up. Few days away on business now so tatty bye. Will come back next week with some comments from the surgeon, see what options lie ahead. Ciao ciao image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Right, I need some help. I've drawn a runner in the office Secret Santa. It's just a token thing, so the budget's only ??5. Any suggestions for fun things I could get for a fiver? He's training for a marathon next spring, so I'll put in a 3:30 pace band, mostly to wind him up (although I reckon he can do it), but any other ideas? All I can think of are gels and things, which aren't that exciting.

A friend of mine got a 'marathon survival package' as her SS present. It contained: pain killers, bottle of deep freeze, plasters, beer, a gel and a buff that someone had from a previous race.

I'm enjoying perving over all of these lovely pictures... please keep them comingimage

@TD - Enjoy your business trip! Hope everything went well with the scan yesterday.

@RS - I think Jess Ennis and Mo Farah have to be up there/in contention to win sports personality of the year. Andy Murray is just an arrogant ass in my opinion.

• Options

I'm cycling biased so Wiggo for me by a long shot, with Mo Farah a very close second. I like Murray as he seems a bit like Wiggins to be fairly honest about who he is and not try and be another generic media production line star, but despite his triumphs winning le tour is a bigger achievment in my eyes as is a 5km 10km Olympic double.

I think Ennis might win it as she is so media friendly.

• Options

Absolutely Wiggo for me - and for many of the reasons TD mentioned.  I love his total lack of celebrity and I hope he never allows them to media train him.

All that aside, winning the TdF is, frankly, more of an achievement that most could ever dream of.

• Options

Jess Ennis would be a worthy winner - but then so would huge numbers of people this year.

• Options

being a runner, and a gunner - and the most amazing moment of the games was Mo's victory in the 5000 - that was like the, dare i say the "orgasm" of the games - or the moment where i was truly screaming in delight! If he gets it i will be chuffed. Saying that I'm a massive tennis fan also and have lived Tiger Tim's and Moody Murray's shortcomings for the last 15 years with their a-hem "British tennis failure" tag. I've been on Murraysworld.com since it began and saw his pain at Losing the Wimbledon final and the other 3 slam defeats. To come back in the Olympics and beat Nole in the semi then SmugFed in the final and play the best tennis i've seen him play was wonderful - and then to go and nail his "Slam Duck" at the very next attempt for me he needs to get it by default. Saying that, Wiggo is the "coolest Dude" of the 3 and his acheivements in Olympic Cycling and winning the Tour are unmatched and its just so damn hard to pick in winner. David Weir is AMAZING! i was there when Jess broke the 100m hurdles WR.

AAAAAAAHH - Pick one TJB - local hero "MO!"

• Options

I think Mo Farah's achievement was remarkable as was Andy Murray's grand slam, plus I really like Andy Murray not least because he isn't Tim Henman;  Ellie Simmond's probably gave me my emotional highlight of the games and Jess is, well, Jess.  However, I really can't see past the King of the Mods.

• Options

DV - I had this nagging feeling that perhaps I could run faster in cushioned shoes.  Perhaps I can, but it's not worth it. My feet hurt today.

• Options

Dannirr - I think if you found an injury free way to run using the vilbrams then you are best sticking with it.

• Options
    Andy Murray or Wiggo for me - because they both won major international titles as well as Olympic gold. But, and it pains me to say this, because I like the way Andy refuses to be a media show-pony, I think it has to be Wiggo, because of his generally sportsman-like behaviour during the Tour.
  • Options

All depends whether you're voting for the personality or the achievement I guess. Mo for personality, Wiggins for the achievement I'd say.

Disappointed the Brownlees were left off the list. Not that either would have won I suppose. Hey ho, you're never going to please everyone.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

oh dear, Someone brought the sweets into work and I can't stop filling my face.

I know that it's bad for me but they taste so good image

• Options

Wiggo sittin on that throne after he nailed the time trial in the Olympics! he's just dropped about 5000 calories and destroyed the rest of the field by 45 seconds and he's just too cool for school!

• Options

Orb - the mince pies are in full flow in my office but i am sticking to my guns and chomping on raw Spinach and sushi! (wow i really now how to push the boat out right)

• Options

Just got back from cold windy blustery rain soaked 8.5m interval session (no PB today but oh so close)

didnt have the contacts in and the wipers arent wired up on the specs so i was hampered by poor visionimage

• Options

OUCH (the nips)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

oh dear, Someone brought the sweets into work and I can't stop filling my face.

I know that it's bad for me but they taste so good image

The big boss bought in cakes and i've been good nibbling on my carrots...

The Jimbob wrote (see)

OUCH (the nips)

Same issue here. I've been tempted to put those heated handwarmers across them to stop them getting so cold..... does anyone have any other ideas?

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

The Jimbob wrote (see)

OUCH (the nips)

Same issue here. I've been tempted to put those heated handwarmers across them to stop them getting so cold..... does anyone have any other ideas?

Many...

...but this is an open age forum image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I somehow knew that you might have some 'other' suggestions image Anything Suitable for work (SFW)?

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

I somehow knew that you might have some 'other' suggestions image Anything Suitable for work (SFW)?

Oh good Lord no.  Nothing that's actually useful. image

My only method is to apply micropore tape.  Sometimes when I'm going running too...

• Options

I've been lurking in the shadows for far to long now, thought it's about time I said hello to all. Really enjoying the usefull bits of info and the lots and lots of not so usefull infoimage. Come the 7th Aprill if I train well and am really lucky I'll be running with 39638 on my shirt, not sure what color band that put me in.