Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    DV - 102 miles? At what point in a hundred mile race do you think 'you know, I don't think this run is quite long enough?' image

Clag - you could probably sneak in the odd parkrun, although I agree it's not a good idea to race every week. But the occasional one is a good way to judge progress.
  • Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

@DV - 102 mile ultra.... i'm breaking into a sweat just thinking about it! Did you hear the request on TalkUltra for a ultra runner to speak on the show every time/every other show about how they're getting on in training for their ultra? It might help raise your profile for Badwater?

Yes, I heard that...   I really don't think that is something for me..  I don't train much compared to what some of those people do...  I think it will be good to get someone interesting on and to follow the training and how to fit it in with real life, but that's not me.   I did send a note about my Paris run..  I thought that might be interesting...

• Options

RS - Be careful with that leg.

Clag - I normally do one tempo run a week of about 9/10 miles.

Ice on the pavements this morning. This could be a long winter!.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Mighty bored of my lurgy now....and my hurty leg.  Bah.

YM - I know what you need

Lurgy & Hurty Leg thing, if it's all the same with you, I cast you out

There you go. A little gentle exorcise image

• Options

Thanks Orbutt.  This thread is so, erm, helpful...

I've just realised that as well as having no core, I also have no glutes.  Bah again.

• Options

For the girls who liked my Paris frock - Get Cutie have 10% off until midnight tonight...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

But, yer_maj, what if I lose a ton of weight and am too slim and glam' for the size I order today?image I'll add that to my list of things that i probably don't have to worry about....

Meantime, here's our Stray Runner

Emmy, I bought this  and I love it. It's light and it doesn't bounce around. It took me a while to get the straps right...I  bought a hydration pack to go with it and that's definitely easier than taking a bottle out of the side pockets. I was sold by the comment, somewhere on the site, that the integral rain cover was essential up here.(It's hi-viz yellow  so it's useful  rain or no rain..)

• Options

SR that's a great pic!  I shall get you a mudfest one from The Grim on SaturdY image

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

@jimbob - do you remember his race number or name? You can do a search on the results? A girl from my last marathon did that and found me on facebook.

Hmmmm...she's not a cyberstalker is she Emmy?

• Options

it was even taken in wales yer_maj....it is the final descent into llanberis at the end of marathon eryri

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Weedy - Nah. We spoke about it briefly whilst we were on our run together. She found me on the page on facebook and sent me a mail. She's a lovely girl and has just asked me to crew with her for her first 100 miler as I kept her going for her 40 miler.

• Options

SR - End of marathon! You're making that look way too easy.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

SR - End of marathon! You're making that look way too easy.

Agree with that... you were trying hard enough image

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    Emmy_H wrote (see)

@jimbob - do you remember his race number or name? You can do a search on the results? A girl from my last marathon did that and found me on facebook.

Hmmmm...she's not a cyberstalker is she Emmy?

EASY on the Stalkage Ems! - no seriously, cause its the crappy "Nike Branded" half marathon where they give you their branded running top to advertise their "Nike Brand" the race numbers are really small so i couldnt read it to find out was his name was so i could look him up on facebook so i could have a fine bromance with him. Plus, if he did have a race number it was covered by his blimmin bulletproof vest. He'll have to be remembered as my namesake in the bulletproof vest who actually used more curse words than me during the race (thats my thing - i go all tourettes when i'm trying to muster a bit more energy for the late miles)

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

To give us a bit of a clue as we try to find each other among 40,000 in shorts'n' vests..

Orbutt

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jimbob - According to MarathonTalk; i had my first female version of a bromance! We firmly bonded during the 2 1/2 hours we ran together. I fed her jelly babies, sang loudly (and out of tune) and tried to take both of our minds of it!

What about finisher pictures?

• Options

its so emotional Ems image

• Options

@ATM - the Whos Who? is coming together.

@Emmy, we didnt finish together so i'll just have to cherish the memory!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It was.... I'm running the route again on 15th December so will let you know if I find someone else to have a bromance withimage

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

This week's 'must read'

before the mad world domination..errr.. ultimate marathon plans ...   kick in.

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

This week's 'must read'

I really need a copy of that one! image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Me 'n' Emmy_H

Hang in there Eggy. It's too icy to run , today, anyway...

• Options

Plans?! Oh that's scary. Went to see the physio/podiatrist/consultanty type person today. Same guy who went to Hawaii with Queen Chrissie both times she broke the WR. Even so, didn't realise that for a problem with the feet you had to pay through the errr.... nose. :/

Long story short: My feet aren't bad but they could be better. Have a few natural variations that predispose me to niggles. Been told to get massaged more (volunteers??) and live on the foam roller. Orthotics on their way, I really hope they sort me out!! image

I forgot how fast this bleeding thread moves... been a bit busy lately... ATM - I challenge you to a 200 word summary of the last 2 weeks...image

Right, I'm going to try to read back...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - look at you, you're floating image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

If only, Orbutt...

Tsssk, Engineer  image Précis is not me strong point. But here'sthe team. *Good luck with getting volunteers to massage your feet.'Phone us from the cells..*

• Options

I have got my number sorted!!!!

I guess I need to start training now. First run in 2 weeks today as I have had a cold. It is worrying how much fitness you can loose in 2 weeks.

• Options

Engineer....   I have lost all faith in podiatrists....  their proliferation to prescribe orthotics is just too much of avoidance for the actual cause of whatever biomechanical problem (if any) that you might have.  

The science of the foot is obviously complex and especially so where athletic demands are required...   but they just seem to fall back on orthotics as the cure to the problem.

I'm not convinced any more...  I used orthotics for about seven years until the summer just gone.  They seemed to solve one problem, but created others.  I saw three podiatrists during that time and all of them enthused about orthotics but none of them tried to suggest anything else as a problem solver.

My experiments over the summer with barefoot running (just 2 x 10 mins per day for six weeks) seem to have fixed the problems.   Now, I don't use orthotics, have no knee pains and no blisters.   

My Hoka's are a minimalist shoe (only 4mm drop) and I am increasingly convinced that minimal running is the way forward to avoid and perhaps fix biomechanical problems created by poor technique, poor choice of shoes and incorrect foot strike.

Its just my point of view, but worth thinking about...

• Options

Preferential
    991 Denis Duret 

Red
    3231 Small Hands
    3434 Neil Belgium
    4321 dhale750
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD 

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    29684  Radar Sal
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39107 Trevor Olver
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus

• Options
    It's cold and dark out there. Do I have to go for a run?

(Whinge, whine, moan, groan)