Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Malcs - I am convinced because I knocked a total of 20 minutes off my HM pb this year so I know it's doable.

Yep, I fly the welsh flag for the forum.  I'm in Cardiff.  Other bits of me are Scottish and Irish....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

ooo, Our new buddy is a Buddy ....

Welcome back, the new-and-better helterskelter image Is this hail suiting you? We did about 7k, this morning, and it felt like being whipped. * N.B. I've never, actually, been whipped but there's always that to look forward to...* there was not the remotest chance of me going back out to put in some more k s, this afternoon, so a DV Dreadmill Hills Session was done instead. It's soooo horrible and hard, it must be doing some good....eh? For anyone who hasn't had a go at DV's plan, here it is again...

Your running pace will be at whatever you would normally use, but allow it to be a little slower for the hard parts. Try not to adjust the pace at any time... just adjust the elevation. As the incline drops, you will really notice the difference, and by the time it drops to 2% you will feel like you are making no effort at all, and at 0% you will feel you are floating...! Go on, just give it a try. Its only 3 miles.

Before you start, make sure you are properly hydrated and have a drink with you for during the run.

Lap 1 0%
    Lap 2 2%
    Lap 3 5%
    Lap 4 8%
    Lap 5 2%
    Lap 6 5%
    Lap 7 8%
    Lap 8 10%
    Lap 9 2%
    Lap 10 5%
    Lap 11 2%
    Lap 12 0%

The build to Lap 8 is obviously the big one..  but see how you get on.  By the end, you will feel so good..

• Options

DV is a bad and evil man.  And I haven't even tried his dreadmill shenanigans.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Yer_Maj You dirty woman. That pic is pure joy image

It was that image  It was the 2011 Grim and I was loving every minute of it.  I was very disappointed that I wasn't fit to run it this year...and that I ended up being too ill to go and support.  Next year, however...! 

• Options

PB'za-flyin all over the shop! just knocked another 28seconds of the 10K - didn't manage to dip it below 46 yet but 46.09 is an improvement so i'm happy. My weekly 8.5mile "Speed" session doing laps of Regents saying hello to other others runners and police armed with rifles as i'm gasping for air! 6 mile recovery run tomorrow.

btw i used deep heat today and it really hit the spot! i don't use it that often but always carry a can.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I will have a mince pie in your honour, Jimbob.image

• Options

yeahhhhhhhhh - image cheers Ally - i've celebrated by having a cup of tea and half a nature valley (party guy!)

• Options

Wild Jimbob, wild. Well done but I'm with ATM, let's break out the mince pies nom nom nom.

Malc the strength thing was just from my experience. I have never run a marathon where the last 6 miles were anything but some kind of monstrous torturous mindbending hell on earth but I have heard mysterious rumours of super runner types who don't get that or who even (deep breaths) speed up over the last few miles. Now this is despite eating all the gels I can get my hands on (my first marathon I looked like an SIS rambo) so it's not the wall, it's just pain. In London this year I was properly broken by then end (it took me an hour and a half to walk the 1/2 mile to my hotel and people kept stopping to ask if I was okay!) and my splits reflected it. My 20 mile training runs weren't like that so I have concluded that I need to get stronger if I want to run at what was calculated as a reasonable race pace for my training.

ATM I couldn't bear the thought of fighting the dark icy pavements last night so I did an hour on the dread. It was nasty and the shins were twinging so I don't think that's a good idea for me. But it's vile out there and I'm supposed to run tonight. It's not going to happen is it?

• Options
    Failed in Koc run so another late one for me tonight once I get back to Yorkshire.

Just booked hotel and but 0.1 miles from the arc image
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

LOL - helterskelter, "SIS Rambo" - love it image.

I ran 1 where it wasn't as bad in the last 6 but all the rest have been excruciating. It's good to know I'm not alone.

• Options

I can't remember much about the last 6 miles in Paris.  I remember saying to sister in law (Jimbob you "met" George on fb tonight!) at 19 miles that I wasn't sure if I could do it or not....then some painful stuff happened then George miraculously appeared at the finish line and I cried on her.  I am concluding from this that I am normal....

• Options
    Welcome Malcs

Ok, I think I'll try the leg out tomorrow morning for just 5 miles. Massage woman went over it (and everything else) pretty well last night. She says lots of micro scar scar tissue trapping those extensor muscles and tendons. When I confessed to some self prescribing of oral steroids to speed up recovery, she promptly lifted the sheet and proclaimed "yes, I can see that!"

I was laughing so hard I nearly fell off the table.
  • Options
    Hi Malc. I think Neil has been closest to what I think may be the key issue for you - quantity of training. My impression is you need to get more time on feet in longer runs. A lot of people believe that as long as they do a longish run most weekends, it is enough. But these aren't always so long or consistently run. Plus, doing some medium long runs midweek will also help a lot in changing your body's energy systems to support distance running at speed.

HelterSkelter. A delight to hear from you again. I certainly hope you can find your long running legs again. Mind you, there's no need to be up to marathon running condition. Just being able to play your part in a teamis all that's needed. I personally have no idea if I can contribute any running. This time last year I was dong 25km runs in the morning before work in around 1h45-2h00. Seems like a dream now.

Hi there Wiola. You haven't changed a bit image

Think I'm going to have half a foot of snow to deal with before I make it to the ferry to England tmrw. Hooray for rear wheel drive carsimage. Stay safe everyone.
  • Options
    That needs a better description of the evidence Dr.Dannirr image

Going to get me soe gluten free mince pies this weekend. I love 'em!!!
  • Options
    I am trapped in house with no mince pies, and you're all giving me ideas image .

However, looking on the bright side I've developed a fine line in shortbread manufacture. Having been invited to a party where I have to bring foodstuffs from 'home' I thought a bottle of malt and some home made shortie would do the trick. I made a test batch and tried it on my colleagues and, though I say so myself, it was rather good. And none of them are dead yet, which is a plus.

Yer_maj - are you still suffering with the hideous fluxes? That sounds like a really nasty one. Have we all had our flu jabs?

And Kaz - can't remember if I've already said, but good to have you back image .
  • Options
    Mmm gluten free mince pies, what a jolly good idea.

Talking of the last 6 miles, at London I had more trouble mentally with the 6 miles leading up to the last 6. Physically, the last 6 were pretty harsh tho' as I was injured.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Tricky Dicky - that makes sense. Also tallies with the advise I'm getting elsewhere. 

Dannirr - thanks for the welcome!

yer_maj - image

• Options
    Just been swimming again and managed 6 minutes longer than Tuesday before getting cramp, in the other leg this time image. Still, 1.7km in 31 minutes isn't too shabby, must be the first time I've swum seriously in about 5 years. Garmin works well too, even knows what stroke you are doing.

I'm on the mince pies now. Waitrose all butter to be precise. Nobody else in the family likes them so have the whole box to my self image

Good luck with the drive TD. All the forecasts say we will have serious snow tonight.
  • Options
    I think the way to deal with the last 6 is to do at least one training run of about 22. Then it's only 4 left.
  • Options
    And welcome Malcs to the madhouse! image
  • Options

I didn't buy mince pies, I looked at them and decided to be good instead. That was a stupid stupid notion, now I'm incredibly jealous at the thought of other people eating them!!

• Options

Dannirr somehow that works fine for me in training but at marathon pace it's a whole different story. Next time (if I can work myself up to a next time) I'd do those long runs with half the mileage at race pace I think.

• Options
    Helterskelter - that's true, but I need that mental boost to say I've done that many miles recently, even if it was slower. I gotta try any mental tricks I can!

Next week is a heavy mileage week for me. It includes that 22 mile run the day after a 12 miler. Hope my leg is ok.
  • Options

RR - Oh, home made shortbread. image

HS - Rookie mistake on the mince pies. I have a mince pie stash thanks to a trip to Aldi.

I do tend to suffer in the final six miles and have had a few beaten moments in that stretch, but I seem to have beaten that this year. I did pull up in Chicago, but that was purely due to the injury and nothing else. Even at that I still forced myself to run the final 1.5 miles.

In Paris it was about mile 22 that I started to really hurt, but I knew my time was way better than expected and I think you would have had to shoot me to stop me in those last few miles. I'd been chasing that sub 4 so long I was determined not to let it slip again. For me mentally it helps to think of the last few miles as something I've done in training, so I think of a six mile training run route and how I can bash that out regularly and get tell myself it's "just" something I've done plenty of times.

• Options

Hi Malcs

TD - Just booked Monday, July 22, off work for the parallelathon image 

• Options

busy day on the forum...have skimmed a bit but:

welcome malcs!  Question: how many marathons have you done?  What are your splits, half, 3/4 etc?  Is there a big crash in the last quarter?  I've got a 1:53 half pb and a 3:55 marathon pb (SUB 4 YAY!  that was on my 4th marathon.  Experience counts for a bit.  yeah, am still stoked).  how far into your runs do you start to take on nutrition?  From your speed at shorter distances and amount of +20mile training runs you should be on course and strong enough to maintain the pace...so I think it's nutrition and/or the last 6 miles.  They hurt and it's masses of mind over matter/pain.

Kaz - welcome back.  Keep at that recovery and yes, it's much better now than during training. Damn mother dropping the secret!  Hope you told her off big time.

Mince pies...haven't had one yet...will probably rectify that over the weekend.  right, off to finish prep for big work party tomorrow.  It's gonna be messy but hopefully more others than myself...it's a big hope. imageimage

• Options

Dannirr - self prescribing steroids...quite a few wrong words there.  Lovin' the masseuses reaction.

• Options

Dannirr - You can't be far off starting your taper for Disney. Very jealous of you doing the Goofy.

RS - Enjoy your night out tomorrow. I have my works Christmas bash tomorrow too.

• Options

Eggy - not just yet - stil got a couple hard weeks and SLR's then taper. I'm not sure I need a full out taper as I'm not racing, just running Goofy.  I want to race Paris.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Reindeer - I've done 5 marathons. Looking at pace on a 10m/10m/6m split this year I did 8:42/8:38/9:45 - crash. The year before I was 8:58/8:40/8:58 so more even - no crash that year but going back again 9:059:089:48 - crash again.

Looking at those pacings I guess I clearly wasn't going to make 8mm. However, in all years I had some overuse niggle in the latter stages of training and so my plan was always to start slow and get quicker - never worked image

I hit the wall badly in my first marathon as I took no gels whatsoever. Since then I've taken one every 6 miles - 4 in a race with salt tabs on top.

On another thread it's been suggested that I just don't do enough miles (20-40) per week with no MLR. 

I think I really need to go back to the drawing board. I'm hoping to get some answers from the coaches should I make it through to the 26.2 final 5.

If that doesn't happen I've found some great advise here and on other parts of the forum - thanks so much for taking the time!

• Options

Good luck Malcs!  I thought about trying for the asics 26.2 but didn't know how I'd go with my injury.

ummm....yeah...most marathon runners I know, start slow and get slower.  It's a VERY difficult thing to do a negative split marathon.  So you're on 3/2 short runs and then a LSR?  yeah, that's not enough.  I find 2 short, 2 med and LSR are the min for me.  Along with a day of cross training to ease it all out.  I'd got for every 5 miles on the gels too and don't know if you need the salt tabs but nutrition is a very individual thing.  Do you do exactly the same spacing etc during a LSR?  no need to answer questions, they're for you to mullimage

Dannirr - run goofy, hee hee hee, well aparently your goofy isn't as goofy as it could be according to your masseuse.

Eggy - I'll see you by the bar...hopefully not under it.