Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I'm currently in the 4hr pen but tracking for around 3.40 (maybe even slightly less); do you reckon I'd be able to move pens?

• Options

Cheers TD, I guess what I'm asking though is should I have stuck to the HR zone and taken the hit on the pace, or did what I did, ditch the alert and run to a "comfortable" pace?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tmbrntt - definitely. I've done it every year so far. At the expo, once you've collected your bib, there is a desk at which you can swap pens. It's sometimes labelled 'Litges' but all they do is stick a a different coloured label on your bib and Bob's your uncle. 

• Options
    Uisge Jo wrote (see)

Cheers TD, I guess what I'm asking though is should I have stuck to the HR zone and taken the hit on the pace, or did what I did, ditch the alert and run to a "comfortable" pace?

Comfortable pace Jo. HR can be an unreliable guide - so many factors affect it. All you needs is a good espresso before you set off and HR levels can be wonky.

• Options
    James B73 wrote (see)

peaks and troughs come to mind

That's precisely it James. A couple of years of ups and downs, trying to make comebacks but not being able to sustain any hard training for any length of time. Which is why I am quietly happy now. I've changed maybe 50% of my training onto the bike and I seem to be getting away with some really intense training right now. I haven't done any speedwork to be able to gauge what I am capable of but the base fitness levels are getting into the region where a strong performance is possible.

• Options

Cheers again, my brain was too distracted with the idea of running 22M to be able make decisions elsewhere! longest run of the training done though, the rest will be 18-20 but with sections of MP thrown in...

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DLR - sorry you're not going to Paris, ad I know the feeling as I won't be there either!  Will you be in London the following week?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

TD - I read that as "I have some Dump Fatigue".  Where, exactly, would that be on The Chart?

VDOT, you say?  Why, that would now be 40  image   I plugged in my 21.1km time and it said 41 which scared the bejaysus out of me so I am sticking with garmin time for 21.68 km and a nice round 40 thank you very much.  Which is spot on where my easy pace with HR at 70% has been for the last month.

Somebody please nail me down until Paris, I am terrified I have peaked too early.

• Options
    You haven't peaked too early woman! You've improved during the training plan and you are experienced enough to re-evaluate your goals after yesterday's stunning performance. I'd take that 41 and load it into your Royal Cannon.
  • Options

Evening all,

Good to hear about everyones training and racing success.

Training going fine for me. Managed to knock out a 20 miler yesterday, always good to get to that number. Took it all quite gently, though I got hard about the 16 mile point, when the wind picked up and it started raining, but thats all part of the fun I guess.

• Options

Well done on your long run Pete. Is that the first time you've run that distance?

Yer_Maj - just ignore the fact that your Garmin recorded 21.68kms. They only claim accuracy to +/- 2%, so over 21.1kms it could be out to 21.55kms even if you took the most direct route.

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

image Kaz.. hoping you're feeling better in time, but if not then it's the right thing - TD is right, as hard as it will be to deal with at the time, it's not good to push. There will be other races.. there will be other Paris' too.

No run for me tonight, too much work to do, out tomorrow night to try a bit of speed on the calf. Physio on Weds - I hoping she'll say I've been v good with my exercises and say all better.

Less than five weeks to go... I love Paris! I am so excited! We went to Paris for our first wedding anniversary - it will be ten years this year and finally we're going up the Eiffel Tower!

Rach - good luck with the rest of this week! You must be so excited! You asked about tracking devices ages ago and I never replied but meant to.. we use the very simple find my iphone app - both Mr S and I share the same Apple password/itunes etc.. account so both phones are synced to the same app and we can log in and find where the other phone is. We both always take our phones with us when we run/cycle and so can monitor progress/where to meet/when we'll be home (usually he checks on me when I've been out ages and dinner is burning/I've got lost/chased by cows in fields). He did Manchester to London in 24hours last summer and it was genius to track him during the night and as he cycled across London and we had to get to the finish before him. Obviously nothing about speed ect.. unlike other more technical stuff but brilliant for being able to find them/know they're safe/haven't fallen off somewhere.

• Options

Hi TD, well first time this year I've hit 20 miles.

This will be my 17th marathon at last time of counting.

Was a bit miserable at the end of my run yesterday, but kept telling myself it will all feel worth it, on hopefully a lovely spring day in Paris image

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Wow Pete - 17th Marathon! You know what you're doing!

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Did another 2 hour cycle today,tho it was a bit start stop for my liking as my cycling partner is a bit out of shape.Going for a hard 2.5 hour session today then hopefully get a 3 hour cycle in Thursday or Friday
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Jokeybhoy, if you re going outside today... image
  • Options

Ah Jokeybhoy - if only I could transport you here (near Brussels). Perfect blue sky. I'd take you out for a gruelling 3 hr bike ride if you'd like!

So today is Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday - the day of confession as we head into Lent. They say it's good for the soul. So does anybody want to confess anything to the congregation of this parish? what's the naughtiest thing you've done this last year? Every confessor get's an absolution so don't be shy (and no one has to be of any kind of religion to do this!!).

;-)

• Options

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Training_Stress_2014-03-03.jpg

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Training_Load_2014-03-03.jpg

I see the links I placed yesterday got broken. Here's what those graphs looked like, but nice and small so you have to really squint and you can't read them properly. RW know best to squeeze all images into an 800x600 frame. Wishing you all a lovely day.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Pete Sherri wrote (see)

This will be my 17th marathon at last time of counting.

Ooh - we have another multi marathoner! How long has it taken you to get up to 17 marathons?

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

So today is Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday - the day of confession as we head into Lent. They say it's good for the soul. So does anybody want to confess anything to the congregation of this parish? what's the naughtiest thing you've done this last year? Every confessor get's an absolution so don't be shy (and no one has to be of any kind of religion to do this!!).

;-)

My name is Emmy and I ate 3 of my múm;s homemade cupcakes. During Lent - i aim to have a spring clean and be brutal with the amount of "junk" i have accumulated.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I fear I have had a very dull year on the confession front.  Must try harder....

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Emmy - You run about three hundred marathons a week. You're allowed a cupcake or three.

• Options
    All right, I confess. Sometimes I go out running in Top Shop leggings instead of fancy Lycra. There, I've said it. Do I have to hand back my Proper Runner badge now?
  • Options

RR - you are forgiven of that heinous sin. Go in peace and sin no more. image

• Options

Hi everyone again. I am setting up a BCRC running club on Strava. It seems to be a pretty cool way of sharing our running data and performances and comparing what we've been up to, in a friendly-competitive way. The thing is, I'm loathe to enter my Facebook credentials into Strava, so am still working out how to invite people into the club. Send me an email to running.richard@ gmail.com (ignore that space) and I'll invite you in. It looks like fun and is a bit more useable than the BCRC on Garmin Connect.

Everyone is welcome to join in. image

• Options

On an unrelated note, it seems this thread has vanished from the usual sections of the forum. I had to search for it to find it. It looks like its because the original post (By yer_maj i think) seems to be deleted?

Anyone else having problems?

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Dear Father TD - Forgive me I have sinned. I had to look up what the the seven deadly sins were, fortunately ignorance isn't one of them.

Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride.

I think you can put me down for 4/7.image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Here I am, what's happened to me?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - please don't think badly of me but I must confess a guilty secret.

Every year, Mrs O and I stay up and watch the Oscars, try to predict the winners and eat junk food. I wash mine down with a traditional Irish iron supplement. image

Can you forgive me?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Matty - Same issue here. The thread no longer appears in the 'Events' forum for some bizarre reason.