Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

I'm back from a 16 mile run! Ha ha! whoop Whoop! no pain and a great run.. Got the train to a town 16 miles away and ran home through the Chilterms, beautiful morning with the sun on my back the whole way. Did the last three miles at MP or just under. V slow overall but it's about getting to Paris able to run and I am feeling v positive. now image

• Options

3h45 on the bike and hardly a spot of rain. Didn't get dropped once on the hills today, despite being accompanied by an ex-pro triathlete and two very serious IronMen (both 11 years younger than me!). I was quite happy with that.

I collect all the HR data from my running and biking and using a plug-in to SportTracks program, measure something called TRIMP (Training Impulse). It is the single best metric for estimating fitness I have ever seen. Along with fitness, it can also estimate training fatigue. Today, I hit the highest number I have ever had for fatigue, meaning my accumulated training efforts are the most intense they have ever been in my life, right now.

OK, I'm going for a lie down until TinkerBEL returns from her LSR, whereupon I shall pamper her something rotten because she is made out of 100% ace-ness

image lovely day to one and all.

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Stuchbury, that sounds like a most enjoyable run.

No pb this morning in my 10k, 2 minutes out.  Still, great conditions compared to those Blackpool had to offer Orbutt and Jo last weekend.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kirsten - I am jealous of your weather. Well done on your run, all the same. image

• Options

Very very tired. Is that allowed? I did run 28km...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tink - we'd be more surprised if you weren't tired. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jema - Good luck tomorrow.

Stuchbury - Great that you seem to be right back into your running.

I managed to complete my 20 mile LSR today, but completing it is just about the only positive I can take from that run. Felt tired from the off, pace was embarrassing and the last three miles had me groaning and ouching every few yards, Really glad that one is out the way. Hopefully just a bad day at the office, but my rollercoaster form just now is a right pain.

Thankfully that's 3 x 20 and 1 x 21 mile runs done so far in training for this. Got a 22 mile LSR in two weeks time and then the taper starts.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Improved avg pace on long 21.5 mile run this morning from 9:40 last week (3:27:08) to 8:51 (3:10:18) that's 17 mins faster and only 30 secs slower than target race pace ... The massage and weekly mile reduction 62 to 47 must have really helped
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

wow...Great running , all round. Well done, Andy-W-. You must be chuffed.

Stuchbury, I'm aiming for the same frame of mind as you. I'd like to be able to get from the Start to the Finish , any-way-but-on-the-Metro but I'd like more of your positive outlook, before then.

20 miles for me, Thursday. Lots of walking, an ill-advised bag of chips at 17 m and hail and sleet of biblical proportions. On the plus side, I was still on my feet...That'll do.image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Well done Andy that's some jump in the space of a week.

• Options

I have finished my 21 mile LSR, but I did cheat and divide it into two runs with a 5 mile dog walk sandwiched in the middle! 14 mile pre- breakfast was hard- averaged 9.37mm, 7 mile this afternoon was easier although on the same hilly route as this morning - average pace 8.59mm. I think I am quite happy with that considering I only finished anti-biotics on Thursday, and I know I am still not 100% and unlikely to be for a couple of weeks. 

Well done on getting the runs done Eggy. I feel your pain. 

Andy that is some difference in a week, well done.

ATM - I like the refreshments in your run!image

Tinks - I meant to say before, that is some loss in a week - be careful madam! 

• Options

That sounds like a great week, Stuchbury! And mattywarr, good going on the cadence stuff. I have to say, I did a wee bit of that in parkrun today. Felt odd, but I wasn't step counting, I was trying to not go too fast before tomorrow's half. 

I ran with Mr KS and my friend Tony (who you will meet as he's doing Paris). Tony hasn't done a marathon before but has been doing the LSR with us on Sundays. Today he managed 17miles before parkrun - after two night shifts. Think he might be a KOCer! He's currently in the green pen but I reckon he's on for a 3:45, easy. His half PB is 1:43 and that was on a windy course. 

I'm pleased with my Silverstone number - a nice round 8600. Packing's mostly done, bib on, chip on. Just about to eat pasta and toast and have a muffin for afters. Yum!

Good luck to all racing/running tomorrow - looking forward to seeing the stool flying in real life!

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

ATM - loving the chips! Sending you some positivity... I was not in a good place this week as I thought I'd done something to the calf on the 10 miler on Weds and was cursing myself all Thurs and Fri for going so far and causing pain, and still not confident as I started this morning but I felt good all the way... You've got to think Paris might not be the run you wanted it to be but if you're there, you'll be ok. I don't think a sub-4 is on the cards for me, all the more frustrating because it was I think with ease if I'd bagged the 18/20/20/15 I should have done in the last month but a slow marathon is better than no marathon and as I told myself on the first LSR of the campaign and couldn't imagine going 26.2 miles.. All roads lead to Paris. We'll be there at the beginning of April!

TD - great cycling! Cycling seems to work very well, I'm really impressed with how well my fitness has been maintained, or even increased over the past month with my runs turning into rides - the 16 felt easy today. I was slower than usual as I wasn't confident in the calf being ok but I felt as though I could have gone further (didn't want to push my luck), and again the end I felt as though another 10 was deformed achirveable (although not today)

enjoy the the carbs people running tomorrow - looking forward to reading about some pbs, especially at silver stone , as long as the wind isn't too much!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - If I was averaging your pace on my LSR's these days I'd be happy. Well done getting back out after doing 14 in the morning. I've never done a double session in my life!

• Options

Great running folks and good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Skiing today has left me exhausted so I am going to turn tomorrow's LSR into a notsoLSR.

Chips at 17 miles ATM? Love it!

Great effort on the bike TD. Cycling is my weakest triathlon discipline. That and the swimming...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Mrning all. Some cracking runs from everyone. Just heading off to Steyning for the marathon. It's just started to rain image boo....

• Options
    Well done to everyone getting over injuries , I hope you can all stay fit enough to get to the start line in 5 weeks time

And good luck to everyone racing or LSRing today , be safe out there and remember, the prize, for most of us is Paris
  • Options

Not just for he Silverstone lot, but for everyone racing today http://youtu.be/CBIkcITE60Y

• Options

Hi All, 

ATM - Thanks so much for the messages and emails.  You really helped me.  image  I am looking forward to meeting you.  

Well yesterday I did a 19.31km run (12 miles), and felt amazing.  image  I could have kept going but thought nope I will leave it be and push it next weekend.  So next Saturday my plan is between 32-35km and see how I go image     The Saturday after that we will be in London so I am hoping to do a  22km which will be 2 x around the Hyde Park / Green Park / St James Park loop.   Then I think I should be right to taper.. can you anyone confirm with me this sounds ok? This is what i've done and what i'm planning: 

22 Feb: - 30km
    (2 x 7-8km runs during the week, 1 x 12km and 1 x 5km run) 
    1 Mar:- 20km
    8 Mar:- 35km
    15 Mar: 22km
    22 Mar: 14km 
    29 Mar: 10km 
    (2 x 5km during the week), lots of walking around Paris for the few days beforehand but slowly and not pushing it.  
    6 Apr:  42.2km!! 

I had a lovely breakfast with some colleagues and friends today as a few are going away tomorrow for 2 weeks (so we will miss them before we go off).  They were lovely and gave me a necklace with an eiffel tour charm. They have been great support to me at work when I had to duck out to head to the gym or go for a run, and I felt quite special. image  

• Options

Hey Rach, I'm a bit confused...you did a 19.31km run yesterday, and you're going to jump up to 32-35km next weekend? That's a giant leap in terms of distance.

Your next couple of weeks should include some long slow runs - the experts will be along shortly to advise on the best strategy - but your plan doesn't seem to have those built in.

How thoughtful of your colleagues and friends!

Planning on accompanying TD on his LSR on my bike in the sunshine today. It's the only way I can just about to keep up with him. image

Thanks Kaz - it was a surprisingly large loss after making a comforting return to calorie counting. No starvation, just concerted effort to make sensible restrictions and keep control. Calorie intake was around 1600 - 1700, so still a bit of room to trim it down a bit more. I would say that I noticed the lack of fuel in my attempted speed work on Wednesday, so I added extra food on Thursday.

Feels very good to have routine and control back after such a long period of uncertainty in my life.

• Options

Ok TinkerBel. I know really that you wouldn't be stupid - not all are like me!! I am back calorie counting too, eating every 3 hours without fail in a bid to make me eat stop illness  Etc. Its going to take time. 

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Good running/cycling everyone.I went for a deep tissue massage on my injured leg yesterday.Ouch!! It was an hour of pure torture,I'm still feeling a discomfort from it today.

Still keeping my fitness up a bit.I managed 2 x 5 miles runs and a 22mile/2:05 bike run aswell.Going to try build up to a 3 hour cycle by Thursday.Im working away in dundee again this week and it has an excellent cycle route that's 26 mile round the city.

Still looking very unlikely I'll make the start line due to not having really run since end of January.Thought the strap may have seen me round but after a not so good experience with it last week I've lost confidence.

How is the support group for paris looking now?
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Best of luck to all those running at Silverstone today. Weather looks perfect.  Remember that the prize is achieving your goals in Paris in a few weeks time but if you are able to pick up a PB along the way go for it.

I raced 20k at Eton Dorney yesterday. Pleased with the progress. Average pace was just under 7:30 min/mile. Legs a bit tired today. 6 weeks to London for me. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jokeybhoy, it ain't over 'til it's over... Hang in there.

* And if you DO end up in the Supporters' Group. there's a tartan tutu with your name on it.So far, only Running Rodent has the right to wear  this particular item from the Dressing Up Box...image

• Options

And How don't me and mine qualify ATM?? ( tartan tutu hat is??)

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image cos you'll be running, kaz...

• Options

Not yet Atm.....no medical certificate yet, and things are not in my favour either. image

• Options

Had to grind out the LSR today. Even before I started I was at peak fatigue in my running 'career'. Now, it's off the charts. Lots of encouragement from TinkerBEL helped get me round. Now for an afternoon of mainly doing nothing. I'd planned to be really cultural and go and watch one of the fabulous Carnivale Parades but really, am too tired to go back on my feet and have fun. Looking forward to race reports later.

• Options
    Quick race report from me

Ronhill 10km Down By The River Race in Glasgow

First 10km race in over 18 months ( weird I know ) after all the park runs I've done I knew the speed was there but wasnt sure whether to treat it as long 5km or a short half , in the end treated it as a 5km and just went for it

End result =new PB, no injuries and after last weeks death march LSR ,belief I can get that sub 4 after a good taper
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    ATM:that's been more encouragement for me to try make the start line