Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

KeyserSuze - it opens next Monday BUT in the meantime check that you can get onto the ASO Challenges website, as you register via there. Also, get your mates pre registered with ASO to speed things up

Ciaran - you'll want to do this too

Linky thing.

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

Mausy - you are flying! what's TD been giving you, I want some!  On seconds thoughts, I don't.

You have nothing to worry about Dannirr - all I offer is constant encouragement and praise.  And sometimes this applies to her running too.

As you do all of us, TD.  And I am grateful for it.

• Options

He hasn't done me, I can assure you.  I'd have remembered.  I hope....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

......we're going to end up with a BOATLOAD of alcohol.

mmm I don't think so image

• Options

Just sorting out supplies for the Stour Valley Ultra at the weekend (volunteering, not running). I've been sending out shopping lists to my team - there's going to be a banana and jelly baby famine in South London this week image.

• Options

RR..  Sainsburys jelly beans are much better than Waitrose....  image

• Options

Some advice needed --- Can't remember if you have to use a credit card to pay for the marathon or if it gives you the option to use a debit card !!, I don't have a credit card just now , should I reapply for one ? 

• Options

Its just visa or MasterCard I think Scotto so Visa Debit should be fine

• Options

Thanks jimbob that's what I thought 

• Options

Hi Ciaran

Pic from yesterday in full Yer Maj hell hath no fury battle pose image

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Bacchus.jpg

• Options

Good attempt at the "maj" weedy but still not as funny as the real thing image

• Options

No wonder he's running scared! Batgirl is chasing him...although she does look a bit squiffy...

• Options

Well it's back to auld claes and porridge .... no more running clothes and errr porridge.  What a cracking weekend, 2 PBs on consecutive days.  Although we all know why  image   First ever Parkrun and first in my age group.  That's the not quite ancient ladies group.  Refuelling with traybake, ginger beer then haggis, neeps & tatties.  Then trains, ferries and buses (I'd done the plane bit earlier) to run round an island listening to the waves and rain coming down.  Pre race snack of Nardini's vanilla & chocolate milkshake (you can tell it's all about the food with me).  Loved seeing Helterskelter picking off people as she moved up the field before she disappeared on the horizon, or was it the next corner?  The BCRC cheerleading at the finish was so impressive that I stopped and forgot to cross the line (where was the line anyway?).  Race went ok, felt myself slowing down from mile 6 and really could have done with windscreen wipers for my glasses but gave myself a stern talking to at mile 7 and tried to find some oomph.  Pleased to come 6th in my age group, 5 places behind a very speedy Running Rodent.  Considering it was very much a club event I think we all did exceedingly well.  We certainly made our mark, visibly and vocally.  Thanks to RR for the finish line champagne, Eggy for the scenic drive through deepest, darkest Ayshire, and a special huge shout out to ATM for organising the most wonderful weekend.  Can we do it all again next year?  image

• Options

I think we should bestow Weedy with honorary membership of The Caledonia Massive?

Welcome aboard Ciaran. Pulling the emergency chain won't stop the train I'm afraid. And the doors are locked. Be there are no windows. 

• Options

Great report TP. I'll try and join you next year.

• Options

Sounds like a cracking weekend TP! 

Keep thinking I am going to have to bring my move to civiliation closer........ I will negotiate......any good recommendations for bribary???image

• Options

In the meantime what about the Kirkwall Half Marathon??? Its usually about the second last weekend in August.....

I am sure between our two houses we can accomodate people.......I may have to clean BF's house in your honor(sure he would be delighted!image) second thoughts he can have all the children, I will have the grown ups!! image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

He hasn't done me, I can assure you.  I'd have remembered.  I hope....

Trust me. You'd remember.

• Options

Great running all around at the weekend. Love the photo Weedy.

Back to IoM for one night tonight and then back over to the UK to spend a bit more time with my parents.

Looking forward to registration next week. Doubtful much running will happen this week but maybe life will start to look a little more normal next week. Huh. Who am I kidding?

How are the Berliners feeling?

• Options

Kaz - we'll charter a longboat and stage a Viking invasion.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

No wonder he's running scared! Batgirl is chasing him...although she does look a bit squiffy...

Coming into one of the aid stations, a scout starting singing the batman theme tune and shouting: BATGIRL! I loved it.

Simon MacPorkPie wrote (see)

Welcome aboard Ciaran. Pulling the emergency chain won't stop the train I'm afraid. And the doors are locked. Be there are no windows. 

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Kaz - we'll charter a longboat and stage a Viking invasion.

Ooh- I like the sound of that!

Everyone loved Weedy this weekend... and as a true gentleman when one of the girls got 'tired' (read: drunk) he even carried her. What you can just see is Pirate and batgirl (moi) laughing so hard that I got a stitch!

/members/images/334358/Gallery/weedy.jpg

• Options

Like your style Weedy.  I trust you'd hit her over the head with a club first?

• Options

He knows how to treat a good woman...

• Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

How are the Berliners feeling?

Ich bin ein Berliner.

I'm feeling chilled about the whole thing.  

Training has been poor - started badly and steadily tailed off since.  Seem to be running about once a week at the moment, but the 23.25 miles I did a fortnight ago showed I have a bit of stamina at least - though no intervals, hills or LT runs in well over a year!

However, after injury and other changes I'll be very happy simply to finish.

Looking forwards to Paris.  Hoping that will be the race I'd wanted Berlin (or the DNSs at Paris this year or Amsterdam last year ) to be, but injuries can sometimes be slow.

Joining a new running club tonight and loosely considering how I can get a grip on health and fitness over the next 3 months to give me the best shot at Paris, plus been dabbling in running in Vivobarefoot shoes.

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Great photo Weedy, looks like a fun race.

In my last couple of 10k runs I'm finding it a real mind battle. I have managed to push on and complete the races in times that I'm extremely pleased with but just wondered if other people getting stupid thoughts of giving up for no reason.

Would hate to get these thoughts in a race longer than 10k as might struggle to persuade myself to keep going if there is a long way to go!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Rob - hopefully the new running club will add some jazz to your running.

DV - I may have missed it but how did your counties run go?

TrevO: Welcome to the club. We all get them. What makes you want to quit? Are you running too many races close together? do you not enjoy them? I always find if you can find the reason why you're struggling - you can overcome it!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

CLR - I have found running with a club really helps in terms of motivation. The club I'm with is fairly relaxed and not too competitive with everyone really supportive which is great.

Emmy - Really enjoying them and definitely not doing too many races. Can't put my finger on it. Seems to happen in the first couple of miles when I'm trying to settle in to a pace. My fitness seems to be at the level I need to achieve my current goals hence the improvements in my 10k pb.

• Options

That's what I'm hoping Emmy/Trev - a bit of a shot in the arm!

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)

KeyserSuze - it opens next Monday BUT in the meantime check that you can get onto the ASO Challenges website, as you register via there. Also, get your mates pre registered with ASO to speed things up

Linky thing.

Excellent point Orbutt, thanks for the reminder. I'll get on it with the others too. 

ATM wrote (see)

Honestly, we've bought about eight bottles of spirits, two crates of lager, 65 bottles of wine/prosecco and six kegs of ale. And 6 hours to drink it between around 70 people. As long as the wine, ale and lager goes that's fine, we can foist the spirits onto departing friends and family. 

On that note, we sorted it out yesterday. I spoke to the woman (the one who'd started the furore and who seemed to be keenest to get the bar profits in place) and explained that no option where our guests pay for drinks is acceptable to us. I gave them three options: self serve, manned bar with donation jar, manned bar and we chuck them £100 for half of their costs. They went for option 2. Compromise indeed. If everyone there pays £2 over the course of the night they'll easily cover costs. Phew! Just sent them a mammoth e-mail detailing what's happening on Friday, Saturday and Sunday minute by minute - what we want them to do/provide and what we're going to do/provide. Lesson learned though - no point pussy footing around.

Orbutt wrote (see)

Linky thing.

ATM wrote (see)

TrevO wrote (see)

Great photo Weedy, looks like a fun race.

In my last couple of 10k runs I'm finding it a real mind battle. I have managed to push on and complete the races in times that I'm extremely pleased with but just wondered if other people getting stupid thoughts of giving up for no reason.

Would hate to get these thoughts in a race longer than 10k as might struggle to persuade myself to keep going if there is a long way to go!

I find that running goes in cycles (no pun intended). I always do it but sometimes I want to stop and sometimes I can go on forever. I had a really tough month after Glastonbury, and then a fantastic 8 weeks where I was flying. This culminated in Saturday's parkrun PB (did I mention I got a PB on

• Options

blimey this thread is hard to keep up with... short of breath already.

I'm a berliner too... target time has been put on the backburner until paris now but still hoping for a sneaky pb (only 2nd marathon)

TrevO don't worry we all get these feelings and well done on the pb's. I find i get them when i am using the races to build up for something else... it allows me to doubt and say "well, its still only a warm-up run so it doesn't matter if i pull out" If your running pb pace and that race isn't your sole focus then it is harder as you are so close to your limit. Also if you are stressed about other things not running related it can have an impact.  The important thing is you did it.

That picture has left me jealous of weedy...