Options

Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Alas No Dannirr - they were offering to put in any time you wanted

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    MM - thats absurd. But people do strange stuff. Shortcuts etc. In the end, they cheat themselves. I'm not a medal showoff kinda person, but I do know I earned each one honestly. Thats plenty good enough for me, and I'm sure all of us here
  • Options

Can't think of anybody in America that would lie about their marathon time........except for the bloke standing as vice president. image

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/01/paul-ryan-marathon-time_n_1848715.html

I have to admit to wearing a t-shirt I never earned properly.  Last year I did a bit of race crew work for a couple of friends doing an ultra marathon.  As I had hours of spare time to kill I helped out at a couple of checkpoints giving out bags, filling drink bottles and general wombling duties while I waited for my pair to arrive.  When I got to the finish I was rewarded for my endevours and doing the full course distance in a little red corsa with the same finishers t-shirt as the folk that ran the race much to the disgust of my pair who had just gone 40 odd miles on foot.  Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat and that running or driving ultras gives the same final rewards lol image

Gazza thanks again for the info.  I thought when I read the blurb about the entries to the race and the ballot that it would be like new york where your chances of getting in are slim if you apply in america and next to non-existant if you apply from overseas.  I think it is certainly worth holding on until after the ballot before I look at the tour options and dust off the cork hat and inflatable kangaroo to pretend I'm an aussie!!!! image  I've heard that Japan can be a bit pricey but it can't be any worse than Australia where I went the year before last to see big sis.  (A) my sis is expensive anyway and (B) everything was a rediculous price.  The one benefit of travelling on my own is that tables for one in poncy restaurants and heavy drinking sessions/nightclubbing on my jack jones are never high on the agenda.  Once you take copious amounts of booze out of equation the amount of money you need for the spending money kitty goes down pretty quickly. image

slowfoot what were you wasting a tenner on melon for?  Could you not find any cakes or chocolate.  Not much danger of a scotsman spending that on fruit in a year never mind a single sitting. imageimage

Thanks JPatko for doing my maths better for me.  I think I must have been going square eyed looking at 180 pages of results and missed a few folk although I think I removed a couple of folk myself from my count as they were so ludicously fast I thought they must have cheated or been on hand bikes (or both!!!!) image

• Options

I think driving an ultra is the way forward C33 image Not sure about getting the same shirt though - shocking, lol, .......I helped out at ironman uk and we all got tees, but they were different to the competitors, so i can wear with pride (except the fact it's the brightest of bright greens!!!)

You're welcome fer the maths Michael, it did take me ages to do it, cross referencing numbers from each race, theraputic I think they call it (or a sign of going mad?) image .....I didn't include any of the wheelchairs or handbikes (sorry if you were 1 of those) but I think 45mins for a HM is a bit of a silly speed to be going and fastest marathon hand-bike was 1:35!! wow... well done, but not in my charts image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well, with respect to driving an ultra....

In November last year I raced an utra runner from London to Brighton.  He left Hyde Park at 1 am, I left at 7.30 am.  He was on foot, I wasn't - I was driving a 1902 Delahaye single-cylinder motor car. Yes, the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.  It's a 60 mile course - and I only caught him 1 mile from the finish!   Remarkable running from Duncan - you might have seen it on the news or in the papers.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20197268

Duncan is the only person in the history of the event - which has been going since 1896 - to receive a finisher's medal without driving a car!

• Options

THERE IS AN OFFICIAL DOPEY CHALLENGE FOR 2014!!! 10K, HALF AND FULL!!!

After saying I wouldn't be doing Goofy again in 2014 - I HAVE TO DO THE FIRST DOPEY!!!image

• Options
    More info needed......

Do you get a dopey and a goofy medal or just a dopey. Are there 5 bits of proper bling on offer. This is just cruel. I had ticked goofy off my list before dopey got in on the act. image
  • Options

5K on Thursday, 10K on Friday, half on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday.

6 medals on offer - 5K, 10K, half, full, Goofy and Dopey apparently!image

• Options
    Any news on who will be running this 10k. I've just asked my minnie who came home with me after the goofy challenge about it and she knows nothing about it. She just keeps flapping her mits about in a theatrical manner.

This is upsetting our plans we were thinking going to tokyo, running there and meeting up with minnie's friends and family when we were there but she might be expected back in florida at the same time. Life never runs smoothly!!!
  • Options

image I've missed your posts on here since January - they always made/make me smile. image

• Options

Howdy doody everyone.. Quite exciting news isnt it! 

I would just laugh if someone suggested this for a race series in this country but - its Disney so its all LALALA not real !

Seriously though, surely for the price you must get the 5 medals and 5 tech shirts ?  Will need a spare room for the Disney running tops this rate LOL 

• Options

I haven't been able to settle back into work properly since I heard the news! It took some time to accept that we shouldn't/couldn't do the 2014 Goofy as my eldest shouldn't be taken out of high school - but just as we had accepted it they come up with an official Dopey - with a 10K in it!

Ever since then I have been should we/shouldn't we -ing and researching flights and Disney accommodation!!!

My 2 can do the 10K too as the age limit is 10 years old - which is another reason to go for it (or maybe we would be accused of child cruelty???!!!).image But they want to do it!image

MM - I assume you will go for the Dopey?image

• Options

I only heard about this last year and immediately started planning on doing the Goofy in 2015. I havent run a Marathon yet and have only completed one HM (souvenir of which is my Avatar pic!!)  The Dopey sounds even better but my wife has just told me that as our son will be in Year 10 we wont be granted holiday for him.  Seems a shame to go without him image

• Options
    GG it's in the lap of the nhs at the moment as my hubby has a bad back and been warned not to run til its more stable (very dodgy disc) I wouldn't do it without him but if we can go it will be the dopey we will be aiming for. It's hard to ge sensible with such excitement around isnt it but we will both have to be !!
  • Options
    Rich. I've never done a marathon without it being part of the goofy. You will be fine with training for the next one - now leaving your son behind and getting away with it is another matter !!!
  • Options

Rich - our high school is the same - absolutely no holiday granted for Year 10 and 11. Up to then it is frowned upon but not totally banned, so we could do it as ours would be in Year 8 - but I wouldn't feel comfortable about it.image

If you started training now, you would be fine for the 2014 Goofy/Dopey if you could organise things for then? Then your son would be in Year 9 and not totally banned from going? Just a thought.

MM - yes, it's very difficult to be sensible when you have such a good time over there - so tempting.image Hope your hubby's back improves quickly.

• Options
    We've never taken the kids out during term time for holidays before but we are this year. We're going to LA to see my brother and his kids and we've not been since the wedding 5 years ago. We're also doing Disney in LA so are taking 3 weeks. This will rule out 2014 unfortunately so I don't know what we will do. The kids want to do Disney in Florida and it would be nice to do it at an age where they will appreciate it more. This seemed like the perfect combination to get some guilt free running in and they wanted to do the 5k also. Back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    What do you mean you have to do it at an age the kids will appreciate it. I'm 34 and appreciated it. Disney is wasted on the young lol image

I have had a wee search around and the feeling is you will get 4 medals and 4 t-shirts. No Goofy medal and no goofy t-shirt image

Just as a thought should the goofy challenge be upgraded to the really goofy challenge and the dopey challenge becomes the goofy challenge to keep the goofy medal being the holy grail and the perfect goofy runners could run the new race and keep their perfect goofy status. It would seem a shame for some of those runners not to be able to run the dopey because they wouldn't get a goofy medal to add to their collections.

As one last point is anybody getting worried about the workload that is about to be dumped on the 7 dwarfs. Not only is dopey going to have to take over goofy's workload in the running capacity but they also have a new mine opening at the magic kingdom. They are all old blokes by the look of their white hair and beards and I'm a bit worried that they should be enjoying their retirements rather than working 24:7 on races and going back out with their picks to work work work work work work work the whole day through. I doubt snow white will ever see them image
  • Options
    4 races 6 medals including one from my Minnie!!!!!!!

How awesome does that sound. Japan has just started to look a teency weency bit less appealing!!!!!
  • Options
    My minnie is sooooooo excited to have her own race image

I know it is ludicrous to even contemplate doing it but I'm kind of pleased there is a different challenge to go back to. My run in january was magical and its highly unlikely I would ever match or better it. With 4 runs in the equation there is no way to compare what I've done before with what I will do again. The challenge is just getting round as best I can.

Trying to resist next year but never say never for the year afterimage
  • Options
    Hi ho hi ho its off to work I go. I'll work and sing till I get that bling hi ho hi ho hi ho hi ho....... image
  • Options

image C33 - I'm wondering if the Dopey will be a one-off for 2014. 2015 is the Goofy 10 year anniversary and I don't think they would want the Dopey to detract from the Goofy in that year???

• Options
    After the initial hysteria has worn off I'm now wondering how much more expensive this will make it. We normally just go for 6 nights but will probably need a couple more if we do all four events. Presumably we will heed to be there for packet pick up on Wednesday - it's going to be rammed unless they open the expo on Tuesday.
  • Options
    I was thinking that too minnie. Its going to cost a good few pennies extra. I just flew out from glasgow via gatwick on the thursday and had next to no chance of getting to the expo in time to run the 5k on friday morning. That would mean we having to head out on the tuesday morning instead. Probably 8 nights rather than the 6 I had this time (I'd still want some playtime afterwards lol). That plus the extra race entry and its getting a bit pricey. On the upside I won't have to buy any t-shirts for years afterwards. image. Think I will have to start saving my disney dollars unfortunately most of the ones I still really want to run are a long haul rather than ryanair/sleezyjet flight away. This could get VERY expensive or take a good few years to tick them off. image
  • Options

Tesco Mastercard, put all your expenses on there, get Virgin Airmiles with the Clubcard points = free Virgin flights to Disney!image

• Options

C33 - you're a young buck you have plenty of time to tick them all off image 

GG -I'd totally forgotten my Virgin points... Off now to check the balance !

• Options
    I know there is time minnie. I'm just impatient lol

Hi ho hi ho its off to shop I go. I'll spend real hard with my clubcard hi ho hi ho hi ho hi ho image
  • Options

I found this thread last October, and have been lurking ever since.

You have inspired me back into training.  Originally for the Goofy and now for the Dopey image

I thought I'd join in to say that you can actually use Tesco clubcard points on Virginholidays.co.uk too, not just airmiles.  My old vouchers should make a nice big dent in the cost of lovely Florida trip.

Now just need to make sure I get a ticket.  I have no doubt the inclusion of the Minnie 10K and Dopey will make it a LOT more popular.

• Options

Hi Bullit. Glad you've joined in - and brilliant that you're going for the Dopey!image You have probably noticed that I (and a few others) get very excited about the Disney races so this should tell you that you will have a fantastic time over there!image

• Options

HI Bullit - welcome to the house of mouse