Options

Dog attack - getting my confidence back

Comments

• Options

I'm not a dog lover, far from it, but I'm only rarely troubled where I run (famous last words!) as I see most of the owners regularly. I usually try to call out to the owners as I approach something along the lines of, ''is it safe to run past ?'' Slow down or walk if you get no reply.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Duck Girl wrote (see)
    Thank you. I will try to get myself out tomorrow morning, on a different route.

I don't think the dog was actually trying to hurt me, it was just jumping up on me and barking, and usually when dogs do that I just think it is a bit of a nuisance. But this was an ENORMOUS Great Dane type dog, with its paws on my shoulders it was taller than me, and nearly pushed me over. I didn't fancy it 'playing' with me on the ground.

The scariest bit was the owner though - she didn't try to call the dog off or anything, just stood there watching, and when I shouted 'ARGH HELP GET OFF BAD DOG' she called me 'f*cking mental' and swore at me for several minutes, and when I said 'Put your dog on a lead' she said 'F*ck off, my dog could bite you and chase you and kill you'.

If the owner had said sorry and put her dog straight on a lead, I would leave it. But since she was so nasty, I took a photo of the owner and the dog, I think I will send that to the police, in case anyone else reports it.

From that, it's either a bit of a overreaction and drama from you, or you've just come across a real scumbag.

If it's the latter, go and report them, see if they're quite so smug when their dog is being hauled off!

• Options
    It turns out the dog is not a Great Dane, it is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are bred to hunt lions - I don't feel so bad about being nervous of it now!
  • Options

I'd rather take on a great dane than a Ridgeback. They're like bears.

• Options

They can be big dogs, quite a lot of variation between a small bitch and a big male ridgeback - typically a little bit bigger than a weimeraner though and they are pretty big  themselves.   Either way an adult ridgeback is powerful enough to do anyone a lot of damage and if you are a smallish, wearing running kit and not used to big dogs one running at you is going to be frightening.   

• Options
    This one was more than big enough to knock me over! But I went running today with a friend and didn't see the dog or the even scarier owner, so I am feeling better now.
  • Options

that's excellent news on all counts Duck. well done image

• Options

I don't think the point is whether it was a great Dane or a Ridgeback- both are large dogs, and both need controlled- the next person attacked could be a small child- and real physical harm could result.

I am wimpish around dogs when running, and if the owners let them run at me I stop, stand still, and shout at the owner to get their dog off.I have never been bitten, although I am regularly a bit scared during a run- I tend to have to sprint for a while after to burn off the adrenaline!

Taking a picture if you see her again is a good idea, but best idea is to avoid another confrontation. Good luck.

• Options

there is a principle of law that you must take your victim as you find them.

that is, if the person who feels threatened is of generally nervous disposition and is prone to panic that is of no defence. it is how the person perceives the threat that is important not the objective nature of the threat.

it therefore matters not whether you think that a passer-by is being a wimp. if the passer-by feels threatened that is sufficient for you to commit an offence and no amount of arguing that the complainant is a wimp will make any difference.

keep your dogs on a lead in public places not because they're a threat but because they're scary to people who don't know how those dogs are going to react.

• Options

Ridgebacks aren't an aggressive dog many years ago their breed was mixed to develop the ridge that mimics a lion and of course their colour . I am a runner and a dog lover , sometimes I feel we need to remember that we are the species who can walk on their hind legs a dog is a fantastic loyal animal who loves you but it's up to you to control it. I own a giant breed St Bernard she is 16 stone , if I invite her to jump up on me (which ain't often) she is close to a foot taller and I'm 6ft2" but she is the softest kindest dog you would meet. Many times I have been asked and brought her to groups of people who fear dogs. I walk my dogs on/off lead depending where I am but I have total control , my dogs will not approach you unless I let them, they will never jump on you , when out running I love to see dogs (sometimes an excuse to slow down and talk) unfortunately there are a lot of people who have trophy dogs who can't control them and don't bother training them or in my experience are just assholes with an image issue, show me the man with an Akita,malemut,huskie,staffy, but if they had the right owner they are lovely dogs , Guys there are a lot of forums I just lurk and a lot of guys and girls on here I have learn't a lot from but dogs aren't our problem it's the people who own them

• Options

The law says that if a dog causes someone to be worried they might be injured then an offence has been committed.  Unfortunately many dog owners don't seem to realise this ("he's just being friendly").

To quote from DEFRA's guidance at http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13573-dogs-law-you-leaflet-080515.pdf

"Any dog is dangerously out of control if:

• it injures a person, or

• it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them.

The law applies everywhere the general public is allowed to go and anywhere your dog goes where it is not supposed to be. The maximum penalty for allowing a dog you own or are in charge of to be dangerously out of control is two years’ imprisonment, or a fine, or both."

• Options

that's right kaska and my point is that there's no account taken of how nervous of dogs the person being scared/worried is.

• Options

some people are worried that a dog will injure them  just because it is within 10 ft of them........the dog might be on a lead walking politely and not even look at the person the other side of the road but that person would still be worried as they have an irrational fear......

so i imagine that it is has been clarified at a later point as to what a reasonable person would be worried

• Options

OK well maybe it's a similar situation as to what happens when you commit a robbery with a toy gun.

In law it carries exactly the same weight as a robbery with a real gun. The victim isn't expected to know the difference.

• Options

Any dog that runs and barks at someone should be on a lead until they can be trained not to. Last week a dog barked and snarled at me and launched itself at the back of my legs as I ran past. For all I knew he could have been about to sink his teeth in. The owner didn't bat an eyelid. Owner should be made to take all reasonable steps to prevent this type of thing happening. 

Edit Just noticed I posted a version of this story last week tooimage

• Options

Im in the report it camp.  One thing you could buy is a Zapper.  Harmless but very effective.  We run alot off road and dogs tend to run loose in the orchards and woods where we run.  Most are fine as it's not their land and therefore are not trying to protect/guard it.. but some want to have a go.  A quick press of the zapper sees them turn on their tail and leg it!  The best effect I've had was a doberman in full charge mode skidding to a halt and then cocking it's head on one side before wandering off in a nonchalant sort of 'I'm not bothered by you anymore' sort of way!

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprises-Dazer-Ultrasonic-Dog-Deterrent/product-reviews/B001E0L5YA

• Options

i don't know why I bother. again, and happy to serve and volley legal qualifications if you like...

it's about the perception of the person feeling threatened and not what the objective risk is.

• Options

so if someone walking done a street felt threatened by a black guy just sitting on  a park bench eating his sandwiches then there is an offence........

even though the innocent guy was just enjoying his dinner.....

because the irrational fear of the person walking 

• Options

So trotting my learned friend. If someone has been savaged by a dog in their past and a dog by just running in their general direction is enough to terrify them, you are saying that could land someone in court? 

• Options

Hi Duck Girl, nice to know you're still active. Since we last crossed each others' paths my daughter has started and nearly finished a degree in York.

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

so if someone walking done a street felt threatened by a black guy just sitting on  a park bench eating his sandwiches then there is an offence........

even though the innocent guy was just enjoying his dinner.....

because the irrational fear of the person walking 

No. If a dog behaves in such a way that a person fears injury. 

• Options

What dog? There was a black guy eating a sandwhich.