Options

ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Options

Haha wait til you see the photos of the new leggings!! image

Finally got round to getting the thread up and running image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/target-262---first-timer-steves-journey-to-paris/235810.html

• Options
    Reg - The trick for christmas eve is to track santa on the internet! he moves so quick, I have never managed to get the kids home and into bed so quickly!

Thank you tigger, I'm on this, although i do like the calpol route.
  • Options
    seren nos yn canu wrote (see)

the only exception is the year Bud was a mentor and they forgot to tell him that part of that was to visit the forums daily giving out help and advice...........after a couple of crap weks they brought ina  replacement..........

a brilliant coach apparantley but not comfortable in the forum ....

That really was an awful start.  I felt sorry for USB for getting no mentoring, but I also felt sorry for Bud who clearly had no idea what was expected of him in the forums.  It all turned very vitriolic, which didn't help anyone.   Steve and Sam have been brilliant.  I've had a lot of great feedback from Sam, and she really took an interest in the runner's on the threads (not only the official Asics runners).   The Asics team were much more successful last year than the Lucozade teams of previous years, so they have a lot to live up to this year image.  It will be very interesting to see if the change of training plans is a good or a bad move.  
  • Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Can I have some advice please. I've just been on RW race predictor and using my 5k, 10k and half marathon times, they all predicts me a 4.05 marathon!  Should I look at training plans/pace with this goal in mind, I had been looking at 4.15?  thank youimage

• Options

jen.......they work better off a 1/2 marathon time and even then they can not be accurate as it depends on how the individual copes withe the long runs etc..........i would start with the 4:15......and then  adapt your training as you go along........try and get a few races in and see how you progress.........you can then adjust your paces and targets as you get closer to the date

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Thanks Seren, that sounds v sensible.

• Options
    jinglebellsjen wrote (see)

Can I have some advice please. I've just been on RW race predictor and using my 5k, 10k and half marathon times, they all predicts me a 4.05 marathon!  Should I look at training plans/pace with this goal in mind, I had been looking at 4.15?  thank youimage

Jen, try looking at Mcmillan running calculator (www.mcmillanrunning.com). The calculator is better than the one on RW, and most importantly you can put in your goal time, and it will tell you the optimum training paces required for different workouts (eg long run, tempo run etc) YOu can even download it onto your iphone to hekp the long winter evenings fly by.....

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

For all of us that lost out last week:

“Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.”–Lyndon Johnson

We can all be winners in our spring marathons!image

• Options
    DSanta2 wrote (see)

For all of us that lost out last week:

“Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.”–Lyndon Johnson

We can all be winners in our spring marathons!image

Very philosophical for this time of the day- you haven't been drinking have you?? image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

No - but perhaps I need one!

Have been looking at a computer screen all day. It is obviously getting to me!

Have you given any more thought to a spring marathon Clive? I think someone on the Sub 3:15 thread said the best way to a good autumn marathon is to run one in the spring???

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great Welsh Marathon still has places Cliveimage

You can join me and Jen...seren said she might be in too! Rumour has it there will be granola bars on free vendimage

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Thanks HC &M, I tried it this afternoon and it gave me very similar paces to those i'd planned.. so thats good!

Malcs/DS2/ Seren, granola bars are def available at GWM... I believe you can even pre-order your favourite fruit ones image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Right then people, now that the dust has settled from last week I thought it would be a good time to address this TR24 idea. (www.tr24.co.uk)

As you know I'm already entered into a team but I'm happy to organise one or more groups from here too. Hopefully we can arrange it so that we can all camp in the same area.

I'm posting here because this is where most of us who talked about this have been lurking. However, it's not just restricted to bootcampers, if anyone fancies it then you're more than welcome.

You'll find all the info on the TR24 site but here's a quick summary:

• It's on the weekend of 27/28th July 2013 in Catton Park, Derbyshire
    • The race comprises repeated laps of a cross country 10K course
    • It runs from 12 noon on the Saturday until 12 noon on the Sunday
    • Teams can be solo, pairs, 3-5 or 6-8.
    • Cost is £30-£50pp in a team (depends on team size) and £85 solo
    • Camping is free and there are proper loos, showers and catering on site
    • It's a totally amazing event
    • Running through the night with a head torch is something else

Those are the main bits but I'm happy to answer any questions you have. 

If you're up for it please say how many laps you want to attempt and roughly how long you reckon you'd take for that. As a guide it's an undulating course and has some tough sections.

Would be good if we could get this tied up before new year as places will be filling up.

Right, who's ready to put their money where their mouth is? image

• Options

Malcs, I'm keen for TR. Will do whatever, suppose it depends on team make up. are we going for mixed 6-8 teams of BC rejects??

• Options

DS- Might still do a spring marathon but its all a bit messy and stressful at work... Should be doing job application now instead of being on Forum image Probably a blessing didn't get picked....

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive, great!

It really depends on everyone's ambitions. If you had a mixed 8 running roughly an hour per lap then that's 3 laps each. If you go faster of course then there's more possibilities. Or we could have two teams of 6 with 4 laps each (roughly).

The team of 6-8 winners last year did 33 laps!

• Options

Thanks for the info Malcs! I need to get my arse in gear and actually get entered properly. Would be great to all catch up again! image

DS2 - Loving that quote!!

• Options
    ChristMalcs count me in. Do we have to do the laps in succession or can we do one, rest and then do another one? I reckon I would like to do about 3 laps.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Excellent!

RRR - you're already set up in a pair, correct? (nutter) 

Sarah - you can do it however you like, it's quite flexible. The only rule is that one person has to be on the course at all times and everyone needs to do at least 1 lap. Aside from that you can mix it how you like. 

Last year a couple of us tried doing double laps - never again for me!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Right come on then 17 hours have passed and not a sausage. I assume you're all researching the TR24?image

At the moment we only have the flying doctors. I think Steve said he was interesed before as did Tony. Anyone else? 

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    I have given the TR24 careful thought. I actually do think I'm too old/slow n boring on this occasion! I think I'd be a very weak link in a team. sorry image
  • Options

I looked but forced myself away as i have promised myself no ultras for a year

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Not at all Jen, doesn't matter how fast or slow you are. No pressure though.

No problem seren, thanks for considering it. 

Shame on me btw. I forgot Tigger - I'm sure she said she was up for it. Also Paul, can't remember what you said?

• Options
    I've just noticed this thread's hit 2000 posts, impressive. Had a busy few days so I'm completely out of the loop again image

Also the Physio's told me I've torn my meniscal cartilage in my knee and can't do any running which is a nice early Christmas present, also rules me out of going for the forum 6 place image if anyone's got any experience with this I'd be grateful for any advice/tips.

Still at least I can keep myself busy with the 58 hours I'm scheduled to work over the next 5 days, hoorah for retailimage I suspect I shall be going dark till Christmas Day after this evening.
  • Options

Grinchy - Just seen your post!! Argh! That sucks! Hope it gets sorted and heals up quickly!!

• Options
    Thanks Sarah, having never had an injury before I couldn't train through (and that includes things like cracked ribs and broken noses through taekwondo!) I feel a bit lost, I may have to move my marathon dreams for next year into the autumn season. This is a bit gutting as even out of the Target 26.2 process I'd hoped to share the journey, plus I'm probably going to put on at least a stone over Christmas now! Still, on the positive side it's a great excuse for doing very little on Christmas Day and I can spend some quality time with my boy... and his new toys image
  • Options
    Just checked out the website for the Thunder Run, looks awesome, what a great idea. I would definitely be up for a crack at that.
  • Options

grinchy... bad news.can you do swimming .. even if its with a pullbuoy to imobolise legs................and what about the belt things that let you aqua run........hope you heal quickly