Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Options

looks like ur going great guns James and all.

I feel training is going well at the mo. Did a 3x8mins session with the club tonight at threshold pace (supposed to be 10km to 10 mile pace). It's part of a series of sessions we've been doing on Tues nites as part of Spring mara prep. Last week it was 4x6mins and my speed is improving each week and it's feeling easier.

One thing I'm aware of is that I have a few social things coming up meaning I'm going to have to swop session around etc (dry Janauary is always good to train in as no one makes plans in jan!). This week I'm going to have to do long run on Saturday as I'm at Nordicana (an event on all things scandi tv and food). Then next week's it's a family meal for my boyfriend's mum's side of family so I'm doing long run on Friday (and may even have a drink on the Saturday night!). How do you all manage to fit in/rearrange sessions when necessary?

• Options

Going well James. I added you on connect last night - I am aiming for a similar goal at London this year! 

• Options

Agree that social situations can get in the way of training. Just back from a stag weekend to Amsterdam so missed this weekends long run, not to mention the 3 day hangover I'm still struggling with. Also got two weddings between now and Manchester, plus my wedding to organise which involves trips down to Cardiff.

• Options

Moring all, looks like I am the only one not gearing up for any parties! Apart from the 18m solo party on Sunday. Having young children seemed to put social situations on the backburner for a while.

First day in a long time I resorted to the turbo trainer for some leg stretching. the weather was grim this morning and couldn't face the thought of a cold and wet cycle to a from work.

Has been a crazy January and quite looking forward to a February starting. The training has been a bit of a saviour, I think the real test will be Sunday's lsr. If that goes well I am going to feel very positive about the targets that are in place.

Took a steady run out yesterday morning - 6m@8:30mm http://connect.garmin.com/activity/437597608

Hannay, good to connect on Garmin! Hoping your looking at a lsr on Sunday. Anyone else going for the 18m?

• Options

This weekend was supposed to be an lighter one but as am away next weekend, it's going to be a 16/17 miler! Enjoy!

• Options

I've got 12 this Sunday as i'm a couple of weeks behind you. Enjoy the 18! Looking forward to mine, and agree - it's a good target tester.

• Options

I have a cross country on sunday.  might bike there and back to make it a decent session./

will start my long runs on Monday i think......

• Options

I've been heavily focusing on the long run aspect of my training so this weekend will be my 3rd 17 miler since the new year.  always take them very easy but this weekend I will be upping the pace to a steady run.  definitely feel that my endurance has improved and I have the confidence that I will get past 21 miles without "collapsing". i'm just hoping now that the speed training I am now introducing will see my HM pace drop from 9:00mm to 8:30 - 50ish!!!  GOOD LUCK IN PARIS JAMES. image

• Options

18miles planned for the weekend at 9.30 - 9.45 min/m

• Options

Hiya James, hee hee even I'm going to a party at the weekend image Staying over in London after I do the Meet the Experts day for Virgin London Marathon on Saturday (us coaches don't get many weekends off!) Wise decision to hit the turbo I reckon.

Am feeling a bit better but still not fit for running yet. Hopefully by weekend... Keep up the good work!

• Options

Hi there James! I sympathise with you and I will be having a 16m solo party on Saturday which may leave me worn out for the rest of the weekend image So good luck!!!

Sam, great to read you are feeling better!!!

• Options

Looks like a few of us are going long this weekend. I am looking forward to it. I enjoyed the last long xc run which ended up just over 17m. I hope I can find a similar form for Sunday. How many more days left of January???? I have a great feeling about Feb!

• Options

Hi James

Do you know what your plan is for next week?  Am obviously excited to know what interval sessions of torture Sam has planned for you...and wish I am foolishly going to torture myself with!!

• Options

going for 18 miles on Saturday, thinking of doing 3 blocks of 6 miles ending with mara pace. could well end up crawling home we'll see!

• Options
    Evening Sophie,

This is the current plan for next week, I'm not sure if Sam plans to make any changes to it:

WEEK EIGHT (approx 26M)

Mon CYCLE

Tue 7M of 1M jog, then 6 x 800m a little faster than 10k pace (approx 3.25-3.35 per rep) with 2 min jog recoveries then 1M jog

Wed REST

Thu 7M: 2M easy, 3M at (7.20-7.30) threshold pace, 2 M easy

Fri Rest

Sat 4M easy

Sun 8M VERY EASY OFF ROAD
  • Options
    Rub salt into the wound, thanks Sam! I am sure all you super fit coaches must only be allowed one slim line g&t!
  • Options

Social life  for me involves anything that means "kids invited".  I hear you James!

Steve, I will try the below recipe this Sunday and feedback to you if they taste all right but too be honest I am not that concerned with the calories for you as by eating something more substantial in the afternoon should  mean better recovery over a 24 hour window & means you should naturally eat less at night - that is often what happens if you do not let yourself get very hungry... unless eating out of boredom etc

Ingredients

• 6 fl.oz. Rapeseed Oil
    • 4 oz Light Brown Sugar
    • 3 oz Golden Syrup
    • 12 oz Porridge Oats
    • 8oz 'Ready to Eat' dried figs, any stalks removed, then chopped
    • Juice and zest of 1 Orange

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4

Line an 8" x 12" shallow baking tin with baking paper.

Warm the sugar, syrup and rapeseed oil together in a large saucepan. Add the oats and mix thoroughly.
    Put the chopped figs with the orange juice and zest into a small pan and mix together over a low heat.

Spread half of the oat mixture in the base of the baking tin. Spread the fig and orange mixture on top of that. Cover with a layer of the remaining oat mixture. Mark into 16 pieces with a knife. Bake at for about 20-25 minutes, until golden on top. Mark the 16 pieces again with a knife, leave in the tin until cold then turn out and separate into flapjacks

Have a good weekend.

• Options

hope the long run went well james........I did a park run and got my faster=st time for nearly 3 years despite the mud.hope my legs still work tomorrow in the cross countryimageimage

• Options

Well done Seren always nice to get a PB when ever and at any age! 

Slow plod out tomorrow for me, (seven I think sounds nice, just ticking over) with the daughter and young bro in the morning looking like it might be dry for abit tomorrow................ Hope all you are running enjoy it.  Get well soon Sam. 

• Options

Afternoon all,

was as really pleased with the 18m today. Started of easy and built pace up progressively. Last few miles were on a downhill flat, for once that was some decent planning on my part!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/439416421

parts of South London were really busy today, I'm guessing everyone making the most of the strange glowing orb in the sky.

well done Seren, sounds like you had a stormer yesterday. How was the cross country today after that added pace yesterday?

Ruth, your first flap jack recipient has gone down a storm. Threw in some pumpkin and sunflower seeds for good measure. Race plan breakfast and nutrition seemed to work as treat today. Still eating flap jacks as I am typing now.image Social life. Ha. A fond but distant memory.

Ashley and James, how did your pacing strategies work out???

• Options

James - just been on your website. Love it! Have you got the mountain bike event planned yet? One of my new found sports. Love it but am a danger to myself so have left alone whilst training for Paris!

• Options

James looked at your garmin and that's a great run! as the sight of hills brings me out in a cold sweat that is really good running and I think your going to smash 4 hours !!

so happy to have done 18 miles@ 8:57m/m  pace.  mile 16 and 17 were tough into headwind but did usual and speeded up last mile. Farthest I have ever run in training!!

would ;like to know what people think is best for long run , out and back or loop?

• Options

Hi mcs! Good to see you on here - hope the running is all going fine? First outing for more than 10 days today - just did 20 minutes as still have rasping cough but it felt good and couldn't have timed it better - sunshine over south east London! (Was staying at mum's at weekend)

Great running, James! I'm going to look at weeks 8 and 9 together to ensure the build up to the half marathon is appropriate. Doing that in a mo... Glad you're 'enjoying' following James's schedule, Sophie image And well done on the parkrun success, Seren!

• Options

Right, I've made a couple of changes to this coming week - the reason being that the mileage for week 9 needed to be reduced to give James more recovery before the half marathon. So while week 8 is still a reduced mileage week, it's not quite as reduced as it was (!) but the miles added to week 8 are subtracted from week 9 (and the speed session for week 9 will be reduced in volume terms too)

Enjoy, people!

WEEK EIGHT (approx 29.5M) 

Mon CYCLE 
    Tue 7.5M consisting of 1M jog, then 3 x strides, then 6 x 800m a little faster than 10k pace (approx 3.25-3.35 per rep) with 2 min jog recoveries then 1M jog 
    Wed REST 
    Thu 7M: 2M easy, 3M at (7.20-7.30) threshold pace, 2 M easy 
    Fri 6M easy 
    Sat Rest 
    Sun 9M VERY EASY OFF ROAD (or at least mixed terrain)

• Options

James you are running so strong at the moment......

I should have had a MTB by now but its been delayed....hopefully in the next week...I think i might also be a danger to myself.......

cross country today went brilliantly....ran strong and beat a number of women i usually lose to.was 20th  out of 71 women so chuffed with that, especially as I had a tough weeks training.......first week over 40 miles run for a very long time and did 100 miles on the bike....

going to add the swimming into the mix from tomorrow......

ashley you are also storming on those long runs....so jealous .i can't get up to those paces without race adrenaline image

• Options

Ashley, well done on your longest run ever! Great stuff. I think mentally, it can be easier to do 'out and back' runs - especially when you go by time, not distance. With our monthly group long runs, we do a set time 'out and back'. say, 2 hours - so everyone turns at 1 hour, and then you have that nice feeling of knowing you're heading for home - and also that you'll come across some fellow runners along the way. But sometimes, it's good to do a loop - to feel you're actually 'going somewhere'! As ever, I think a balance is best image

• Options

I love the runs where i get dropped off 20 miles from home so that i always feel that I'm homeward bound.....usually do one of those each campaign....

• Options

James, Ashley, Seren - great runs.

I did 18 miles in 9.23 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/438773460

Ran around Richmond park for the first time. Felt really strong, although today I have some pain just below the knee on my shins, which is tender to touch. Slightly worrying. Going for a swim tomorrow so hopefully it's a minor set back that just needs rest and not something more serious.

James - have signed up for 'Race your pace half marathon' - think that's the one you're doing. Was going to race Reading half but didn't sign up in time. Looking to follow your plans for the next couple of weeks, only at slightly lower paces.

• Options
    James Carroll 78 wrote (see)

James - just been on your website. Love it! Have you got the mountain bike event planned yet? One of my new found sports. Love it but am a danger to myself so have left alone whilst training for Paris!

Thanks James. Not yet, plan is to get in to cycling after the marathon, when the weather should be a bit better. Hopefully going to complete a triathlon (just sprint for now) this summer as well.
    Do you know any good entry level mountain bike events?

• Options

Great 18 miler James.  I ran 16.2 yesterday afternoon in between huge episodes of painting our house.  Feeling a bit knackered today!

Thanks for the plan Sam, looking forward to tomorrow's intervals!image