Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Carter. That run looks painful. That is all.

• Options

Hi Ali, Seems like you are getting back into things now you have settled in at Glasgow?

Hi Carter, First time I had seen Kasabian, and a very good gig indeed. A lot of flying drinks going around. A couple even coming into our box! Not quite liking the sound of your evening runs, and certainly not the elevation! Think I'll stick to my morning runs...

Hi Canter, Well done on getting into the RW Asics day. Do they select the final ones on that day? Fingers crossed for you matie image

Hi PS, We are here to embarrass our children, that is our object in life...or so mine think anyway....I do it well image

I ran 5 miles yesterday at 7:13mm average and rest today. Going to try and get out tomorrow morning, not sure what to run yet...

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Canter - Congrats. I also applied to cheer myself up but sadly did not get any call.

I have half an idea of what goes on as I started on this forum after applying for asics262 back in 2012 and then rw forum 6 and the rest is history. 

I am just popping out for a run and will be back on later and will download what I think will happen on the day.image

• Options

Cheers Carl - that would be much appreciated. Go raibh maith agat.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ok my run yesterday.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/HH_221114.jpg

6 miles in total. Not the easiest of runs to ease myself back in and 6 miles was enough.

8:28 ; 8:59 ; 8:38 ; 8:19 ; 8:34; 8:30

Average pace 8:34 min/mile.

There is no doubt that the base fitness is not quite there and although I can push out a decent enough run over a short distance I could not do this over 10 miles. So must focus on building up a decent base between now and the end of the year. 

What has been going on at work will be playing a part as it has left me mentally and emotionally knackered so I also need to recover from this.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So Canter the lowdown on bootcamp that I have picked up on the threads over the last year or two. 

Those who have been to bootcamp tend not to share with people on the threads other than say it is a great day and a really tough workout.

There are photographs, interviews, physio sessions, gait analysis and all that jazz.

There will be warm up and cool down sessions but then two key and different track sessions. These must be the ones that determine how they whittle it down from 50 to 3-4 runners per category. And they make this decision before teh public vote.

There is a pacing session with Sam Murphy and a 5K time trial with Steve Smythe.

Everyone says the 5K session is really tough and if you get it in the after lunch slot it will be harder. Just be wary of what you eat for lunch I guess.

The track session with Sam is all about checking your pacing and your consistency. She will have you doing intervals of different distances at different paces (I think without your watch) and she will be calling out your times part way through to see if you can adjust up or down depending on what is needed. So something like 400m at MP + 60 seconds, then MP + 30 seconds for 800m, then MP for 1600m. 

And of course you told them your MP that you were after in the application so it will all be related to that.

The 5k time trial with Steve is something that everyone seems to dread. Steve is a hard taskmaster and pushes everyone to their limits. He is apparently a very intense coach and comes across as stern.

This is not a 5k time trial like you would normally do. Burst off from the start, going as fast as you can and trying to hold on.

No. It is a much more controlled race against the clock.

It is 10 repeats of a 500m.

Each 500m is 400m at faster than 5k pace and then 100m recovery at a fast jog.

No ordinary 5k.

And the objective is to finish at about your usual 5k time. Again you have told them what this is.

So on the day, they are looking to see who has told them the truth about their race times, who can run at a consistent pace, who can listen to instructions and vary the pace accordingly.

Simple really.

The day by all accounts is a great experience and you will get loads of tips and make loads of friends.

After boot camp they down select from the 50 to a few people in each category. Clearly they have never failed so they will only be picking people for the public vote that they are confident will achieve the race goal of sub 3 / 3:30 / 4 / 4:30 etc.

Previously this used be dominated by people on the forums as the voting was restricted to those who were a member of the forums. Not anymore. Last year they introduced twitter and quite a few of the people selected were voted in by their twitter following.

Malcs got the forum vote last year and got the sub 3:30 category. I think he will be at bootcamp on Friday.

So best of luck with it. It will be one of those experiences you will never forget. And if you get selected you have my vote. image

• Options

Hi Carl, Yes unfortunately it is easy to loose the fitness, but once back into the swing of things again it should come back quickly...interesting advice on the Asics day, think you will be put through your paces there Canter image 

Out yesterday for 10 miles at 7:07mm average and out for 6 miles this morning at 7:14mm average. Foot was ok, just a bit of an ache just up to 2 miles and then loosened up and felt not too bad. I have a visit to the physio tomorrow so will get her to have a look....

• Options

Carter- brutal elevation... well done!!!

Canter- thanks for the tips on the 5 miler and well done on the Asics thing!  That sounds sooo great.  I have wished I went for it myself but at the same time... not enough time.

Carl- good info on the Asics day!  It sounds like, if nothing else, a pretty brutal training session?!

Nell- nice running from you... really decent runs, are you training for anything just now remind me?

I only ran 4 days this week as one day had a really sore knee so did a gym sesh and spinning instead.  It's still a tad niggly.  But tonight I did just over 9 miles- longest I've done in a couple of months so happy days image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - you are right. I had a pretty decent base up to mid September so if I can get a regular routine back in play it should come back. My plan (and I did not have one a few minutes ago) is to build back up to 25 mils very quickly with a mix of intervals / tempos and longer runs. Then between now and the end of the year I will increase the intensity a notch week on week.

So this should allow me through January to get up to the 35 - 40 miles per week in time for marathon training.

I am going to follow the Hansons method this time round as it seems to make some sense.

But next decision is which marathon to run. Do not want to go too early in April and maybe leaving it to the end of May might not be sensible either as I have Chicago in October.

Ali - 9 miles. Well done. 6 miles was enough for me yesterday. Not sure I have seen 9 miles in a few months !!

• Options

Morning all.

Man flu has hit the Carter household and obviously it's worse for me than for anyone else ! Thankfully the worst of it is now over so I can get back to running again, my last run was Wednesday.

Day 1 of Manchester marathon training today starts, as per usual, with a rest day.....

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - sorry to hear about the manflu. Like the first day of training for Manchester. image

• Options

Carl - thanks for taking the time to put down all of that detail on the bootcamp. I have to admit after reading that the initial excitement have given way to a bit more of a feeling of trepidation. Gulp!

(I'll be lost without my watch to keep me in check)

Well done on getting out at the weekend - I reckon it'll take 3-4 weeks to get the feeling back that it's something a bit less than uncomfortable

PS- my lot try to keep me 'real' too with the speak. I only find out that complaining of being sick doesn't now mean what I thought it did! Apparently it's all banter!

Ali - for the use of the word 'brutal', I thank you image

and Nell, for the knowing wink, it's a big thanks to you too!

Carter - sorry to hear you've been laid low.

It's been a familiar tale here too. No running since Fri, and the last couple of runs last week were done with very heaving legs due to a culmination of the dreaded man flu.

Yesterday's race was abandoned (by me, not the organisers) as a DNS

Need to just take it easy in advance of Friday's activities. I hope this never having done a 5k is not going to come back and bite me!

Need to go and sort out logistics for a 150 mile trip and a 9am start

• Options

/members/images/436903/Gallery/Winter_series_race_2_0.png

Morning gang!

So here's the elevation from the race on Sunday - a reverse of the previous month's route. Another disappointing run as beaten again by that girl I beat every race last year and by a friend I've beaten in 5 of the previous 6 races. Trying not to dwell on it too much and remind myself that with my bad chest I just couldn't get enough air in to get up the hill well. If I had done better on that then the overall performance would have been much better.

BK I feel excited about the bootcamp for you! Easy to feel like that when you're not the one having to do it. I'm in the never having done a 5K camp too. I have a medal holder in our downstairs loo which has my PBs on it and the 5K one is sadly empty. Must do something about it but it scares me as a distance!

Carl you know you want to do Manchester! It's towards the end of April. Having said that, I still don't know it I'm doing there but I must in the meantime look at the possibilities of getting Chicago and/or NY places.

Nell how's your foot? I'm off to the podiatrist tomorrow but generally mine's not so bad it's stopping me doing anything but I fear it might when I up my mileage again.

6 miles steady followed by day 2 of my plankathon and some clams for my glutes this morning. Am weirdly starting to enjoy running in the dark. It takes me probably a mile to relax and decide that I'm not going to be dragged into a van and taken off to be chopped up into small bits and after that I'm loving the peace.

Ali - good work with the 9 miles. I've got the HM in 3 weeks and still haven't gone over 8 since the start of October. Must get a decent one in on Sunday. Slight hitch is that we have some friends over for dinner on Saturday night. Must stay off the wine!

Carl how are things at work?

• Options

Carl - recovered from your weekend run yet ?? Don't build back up too quickly mate, nice and easy does it.

Canter - get rid of that man flu for Friday so you can show them how it's done. How are you judging your paces without a watch ?

PS - glad you're enjoying running in the dark. Have you got yourself a headtorch so you can go off road too ?

Marathon training session 1 complete. Plan - 5 miles at my easy pace of 9:00mm. Actual - 5.1 miles at 9:11. This was done without my watch so not too bad. I learnt that it is extremely difficult to run when you can't breath due to man flu ! 

• Options

HI Ali, Nice 9 miles, good to see you are managing to get the miles in again. No, I am not training for anything at the moment, jusy trying to tick over.

Hi Carl, Yes,I think if you can get a good base over the winter you should be fine going into your plan. The advantage of training for the marathon at the end of May is that you can ease off for 2 months after the May marathon and then go into a 12 week plan for the October marathon. I find going into the summer training a lot easier than going into the winter training, due to not having as long off.

Hi carter, Right, man up now there is training to be done! image

HI Canter, Fingers crossed for the 5k. Like you I never really do these short distances. Maybe an overnight stay might help?

Hi PS, That is a shocking elevation, what were you thinking of??  image  Foot's getting there thanks

At the physio yesterday, she had a look at my foot and does not think it is PF. I thought it wasn't as the aching was just at the top of the arch of my foot. She thinks I may have stood on something during the intervals and not noticed at the time. Which could have been possible. she massaged the foot. Wow, I want a foot massage every time now! She advised to keep away from hill running and intervals for the next couple of weeks. When I asked about football she gave me one of those looks....that was enough image

6 miles this morning at 7:09mm average, I must admit the foot felt not too bad after the massage....

• Options

Carter I might just be brave enough to go out running around the streets at 5.45 am but there's absolutely no chance I'd be going off road in the dark! I don't do much proper off road running anyway - the most off road I get is along the river or the towpath and I'm not going to do that on my own in the dark.

Nell you are right that elevation is shocking. I've been debating how I'm going to cope with it better next time. Slight technical hitch is that the next time is the Sunday after Xmas when I very much doubt I will be at my finest! Glad to hear your foot is ok. I shall be boring you all with tales of my trip to the podiatrist tomorrow!

An hour's S&C workout in the kitchen for me this morning. Was down with the kidz with some MTV on for company when the 2 year old appeared demanding milk and Peppa Pig.

• Options

Nell - sorry, I'm trying to man up ! Glad to hear the foot is better, maybe you could get Mrs Nell to give you a foot massage each evening ??

PS - I thought you said you were buying some fell trainers ? You wouldn't need them to run along the river or canal. Unless I have completed made that up of course ! You should give off road running in the dark a go, it really is rather exhilarating, make sure you know the route you run though so you don't get lost ! How did you get on at the podiatrist ? Did you go because you are injured or is it just for maintenance purposes, in the same way as a sport massage ?

Marathon session number 2 done at lunchtime. It was meant to be 5 miles along the canal with 3 @ tempo pace. Due to the blocked nose and difficulty in breathing (see above re me manning up) I could only manage 2 of the 5 miles at tempo pace.

I have also started back with my stretches and rollering as the knee has been telling me recently that I should. That flippen roller doesn't half hurt when you haven't used it for a while.

• Options

Carter – for judging pace without the aid of a timepiece, in short I’m rubbish. A constant issue for me during this year’s London training plan was trying to control my pace, particularly on the LSRs. In the end I think that’s one of the things that cost me

Well done on getting that snotty run in at lunchtime.

Nell – the overnight stay is not really an option for me. I won’t get back home the night before until late in the evening so I’ve decided (and based on the non-frozen forecast) to set off at silly o’clock.

Good news on the foot. Does sound a bit too high up for PF, but best follow that non footie advisory!

PS – the only S&C I get to do in our kitchen is scrubbing the pans or the floor!

So this week so far has been about trying to keep recent ailments in check and trying to do my daily commutercise at a mixture of MP and MP +. I think at this stage the only thing that will save me come Friday is a rucksack with some bricks in the back to act as a handbrake.

• Options

You're right Carter I have bought some trail shoes and I used them for the very muddy off road race I did but they've not moved from outside the back door since! I just haven't got the confidence to go off road on my own in the dark or anywhere unlit really. I have a number of female friends who don't go out on their own at all in the dark and think I'm nuts doing it.

So, trip to the podiatrist last night. Spent 1 hr 15 mins there so had a very thorough check. It's not pf as I don't have the symptoms in the morning but my left leg is very rigid (the one I'm getting the sciatic type pain in and have the bad foot) and my right leg is very twisted so that my right foot turns out far too much. So pretty wonky. Good news is that I'm wearing the best trainers (this is by luck rather than judgment) in terms of heel cushioning but I'm having orthotics made to hopefully give my foot more support and he thinks I need a lot more physio to straighten me out. I'm a heel striker which doesn't help as that's where the worst pain is. He also says that running 5 times a week is too much for me (which is what I do when marathon training) and that I should do 4 longer sessions. How often do you lot all run per week? I got to see myself running as well which was interesting and now I know what I look like from the back! So I'll be £200 poorer for the orthotics and going back in 2 weeks.

BK are you getting excited about tomorrow now? I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm very impressed with your pan and floor scrubbing. I need you as my husband! Not that I ever scrub a floor we've got a cleaner thank the lord.

So 4 miles of sprint intervals this morning. Considerably slower than last week which I just don't get as last week I was poorly and this week I thought I was going well! Then did my day 4 of the plankathon and some clams. Started some crab walks but then the button (the two year old) was moaning at me so I abandoned and will have to do them later. Oh and I also attempted some tricep presses which were an epic fail (as the kidz say).

• Options

Canter - like you, I am rubbish at pacing without my watch. I spent all of Manchester earlier in the year looking at my watch after every mile. I had no idea if the mile I had just run was quicker or slower than the previous one. God bless Garmin ! Very best of luck tomorrow mate

PS - when marathon training I run 5 times one week and 4 the next and continue that throughout the plan. The 4 week run will be about 26 miles and the 5 runs per week is starting at 34 miles (this week) and will peak at 50-55 miles about 4/5 weeks from race day. I also will only do one speed session per week, and it's mainly a tempo session, I don't do many intervals, as doing any more tends to break me. I had to adopt this last time in order to protect my ITB and it worked well. The joys of being geriatric eh ??

• Options

Hi PS - yes getting nervous/excited about tomorrow. Forecast looks ok for travel, which will make for a less stressful start to the day. Got the itinerary for the day this morning - track session for my group is just before lunch (one of the other groups has it immediately after lunch -wow) 

Seems a comprehensive session last night with the trotter doctor - that ortho treatment doesn't come cheap - but you only have the one pair of feet

We have a cleaner, gardener, painter and decorator, electrician, washer upper and a taxi driver in our house - yours truly!

Cheers Carter - I'm working from home today, not planning on any running. If I can't pace by now another session is not going to make any difference.

One of the instructions for tomorrow is "wear kit without logos/other branding where possible", so the duct tape is out to cover over a few rival branding sins. No point in upsetting the sponsors  image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Canter - best of luck for tomorrow. We are all routing for you. Best advice I can give you is be yourself and enjoy the experience. Try and get a good nights sleep and just as well your track session is before lunch.

Consistent pacing has always been one of the things that I have not really been able to master yet. And trying to do it 'blind' would be a nightmare. Hopefully I am wrong and you will be able to have the watch for company. 

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

PS - thanks for all the concern and advice. Much appreciated. I am working my way through this nightmare and have taken advice along the way.  Am still in discussions. My OH has been very supportive and the kids have fortunately not asked too many questions about why Daddy has been around much more than previously. I think my 11 year old knows something is up but is smart enough not to ask questions.

Whatever happens over the next week or so, one thing I do know is that leopards do not change their spots so no doubt will be looking for a new job in the near future.

That was some 10k you ran at the weekend.

As you were not 100% it is no wonder that the incline took a fair bit out of you. So good to hear that you are not dwelling on it too much.

You are running Milton Keynes in a few weeks ?

I ran this last year. Not a bad HM. It was freezing cold the day I did it and wet as well.

If the start is in the same place be a tad careful. It started on a narrowish path in the park and runners spilled over onto the grass verges. Within the first 200m the path goes over a stream so while the path does not narrow the grass verges disappear. There are low bollards on either side of the path and at both ends of the 'bridge' and when running in  pack you cannot see them and they were not protected / covered either. Quite a few runners came / nearly came a cropper on these. 

Once through the first mile or so, the pack spreads out and the scenery is not too bad. One or two places that are a bit bleak.

The last few miles have some inclines (nothing like your 10k one mind you).

When I pulled out of Chicago I contemplated this one but do not have the level of fitness I would need to run 13.1 miles.

I will be doing Chicago next year so if you do get a place we might meet up there. image

• Options

Hi Canter, Good luck tomorrow and just wear your Asics kit...go say it, you haven't got any! image Best thing to do is go and enjoy the day, anything more is a bonus eh?

Hi PS, I don't like the advice from your podiatrist saying you run too much. Is he a runner? I run 6 days a week during marathon training. At the moment I am running every other day. If you are a heel striker just up your cadence. If you count your steps and aim to count 90 steps per one leg per minute, you will be running at 180 cadence per minute. You will probably find that will reduce your heel striking. Also could save you £200 a time on the orthotics. But I suppose he wouldn't give advice like that out as he wouldn't make £200 a time on orthotics. I was struggling a couple of years ago and after going away and taking time to adjust my running technique and realising that you need to work on your biomechanics with S&C did I finally find things clicking...sorry don't mean to get on the soap box, but some of these medical guys need to get in the real world before they start opening their mouth.....rant over image

Hi Carter, Funny I did mention the foot massage to the OH and she told me to go and get my golf ball! Good to see the cold not holding you back from your training and I second the God Bless Garmin! image

7 miles this morning from me and the foot felt pretty good. I must admit that foot massage has really seemed to have done the trick. Not pushing it just yet though. Ran 7 miles at average 7:08mm.. no running events going on up here, it's pretty dead unless I drive to Peterhead and Join Ali!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I see we have gathered another new member.

Welcome Washwood.

We are a friendly bunch here and have quite a range of abilities. But we are all here to help.

Carter and I have been here from the start (nearly 2 years ago now) and others have come and gone. But the bunch on here now has been pretty constant for most of this year.

So don't be shy and feel free to join in.image

• Options

Canter - 'working from home' eh  image

Carl - when you say 'looking for a new job in the near future' is that going to be your choice or are you expecting to be summoned to your boss' office ? I'm assuming you're not putting in the ridiculous hours any more ? Are you getting much running in now ?

Nell - 'not' pushing it at 7:08 miles is rather impressive still. Maybe get yourself on to the trails to mix things up a bit ?

An easy 4.7 miles at lunchtime for me. I say easy but I started feeling it a bit towards the end. It is the third consecutive day that I have run so to be expected as I can't remember the lat time I did that. The knee is aching a little bit but with plenty of stretching and rollering I'm sure it will be ok.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - it will be my choice. I have more or less sorted things out for now but only so much that one can take and I have taken more than I should have. One has to have a level of respect for the person you work for and I am not sure I can say that anymore. So much more sensible to go somewhere where I will feel more valued. Of course that will be a gamble but life is full of gambles of one sort or another.

And good advice about taking it easy and not doing too much. I am not planning on overdoing it running wise the next few weeks. As Nell says by building back up sensibly so that I get used to running a few times a week and holding the mileage at a sensible level (20 - 25 miles) while working on my base fitness level should get me in a good place for marathon training in January.

Looks like you are getting into your training nicely. 3 days on the trot is impressive stuff and it is no surprise that you are feeling that a little bit. And as you say you managed yourself very well last year with your training plan so worth sticking to a proven system.

I got out yesterday for 7 miles.

Nothing too strenuous in terms of gradients.

8:07 ; 7;44 ; 7;45 ; 7:39 ; 7:58 ; 8;04 and 8:02.

Funny how quickly my legs were complaining and I thought that the weekends run was history. It will take a few sessions before I can be comfortable I guess.

I had thought about running again today but decided against it as it might be a little too much too soon.

But I am back and running is now part of the equation again so life can only get better. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - good to hear that it is not PF and that the foot is a little better. Like Carter I am impressed that 7:08m/m for 7 miles is not pushing it. I would be on my way to A&E if I tried that.

Interesting thoughts too on the cadence. You are right about 180 being the holy grail. It is about running style and it takes time to understand this and then adjust.

The problem I find with those that offer professional help whether it is in the running injury field or elsewhere is that the really good ones who will not 'sell' you more sessions or stuff are hard to come by. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - good to see that everything is going well for you too. image

• Options

Hi all, looks like you have all been doing some great training ! I had a heavy week last week 30+ miles most felt great although my long run of 11 last week was a real slog and i just about managed 7.50s ..... This week is a rest and taper week ready for Eynsham 10k on Sunday and a possible new PB.

Carter, liked your marathon training of 5 runs 1 week 4 the next. at mo I run 5 times a week but was thinking once mara training was in full force Id swap a run for a session on my bike (great new racing bike off hubby as was intending on next year being the year of the tri...... will still do one when recovered from marathon, so a year of firsts for me !)