Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    GDawg - yes, biking is great especially on a new machine. Your 33 sounds like a great route.

PMJ - nice racing. Glad your rolling lurgy is improving.

OO 52 - hope that ache in the hip is improving

SJ - cracking FW. Bad luck with all those punctures. Not sure how you remained so calm. What's your number & start time for W or B?
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Chuffing heck Slokey, them passes is bad enough on a normal day but doing them with a puncture every 5 seconds is monster hard. Respect!

Lorenzo - less than 3 weeks image yikes...

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Interesting discussion on rounding down/up times for races. A friend of mine who is very quick over the shorter stuff has never cracked sub 3 for the marathon and ran 3:00:03 a few years ago. Must be galling to get so close. Another friend of mine ran 1:28:40 yesterday for a half and needed 1:28:00 for an A qualifier for the Island games. It was a pb for her but she wasn't happy. I know I would gladly take a 2:59:59 for a marathon.image 

In other news, I'm still coughing my lungs up, I did a beach race the other night and needless to say it was nothing short of embarrassing, all 1.4 miles.

Slokey - That's some effort there, sounds horrible!

Jools - Your 5k pb is very close to mine but your marathon is nearly 40 mins quicker! Will you be racing one soon? Sub 18??

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was an interesting day

I did feel like just going home after the 3rd puncture but that would still mean finishing so not really a decision.

On the plus side, I felt like curling up and dying the previous year so this was a much better experience despite the issues.

Fishy, it looks like we have to start between 6:30 and 7:30am and there are only 36 people doing it so far. It could get lonely!
  • Options

Double crikey SJ - I'd have thought that the gods were conspiring against me with all those punctures. Well done on completing that one.

I play a pretty straight bat on rounding up / rounding down - 3:06:53 was "just under 3:07" whereas this year's 3:07:21 was "just over 3:07". Like GM I'd happily settle for a 2:59:59.

5 miles or so spread across various sections of commute today - fortunately I wasn't too sweaty on the train.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Respect SJ. You must have the patience of a saint image
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - take care of that leg.
    PMJ - that's good going with the lurgy.
    As for rounding, I don't bother with split seconds, always round them downimage
    SJ - that sounds like quite a day! Awesome stuff.
    8.7 slow miles. Had a few pains in the knees lately, so I've taken to running around the field again to try and help.

• Options

Gul - good to hear that the field is back in action. Go easy on the knees.

8 miles for me this morning - 4 miles uphill on the road, 4 miles gentle downhill through the woods. No surprises as to which part I preferred!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Gul - do you try strengthening the surrounding muscles when your knees talk to you?  Hope they quieten down.  Do you think the racing brings it on?

Off for a trail run through the woods and over the down with the dog soon.  Just some flat pack to assemble first after MrE took MsEtte1 to IKEA for a new bedroom at the weekend.  It's brilliant value that place.  Of course, you then spend the rest of the week putting it together. image One bed, two bedside tables and a set of drawers done so far. Just the desk to do today. image

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good to see some solid Parkruns and 10k’s run over the weekend. Does anyone have any marathons planned soon?

SJ – No wonder you can run so well on low mileage with 8 + hour ‘solid training days’ like that! You’re a machine. Sorry to read about all the punctures though.

Gul – Sorry to read about your knee issues. I’m a huge supporter of running as many miles as possible on softer ground. As MsE says make sure to be doing exercises to improve your stabilizer muscles. I think one legged squats with a dumb bell and 10 sec hill sprints would help.

I’ve been thinking about it for a while and have now committed to a new long term goal. I want to target running 100 marathons or ultras! I’ve currently completed 18 and I’m running the Causeway Crossing 50k Ultra on the 23rd of May.

I’m going to join the 100 Marathon Club Ireland and begin working towards the 100. To kick it all off in typical ‘Madbark’ style I have just signed up to run the Newry Marathon on the 24th of May. My 50k starts at 1 pm on the Saturday and the marathon at 9 am on Sunday so all going well I’ll have completed both races within a 24 hour window. Teehee, I love it!image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good stuff SJ.  Sounds like a very tough ride - I've been up Hardknot pass (steepest road in England I think) in the car and that struggled. The (nett) time improvement shows how your training strategy has improved your overall fitness. BTW I am using tubeless tyre on my best bike - and haven't had a puncture in about 5 years.  I'm using Stan's notubes tire sealant - quite remarkable stuff.

That sounds like fantastic double Badbark - I look forward to hearing how that goes.  If I remember right you were top-3 (or did you win?) at the 50K last year - are you going flat out again?  I think when you are running at high volume like you, some of the long runs are marathon distance anyway so it is a good goal to get to a 100 official marathons if you are up for it.

Good to see you Lozenro having done so much in the build up to Comrades .  Your recent result show us you are in great condition and in particular I am relying on you to get a sub-9 finish. You already told us you ran London too fast and just ran a 30miler at the w/e.  My opinion is simple - The training is done and now it is time to consolidate and get into premium condition by resting.  BTW did you hear we have another 870meters added to the race this year?

Personally I have now done 5 back-to-back sessions of my favourite session - REST (other than commute cycling) to make sure there is no relapse of peristitus.  All seems good - just the usual tightening of muscles.  Modest running will start again tonight.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

MSE- any excuse for x training with the flat pack hope there are no "spare" bits at the end image

Badbark- 100 mara club by Christmas , is that long term enough for you ? image

Lorenzo- the uphill bits no doubt for you as you do 30 mile fun runs !

Slokey-get on you-tube and see how to fix a flat in under a minute image

Bikeit - don't over do the rest or you could get injured image

Might try a run again tonight image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Barking mad BB. Good stuff.

Good to hear that things are settling down BI. What date is Comrades? It must be getting close - would love to do it.

I'm completely inept Leslie. I saw a video of a guy with no arms changing a tube a couple of months ago, he had to take his shoes and socks off to do it with his feet and teeth

He was still quicker than me.

Reminds of the time a one armed man overtook me in a lake swim.... image

New (more puncture resistant) tyres have arrived today!
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Sunday 31st May Slokey.  Still plenty of time to overtrain yet.

Leslie H wrote (see)

Bikeit - don't over do the rest or you could get injured image

Made me laugh.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great bike story SJ. Those tyre woes make me a tad worried about my rides coming up though.image

Back to running today. 6 miles at 6.58 pace. Big hill in the first mile that seemed to wake me up. More of a downhill 2nd mile which came out at 6.26, so decided to go for a sub-7 run to keep me interested as my mojo is flatter than a SJ tyre right now!

Spinning class tonight and back on the bike tomorrow after work for a cheeky hill reps session which should be 5 laps of a local hill area totalling 20 miles.

Then it's the 10k pairs relay race on Thursday night. Should be fun in the rain that's forecast.

GD

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, fell off the wagon and just did a massive read to catch up again!. Too much to comment on everything, but OO, Leslie, and Gul, hope the injuries are better. BB, that's heady stuff. SJ, nice training ride, especially because of all the flats. Also Gul, nice sub20 5K. And my 3:09:56 is still a 3:09 to me!

SJ, what type of glue did you use to get that Clifton insole back down? I had  one come loose yesterday at the start of 13 w/10 at subLT. Luckily no blisters. After resting up a bit last week (still managed 48 miles though), the weather was too perfect not to get a quality session in yesterday. The fast miles ave 6:55 and HR was about 78% for most and felt strong w/good cadence. Going out shortly so will see if I left anything in the tank.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

MsE: good luck with the flat-packing.  I had to build my new wardrobe the Friday after VLM and it was hard work (it weighed more than me and had to be lifted very carefully - with the benefit of hindsight I should have kept my mobile to hand...).  Thankfully I only went properly wrong (having to undo things) 3 times, and it only took 6 hours instead of the 3 hours it said on the instructions.  As you may be able to tell, I am not a practical person.  It would have been cheaper to go to work and pay someone else to do it for me.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

All done thanks, Jools!  Clearly, I should have gone into, er, flatpack compilation instead of law.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Mental image of Jools trapped in a fallen wardrobe... image keep a bottle of water with you too Jools.

VTr, no glue, swapped it out for a salomon insole.

Enjoy the biking GDimage
  • Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Ahh...flat pack heaven for Mse & Jools. Brings back (happy?) memories.

SJ - I may contrive my Saturday run to cheer you on in the very early stages of your W or B.

2 of my marathons are only 14 seconds apart. 3:08:58 (London 1987!) & 3:09:12 Nottingham 2015. But in my head a whole minute separates them.

First attempt at some "speed" work tonigh. 3x1 mile. Left me flabbergasted. But no problems with hip or groin. So all good
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Speedy action Fishy! (Speaking of which, how is Speedy getting on?)

Support crew! Excellent! Let me know where you'll be and I'll look out for you.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've been telling everyone I ran 2:58 at VLM (not once mentioned those 10 secs).

Still running pretty flat. I had a day rest to ease the hip but got out tonight on a lovely Geneve evening for a 10 mile plod at 8:30 pace.  

Thursday & Friday are holidays here so I'm hoping for a decent weekly mileage. For me my marathon avearge weekly mileage was about 50, now I'm dropping back to 40. Interested to know if you are all doing similar mileage cuts post marathon?

• Options

Unable to comment on the above OO52, for obvious reasons.

I did manage 8.4 miles at target marathon pace today. Talk about chuffed.
    However, the work rate was a tad higher than could be maintained for 26.2, talk about puffed.

At least I can make and build things.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - fortunately it seems like it was just a bit of a niggle, but some strengthening wouldn't go amiss. Hope you enjoy assembling the furniture.
    Badbark - yes, hill sprints are definitely on the menu. Sounds like a fun weekend you have lined up next week!
    Bike It - hope the rest has paid off.
    GD - good speedy running.
    VTr - sounding good.
    Fishy - excellent news.
    OO - post marathon I was doing 30-odd a week.
    Blisters - great MP run.
    4.5 slow miles.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    OO: I follow P&D's very conservative recovery schedule, so only 28 last week and 31 this week. A flat out marathon takes a lot out of me, plus, although I love running, it's great to have a month where it doesn't take over my life quite so much. I then spend a month on about 50 mpw before another 4 months back at 55-70 as I build up to an autumn marathon.
  • Options

OO, a lot of the recovery depends on the build up. This year I had a very gentle build up and so almost no recovery. The week after was 30 miles and then back to normal (40 to 45ish). I am not a high miles guy, I just nicked into 60 miles one week, so that probably helps.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z2JSm2KJNGo/VVL6QybnQfI/AAAAAAAABgU/2MzAmbBGirE/s664/miles.png

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

More or less an inverse taper for me - averaged 61mpw for the 13 weeks pre taper, then 51, 36, 17 + VLM, 17 (5 day rest, then 11 sat, 6 sun), 41, & this week I'm aiming for 52, for no other reason than it will give me 1,000 for the year to date.  Probably settle at 45-50 for a while . . . .

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

0052 -too much racing delaying recovery ? image

GUL-easy does it 

Jools- p&d by the numbers ,showing us how its done !

Blisters- nice to hit mara pace for a stretch 

PMJ- The next mara will be a bit tougher on you I suspect and you might have to gurn a bit image

Birch-good numbers 

6 easy this morn leg holding up at easy pace anyway,pain seems to be from top of calf according to foam roller ...

• Options

You're definitely Madbark!

Good MP miles Blisters

I've cut back a lot 00 with the miles. Part of me enjoys not having the pressure to get certain miles/pace. Been taking it easier with the running in the last few weeks to get the run/life/home balance back in line for a while. Although I did manage 40 miles last week with my longest run post Manchester of 12 miles. This week is different again with a bit of illness wiping me out a bit. Sundays 8 mile league race looks in question image