Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Track session last night. First bit of running since Beachy Head.

Legs felt OK. Session was 6 x 1k with 200m recoveries. Did a warm up mile with some strides that came out at 6.48.
    All went well, legs felt a bit jaded in the final couple of reps and the knee complained due to it going pop on mile 2 of Beachy but all reps were around 3.36 which is about 5.49 pace.

Happy with that but need to watch the knee.

Have a good weekend of running, Gang!

GD

• Options

Gul, agree with Poacher, Manchester would be my choice again for a fast flat (and accurately measured) course, but a bit of a trek to go up on the day I suppose if you don;t want an overnight stop. What about Milton Keynes is that too far to drive first crack?

Great 1k reps there G-Dawg.

• Options

Hello All,

Sorry to be away from this forum so long, but it is about running isn’t it.  I haven’t been doing much of that.

Good to hear all your running tales and good performances across the board.

I’ve had a difficult 4 months in terms of running.  I’ve had a long period of constant pain, then a period of pain when I moved, then only when I walked then only when I tried to run.  I’ve been running on a low level now for a month and all still very difficult – very slow and pains in various places. I’m not optimistic of a quick fix.

I’ve entered the usual race I do.  Missing the Soweto marathon this weekend as I am no way able to do that.  Hopefully a (slow) qualifying marathon in the New Year.  It looks like it will be done with minimal training at the moment.

Good news is that I got a new job.  Bad news is that it is a 142km/2 hour commute each way.  That substantially eats into all ‘spare’ time and running would have to take a big backseat for now.   I am however only working 4 days per week.

I had a big accident with my 4yo daughter too.  She was on the crossbar of my bike and got her leg caught between the spokes and forks. We both went flying and I managed to catch her (un-helmeted) head before it crashed into the ground.  Her leg was massively ripped where the (race) spokes lacerated it.  I though at the time it was broken and the bone had come through the skin.  Blood everywhere and I gripped her leg for an hour before we got to hospital.  Totally horrific and totally my responsibility.  No cycling since then and I want to be changing my forum name as a result.  At least we have scars in similar places as I have one from being run over by a bus whilst on my bike.

Take care all

• Options

PMJ - I need to treat Mrs GD to a break with no running involved!
    GD - great reps, especially considering it's less than a week since Beachy Head!
    KR - yes, I'd forgotten about the Milton Keynes marathon, certainly close enough for a day trip. Bank Holiday Monday is good, but I'd have to forego the local 10k which is on the day before. Someone on here (AlsoRan?) put me off it one year by saying it was a real pain going up and down frequent slopes by drop kerbs or some such annoyance.

• Options

x-post Bike It - good to hear from you, but terrible news. That must have been an horrific experience for you and your daughter. Hope she has recovered from the trauma as well as the physical damage. Hope your own recovery continues to build momentum and you can somehow find a way to return to more regular running. Take care now.

• Options

BI – that sounds terrible. Hope your daughter’s OK. Sorry to hear about all your running related pains as well and hope that the commuting doesn’t prove to be too much of a problem.

Poacher – difficult to comprehend how inconsiderate some people are. Hope your leg’s OK now.

GM – thought of you earlier today as there was an article in the in-flight magazine about doing a day trip involving a flight to Jersey, a marathon length run around the island and back in time to catch the flight back to Gatwick. Sounds like an idea for a thread summertime outing!!

GulPMJ’s plan sounds as good one to me! I like the thought of the Peddar’s Way Ultra. How seriously are you tempted by it? Don’t be put off by the idea of running with a backpack – just get yourself a decent running one that doesn’t move around at all. I’ve done all my Ultras with my Innov8 backpack and there haven’t been any problems with it or the weight.

After a couple of days off post Beachy Head, I was back running along the River Ness in Inverness on Tuesday morning – a couple of easy runs and then a few hill strides yesterday morning. Decided to take this morning as a rest day after a rather late finish in Johnnie Fox’s last night following 4 days of discussing budgets!! image

Planning to get out on the trail early tomorrow morning with the aim of getting nice and muddy!

• Options

Lorenzo - hope you're enjoying the mud. I've heard of John Foxx, but who's Johnnie Fox? I am slightly tempted by the Peddars Way Ultra, but as you say I would need a proper runner's backpack. When I tried run-commutes earlier this year, the straps on my walker's backpack cut into my shoulders.
    First run of the week today. The toe was fine, but I got a sore/aching glute after half an hour and decided to finish at 4.3 miles.
    Good luck to OO and anyone else racing this weekend.

• Options

Bikeit - sounds like you are having a rough time of it ,hope your Daughter recovers ok sounds very nasty ,don't envy those long commutes either !

Lorenzo enjoy the mud plugging.

Gul hard to get gong again isn't it.

8m easy this morn.

• Options

Gul - I know what you mean about the straps; it's really important to get one with decent, thick padding on the shoulders rather than make do with something you'd use for walking. I've been very happy with my Innov8 pack. I've also had Raidlight recommended to me but they're quite a bit more pricey

https://www.inov-8.com/equipment/packs.html

http://www.raidlight.com/en/324-backpacks

No idea who Johnnie Fox was, but the establishment bearing his name seems to be the heart and soul of the Inverness nightlife. I bailed out at about 1.00am and the place was still filling up.

Good luck to OO this weekend.

13 off road miles this morning - lovely run but not as muddy as I thought it would be.

Mrs L is away for the weekend so younger Lorenzito and I are off to the Rugby League 4 Nations double header in Coventry this afternoon. Whilst I've been to Twickenham as number of times, it'll be the first time I've been to a Rugby League match since watching Warrington vs St Helens in about 1990 when the game was abandoned in the first half becuase part of the stand roof nearly blew off. Hoping for better luck this time.

• Options
    Lorenzo wrote (see)
    Mrs L is away for the weekend so younger Lorenzito and I are off to the Rugby League 4 Nations double header in Coventry this afternoon. Whilst I've been to Twickenham as number of times, it'll be the first time I've been to a Rugby League match since watching Warrington vs St Helens in about 1990 when the game was abandoned in the first half becuase part of the stand roof nearly blew off. Hoping for better luck this time.

I need to get out and see a rugby league game. I watch a lot of union and have started to follow the league on TV over the summer so need a trip north to see some of it.

parkrun pacer this morning: 20:00.9 not bad and splits were all within 5 seconds of 4 dead so not a bad job.

• Options

BI - So sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you are both ok. Nice to hear from you and I hope you have better luck and are able to regain fitness soon, 

Lorenzo - That sounds like a cunning plan although it would be even better to stop over to sample the local food and beverages on offer. image

Gul - Good to hear you're back running and wise to cut it short with the glute issue. Sometimes you feel ok but the body takes a bit longer to recover and that was a hard run you did last week, the toe issue was probably a blessing if you know what I mean. 

G-Dawg - Some session that! 

SEdan - Making good progress, 40 is a nice weekly total and something I've only managed once since late March. 

OO - Have a great w/end up in Keswick. 

PMJ - That's pretty damn good pacing that. What's the course like? Was that a fairly comfortable pace then, if so, you must have some decent speed in the legs. It's very difficult to run even splits on my local one given the nature of the course, unless you are running considerably slower than you are capable of. 

Leslie - Nice 8, are you on for another 50 something this week?

I've not run for a week. Got knocked sideways with a nasty virus and spent 48 hours practically in bed and didn't eat a thing for 24 hours. Feel slightly less hideous today and hope to be back running on Monday. It's awful timing as that would be 9 days with no running 13 days before the half I'm meant to be doing. I guess I'll have to race it untapered and hope for a decent 10 days or so of running, mainly focusing on speed, tempo and hill running. Could be a make or break 10 days or so. On the plus side I've lost 3kg's which I was hoping to and the plan is to keep that off until race day. I'm down to 75kg's which I haven't been for some time. i was 80kg's when I last ran it, so that would be a lot less blubber to carry up the hilly 5k section of the race. 

• Options

Lorenzo - Was that article you read in HIghlife by any chance? If so, I was tagged in a FB post a while back (just read it now by chance) and I know the local guy mentioned in the article, he's an ultra runner and race director who organises the local round the rock ultra and other non club events. They focus on off road stuff but also do a spring marathon now and early summer half as well as other things, which is cool on a small Island like here. It appeals to a much wider demographic and attracts a lot of runners who I often see out running but don't do the club events. Same applies to parkrun, they are getting 250+ runners each week. 

• Options

Lorenzo - never mind; I'm sure there'll be plenty of mud before too long! Thanks for the backpacks recommendations. Hope you enjoyed the rugby.
    PMJ - good pacing.
    GM - sorry to hear about the virus. Hope you recover in time for the half.
    No running this morning. Out late night at a Martyn Jospeh gig (had seats on the middle of the second row and was spellbound watching his fingers on the fretboard), which was staggeringly excellent, and up early this morning preparing to preach.

• Options

PMJ excellent pacing

Gerard- hope you get back on target for the half at least the weight loss will help. No 50m here this week 2 days off scuppered that image but I was due a cutback anyway.

Gul sounds like you had a great time

squeezed in a 9.25m before work (will get that 10 miler in yet !) giving me 37m for the week.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good to hear from BikeIt, but really sorry to hear of your tribulations - good luck with acquiring the qualifying time, and above all, best wishes to your daughter - a traumatic experience  . . .

Gerard - shame re the virus; hope you manage a decent 10 day block of training  . 

still no focus here - just a couple of 6's & an 11 miler so far - must fit 7 at least in later to scrape 30 for the week.   

• Options

GM - yes, it was in the BA Highlife magazine. Painted a very attractive picture of Jersey. Hope you're shaking off the virus.

Gul - sounds like you had a good time last night. Just a bit surprised you didn't pop out for a quick run when you got back! image

Great stuff at the rugby last night although my proverbials were frozen by the time it finished. It's not often you get to see England vs Scotland plus the top 2 teams in the world playing in the same double header. If anyone's remotely interested in rugby (either league or union) it's well worth watching the second Scottish try on the highlights. We were pretty close to it and I thought that there was no way he could have got it down - it took about 5 minutes of the TMO replays to decide it was a try but it was pretty amazing.

I was a bit surprised that the stadium was only 2/3 full and that a number of people left after the first match but it meant that we could move seats and ended up being on the comfy ones just behind the media area. image

6.5 easy miles in the cold this morning to take me up to 33 for a post-marathon week.

• Options
    GerardM wrote (see)
     PMJ - That's pretty damn good pacing that. What's the course like? Was that a fairly comfortable pace then, if so, you must have some decent speed in the legs. It's very difficult to run even splits on my local one given the nature of the course, unless you are running considerably slower than you are capable of. 

For me, the pacing duty is a bit odd. I am probably in 19:30 form but can pace 20:00 relatively easily and evenly. The guidelines are generally to pace about 10% slower than you race so that translates as the best part of 2 minutes over 5k. I have done the course many times (44 times according to the website but we used to do unofficial ones as well on Boxing Day which don't appear) and it is mildly undulating but in a good way, so slight uphill over the first 1k so a bit in the bag but not on the watch and the last 800m are downhill, so the only tricky bit is the hill from maybe 3,800 to 4,200 metres.

Lorenzo, don't rub it in: I watched the games on TV and noticed the empty seats and just kicked myself for not being organized enough to be there.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Just travelling home from the Lakes. Not a bad day in.wet and windy conditions. Junior was flying and came 2nd lady in 64:40. I was a minute behind bagging 1st V50 which was unexpected with my slowest time on this course.
  • Options

Crikey OO - sub 65 in wet and windy conditions. That's going some! As you say, she must have been flying. Did you get a prize for your podium place?

• Options

Good to hear from you Bike It. Sounds like an eventful few months in many ways. Hope your daughter is on the mend. 

Sorry to hear about your virus and very frustrating not getting the training in for your half marathon. All is not lost though and I reckon a few long tuns and some short sharp reps should get you back in form.

Good result for you and junior OO.

Good park run pacing PMJ

I think they call it the Star Wars marathon Gul as it's often on May the 4thimage

Average park run of 19.27 (19.20 on the garmin?) yesterday at a windy park. Then a steady 7.38 paced 10 miler this morning for 43 miles for the week image

• Options

Leslie - good squeezing in.
    Birch - are you still undecided about Boston?
    Lorenzo - that's good going for a post-marathon week.
    OO - excellent outing for junior and yourself, even if it was your slowest time.
    KR - good parkrun on a windy day.
    10 slow miles this morning. Base training has begun!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

not nice out there. Delaying my run hoping the weather improves..Gul and KR you are hardcore...

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

excellent V50 win, OO - and great work by Jnr . . . 

got myself out for 7 yesterday pm to manage 30 for the week;  started this week with another 7, but with "road efforts" included . . 

still thinking about Boston, Gul - although as my daughter has entered Manchester, I need to see if she would like me to accompany her. Tricky - as it's her first attempt, she has a loose goal of sub 3:45 (VLM GFA), which, even in my current state, should be "easy" - however, her current times suggest she's capable of being quicker.  BUT, as we know - a debut (race AND campaign)  is a journey into the unknown  . . . .   will be meeting up this weekend, so can discuss.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

How old is your daughter Birch? Looking forward to the day when I might run a mara with Junior. Quite a few years away I suspect.  

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

She's 24, OO - been running for some years, though - right through from age 8 primary school XC  (dropped away a bit (but not entirely) at Uni) .  She's decided to go for the 26.2 off her own bat - I've never suggested to her or her brother that they might do so -  has to be a decision of one's own, I believe . . .    

• Options

I'm sure your efforts and running have had an influence on her Birch.

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

OO - my daughter is 5 months old and I have hopes she might catch the cross country bug when she is a little older. I played rugby as a kid and never got into running until much later so hopefully I can pass this on. Would be a real thrill for father and daughter to both be running the National on Parliament Hill one day... still, if she wants to play netball I suppose that's up to her...

First session for me since comeback this morning in a local park. 6 x 800s in around 3:21 per rep. Doing it in a park is probably worth a couple of seconds versus track but I was hitting sub 3 mins in the run up to VMLM 2015 when I PB'd with 3:06. I will be interested to see how long it takes to get back to something approximating that level.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

A nice return to 800 reps there, SEdan.

It seems my post from yesterday never made it! I'll mention the Sunday run again as it was superb from an enjoyment perspective.

Had friends around for dinner on Saturday night and I knew the wine would flow. So to bag some miles I bashed out a 5 miler at 6.45 pace.
    This left me with the option of a longer off-road session on Sunday morning with a small crowd from the club.

I didn't think I'd go due to feeling groggy but they said it would be slow so I found myself at Newlands Corner at 07.30 in zero degrees temps.

Lorenzo will know some of these spots - The run started with a steep downhill and then a huge incline to St Martha's church. There was then some sort of loop and we ran to Shere and Gomshall before cutting across the A25 and making our way back through the forest to the car park at Newlands Corner. 10 miles in total and over 1100 feet of incline. Average pace was just under 10m/m. Once the hangover cobwebs were blown off after a couple of miles I found it to be one of the best runs of the year. Such a laugh with the gang and no time pressures. The terrain was teacherous at times as we ran on areas where you'd never get a bike and could just about fit your feet into small gulleys. Brilliant fun!

A feast of treats awaited at the end as we ate cakes, biscuits and drunk black coffee off the tailgate of my mate's Land Rover. Can't wait for the next one.

GD

• Options

OO - the worst of the weather hit us Sunday evening / night - it wasn't too bad by the time I went out for a run in the morning.
    Birch - that would be great to run Manchester with your daughter!
    SEdan - hope you enjoyed the 800 reps. Probably won't be doing any of those for a while now.
    GD - sounds like you had a great time on Sunday morning.
    12 mile MLR this morning. Nice and slow - first 6 @ 9:13 and second @ 8:29 m/m.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Running marathons with offspring... might be a little way off at 6 & 7!

Don't worry about the pace too much SEdan - you've been up there before, so know you're capable. Just a matter of the fitness coming back.

Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday morning GD!

And a very decent mid-week return from Gul too.

Managed a 9 on Saturday morning before being confined to decorating duties for most of the rest of the weekend. Still not finished, so some late nights ahead this week. 6 steady yesterday, 7 easy today.