Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hope the weather's kinder than forecast, Gerard, and that your hamstring holds up 

Got the old diaries out to check - highest yearly total was 2550 in 1992 . . . .

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Glad the earthquake drama turned out well, Birch

Good luck with the forecast GM

A belting 18 there Leslie, well done

Track tonight in mild conditions. Decided to run there as a 3 mile warm up. Then it was  intervals comprising 600m hard, 1 min rest then 200m at max effort. 3 mins rest then repeat, total of 6 reps.

A tough session, 600s were all around 2.05 and the 200s were 32 secs.

The 3 miles home were a daunting prospect But job done and 9.6 miles chalked up.

GD

• Options

Birch - Thanks and Wow! Love the way you are able to look back at a moments glance and recall that yearly total. I turned 18 that year and in all honesty I can't remember much from that year at all. Watched the Barca Olympics on tv  but as I recall it wasn't a memorable one. I'm guessing you got some tasty pb's that year?

G-Dawg - I'm not surprised that session felt tough, that's some very fast running. Well done on getting home too after that! 

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

No running for me so far this week after turning my ankle over on Sunday. Reckon I would be okay to run tomorrow but going to be cautious and leave until Saturday. No point taking any risks in base building, I've built up enough fitness over the last month to get back into things next week and progress from there.

• Options

Leslie - that's a cracking fast finish long run - you're are back on top form!
    Birch - glad all is well, must have been very worrying for a while there. 2550? Sounds like you've given me a target!
    GM - good to know what's what after the visit to the physio.
    GD - another good track session.
    SEdan - wise move. Hope you're fully recovered by next week.
    10 easy miles this morning @ 8:19 m/m.

• Options

Birch -glad all is well on the family front and you got a decent few runs in this week 

0053 maybe the toothfairy will leave you a quid image

Gerard- I tend to avoid one road at rush hour due to nearly getting flattened several times with drivers pulling out of their drive and only looking one way while crossing the footpath image Rest up as needed sounds like the half is off for you !

Gdawg nice session its always a tough slog to go any distance after track I find.

Gul nice target ! Tomorrow will be exactly one year since I had my knee surgery ,without it I wouldn't have run another mile ,glad I'm not over the hill yet like I though I was last year image

6 cautious recovery miles this morning ,I was squeaking a bit after 2 hard days.image

• Options

Seem to be a lot of runners out this week. Yesterday my run was marked by one runner just ahead of me who I had to chase down and overtake, just to find another just ahead of him some distance down the road. Spent the full 6 miles chasing and overtaking, even one poor guy who must have done a 5 mile loop so I passed him at about 2 miles and then again when I was at 4.5 and he at 3.5.

• Options

Leslie - you've made an excellent recovery and good progress - life in the old dog yet!
    PMJ - unusual occurrence for me yesterday - spotted (and overtook) another runner before 6am on Nursery Lane.
    6 mile recovery run d&d this morning. Spotted the Rickshaw Challenge support vehicles in the market place, but the lazy gits don't start till 6:30image by which time I was in the shower.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul said  "2550? Sounds like you've given me a target!   

remind me of your current tally, Gul  . . . .

(how do we insert quoted text by the way - that "quote" icon at the top right doesn't seem to do anything)  . . . . .

• Options

Afternoon all.  I have been sort of lurking but not posting much as life has been pretty busy.  Got my first cross-country of the season under my belt on Saturday (finished 9th, but out-kicked for 8th) and gradually building the miles back up: 46M last week and should be fairly similar this week.  Club session on Tuesday, too, so re-introducing quality work.

Will try and read back a bit whilst I eat my lunch!

• Options
    Birch wrote (see)

Gul said  "2550? Sounds like you've given me a target!   

remind me of your current tally, Gul  . . . .

(how do we insert quoted text by the way - that "quote" icon at the top right doesn't seem to do anything)  . . . . .

Birch - clicked the quote button at the bottom of your post, then the " button at the top of mine. Let's see if it works! And 2340 is the answer to your question. So barring a major incident, it's now a bit of a soft target.
    Jools - good XC. You will be out-kicking the others in a few weeks time.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

ah, thanks, Gul -  and yes, you'll soon serenely glide by my total  . . . image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Leslie, you've been putting in some hard runs. Due an easier day or two!

Nice casual competitiveness from PMJ and Gul there!

Good to see Jools popping back in. Post-mara recovery looks like it's going well.

Steady week for me so far with 6, 6.5, 6 & 6. Today's 6 should have been 7 but was absolutely chucking it down, so cut it a little short. Typically, the sun's shining now!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds painful Gerard I hope that deep massage pays off.

Welcome back Jools, XC is always a good place to start- I might do at least 1 this season.

The week has improved. Three runs under the belt and my tooth feels better (though the dentist is lurking tomorrow). Assuming nothing dramatic happens my 10 miler is back on for Sunday. It will not be great but hopefully not a disaster- maybe 63 mins? 

• Options

OO - Glad you're on the mend and good luck for Sunday.

Abbers - Nice week so far, no sun here at the mo, the weather is hideous. 

Jools - Good to hear you are managing to get some decent miles in and nice XC result. 

Leslie - You probably needed that after all the hard sessions you've been doing lately. 

PMJ - Out speeding and overtaking again.image

Just a couple of 5k jogs for me so far this week and I'm not doing anything to risk making the hamstring any worse but I'm almost resigned to a DNS on Sunday what with the $hit weather and the hammy. Another factor is I have my son this week and he is meant to be going to a friends on Sunday a.m. who have offered to take him to his rugby while I race and the way the weather is looking I think the rugby might be off but the race might go ahead so I could come unstuck either way. Current forecast is rain and force 6 winds, so a slight improvement but still quite bad. I'll make a very late call on this one. 

• Options

Abbers - pretty consistent there!
    OO  - hope all is well for Sunday.
    GM - obviously a DNS would be disappointing, but everything seems to be conspiring against you. Perhaps best to make sure the hamstring is 100% and plan another race.
    16 miler this morning. 8 @ 8:16 HR 136 and 8 @ 7:44 HR 146.

• Options

You're putting in some great training runs Leslie, what's your target at the moment?

GM - I reckon the Half might not be a good idea to run fat out if your hammy is giving you grief - it might make it worse? Doesn't look like the stars are aligned for this one with the imminent bad weather and potential childcare woes? Good luck if you can still make it though.

Some good yearly totals being posted already with 1 month still to go!

Nice 16 miler there Gul.

Glad the tooth is on the mend 00 - worst kind of pain that. Best of luck for your 10 miler - 63 minutes is a good target.

Only been out twice this week, with a 10 miler on Tuesday at the Club including a 5.36 mile along a nice flat stretch of road.

Good luck to any parkrunners or racers this weekend.

• Options

PMJ sounds like great fun ,If I see a runner far in the distance on my hard run days I feel the urge to use them as a pacer image

Gul sure you would love a go on that rickshaw and could have warmed it up for them ! another good long run too.

Jools back on the ramp again 

Birch I could never get that quote button to work right either,always managed to get my text in the quote image thank goodness Guls about .

Abbers consistently consistent there 

0053 anything for the toothfairy ?

Gerard sounds like its going to be grim weather at the race anyway 

KR 5:36 m/mile is shifting image My target is the Walled city marathon next June which I just entered last night as it happens ,not a lot of people know that inc my wife yet image will have to breach the subject carefully image  I know the target but just don't have the legs for it yet so trying to close the gap and make a decision when the campaign starts early feb .

6 easy which felt a lot easier today again,legs recovering well 

• Options

KR - very speedy mile there.
    Leslie - hope you're wife isn't cyber-stalking you!
    11 slow miles this morning @ 8:47 m/m HR 129.

• Options

All a bit quiet on here today - good to see that Gul has had a couple of lie-ins recently.

Sorry to hear that the weekend's fun is off GM - at least you'll be able to have some time with your lad.

Super speedy there KR - 5:36 is moving some.

Good luck with the 10 miler tomorrow OO.

PMJ - was very tempted to sneak a quick marathon in there but decided not to, so you broke the 2,000 tape just ahead of me.

A 10.5 mile set of commuting runs yesterday took me to 1,999 for the year which was the perfect incentive to get out for a birthday run this morning.

I'd planned to do about 16 miles on a new route but underestimated the distance and ended up with 21 including Holmbury Hill and Leith Hill, coupled with stretches along the North Downs Way and the Greensand Way. Lovely and crisp morning with frost on the ground in places and clear blue skies - suspect it won't be the same tomorrow.

• Options

Lorenzo - many happy returns! Sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday. Hope you've not been too battered by the stormy weather today. No lie-ins here this week, but a rest from running day today. Total for the week was 64. Wondering if I could make 2621.875 miles this year?

• Options

Lorenzo happy birthday image and nice accidental 21 miler.

Gul I hope not but at least I didn't use my real name as my username to cover my tracks image Great week and 1 more than me again ! 

-2c this morn and a bit slippery out which cost me the extra mile image

63 mile for the week.

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, hope you had a good one. I've walked bits of the Greensand Way and it's lovely. Not quite taken to trail running yet (other than cross country races) but maybe when the inevitable happens and my pace starts getting worse than better...

Had a reassuring 6.5 mile run this morning. Ankle held up perfectly fine so should be good to kick on next week. Nice to hit sub 8:20s for most of the run while feeling easy, although no doubt that's explained by 6 days of not running too...

Still, one month ago I was running 9:30s for the same effort so the base building works (probably lost a couple of pounds too which helps)...

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good pea-shelling 11 yesterday, Gul, but what's with the slacking today image ?  

Gerard - maybe for the best you DNS today - give the ham a chance to heal . . .

nice week, Leslie

Birthday greetings for y'day, Lorenzo, and excellent (further than planned) long run

missed yesterday with chums to record a blank, so 6 miles today in a "stop/start" fashion whilst supporting my daughter at Clowne (Derbyshire) half marathon, yielded 32 for the week  . . . .

• Options

SEdan - do you live close to the Greensand Way? I can strongly recommend running some of the stretches of it, or if not the Greensand Way, then any kind of trail running. Great for balance given the irregularity of the surface, strength because of the undulations and generally far more enjoyable than running on the roads all the time. Add the fact that you don't have to worry about pacing as much as you've got the perfect combo for a wonderful running experience.

Stormy overnight here but the rain had blown over by the time I went out with a bunch of mates around 7.30 this morning. Pretty wet underfoot as we were on trails and tracks all the time - 7.5 miles brings me up to just short of 60 for the week.

• Options
    Evening all. Quick check to say I did the half today. Storm Angus hit us hard last night and into the early hours this morning but a phone call from a friend very late night convinced me to do it as the weather looked hopeful at the time of the race. 1:29:23 was my finish time. Will post a report later,
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Wow - looks like I jumped the gun with my assumption of a DNS, Gerard  !!  Looks a belting time in view of recent travails - look forward to your report . . . . .

• Options

Great going GM - sounds like you exceeded expectations. Looking forward to the report (hint, hint!)

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hi all, just catching up on the weekend's events. Good miles logged by many, including an accidental 21 from Lorenzo!

Fantastic run from GM to go sub-90 when he wasn't even sure he was going to run a few hours before. Top stuff.

Was MsE running Gosport this morning? Organisers went ahead despite concerns about wind & rain overnight and made a call early this morning as conditions eased. My old running buddy got a 1:29:10 PB and said there were still 20mph headwinds in places, so doesn't sound the easiest of days!

A very similar run to Gul for me yesterday morning, 11 in about 8:30s as the sun came up. Something of a cultural weekend with the theatre on Friday night (The Wipers Times) and then Ludovicio Einaudi in concert last night. Feeling unusually highbrow!

• Options

Thanks guys, busy drafting it as we speak. image