Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Sainsbury's finally delivered the turkey- and for free.

Nice couple of days in London so far. Broke the rule of a lifetime with a Christmas day 5 mile run. Then 12 more today on my way to the 2250 target. First time on the London Eye and a nice river cruise.

Isn't it nearly that time when we all take stock of our running year image Looking forward to your reflections... 

• Options

Slokey shame about the running but a GB vest you are on the up,great news indeed. image

PMJ a decent year there 

ChristMsE nice easy 10m, The rock and roll lifestyle isn't a good recipe for a  long life image but I'm sure they enjoyed it !

SBD if you have been there before another sub 3 shouldn't be too big an ask image and maybe you can go even quicker !

Sn00w53 enjoying the sights 

12m today and felt a bit of speed coming back so shame to waste it image

2 warmup up followed by 4m around 7m/mile ,then 5 hard progression to all I had,1 steady to finish .

9 hard average 6:44 m/mile

12m in total at 6:57m/mile.image

• Options

Sorry to hear about the hip SJ, but huge kudos for getting to the level where you can represent your country - when are the events?

More good stuff from you there Leslie - 9 @ an average of 6:44 suggests that you must have been bounding along at around 6:30 at the end.

Glad you enjoyed your London trip SnOOw53 - both the running and the turkey. image

Steady stuff for me over the Xmas period - after Saturday's parkrun I had a hilly 11 miler on Xmas morning with younger Lorenzito to work up an appetite for Xmas lunch, and then sneaked in another 10.5 that was almost as hilly on Boxing Day. 4.5 easy this morning takes me up to 2,319 for the year so definitely a record year on the mileage for me.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I've signed up for Milton Keynes, SBD.  I needed an earlier HM as Manchester falls in early April.

Not much of a running year to reflect on for me, OO.  I only managed to resurrect the running once I had completed my dissertation in the summertime.  Berlin was a compromised effort from me with 7 weeks of training.  I am hoping 2017 will be a decent year of running for me.  I have no planned interruptions! image

Excellent MLR Leslie!  Were the harder miles all at a steady pace or progressively quick?

That is impressive mileage, Lorenzo.  You see?  You are meant to be an ultra runner.

An easy 11 for me today with a quicker last 10 mins. Av 7:41/mi with a final 6:35/mi. mile.

Now onto family duties to see mum.  Today is her birthday which falls on the same day as dad's passing.  Mixed emotions as ever. image

• Options

Lorenz HoHoHo a good year alright image splits for yesterday's last 5 hard miles were : 6:43, 6:40, 6:37, 6:21 and a little fade for 6:27 to finish so yes spot on .

ChristMsE  Nice fast finish 11 , enjoy catching up with your mum and Let's hope 2017 is a good running year for all of us, I can feel it in my bones image (among all the age related clonks and rattles image )

6 easy today came out at 7:48 average but I find it's usually 2 days after a hard session things hurt image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a cracking effort Leslie, no way I could keep that pace up on a long training run.

Short 5 miler for me before driving North this afternoon. 10 miles to go to reach 2250, hoping to close it out Friday allowing a rest day before my New Year's Day race.

Sounds like you have a better chance of a decent running year in 2017 MSE- have you decided your focus races and targets?
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

2250 is an impressive tally OO.  I've managed 253 miles in December so far but other than January (271 miles) it's been a lean yearimage

Good progressive turn of speed in that 12 mile session Leslie.

MsE - The last time I ran Milton Keynes I tried to add a 5 mile out and back warm up along the canal but missed the return bridge and ending up sprinting back to the start line to find I'd missed the gun by 2 minutesimage

Impressive mileage for the two festive days Lorenzo - I thought I was doing well to be allowed out for six miles on Christmas Day!

14 miles mid-week MLR yesterday at an overall 7:51, followed by 6 miles recovery on the treadmill tonight.

Need to stop all this eating and drinkingimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes you are making us all look like slackers Lorenzo! Great that junior joined you on Christmas day- does he keep up OK on those long runs?

Junior OO has had quite sore back pain so eased off for a few days. Not sure if she'll take part in our New Years Day race but hoping so.

• Options

2,242 for me so far this year, tomorrow off and parkrun on Saturday before parkrun double on Sunday which means a 4 mile run to the first one, 5k parkrun, 4 mile run back, 5k. Won't catch up with Lorenzo so lost that one in the last few weeks!

Been a nice 4 days running since Christmas: early starts and hilly / woody routes looking all the better for a crisp covering of frost.

• Options

Hi folks. I hope you're all enjoying the Christmas break.
    OO - Glad the turkey worked out in the end. If you can squeeze in a long run you should hit your target. OK, sounds like you're nearly there now!
    MsE - good easy MLR. Hope there weren't any slugs in your Christmas Dinner! Yesterday must be a really tough day for your mum and the family.
    Birch - sorry to hear it's a tough time of year for you. All the best for the New Year.
    Lorenzo - very respectable parkrun in those conditions. Cracking mileage for the year, well done.
    Leslie - 6 weeks of that sort of mileage is excellent going. Enjoy a bit of a break. Well done on reaching 1900. 12 @ 6:57 m/m? Aren't you supposed to be taking it easy for a bit?!!!
    GM - hope you had a good Christmas in Paris.
    KR - hope the 3 day plan works out. I did put Faster Road Racing on a list somewhere but got an excellent CD instead. Good 16 miler.
    SBD - good tempo dreadmill session and MLR.
    SJ - sorry to hear about your hip, but that's great news about the GB vests!!!
    PMJ - longest shortest month is a good one! I'll have to look into that. Plenty of frost here too.
    No running for me on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or Tuesday, but a couple of easy 7 milers yesterday and today. It's certainly nippy out there! Another 14 in the next two days will bring me up to 2650 for the year. But much more pleasing than that were the 4 PBs this year, including finally going sub 40.

• Options

Sn00w53 enjoy that new year's day race image

SBD nice double to get the miles in ,trying to avoid those if I can but it might be the way forward.

PMJ nice mileage total 

Guldolph Looks like you are well ahead of the rest of us on miles ,hardly surprising you had a good pb year .image Taking it easy  well I did have 2 days off last week !image

This morn felt good after I got going: 14.5 mile at 7:04 average ,half in 1:31:18 .

4m steady , 6m at around 7's ,last 3m flat  6;35, 6:14,6:19 .

• Options

Evening folks. I hope you all had a nice Christmas. I had a lovely time in Paris. It started really well when my sister said "Ger are you ok with sleeping in the basement/cellar?!image I managed to get out for a run on Christmas day but it was only a 4 miler to clear the head and get some fresh air. I took my son and my niece who is ten out on boxing day and did 4.5k with them and dropped them back then did another 14k on my own. The weather was amazing, dry and quite sunny. We took in all the sights, and had a lovely day in St Germain with a nice walk around the forest that surrounds the Chateau. We got back last night and it was sad to say goodbye to my family but it was a very special time and the kids were all so well behaved and they made me laugh so much. I really love hanging out with the little ones, I love their creativity and infectious laughter and my boy Seb loved having his cousins around. He is an only child and we haven't got any family here so it was lovely. We had a great music session on Xmas night, the mandolins came out and we had such fun. The 3 kids put on a show as well and that was hilarious. We all ate and drank quite a bit and I did a post Christmas weigh in this morning and put on a 1lb which I was amazed with. It's been a really poor year running wise for me as half of it was spent injured/infirm and then trying to regain fitness but I mustn't complain as I am really enjoying my running at the mo albeit very sporadic but I'm feeling hopeful that 2017 will be a better year running wise. Some of the annual mileage totals being posted on here is mind boggling for me and I will just fall short of 1,000 for the year but I'm ok with that. Back to work tomorrow........image but then it's a long w/end!image 

• Options

MsE - I meant to say before now that it must have been lovely for you and MrE to have met in Paris. It's a beautiful place and I'm sure it holds many fond memories for you both. Re your Dad and your Mum, that can't be easy. I hope you had a nice time together in-spite of the mixed emotions. 

• Options

Leslie - another great MLR.
    GM - pleased you had a great Christmas with the family; must be really hard leaving and going back to work.
    Had to cut this morning's run short when I stopped to chat with a dog-walker for a while as I had some shopping to do before Mrs GD took the car for work. So 7.5 slow miles for me. Now off to prep a couple of dishes to stick in the slow cookers ready to share with some friends this evening. Still 38 hours or more to fit in a few more miles this year!

• Options

Day off today and then parkrun Saturday and double parkrun on Sunday: two local events stagger their New Year start so one at 9:00 and one at 10:30 and it is only 4 miles between so we start at one, jog to the other, parkrun, jog back, parkrun again for about 14 miles easy.

Was moaning about the lack of route planning on my new Forerunner 230 and then discovered there is a whole world of apps out there that add stuff onto the device, so I can now plan a route on Garmin Connect, upload it to my watch and get a sketch of my route as I run.

• Options

Jealous of your parkruns PMJ. Here we have one at 9am and one 5 and a bit miles away at 10am so just not quite enough time to run between them.

• Options

Speedy, come on! parkrun in say 20 minutes leaves you 40 minutes for 5 and a bit, easy going! Even if you miss the start by a few minutes it doesn't matter. I have a friend who is looking at trying 3 in West London (bike between) which is supposedly illegal according to the powers that be.

• Options

My best at Gedling parkrun is 20.46, and that's when I was fit. It's a monster. I reckon 23 minutes at best at the moment. My friends will be slower, plus it never starts on time. We'll likely be leaving Gedling at 9.40. By the time we got to Colwick, having already killed ourselves on the Gedling course, and running at their pace, we'd arrive about 10.20 and the faster runners will have finished already! Then we'd have to run back again, up a massive hill. No, I think driving is the way to go! We'll have to park around a mile away from each one due to tiny car parks and car park charges I refuse to pay, so will still get 10 miles in. 

• Options

GM - glad you had a great time. I haven't been to Paris for a while, but it's a wonderful city - just love it.

OO - can younger Lorenzito keep up with me on the long runs? I'm afraid it's the other way around, especially on the uphill parts that he goes up like a mountain goat while I shift the gears into plod mode! image As for the sprint finish, best not to ask.

Gul - great stuff over the course of 2016. You should be proud of what you've achieved.

Intervals session (5 x 600m) for me on Weds, followed by 7.5 miles yesterday and a rest day today.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sad to hear you are not home this Xmas Speedy image

Gul that is indeed a mighty effort and impressive yearly total.

I just did my last run of 2016 landing at 2252 miles for the year, a record by 2 miles. It's been a mixed running year, Started well enough with a V50 10k PB and 20 mile lifetime PB, both on the way to VLM. VLM itself was the start of the slide missing a sub 3 hours by seconds, then disappointing times in most of my other races through the year. A few rays of hope with a sub 18 parkrun in the summer and more recently a course PB at Saltwell 10k in December. I also completed 3 marathons (my highest in a year) and that new mileage record. And saw junior glide past me and into the distance... 

In summary it will go down as a below par year. It remains to be seem if it's just the steady decline of old age or a bad patch that is now passing. Looking forward to my first race on 1st Jan and VLM 2017 training thereafter image

• Options

A "below par year" but you still beat me at least 3 times in smackdowns image May as well hang up the trainers.

• Options

There's nothing there for me now OO, just a house that needs emptying. I drove up yesterday (took 6 hours as the A1 was shut and the diversion couldn't cope), spent two hours filling bags and boxes and the bin, mostly from my old bedroom, then another 4 hours driving back here. Everything hurts today. I hate driving!

Below par would be a polite way to describe my 2016. And a massive understatement. Can't wait for it to be over!

• Options

PMJ enjoy the new watch and all the stats it will give you image

Speedy welcome back ,hope your health is improving these days and allowing a comeback and better times ahead image

Lorenz nice reps 

0053 a good enough year there finishing strong.

Poacher no chance of you hanging up the trainers !

I've had a good enough year after spending the last 7 months of 2015 unable to run at all ,having an operation on my knee in Nov and just  of crutches at the start of the year and about able to walk again.

March to August I was doing about 150m a month and ran a few races  but no pb's and only since October have things started to come together after a crap half in sept and mileage up to 250/month.

1940m as of today most in the last half of the year and looking forward to a good 2017 image

• Options

PMJ - enjoy the double parkrun. This year my shortest month was 146.2 in May, which consisted of tapering for the White Peak marathon and then recovering!
    Speedy - you've had a really rough time; here's hoping 2017 will be a good year for you.
    Lorenzo - intervals between Christmas and New Year - that's dedication!
    OO - plenty of positives too in a mixed year.
    Leslie - you're all set for a cracking 2017; just hope you don't over do it!
    So final run of the year was a bit of a whimper. 6.5 miles @ 8:49 m/m, but brought me to 2,650 in 15 days 11 hours 40 minutes and 52 seconds giving an average pace of just under 8:25 m/m. Just need to make 2017 the year I finally crack the marathon! All the best to each and every one of you lovely folks.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind words, Gerry. Paris is a very special place for me. I am glad it sounds like you had a wonderful time with family.  Your son is lucky to have such a doting dad.

OO - you are such an inspirational runner I think you are too hard on yourself.  I will be chasing after you at VLM again next year, I bet!

Speedy - tough times but I hope 2017 can feel more optimistic for you.

Leslie - after a tricky start to the year you have definitely come back strong.  2017 will be a good one for you with that comeback.  What are your goals?

Gul - I think believing in yourself will help you "crack" the marathon.  You certainly have it in you.

Lorenzo - am looking forward to my first foray into ultra running with you this summer.

An easy 16 miler today with the dog @7:32 min/mi. finishing with a sub-7 min mile. Whenever I take the out and back route along the Downs Link it gives me a nice opportunity to let the legs flow without worrying about turning an ankle.  I hope Manchester is a nice uncomplicated route!

Happy new year to you all.  Looking forward to a 2017 full of running and good cheer.

• Options

2016 all done, total was 2,249.55 miles (shall we say that is 2,250?) in 12 days, 3 hours and 24 minutes and 20 seconds at an average pace of 7:46 per mile. June was my shortest month with 144 and March my longest with 246.

Nice parkrun this morning: long warm up of over 3 miles and then less than 5 minutes before parkrun itself and 19:21 for my fastest parkrun of the year! Started steady and was swamped by enthusiastic youngsters so I was back in maybe 30th place at the first turn but they all faded quickly and by 1km I was in about 10th place and worked my way up through to 6th by the end.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! Sorry I've not been on, Christmas has been hectic. I'll read back soon.

A few good runs this week including a 10 miler at 6.57 pace and a lovely 7 miler in Dorset along the Purbeck Ridge at 8.15 pace but with 745 feet of uphill.

Today was a 15 mile MLR but with a slight difference. I met a mate at the Lesuire Centre at 07.15 and we ran the first 12 miles at 7.29 pace. We then ran the parkrun at the same pace to make the 15 miles.

The reason for this approach was because a week ago today one of our club members, a V70 runner was tragically run over and killed while out with a running group on Christmas Eve. We got as many club members together at the Woking parkrun in order to honour Dave. We all wore the bright orange (Tango) club vest, spectators joined in with the colour support and we all did our man proud.
    RIP Dave.

That was my final run of the year, my best running year to date. 1650 miles, 2 x mara PBs (London 3.11 - Berlin 3.09), a HM PB (Surrey 1.27) and PBs at all other distances.

Thanks for being such a great bunch, your tales of success, failure, approach to running and numerous running tales are entertaining and inspirational.

Happy New Year, Gang!

GD

• Options

Good for you G-Dawg - sounds as though it was a very emotional parkrun for all concerned. It's been a great year for you for PBs

Looking forward to our Ultra adventure MsE - did the dog managed to keep up with you on the final mile?!

Leslie - you're in great shape at the moment so hopefully this will continue and you'll have an injury-free 2017.

Gul - I'm in no doubt that you will crack the marathon in 2017, if you a. relax on the day and b. believe in yourself and trust the training that you will have put in. Great mileage over the year.

Brutal 16K for me this morning - a route at one of the Army training areas in Hampshire with a fantastic mix of trails and steep ups and downs together with a few waist high and a couple of chest high water sections to wade through. Definitely not one for a PB but great fun, especially on the second lap of the two. I paced it very sensibly and I reckon I got a negative split - I wasn't passed by anyone after about 5K and ended up finishing in 25th place so a good way to finish the running year.

/members/images/226395/Gallery/Brutal_Dec_16.jpg

Total mileage for me: 2,342 in 13 days, 1 hour, 54 mins so an average pace of 8:03; highest mileage month was March with 269; lowest was August with, er, 52 although there were 300 miles on the bike that month.

PBs in the marathon (3:06:27) and also in terms of the furthest I've run in a day (111km) so I'd give the year 8 out of 10. Have now just got to work out what to do to go sub-3 in VLM 2017.

Happy New Year to everyone out there - here's to a successful 2017.

• Options
    Lorenz Ho Ho Ho wrote (see)

Have now just got to work out what to do to go sub-3 in VLM 2017.

Don't think about it, just do it. Analysis paralysis.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Hi all, and a slightly premature happy new year to the thread!

Lots going on over Christmas it seems, so just to pick out Speedy - great to see you back on here, and wishing you a far happier 2017 - and some incredible yearly stats being posted by the likes of Gul, PMJ, Lorenzo, Leslie and GD.

Nothing comparable here; just under 1600 for the year, which is about 15 short of my record set last year. But I finished week 4 of P&D this morning with a 15, bringing up 43 for the week across the 5 prescribed runs (5, 8 inc 10x100 strides, 10, 5 and that 15). Glad to have fitted that all in to help compensate for the over-eating and drinking!

Enjoy this evening, whatever you have planned.