Options

fat with an achilles injury

I am a beginner doing really well. Last Sunday 11K with a short fuel break between 5 and 6K. Following The RW break 2:00 plan- Friday- goal 4 miles in 42 min- did it in 39 min- really pleased. Twitch in my left ankle- feeling it after- could hardly walk yesterday- icing and rest- a bit better today. I cant run- I am stupid - too much too soon? Looked up optimal weight for runners- have discovered I am really fat image   5'4'' - 51 kilos) 112 lbs- should be at least 108 - 102 optimal= I have to loose about - 8 - 10 lbs- Today starting to follow the 5:2 diet plan. So here I am hurt, bored, ice on my heel, cant run, depressed and fat. Dramatic! Almost in tears- injured its not fair and fat- how can I get down to 48 kilos?

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Well all runners get injured and new runners get injured more so join the club, you just have to accept it and not get stressed and try and do too much too soon.

51kg isn't fat so cross that off your list, you may still be hurt, bored and depressed though!   

• Options

Hi-I don't know if I should see that as very positive but also rather obvious advice though appreciate that you took the time to respond! Yes, I am still hurt, bored, depressed and now obsessed with my weight. I cant get out to buy food so that makes some of the situation worthwhile!

• Options

So, is it okay to go for a bit of a walk or just rest completely?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You were doing really well. Them you started moaning about your weight and claiming you are 'really fat.' Lost you there. 

Rest Ice Compression Elevation for your injury.  In the meantime try something non impact like spinning or swimming just to keep things ticking over until you can run pain free again

• Options

Blimey, if you're fat I'm dangerously obese at a whopping 53 kilos (also 5'4). Are you sure that wasn't 'theoretical ideal optimum weight for really, really serious elite long-distance runners'? Because it turns out that even at my enormous size I can just about break 2 hours for a half.

Re. the injury, if it hurts to walk, then you can't run. Wait till it doesn't hurt to walk, then build back up with some powerwalking before you start reintroducing short jogs. Then if that doesn't hurt, you can run again.

• Options

Thank you for taking the time to make a bunch of really sarcastic comments. If you think you are obese then maybe you are and good for you if being so obese you can run as well as you can- good for you. I don't think I need to have this up here any longer. I will assume that anyone with anything helpful, encouraging or intelligent to say is out today.

• Options

FFS. Okay, the non-sarcastic version is you're not fat, I'm not fat, I'm quite good at running, and you shouldn't run if it hurts to walk. I recommend going to a physio and not losing any more weight.

• Options

Thank you and my reply is that I am an ambitious perfectionist or I wouldn't be injured at the moment attempting to follow a half marathon training plan - going beyond the planned outcomes. I have had Achilles problems before on my right and did see the doctor- and  he recommended  a week off and I am also doing eccentric heel drops again but his time it is worse. I am just trying to do what I can to prevent it from re occurring all the time whenever I increase training. I do  think however that I should loose a bit of weight. I am really small boned and that does have a factor. I am sure also that you have a lot more muscle.

• Options

Losing too much weight and trying to train beyond your current level won't lead to a better outcome, they'll just lead (as you are finding) to injury and fatigue. Can you try and channel the perfectionism into doing it properly? i.e. accept that it'll take years to reach your potential in races, and that you need to build up to it slowly. And that you need to maintain your body weight to minimise the risk of stress fractures and anaemia (that will stop you from running fast)?

• Options

Lit is right.

A minor running injury is the least of your problems if you weight 51kg at 5 ft 4 and think you are "really fat".

If anything your weight is on the low side for your height. You need to get to grips with your "perfectionism" before it turns into exercise addiction and/or an eating disorder.

• Options

Do any of your actually red Runners World? Oh for heavens sake. Don't be an idiot and I certainly don't need such really idiotic advice. Do you think I wouldn't eat well if I plan to run a half? I am really getting fed up with all the really stupid comments. I eat really really well first of all probably better than most people so don't even go there. Secondly, grow up. How old are you? I really don't think that someone my age would have an eating disorder. How did we get to that conclusion? The last time and only time I posted something on here I got really good comments and I could here too like some other advice or a discussion about slimming down and speeding up.

Read Runners World July and August issues. I really have had it now with there really inane response. Like I said before obviously anyone with half a brain is not looking at the site today.

• Options

You came on here asking for advice  - and got it  from some very experienced runners. Literatin  in particular is a very good runner and know's what she's talking about. 

If you don't like the advice you don't have to take it but that's up to you.

Al I did was quote your  own words back to you. You said "I'm really fat" when the fact is that you are not fat at all. And if you genuinely believe that you have a major problem with your perception.

BTW Runner's World magazine - lots of people here don't read it. Many used to but don't anymore. They made the most of what it had to offer years ago and learned the rest of what they know about running from doing it - not reading about it. 

• Options

I wasn't going to comment but Kate your reaction to the perfectly good advice you have been given here is over the top.

You are not fat. If you google the healthy weight charts you will see that you ate actually at the very low end for your height.

Age is irrelevant. People can have eating disorders at any age. Ask yourself why you have reacted in the way you have. 

Most experienced runners don't read RW because it is a waste of money

You have been given good advice. Take it or leave it but don't be rude to people that have taken  time to try to help you

• Options

First of all, what I said I noted as being a bit dramatic as in a sarcastic way.

Secondly, I haven't got any advice at all about Achilles tendonitis. All I can see is several rather catty  types have focused on the weight issue and nothing else. I still read Runners World because there is more to it than just hints and tips-which we could all use- and it seems both you and the other could because you don't seem to have much to say about injuries. I also read Runners World to keep up to date with upcoming runs and other events  and if you think that you don't need to learn anymore than you are obviously what you come across as- an opinionated person without much to say. You also take it for granted that I have never done anything athletic because I have been running for very long. Running isn't the only sport. I am not going to leave this with you and put you on my members that are annoying me list.

• Options

I don't read Runner's World.

Edit: and I gave you some advice about injury.

• Options

Lay off. Advice? A bunch of bullies obsessed with what I said about my weight. Do you think I haven't look at the bmi charts years ago? I have a great body, I am in great shape it was a comment in relation to the fact that I was feeling crappy today.

I am off this thread now so talk among yourselves. I will add you to my annoying list as well.

• Options

Oh forgot to say Meow!!

• Options

I think the weight comments were probably in response to where you put 'do I need to loose (sic) weight?' as a question in the sub-heading to the thread.

• Options
    Kate5 wrote (see)

First of all, what I said I noted as being a bit dramatic as in a sarcastic way.

Secondly, I haven't got any advice at all about Achilles tendonitis. All I can see is several rather catty  types have focused on the weight issue and nothing else. I still read Runners World because there is more to it than just hints and tips-which we could all use- and it seems both you and the other could because you don't seem to have much to say about injuries. I also read Runners World to keep up to date with upcoming runs and other events  and if you think that you don't need to learn anymore than you are obviously what you come across as- an opinionated person without much to say. You also take it for granted that I have never done anything athletic because I have been running for very long. Running isn't the only sport. I am not going to leave this with you and put you on my members that are annoying me list.

Who is "taking it for granted" you have never done anything athletic?  Nobody is saying anything of the sort.

Oh and the injury - Apple Crumble gave you the right advice. What else do you want people to say?

Bit more advice for you - shut gob and open ears.

• Options

Kate- as you say you're a perfectionist, perhaps I can offer a way of looking at this... perfection would be matching your training load to your ability.  I think you are overreaching your current ability.

I don't think you are overweight at all.  Are you skinny/ fat? (look it up it's not an insult-).  Perhaps a coach (running or even life coach?) can help you work towards your goals.

In my opinion, running doesn't reward those with a short term outlook.  If you work at it sensibly, you can get better with each year, for the best part of 10 years before you plateau.

Don't be too harsh on the people here Kate, they're a good bunch and they'll help you if you let them.  Don't be so hard on yourself either image

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Popping in to offer some Achilles related advice, and stay away from anything weightier.

I wrote the following to another Achilles sufferer and it proved helpful:

Re your Achilles, I wouldn’t want you to end up where I ended up, i.e. having an op!

The general advice now seems NOT to run on grass unless it is quite firm: the ankle/calf/Achilles have to do more work.  Ideally you should run on shale/cinders/gravel, apparently, and road is better than soft grass. Usually with an Achilles problem there is an underlying problem, particularly the calf not being strong enough. Post Achilles op I learned all sorts of things that might have avoided the knife. The two key exercises that seem to work are:

1.       Get a small sponge ball (the stress ball type) and squeeze it between your ankle bones. Then raise upon tip toes, bend knees and go down into a squat position (still on tip toes), up again to full stretch, and then down. That is one rep! To help balance look straight ahead and focus on a point (I used to look at the kitchen clock...until I knocked the wall down!).

2.       Alfredson’s protocol:  unusually there was a good article about this in RW! The key point of this exercise (google and you will find you-tube clips) is that it is supposed to hurt! If it doesn’t then you should add weights. Also you need to do 15 on each leg three times a day: 180 reps! (A Team GB athletics doctor told me that the article was sound for those who are cynical about RW, and that includes me!)

The other thing to note is that the Achilles is notoriously poor at responding to either ice or heat as there is a very limited blood supply.

I hope that this is of use!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What a brilliant thread.

I know I'm male but at 5'6" and 72 kgs I must be morbidly obese.
  • Options

I slightly wish I hadn't just had a bowl of ice cream now.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Stop bullying people. 

You Fatties

;)

• Options

Perhaps I was missing something but I didn't get a memo that said we were allowed to talk about the  injury but that we should ignore the fat bit, so I kind of assumed it was up for comment. Especially since it was in the title.

Mind you, I would have thought a perfectionist would have used an upper case "F"...

• Options

I reckon the race weight guides are bollocks.  They give me a BMI of 17ish.  I've been that light, and was bonking walking 100yrds to the letter box.  I certainly wasn't running!

I know nothing about achilles problems, but would always advise consulting a physio/sports medicine bod rather than your GP.  Standard GP advice for any running injury is stop running.  Unhelpful, although less dangerous than advising starving yourself til you break down.  

(5'5" and 56kg.  Ultra runner, although quite how I get my vast weight up the hills I have no idea.  And there's millionaires shortbread in the kitchen.)

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

my boss snapped his achilles tendon playing squash. His consultant told him a lot of blockes of certain age do that. Middle age crisis - Late drive to get fit -  and then the heart/lungs 'out-fitness' the tendons and joints. ANything that involves lunges and changes of direction is high risk for these chaps. (football, racket sports especially).

I stuck to swimming and running after that, and gave the weekly 5 a side the red card.

Anyway-

1) ballerinas weigh in in the low 40s to low 50s range. I suspect elite female distance runners are in the middle of that bracket, but both disciples would rightly focus on body composition rathger than simple weight.  Either way those numbers are basically irrelevant for a novice runner who hasnt been coached and built up in this kind of thing since childhood.

2) A perfectionist would focus on body fat percentage rather than slavishly looking at bathroom scales and BMI. Making weight by having no muscle and dehydrating yourself would leve you 'skinnyfat,' feeling awful, too weak to run and bascially looking like crap. 

3) had a brilliant Spiced Apple Crumble yesterday. Bourbon custard too. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That's the problem with obese sub-3 marathoners.  They're such a bunch of sarcastic bastards..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Wow what a thread, starting complaining about an ankle, then it's suddenly achilles tendonitis. All while showing a very worrying fixation on weight

Then pure arrogance in asking for advice, getting it off runners who know their stuff, and getting uppity and claiming that all the good posters aren't around!

If i didn't know better i'd say this was a notorious poster from 4-5 years ago who made a habit of such behaviour.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think my right leg weighs 51kg.  But I've not had an Achilles injury issue with it since 2007.