Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Seeman- . that half mara pb of yours must be the softest on the thread! .

my parkrun PB of 18.09 and 5 mile PB of 27.09 disagree image

but i do agree SS half will get smashed soon

SS- are you at trafford for a 3000 on tuesday?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ok, looks like we actually have a sh!tload of soft pbs on this thread.

except for erm...me...whistles uncomfortably.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, is your 27:09 5 mile PB softer than my 27:38 PB?  I've beaten that on a tempo run, and in at least two half marathons.

Simon, our club had free entries for BUPA London 10K, as we do every year, and we didn't do the 12-stage, so it's not connected to that. Maybe it's based on membership numbers.

Reps last night in the park.  Just for Andrew G's sake, I did them with a bumbag.  400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 600, 800, so total 6600 at 5K pace - average pace 4:58, all with 200 recoveries.  Tough but enjoyable session, and the glute issue didn't occur at all, which is the benefit of not doing it on the track.  Race on Monday then probably need to take a bit of a down week next week to avoid overcooking it.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hope you didn't let anyone see you Dachs image. Great session that by the way! Why that order though? Seems complicated!

SG - cross posted earlier, that also sounds like a pretty tough session. You're getting very fond of that track to spend 35mins blasting round it!

• Options

Nice work Dachs, SC, SG & SS. Maybe the bumbag buckle added some compression to the glute - something to consider for Monday?

DeanR7 wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Seeman- . that half mara pb of yours must be the softest on the thread! .

my parkrun PB of 18.09 and 5 mile PB of 27.09 disagree image

but i do agree SS half will get smashed soon

*Ahem* 19:04 parkrun & 1:38 HM. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep Dachs, what the fark is that? Like some sort of pyramid, but for someone who couldn't remember what bit they were on? Do you just make up what you fancy in the recovery?

Bus - I think i just like the 100% safety element. Loops and rampages across town were decent, but you were only ever 1 idiot in a car away from terminal discombobulation.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My bumbag can be disguised by a decent length t-shirt.  It's what I need to resort to when I have to do my session as part of the run home from work, to carry keys, work ID card, phone.

It goes up and down like a mountain range.  It ain't that complicated.  A pyramid session is exactly what it is, but it has two and a half pyramids (wanted to end on a long rep).

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

S'pose not - just looked complicated to my simple , 0.5M rep habit brain image

I have the same bum bag issue with my run to work. There was a time when in the winter I'd also pack a down jacket and emergency trousers in it. Couldn't hide that one under a t-shirt!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have been known to do tempo runs with a backpack on: what a twat.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It's a bit like the Alternative Vote Referendum.  If someone tells you it's complicated, you assume it is.

The No to AV campaign spent so much time relentlessly telling everyone how complicated it was and that no one would understand it, that lots of people didn't even bother looking at it and assumed they were right.  AV is in fact not complicated in the slightest for voters - you just rank your candidates in order.  If you can't manage that, you don't deserve a vote.  The people who it would be complicated for are the pundits, pollsters and politicians trying to second guess the result, who funnily enough were the exact same people telling you to vote No in the first place.

Sorry, that rant is totally off topic and about 4 years out of date.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Still more contemporaneous and relevant than some of mine!

Lit-that is character building rather than a fashion faux pas though!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Only if it had bricks in. Or bottles of Buckfast.

• Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

Only if it had bricks in. Or bottles of Buckfast.

My run today ended up with me carrying 6 bottles of wine: is that close enough to buckfast?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Only if you've never drunk Buckfast.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Road session for me starting at 6:45am. Windy and cold, and on a 1.25 mile stretch that included a couple of longish drags.

2 mile warm up and then cranked out 40 seconds on, 20 seconds rest. Each rep was started where the previous one had finished so a few yards backtracking required.

Nailed 5 miles with the 41st effort. Waited for the moment I'd start to flag at. It never happened! 2 mile wd. Instant recovery, which was handy. Gut feeling that this was the best session I've ever had. Never felt tired at all. Weird.

Seems some students at Bath Uni have twigged my efforts on Strava. One went all out to beat my 9 mile loop time (I was running easy) and was nearly 3 minutes up after two miles (I'm not risking my neck racing down that hill). Only a couple of minutes up at the end, due to not being able to blast the big hill (Bathwick) at the end.

Dachs knows this hill. And I'm sure if he had a go at it, it's safe to say that Mr mountain racer who holds top spot can say goodbye to that.

I say that as I suspect Dachs could take more than 50 seconds out of me in 1.9 km.

And because by comparison I'm crap!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

My bumbag can be disguised by a decent length t-shirt.  It's what I need to resort to when I have to do my session as part of the run home from work, to carry keys, work ID card, phone.

It goes up and down like a mountain range.  It ain't that complicated.  A pyramid session is exactly what it is, but it has two and a half pyramids (wanted to end on a long rep).

The Bus wrote (see)

S'pose not - just looked complicated to my simple , 0.5M rep habit brain image

I have the same bum bag issue with my run to work. There was a time when in the winter I'd also pack a down jacket and emergency trousers in it. Couldn't hide that one under a t-shirt!

literatin wrote (see)

I have been known to do tempo runs with a backpack on: what a twat.

There was some crash outside work at lunch, and some woman at work posted the photo.

Didn't even notice I was captured right amongst the 5 ambulances/police cars in my ahem...usual running gear...basically trainers and shorts!

ps, no it wasn't the horror of my weasley build that caused the crash before anyone asks.

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)
    Seems some students at Bath Uni have twigged my efforts on Strava. One went all out to beat my 9 mile loop time (I was running easy) and was nearly 3 minutes up after two miles (I'm not risking my neck racing down that hill). Only a couple of minutes up at the end, due to not being able to blast the big hill (Bathwick) at the end.

I keep getting emails about losing KOM's I never had. Seems someone is creating new segments along routes that I have used when cycling very easy. Hardly a KOM to be proud of.

I think last night's TT may have scuppered Monday's PB attempt. Getting the excuses in early image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they turn out to be the best races Iron when you least expect it. Seems whenever I race fresh I'm shit and whenever I think I'm going to run shit I go well image

Bit annoyed that my long recce has been cancelled due to the other fellas uni work. Got a text at 10.30 last night and was due to pick him up at 6.30am. Id completely changed my training this week due to doing the recce and wrote off doing a race etc. Just two short threshold runs this week so an easier week won't do any harm I suppose.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a bit annoying Matt!

A rather hung-over parkrun for me this morning after last nights birthday drinks turned into a bit of a session (all relative of course - nothing like the old days!). So after several beers and grazing on buffet food rather than a proper meal, rounded off with a very ill-conceived and overly large Laphroaig, I wasn't even expecting to get up, let alone do a parkrun!

Still woke up at 8, fell out of bed before thinking what I was doing, into the car and down to the Rye. The warm up was hideous and I felt sick - I almost headed back to the car! But actually, once we got off I was OK, and surprisingly did a reasonable time off 18:10 - my 2nd fastest on that course.  A bit of company helped, as did the firm and cool conditions but most pleasingly the legs felt fine, even if the guts didn't!

One thing though - the number of people running with dogs seems to be getting larger all the time, and they all seem to want to get a quick start, which is causing a few issues - I nearly tripped over one large hound on the first bend as it tried to go straight on rather than turn left! Perhaps we should call it barkrun....

• Options

Are you still pissed Bus image Good effort under the circumstances.

I ran with daughter today at Bracknell, easy effort for me and 2 minutes off her PB so very proud of her. ~10mi including running there and back(ish).

Matt - I agree with what you've said. Everytime I have PB'd I haven't felt fresh at all. I'm normally stressed and running late too, and get minimal warmup. Shame about the plans for today, a bit of extra rest never hurt anyone.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Was there an AV referendum, must have blocked that out. Nice to be reminded the fanny packs are still in use. I have to lug a massive backpack to work on my back these days, makes going up Whitley Wood hill fun with one gear.

Never heard of Buckfast.

Nice Parkrun Bus, although when I checked you'd been credited with 18:52!

Just an easy 5 with strides for me today, maybe 4 tomorrow and 26 on Monday image.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

18:52 my arse! Must be some mistake - will contact them!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Can I drive the morning after drinking alcohol?

How you could be getting into your car over the drink drive limit without even realising.

I read this on Google after reading your post Bus.

Interesting.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't fret - I wasn't over the drink drive limit! I have breath test kits in my car left from driving to France and checked this morning. On top of the road safety aspect, in my job it would look very bad if I was done for drink driving!

Anyway, my last drink was before 10.30, and like I said, it was a relatively big session rather than a proper big session - I can't do them the way I used to, which is probably just as well!

• Options

bus, the results show a girl at 18:10: were you chicked? image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, nice 18.52 image 

Made me bother to check the results for once, noticed that girl in the same time Bus reckons he did. But she has some pretty good PO10 times, so it doesn't necessarily stand out as just a switch over of names?

Bus, any idea?

Wycombe go into the dreaded playoffs. Means after 9months of the season, you end up battling teams you've done better than over a game or 2.

Plymouth away, Saturday 7.45pm.

Hmmm...might have to watch that one on tv.

• Options
    Could be tokens in the wrong order. I'm sure they offered Bus a refund.

I used some of those French breath test kits recently after a long night in Cardiff. Very useful.

Plymouth is a long way. I haven't ever done a there and back in one day.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Did Exeter and back on a Tuesday night. Think it was about 3:40 or so of travel time, and another hour or so of hanging around at random service stations letting the driver have a break and us a wander.

That was a 2am return. And Plymouth has got to be another 40miles further on.

I get to see close up why your average footy supporter isn't exactly in fit shape. Hours sitting, into a pub, junk food, hours sitting, junk food, booze. Repeat that 50 times a season and you're only going one way.

• Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    Plymouth is a long way. I haven't ever done a there and back in one day.

I've done more for business but not for pleasure. I did Newcastle one day: up at the crack and 300 odd miles to be there mid morning, sorted out by lunch-time and 300 or so back. I've done further in a day (down across Europe) but not out and back. I have done Exeter and back by 11 in the morning as #1 daughter was there for uni so pick up days I would leave early, pick her up and back without losing a whole day.

• Options
    I didn't include flying in that. Glasgow and Dublin used to be frequent offenders.

I have driven Manchester and back and a full work day in the middle, but never again.

One way and work is more common. Durham used to be a good one for that.