Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Local info. The classic 13 miler starts at Shell Bay, along Studland Bay to South Beach. Then follow the trails to Old Harry, inland along the ridge with the two big hills, back down the golf course, past the rock, join the road back to the ferry. In the summer, straight in the sea ;)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sorry about your friend Simon. A nice walk in a lovely place in his memory would seem a fitting tribute to him. I'm assuming he ran across the place at some point in your personal history.

🙂

• Options
    Thanks Ric - I did, but we mainly did hikes/walks etc. And a bit of bog jumping - which we got told off about ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice tribute Simon.
    Nothing quite like a school pal going to give you a real shock.

About 4-5 years ago, I was stopped in my tracks scrolling down FB, when the wife/brother of a primary school pal reported he'd gone. 
    Brought on a couple of re-unions
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    In less important in the scheme of things stuff, i dug through the 2012 training I've been adapting, and found a session I only did the once! Fancied it today

3 x (1mile HMP, 30secs, 1/2m 800m 2mins)

Aiming for 1.28 a lap HMP, and 1.23 for the 10k.

Nice little turnout, pretty much averaged bang on

(1.28-1.27-1.28-1.27)  1.22-1.24
    (1.27-1.29-1.27-1.27)  1.23-1.22
    (1.26-1.27-1.28-1.26)  1.23-1.22

Decent little session. By the time I as a lap or 2 into the HMP, I was looking forward to smacking the 10k laps out, and at "Only" 2 laps it felt a little rampage.
    Although by 10k lap 2 of rep 3 it felt quite a hard effort and only 1 sec under target!
  • Options
    Reg Wand said:
    Think I did try listening to marathon talk on a run once and it was all I had downloaded, ended up just turning it off as it was so boring and one of the guys was quite irritating. 
    I bet it was Tom.

Martin Yelling https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=1812 is a former middle distance runner with a decent pedigree. He has the conventional athletic club background and has done a few marathons (2:48) so he has the background to talk to athletes. He doesn't take himself too seriously and has been seen at Poole parkrun with a  double buggy on the front row and still running sub-17. 

Tom Williams https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=182781is a former ironman triathlete (9:24) and has also done a decent marathon (2:49) but he loves his soapbox.
  • Options

Simon - Sorry to hear about your mate, looks like a fitting tribute though.
    SG - That looks a big session! Looks like you are tuning up well for Wokingham!
    Reg- Hows the calf? Do you know what causes it?
    Joe - That looks a decent XC turnout to me! Good luck with the new job

Diagnosed with a grade one calf tear by the physio last night. She thinks I should be back running in 2 weeks max, got loads of exercises to do to strengthen the calves and glutes. In the meantime I'll be sticking the bike on the turbo trainer and doing some sessions on there.

• Options
    Yes it's definitely not the Yelling bloke, Phil, he is claiming a 2:49 marathon time from 2:49:57. Decent Ironman triathlon time, probably what I would have done if Italy hadn't been longer than the normal distance. This is why 'proper' triathletes should never claim PBs, the courses are all too different.

Nice pics Si, I have been to Studland bay I think, my sister had her boat moored there once.

Stevie, calf seem ok thanks, I have a feeling it's more of a DOMS type thing from the fast running that I am not used to.  Good news on the grade one tear.

I have a 38 minute tempo in the plan for tomorrow and another long progression run at the weekend. I am tempted to do the cross country for the tempo on Sunday and switch the long run to Friday. Maybe I should stick to the plan though.

• Options
    Blimey that was a long read.
    Looks like a lovely day for a walk SC & decent racing at XC from yourself & Joe.
    Take it the calf has survived the 17.5M then Reg as you're considering the tempo session. If you're doing XC Sunday I'd definitely switch.
    Decent double today after a recovery day - just double bike & swim.
    8M along the canal with 15x0.1M efforts off 0.15M recovery. Pace was averaging about 7:10 for the effort+recovery. Backed that up with a MT hard hilly 5M at lunch. Easy running til the weekend now when I'll be parkrunning Saturday then smashing Speedway 10K in Chepstow Sunday. Still places available. Cash prizes for top 3 & 1st in age cat. https://sites.google.com/view/speedway10k

• Options
    SG - ha, it’s actually not that brand. One of the other big ones. Tasty tempo session. Looking good.

Simon - some great pictures, awesome setting.

Stevie - glad to hear it’s nothing too serious. Rest up and get on that bike!

Reg - playing it as modest as ever. I heard Italy was actually a short course. Doubt you’d have been under 10.

Jooligan - good luck for Sunday, sure you’re going to fly mate. 

Fortunately, barista training is only a part time job so still plenty of time for proper training this week. 1 hour swim and 8 mile run this morning, now just polishing off 14x1 min hard on the bike (on my cool down). I’ve found in the past the hard bike sessions have really complimented my running well so hoping for a similar effect.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The Bus said:
    SG - oddly, after our chat about EOG and Cliveden a couple of days ago, I've just found some old RW chat between you and I about the actual event from 2010/11 - certainly rolled back the years, but we sounded (even more so!) like a right couple of chumps! I can barely even remember the conversation!

Nah, legends, as always.

Although I read some of my early posts as a mid 20s kid, as opposed to the super suave gent I am now a decade later, and do think, what the heck.

I had to delete a whole bunch of FB Pms from a decade ago. It was a right old mix of flirting, angst and ludicrous terminology.

Ok the latter at least remains now..

The time has flown by since the start of the decade though. That's one reason why I pour over every detail and try and capture the memories in both massive report and photo format. The yearly running album on my fb is something I love dipping into every so often. Ealing was lucky that they had so many tonneloads of photos to start the year with a bang!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's one advantage of being old - there is no evidence f anything I said or did in my 20s :smile:

Joe - it takes training to make a cup of coffee? :wink:

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    If you want to see something incredible, take a look at the live tacking of the Spine Race. 280 miles up the Pennines. Jasmin Paris (Ladies Bob Graham record holder) is in the lead on 211 miles. Incredible enough in its own right, but she's also a new mum and the last thing she did before setting off from Edale was breast feed her baby!
  • Options
    Phenomenal indeed Bus. Guy I know did the 175K 'Challenger' at the w/e - the weather was horrific. The winner was blown off his feet twice on Pen-y-Ghent.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jim Mann - new record time for the Challenger event I think (despite the weather!) :smile:

These guys are made of different stuff I think!

• Options
    Joe, I am surprised that your UK IM race was ratified as a Kona qualifier, given it was pretty much a middle distance race :)

There's a chance I'll never get into that kind of IM shape again (without a divorce) so I would have liked it to have been short, I guess I will just have to explain to my grandchildren how the bike was actually about 140 miles long. Or something.

I am pondering your advice now Jools.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Record by over 2hrs Bus! Have you been watching the daily roundups?
    Gives the calf a bit longer to recover too Reg
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Given your grumpy mood with your Mrs yesterday, you may be able to get in IM shape sooner than you planned then Reg :smiley:

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah you triathlon boys with your banter.

It's funny, if you tried any of that stuff on with me, i'd be like, yeah you are right, if not being too generous ;)

Although I think I overdid the self depreciation bit before the Handy Cross XC. And definitely overdid the examining of the course profile. I was rucked before I even turned up!!

ps Jools, I've not read much from you, but I'm pretty certain you're a bit of an animal :D

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Bits on Grough Jools, but checking the tracker whenever work allows (not much today :frowning: ). I've been a fan of Jasmin ever since her incredible BGR!
  • Options
    I've always been a bit too awesome for self-deprecation.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ok, so having mulled over Jools' advice, I decided to do what Jools would do and do the tempo :D.

It was certainly less than awesome pace-wise but I seemed to have come through it unscathed. I am icing the achilles as a precautionary measure as I write this though.  That's the longest LT run done but pace was way off. According to the book I should be aiming at 5:40-5:50 off a 17:00 5k time. I managed 6:09 average and a slightly disappointing 6.17 miles covered.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Was that a continuous 6miles, or as reps?
    The pace sounds ferocious! 

When I did the Daniels VDOT stuff, off my 17.00 5k it asked 5.52-4 ish n for threshold reps, and 6.02-6.06 for 5-6miles continuous.

So to ask 5.40-5.50 seems a real ask for a continuous 6miler, when we're basing it off the same 5k time? Which plan is this?

Imagine if you were trying to work it off your actual 5k pb time!!

Either way, sounds a good workout! By Daniels standards in and around what you're after.
    I think you made the right decision doing it as a solo tempo, rather than through the XC race.

It builds strengty mentally, and it'd be hard to judge the right effort at Tadley, as the paces would be all over the place, the competitive urge would be hard to resist, and it's shorter than you want anyway! Reading or Datchet courses would probably have worked better, both on profile and distance.
  • Options

That's a big tempo Reg although thoses paces seem a bit strong! 10s over 5k pace?? My coach runs a 14.20 road 5k and tempos at 5.20-5.30. Its the effort that counts though, always difficult to hit paces when you're on big mileage.

45 mins on the turbo last night at easy HR effort. Forgot how sweaty it gets! Off to the gym tonight for 10 x 1min intervals on the cross trainer.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, effort can be the constant,  but pace by virtue of other factors is invariably the variable. 

The variable for me right now is being back on the bike again. A tweaked knee.

Just a remnant of the accident I had a few months back which gave the same knee a real whack.
    Can't feel a thing on the bike or walking about. But if I run it shows itself. 

I'll leave it alone for a while.

In the meantime I did a two hour hill session on the bike. I did something similar back in October, but this was way better. Never felt tired in that drained manner. 

🙂

• Options
    Continuous SG, those paces do seem ambitous. I'll have a proper read through it later to check I got it right. Anyway, I made no attempt to do that pace and I paced it by feel/HR.

The mileage does make a difference, not just a bit of fatigue but also feeling better afterwards, normally I would be a bit sore after a session like that but I feel better conditioned for it.

Shame about the niggle Ric, hope you get back on foot soon.

Do you have a fan Stevie W?
  • Options

Still decent training Ric. Good tempo Reg, they are really the bastard of all sessions in my book

Stevie - hope calf clears up on schedule

So yesterday I thought I'd try the Poland session to toughen me up for the 3000 in March. Its basically double the 1k reps I do in Regents Pk - with the first 500m slightly down and the 2nd slightly up, then do it again. So it's 4 x 2k off 2 mins.

Came in at 6.20, 6.14,6.14,6.12. Obviously that's not a full 2k - probably 40 odd metres short, add on 10-15 secs or so I reckon. Still not too bad. Might try that session once a week or so for a strength base.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg - looking at it more, your 10k pb 35.11 is 5.40 pace.
    So imagine hitting 10k race pace for a solo 10k tempo? :)

You didn't say (or i missed it), what plan is it you're working to? If it's Daniels, you're definitely misreading. ;)

Hang on Ric - not good with the knee, speedy recovery.
    But the 100 mile weeks can't have helped then? Presume that was a very temporary experiment for that leaderboard?

2k reps Simon! Think I may have done those once before. Feel a very long way on a track! So at least you can spice it up a bit elsewhere.

Traffic was poor today, so switched my 6&4 round. I realise now why I like to do the longer run of the day first! Felt a bit of a slog about. Probably my fault for insisting on trying a new "route" out, of 2miles down a windy Bath Road. Plus underestimating how far 6miles is, meaning the original planned route was a mere 4.5. 
    Always feels a bind when you have to make up mileage at the end doesn't it.
  • Options
    Reg - I have got a fan so will get that set up for tomorrow and Fridays pyramid session, will probably need two! Agree about the mileage, by peak week I did 7 x mile reps on Tuesday and a 10m tempo at 6.25-6.30 on the Friday. Not sure I could do either at the moment!
  • Options
    SG, looking at it, they (Faster Road Racing by Pete Pfitzinger/Philip Latter) only states a range of 5:40-5:50 for LT workouts. That covers anything from 800m intervals up to 40 minute tempo continuous efforts. I have to assume therefore a 38 minute interval is 5:50, being about as long as they get. Clearly this is a bit ambitious.